• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Simran And Kara

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Should Simran and Kara be on the same wrist or does it not matter?

Also for sue of simran, must it be draped over the hand like the hindus: right hand, but with it draped over the middle finger, using thumb to count, and the index finger not touching the beads?

In buddhism we used the left hand, with it draped over the index finger.

thank you for your help and advices,
Surinderjit

Apr 4, 2007
only using certain hand or certain fingers to touch the beads is superstition and ritual, not something sikhs should have to worry about. :)

some people wear their mala on the same hand as kadha, some wear it on the other. when i wear one, i wear it on the left hand as i don't like the noise if it touching my kadha all day (my mala is steel so it can be noisy!).

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Sherab,

As a Sikh you don't have to use beads with simran -- there is no Sikh recipe for draping beads on your hand, though some who have grown up in a Hindu culture use beads -- mala.

This topic of prayer beads was discussed some time ago on the forum. This link may be useful to you.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/1771-108-mala-beads.html
I am coming from buddhist background, i have done over 300,000 of mani amntra (chenrezig in four arm form), so it is a habit...

so i will sue simran like i did with a buddhist mala then since it does not matter.. thank you all :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Should kara be worn all the time - for example while swimming or taking a shower even?

How does it not rust?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Should kara be worn all the time - for example while swimming or taking a shower even?

How does it not rust?

It depends how orthodox are you.the orthodox sikh says that 5ks should not be removed but there are circumstances where you have to remove them.so it is totaly up to you.

Apr 4, 2007

How does it not rust?

yes, you should wear it at all times if possible. obviously in some cases it must be removed... going through a metal detector or having an MRI or something... but do ardas and keep it in a safe place and it will be fine.

i've never had a problem with my kara rusting and i've worn it in swimming pools, lakes, oceans... if it's sarbloh and it gets rust you can rub it with sand until the rust is gone, this will also keep a bit of a shine on it. this is how we clean iron cooking utensils.

but steel karas shouldn't rust at all unless they're made of some inferior alloy.

hope this helps...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM