• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Thai Translation Of Guru Granth Sahib Completed

Jun 1, 2004
Thai translation of Guru Granth Sahib completed
Varinder Walia
Tribune News Service
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040819/world.htm#2

Bangkok, August 18

History was created when a Sikh woman from Thailand, Bibi Jaspal Kaur, completed the translation of Guru Granth Sahib into Thai language after seven years of labour. The endeavour will help the new generation of Thai Sikhs, not versed with Gurmukhi script, to understand the holy scripture.

Mr Rajbir Singh , Director (South-East Asia) of International Institute of Gurmat Studies (IIGS), said Bibi Jaspal Kaur had to coin many word-characters which were not prevalent in the Thai language.

The first ‘hukmnama’ (order) would be recited from the Thai translation in the local Singh Sabha Gurdwara shortly to mark the 400th - anniversary celebrations of the installation of Guru Granth Sahib, scheduled to be organised all over the world from September 1.

Earlier, Bibi Jaspal Kaur had translated ‘Sukhmani Sahib’ and ‘Punj Banian’ (the five holy scriptures) into the Thai language.

The Adi Guru Granth Sahib consists of approximately 3000 hymns of carefully- recorded authorship. Over 2400 hymns were composed by the Sikh Gurus who lived between 1469 and 1675 in Punjab.

It makes Guru Granth Sahib a rich repository of dialects that were prevalent in the northern India during medieval times.

Mr Rajbir Singh said Bibi Jaspal Kaur was being honoured by the SGPC for her contribution to Sikhism.

The translated works of Bibi Jaspal Kaur had already been displayed in the Sikh museum at Darbar Sahib and other Sikh museums.

There are more than 50,000 Sikhs living in various parts of Thailand. Though many Sikhs ,especially the old generation, know Gurmukhi yet the translation would help the new generation to understand the holy scripture .

Earlier, a booklet on Sikhism in the Thai language, translated by Mr Mahinder Singh Champi of Bangkok, was released by Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti , Jathedar Akal Takht and Mr Manjit Singh Calcutta , an SGPC member, at a function held in ‘Sardar House’. The booklet was produced and distributed on the behalf of Mr Narotam Singh Narang.

Mr Rajbir Singh said Bibi Jaspal Kaur was also honoured at a function held in the White House and other parts of the world for her contribution to Sikhism.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Thats great :)

I wonder, if there is any process by which such translations are reviewed, before making public, to ensure the sanctity of Gurubani in translated versions.

Thanks.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
Thats great a good step forward, but yeah the point raised by thinking is also valid abt the sanctity of the baani n whether the proper justice is done in thai language..

Odion

SPNer
Aug 21, 2009
I wasn't aware Thailand had such a large population of Sikhs :)

I'd like to know more about translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji - what languages are they available in?

Two translations I'm curious to are Russian, Spanish and Hebrew, because I know some people who speak these languages and would love for them to be able to read it (which they have expressed an interest in). :)

Although as far as I'm aware, there aren't many Sikhi in Russia or Israel..

I also just noticed this topic is over from 2004, too. :D

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I have personally met Rajbir Singh and Jaspal Kaur in a wedding function in Bangkok.
That was in 1995. 15 years ago. Time really flies.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Time flies indeed! Can it be possible for you to get in touch with them and procure this Thai Translation for benefit of Sikh Sangat?
:happysingh:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The last I met Rajbir Singh Ji was in Perth Samelan in 1999. 300 years of Khalsa.
He was the team leader who conducted the Samelan for youths.

Bapa is the elder cousin brother of Rajbir.
Bhapa is a retired Indian Army Capt. now staying in California.

But now I've lost touch with them because of my divorce, as they are close to my ex-wife's family.
Here's their state of the art website.
International Institute of Gurumat Studies - Vision

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM