• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs In Temples

Jun 1, 2008
Sat shri akal,:}{}{}:

i hav a question in my mind:yes: what is a sikh expected to do when visiting temples ?:inca: all those going to temple bow before idols and as a sikh i dont feel like doing that:mad:. the only option left is not to visit a temple:rolleyes:. but when someone invites me to his/her home for a function or something like that:unsure: and i hav to bow before idols i feel as if im gone die at that very moment:8-:). i hav escaped such moment many a times in my life but now im looking for a solution. hope il get one here:thumbup:

gurfateh

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Well, you have to respect other people's religious values. SGGS does not say you cannot bow down to an idol. God is everywhere, even in that idol. So don't worry, just bow down. :yes:

Why shoudn't Sikhs visit temples? From the pictures they look very beautiful and are desgined very well.

Why this anti Hinduism (on a small level in your case)? SGGS does not express it so where are you getting this from?

Jun 1, 2008
Bhagat singh ji,:whisling:
i think that a sikh should only bow to guru ji and not before some idols:inca: .we r simply replacing guru ji by that idol when we bow before it.:inca:
Thoughts come to mind throught mind itself-Guru Nanak:yes:
and this thought came to my mind. I understand that all this is done to show respect but in doing so we simply forget that we r actually worshiping those idols.
I never used the word "hindu".;)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat singh ji,:whisling:
i think that a sikh should only bow to guru ji and not before some idols:inca: .we r simply replacing guru ji by that idol when we bow before it.:inca:
Thoughts come to mind throught mind itself-Guru Nanak:yes:
and this thought came to my mind. I understand that all this is done to show respect but in doing so we simply forget that we r actually worshiping those idols.
I never used the word "hindu".;)
haha ok so u didnt use hindu. :)

But you are not replacing the Guru when you show respect to the idols. You follow SGGS but respect everyone else including idols.

Define worshipping for me please.

Jun 1, 2008
Bhagat ji,
for ur information im a weak debater.:p
and u hav a slow understanding :D
anyways thanks for ur suggestions and stop calling ur self a sikh u sound as if a hindu missionary.;):p

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji and Saint Solider ji,

It seems that you are both implying the same thing. But you are both using an indirect way of saying it -- you are using irony. Saying the opposite of what you each actually intend to say. Appearance only of debate. Read again and tell me whether you agree or disagree.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji,
for ur information im a weak debater.:p

No prob.

and u hav a slow understanding :D
Haha you might be right. But today for sure lol Ive been up all night trying to get my assignment done... I was bored...

anyways thanks for ur suggestions and stop calling ur self a sikh u sound as if a hindu missionary.;):p
Just cuz i respect other people's faith, I am a hindu missionary?
You are a weak debater or maybe i am not understanding you or both. :p

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji and Saint Solider ji,

It seems that you are both implying the same thing. But you are both using an indirect way of saying it -- you are using irony. Saying the opposite of what you each actually intend to say. Appearance only of debate. Read again and tell me whether you agree or disagree.
Aad ji oh great one!! :wah: just explain it to us!! :D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Are you not both saying that Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the only one deserving of devotion? And that people sink to worshiping idols out of ignorance? If I am wrong that is fine. But I am picking up irony ( a form of sarcasm) in both of you -- denying in words what you really mean in thoughts.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Are you not both saying that Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the only one deserving of devotion? And that people sink to worshiping idols out of ignorance? If I am wrong that is fine. But I am picking up irony ( a form of sarcasm) in both of you -- denying in words what you really mean in thoughts.
Yes and Yes but he is saying that he cant bow down to idols because he feels bad while doing so. He feels bad because he thinkins bowing down means worshipping.
I am saying bowing down is a sign of respect.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Show me where in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji or in any hukam by the Guru or in Dasam Granth a Sikh can bow down to an idol?
Show me in SGGS where is says Sikhs cannot bow down to an idol.:yes:

You always want to argue, don't you? :D

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Come on guys.

I have been to a Mosque on two occasions, does not mean I have become a Muslim!!
According to some people...
Show me where in SGGS and (so called) DG it says you don't become a Muslim when you go to a Mosque on two occasions? :advocate:

hehe, c'mon people use common sense. Guru Nanak Dev ji could do it so can you!! :happy:

Show me in SGGS where is says Sikhs cannot bow down to an idol.:yes:

You always want to argue, don't you? :D

I want to argue! that's the last thing i want to do.

I am simply asking you where in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji it says you can do it because you said one can out of respect, which means surely you read it in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. So point me, to this shabad or tuk?

If my question sound like, I want to start an arguement then I am sorry and that is not my intention at all.

So please show me this tuk or shabad

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Guru Nanak in context of idol respect

Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ
Hinḏū mūle bẖūle akẖutī jāʼnhī.
The Hindus have forgotten the Primal Lord; they are going the wrong way.

ਨਾਰਦਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਿ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਾਂਹੀ
Nāraḏ kahi▫ā sė pūj karāʼnhī.
As Naarad instructed them, they are worshipping idols.

ਅੰਧੇ ਗੁੰਗੇ ਅੰਧ ਅੰਧਾਰੁ
Anḏẖe gunge anḏẖ anḏẖār.
They are blind and mute, the blindest of the blind.

ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ
/
Pāthar le pūjėh mugaḏẖ gavār.
The ignorant fools pick up stones and worship them.

ਓਹਿ ਜਾ ਆਪਿ ਡੁਬੇ ਤੁਮ ਕਹਾ ਤਰਣਹਾਰੁ (SGGS Ji 556)
Ohi jā āp dube ṯum kahā ṯaraṇhār. ||2||
But when those stones themselves sink, who will carry you across? ||2||

Guru Nanak in context of idol respect

Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ
Hinḏū mūle bẖūle akẖutī jāʼnhī.
The Hindus have forgotten the Primal Lord; they are going the wrong way.

ਨਾਰਦਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਿ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਾਂਹੀ
Nāraḏ kahi▫ā sė pūj karāʼnhī.
As Naarad instructed them, they are worshipping idols.

ਅੰਧੇ ਗੁੰਗੇ ਅੰਧ ਅੰਧਾਰੁ
Anḏẖe gunge anḏẖ anḏẖār.
They are blind and mute, the blindest of the blind.

ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ
/ Pāthar le pūjėh mugaḏẖ gavār.
The ignorant fools pick up stones and worship them.

ਓਹਿ ਜਾ ਆਪਿ ਡੁਬੇ ਤੁਮ ਕਹਾ ਤਰਣਹਾਰੁ (SGGS Ji 556)
Ohi jā āp dube ṯum kahā ṯaraṇhār. ||2||
But when those stones themselves sink, who will carry you across? ||2||

Thank you Pk70 ji

As I understand this shabad it is saying people should not worship idols at all. If we do then we are spiritually blind and will not be liberated. So we shouldnt bow down to an idol at all.

Please correct me if I am wrong

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Thank you Pk70 ji

As I understand this shabad it is saying people should not worship idols at all. If we do then we are spiritually blind and will not be liberated. So we shouldnt bow down to an idol at all.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Absolutely you are right Singh ji
We should show deep respect to other people’s choices of faith but it doesn’t mean we should do what they do. How we can show respect to the idol we do not believe in? If we try, we will be displaying a show of hypocrisy.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
That shabad did not say to not bow down to an idol. It said worshipping idols is ignorance.
So I stand by my point of bowing down to respect, which is actually what bowing down means!!

I am still waiting...:D

OH forgot to answer this:
As I understand this shabad it is saying people should not worship idols at all. If we do then we are spiritually blind and will not be liberated.
I have no idea, how you came to the conclusion below with what you have above...

So we shouldnt bow down to an idol at all.
Do you bow down to SGGS because you are worshipping it? I assuming, of course, that you bow down to it and don't simply sit in the sangat after taking off your shoes etc.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM