• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spicy Chai Cake - Vegan

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
My favourite cake. It's more dark and dense than light and fluffy. And, as cakes go, it's not all that bad for you. A bit caloric, I suppose, but you can't have everything, now can you?

I have done the metric conversions. Living in the USA, most of my measuring things are in the archaic system used only there and elsewhere by a few fuddy-0duddies over 50..

Spicy Chai Cake
Just possibly the best tasting cake I've ever made. And no eggs!

This is my own recipe. I was attempting to make a wholewheat vegan cake that tasted good enough to actually eat. If cayenne seems strange, try it before you say it's no good. A bit of bite really adds something. I usually add a bit more than the recipe calls for. And feel free to vary the spices and the amounts.

After baking the cake, drench it with the cardamon-simple syrup mixture.

1 1/2 cups [355 ml] whole wheat flour, sifted
1 cup [237 ml] sugar
3 Tbsp [45 ml] additional flour
1 tsp. [5 ml] baking powder
1 Tbsp. [15 ml] ground green cardamon
1 tsp. [5 ml] allspice
1/2 tsp. [2.5 ml] cloves
1 tsp [5 ml] nutmeg
1 tsp [5 ml] cinnamon
1 tsp.[5 ml] cayenne pepper - more or less to your own "heat" preference
1 tsp.[5 ml] rose water
1 Tbsp.[15 ml] lemon juice
5 Tbsp. [75 ml]vegetable oil
1 cup [237 ml] cold strong black, unsweetened tea, preferably decaffeinated

Preheat the oven to 350°F [177° C]. Lightly grease a 9-inch [23 cm] cake pan.

In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingrediants. Combine wet ingrediants. Mix into dry ingrediants until just combined.

Pour into the prepared cake pan and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.

Drizzle with simple syrup flavoured with cardamon and rose water.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Simple syrup: Combine equal parts sugar and water, bring to boil. Boil for about three minutes, add enough cardamon to flavour it, just a bit, and a tiny amount of rose water.

Note: If you really don't like rose water, it can be left out, but it won't be nearly as good.

Second note: I suppose this could be made as a loaf cake, but I like the large surface area to pour the syrup over.

Attachments

• Orange_Whole_Wheat_Cake small.jpeg
    Orange_Whole_Wheat_Cake small.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Reads: 435
Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM