• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

thedal85

SPNer
Oct 12, 2008
that's pretty disturbing I just came across this site cuz I was looking for desi/sikh tattoos mostly for the lion.I'm still in contemplation of getting a tattoo but after seeing the link for the idiot with Gurbani on the back I think I'll stay far away from religion and repersenting Sikhi all toghter cuz it is contradicting because our bodies are supposed to be our temple, a gift from God etc.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Let us remember what Guru Nanak said, before we rush to judge one another:
"If you cannot see God in all, you cannot see God at all."
Wahe Guru
Kulwant

Kulwant K Ji
Well come back and congratulations on health recovery !

With all due respect, I have to say that these words are not of Guru Nanak, obviously Bhajan Yogi used to quote it; if I am wrong, kindly provide me "ang(page) of Sree Guru Granth Sahib ji? Thanks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually,

Nanak V did say something like that -- not exactly.... (Ang 51)

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਭਰਮੁ ਕਾਟਿਆ ਸਗਲ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੨੫॥੯੫॥
kahu naanak gur bharam kaattiaa sagal breham beechaar ||4||25||95||
Says Nanak, the Guru has removed my doubts; I recognize God in all. ||4||25||95||

And also, (Ang 897)

ਜਿਸੁ ਭੇਟਤ ਮਿਟੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥
jis bhaettath mittai abhimaan ||
Meeting Him, egotistical pride is eradicated,

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
paarabreham sabh nadharee aavai kar kirapaa pooran bhagavaan ||1|| rehaao ||
and you will come to see the Supreme Lord God in all. The Perfect Lord God has showered His Mercy. ||1||Pause||

Granted not the same exact thing. But the idea is the same. That is what Yogi Bhajan was getting at, I think.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Actually,

Nanak V did say something like that -- not exactly.... (Ang 51)

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਭਰਮੁ ਕਾਟਿਆ ਸਗਲ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੨੫॥੯੫॥
kahu naanak gur bharam kaattiaa sagal breham beechaar ||4||25||95||
Says Nanak, the Guru has removed my doubts; I recognize God in all. ||4||25||95||

And also, (Ang 897)

ਜਿਸੁ ਭੇਟਤ ਮਿਟੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥
jis bhaettath mittai abhimaan ||
Meeting Him, egotistical pride is eradicated,

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
paarabreham sabh nadharee aavai kar kirapaa pooran bhagavaan ||1|| rehaao ||
and you will come to see the Supreme Lord God in all. The Perfect Lord God has showered His Mercy. ||1||Pause||

Granted not the same exact thing. But the idea is the same. That is what Yogi Bhajan was getting at, I think.

aad ji
With due respect, the quote of Guru ji, you have given, doesn't translate it as the quot stated above though Guru stresses HE permeates in all but doesn't say the way quote goes, I have problem with those who say their own words in the name of Guru ji. It is just like" Naam Khumari Nanaka charee rahe din raat" idea resembles with Guru's idea but in this form, he never said that. Sorry to be in disagreement

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
I do not hold it as a bad thing at all. I have known many Sikhs with these, and they are wonderful people and great Sikhs! God and Guru love you no matter what, and if other people are judging you, perhaps they are the ones with some sort of difficulty.

People go on and on about tattooing not being natural, that it alters God's work of the body, and so on. Well, if we are to carry this to its furthest stupidest extreme, then it is not natural to get braces on the teeth if they are needed, so one cannot properly chew all one's life and suffer the consequences.

It is not natural to wear corrective lenses for the eyes, so one goes blind and suffers through that. It is not natural to wear clothing, so one will freeze in the winter.

It is not natural to cut one's nails, so they will grow and break in a painful manner, but, oh, we are supposed to suffer through all these things because that's God's design-

oh, it's God's design that we are to suffer all through our lives, and be miserable, and sickly, and cold all the time, and so on and so forth? Sounds like the extreme form of Jainism, which, if you study it carefully enough, has nothing to do with God but everything to do with Ego, when you are supposed to suffer through all these lousy things, including the never brushing of your teeth, because, oh heaven forbid, you might actually kill some bacteria, so you have rotten teeth and horrible breath all your life, because then it shows What A Pious Person You Are, and Aren't We All Supposed to Be In Awe of You. Pure Ego, simple as that.

Extremism in any form is not balanced, and one of the main things about Sikhism has to do with Balance in your life. You balance the physical with the spiritual, and by doing so you can actually, amazingly enough, begin to lead a happy life, and ideally, inspire others to do the same.

Someone dissing you simply because you happen to have a couple of tattoos on your body is really rather petty of them, and not at all loving, the way that God is loving, and that is one of the things the Gurus want us to remember- To See God At All, You Must See God In All, which is what I say to anyone who whines and complains about tattoos. There are plenty more important things to get worked up over. Wahe Guru!

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england
imho..tatoos are like Graffittee...some love it..others loathe it..(especially the owners of the grafitee stained buildings)..OUR BODY is NOT OURS TO OWN..we are just LEASEHOLDERS !!!:}{}{}::}{}{}::}{}{}:
Might be true Gyani ji but some graffitee is now classed as art and there is an now a display of such art in a gallery in Bristol, saw a bit of it and it looks quite good,
And imho it doesnt matter what we do to our bodies they dont go with you they are just absorbed back into the ground ready to be reused by the next spirit, Gods recycling process.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone;
Other things besides tattoos and graffitti to get worked up over could include the ridiculous state of education for everyone all over the world. Why is it that a priviledged few get to go to really amazing universities and hopefully get very good educations, and the rest have to either work and not go to school at all, or end up having to drop out. (I do not know this for sure, but have heard that much of higher education in countries like Germany is free.) How is it that so many children the world over are dying because of malnutrition and no one seems to really care. Why is it that so many in Europe, America and parts of Asia are starting to talk about sustainable buildings and citystyles, but all those supposedly well educated people who went to the wonderful universities to learn about such things, as well as learning about medicine, are not talking about how to bring all these great ideas to places like villages in India? Maybe they have been, and I have not heard about it.

...And here we are quibbling about graffitti and tattoos. Are we going to start arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin next?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Sat Nam, everyone;
Other things besides tattoos and graffitti to get worked up over could include the ridiculous state of education for everyone all over the world. Why is it that a priviledged few get to go to really amazing universities and hopefully get very good educations, and the rest have to either work and not go to school at all, or end up having to drop out. (I do not know this for sure, but have heard that much of higher education in countries like Germany is free.) How is it that so many children the world over are dying because of malnutrition and no one seems to really care. Why is it that so many in Europe, America and parts of Asia are starting to talk about sustainable buildings and citystyles, but all those supposedly well educated people who went to the wonderful universities to learn about such things, as well as learning about medicine, are not talking about how to bring all these great ideas to places like villages in India? Maybe they have been, and I have not heard about it.

...And here we are quibbling about graffitti and tattoos. Are we going to start arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin next?

When we look at things like the state a country is in, it is really the goverment of the country that we should be looking at.

If the poor are not fed and adequatly looked after is it correct to call to those sons and daughters who have studied abroad and not come home, or is it better to look at the goverment.

Why seek an education abroad? Look to the goverment for all of these answers.

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england
Kulwantk ji
My wife was on about sponsering a child in africa, I would much rather help in the punjab, do you know of any schemes that do this, I also read about a small short term loan scheme to help the farmers in the rural areas but cant remember where I read it, if any one could help with information for either schemes I would love to hear from you. Sorry Antonia ji a little bit off topic but as someone brought it up I couldnt think of a better place to ask.
Tony

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Ji, not to worry about being off topic. I, too, would rather do good works starting at home. Indeed, there is a very old saying, "Charity begins at home.", and this is true. One is reminded of how the stewards and stewardesses on the airline flights, when they are explaining how to use the oxygen mask, always tell the passengers to put their own mask on first, before attempting to assist someone else with theirs. The same is true here.

I beg everyone's forgiveness if I have been impatient, rude or snappish in my comments. My apologies.

We judge ourselves and each other all the time. We judge people on the way they are dressed, whether or not they are wearing makeup, jewelry, what sorts of shoes they wear, how they walk, move, how they talk, and whether or not they have tattoos, and if so, what sort of tattoo they have.

It is a most interesting phenomenon; we are told over and over again to not judge each other, and yet almost from birth we do.

Even though we as Sikhs are told that there is no such thing as caste, we still deal with it. Look at the want ads in newspapers for brides and grooms: how many say things like, "Caste No Bar" or, on the other side of the coin, "Jat Sikh parents searching for.....".

In Europe and the Americas people still look at each other and figure out to which class someone belongs. It is shown by their dress, eating habits, speech patterns and what their education level may be, as well as by what job they may hold and where and if they went to University.

Yet God and Guru does not judge us by such things. We are all loved equally by God, no matter what.

We have been given two priceless gifts beyond measure; Ceativity and Free-Will Choice.

We can do things no other can do. You do not see a tree driving a car or painting a canvas do you? No, you see trees doing tree things. Have you ever seen a badger draw up architectural plans for a temple? You do not see cows going scuba diving, you see ithem doing cow things. Yet we can do all these amazing things and more.

This is one reason why Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us the Kara; it is a reminder, among other things, that we are to do Good Works with our hands.

We are not born with Karas on our wrists. Ultimately, it is our decision to wear one, along with the other 4 items, each with its meaning.

We come into this world naked; no clothes and no coherent speech. We are absolutely helpless on our own and must depend on others to assist us in learning how to make our way in this world.

It has been said that to get a tattoo is altering God's design, and it is not right to do that, that it is not natural.

It is not natural to wear clothing, build a house, build and drive a car, get one's teeth cleaned at the dentist, or use a knife and fork with which to eat. It is not natural to use a cup or mug to drink water or chai. It is not natural to have a doctor or midwife present at the birth of a child.

These things are learned.

So, in the purely natural state, it is not natural to engage in any of the activities we associate with not only living the lives we do, but it could not comsidered natural to live even as basically as tribespeople do.

They do not have cars; many walk or ride horses or donkeys.

Riding something is not natural; it is learned.

Squatting on the dirt floor of a hut and making a crude fire with which to cook meat is not natural; making fires and cooking are not natural; they are learned.

So where is it that we learn to judge each other all the time, even while we are being told by all sorts of authorities we should not be judging each other?

It is interesting that we totally embrace some avenues of learning, and completely reject others- and oftenly, in rejecting, reject the people who have chosen those avenues, judging those people to be "idiots" or "narrow-minded fools" and other such things, oftentimes simply because they look different, or do not wear their hair the way we do, or speak a different language than us, or pray in a different way, or express their devotion in a different manner.

So, back to tattoos: how might you or I look at someone who has "Wahe Guru" tattooed on their arm, as compared to someone who has "Mom" tattooed on their arm, as compared to someone who has the logo of a very loud Heavy Metal type rock band tattooed on their arm? Think about that for a moment. What do you think those tattoos say about the people who are wearing them? When you have clearly identified, within yourself, exactly what your feelings are towards each of these examples, think about yourself; and get this: everyone with whom you come into contact is judging you!

We judge each other oftenly without even realizing it; the habit is so strong!

Everything about you; the way you look, your clothes, your food, the way you eat it, your speech, your actions; everything is being judged by others. Also, almost everything about you is the result of a choice or a series of choices you have made.

You choose the clothes you wear, the food you eat, the way you eat it, how well you take care of your body, your health, your home, your environment, your education and your attitude.

A pertinent question could be posed: What is your attitude towards ________________(fill in the blank with any subject you choose) and how did you come by it?

So, back to tattoos: What, if any, attitude do you have towards someone who has a tattoo? How have you come to have the attitude you do towards that individual?

Do you see that individual as an "idiot" or do you see them as someone who is a brother or sister of yours who happened to make a particular choice? Are you judging them? Or perhaps you are judging their choice?

Compare how your various attitudes towards things and people make you feel. Some attitudes definitely feel better than others!

See how the various judgements you make have you feeling. Does it really feel all that great to judge? So often, when we are judging, what we are really doing is attempting to make ourselves feel better about ourselves by putting someone else "down". Does that really work in the long run? Is it really a compassionate thing to do?

So the next time you see someone who has a tattoo, think about these things. Then think about all the other things and concerns I have brought up- education, health, and all those sorts of matters.

Then ask yourself what your real priorities are in life.

amrit.saggu

SPNer
Jul 17, 2009
Just because you can, does it mean it's right? It seems to be deeply imbedded in the human spirit: "if we can get away with it, it's ok" One reason why the planet is so f---ed up and pouuted. And we are trying to make our religion better when following what the SGGS and our guru's have said, is suddenly going against it ok?

Our planet is not messed up. Everything happens in divine will. Guru ji teaches that there is no good or bad, it is only a matter of perspective. Like Bhagat Kabir teaches Aval Allah noor upaya, Kudrat ke sab bandhey...if we decide to label good and bad, we are labelling God himself. Wake up people, lets look at the bigger picture.
and to whomever states "having gurbani tattooed on your body then having intercourse is disrespect"...it may not be my place to say but I believe intercourse is very natural and we have turned it into taboo through social conditioning. Also, a Sikh strives to have Naam in each breath, and to keep naam in ones heart at all times. Why would this be any different during these so call "taboo" times?

God bless
Amrit

amrit.saggu

SPNer
Jul 17, 2009
Sat Nam, Ji, not to worry about being off topic. I, too, would rather do good works starting at home. Indeed, there is a very old saying, "Charity begins at home.", and this is true. One is reminded of how the stewards and stewardesses on the airline flights, when they are explaining how to use the oxygen mask, always tell the passengers to put their own mask on first, before attempting to assist someone else with theirs. The same is true here.

I beg everyone's forgiveness if I have been impatient, rude or snappish in my comments. My apologies.

We judge ourselves and each other all the time. We judge people on the way they are dressed, whether or not they are wearing makeup, jewelry, what sorts of shoes they wear, how they walk, move, how they talk, and whether or not they have tattoos, and if so, what sort of tattoo they have.

It is a most interesting phenomenon; we are told over and over again to not judge each other, and yet almost from birth we do.

Even though we as Sikhs are told that there is no such thing as caste, we still deal with it. Look at the want ads in newspapers for brides and grooms: how many say things like, "Caste No Bar" or, on the other side of the coin, "Jat Sikh parents searching for.....".

In Europe and the Americas people still look at each other and figure out to which class someone belongs. It is shown by their dress, eating habits, speech patterns and what their education level may be, as well as by what job they may hold and where and if they went to University.

Yet God and Guru does not judge us by such things. We are all loved equally by God, no matter what.

We have been given two priceless gifts beyond measure; Ceativity and Free-Will Choice.

We can do things no other can do. You do not see a tree driving a car or painting a canvas do you? No, you see trees doing tree things. Have you ever seen a badger draw up architectural plans for a temple? You do not see cows going scuba diving, you see ithem doing cow things. Yet we can do all these amazing things and more.

This is one reason why Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us the Kara; it is a reminder, among other things, that we are to do Good Works with our hands.

We are not born with Karas on our wrists. Ultimately, it is our decision to wear one, along with the other 4 items, each with its meaning.

We come into this world naked; no clothes and no coherent speech. We are absolutely helpless on our own and must depend on others to assist us in learning how to make our way in this world.

It has been said that to get a tattoo is altering God's design, and it is not right to do that, that it is not natural.

It is not natural to wear clothing, build a house, build and drive a car, get one's teeth cleaned at the dentist, or use a knife and fork with which to eat. It is not natural to use a cup or mug to drink water or chai. It is not natural to have a doctor or midwife present at the birth of a child.

These things are learned.

So, in the purely natural state, it is not natural to engage in any of the activities we associate with not only living the lives we do, but it could not comsidered natural to live even as basically as tribespeople do.

They do not have cars; many walk or ride horses or donkeys.

Riding something is not natural; it is learned.

Squatting on the dirt floor of a hut and making a crude fire with which to cook meat is not natural; making fires and cooking are not natural; they are learned.

So where is it that we learn to judge each other all the time, even while we are being told by all sorts of authorities we should not be judging each other?

It is interesting that we totally embrace some avenues of learning, and completely reject others- and oftenly, in rejecting, reject the people who have chosen those avenues, judging those people to be "idiots" or "narrow-minded fools" and other such things, oftentimes simply because they look different, or do not wear their hair the way we do, or speak a different language than us, or pray in a different way, or express their devotion in a different manner.

So, back to tattoos: how might you or I look at someone who has "Wahe Guru" tattooed on their arm, as compared to someone who has "Mom" tattooed on their arm, as compared to someone who has the logo of a very loud Heavy Metal type rock band tattooed on their arm? Think about that for a moment. What do you think those tattoos say about the people who are wearing them? When you have clearly identified, within yourself, exactly what your feelings are towards each of these examples, think about yourself; and get this: everyone with whom you come into contact is judging you!

We judge each other oftenly without even realizing it; the habit is so strong!

Everything about you; the way you look, your clothes, your food, the way you eat it, your speech, your actions; everything is being judged by others. Also, almost everything about you is the result of a choice or a series of choices you have made.

You choose the clothes you wear, the food you eat, the way you eat it, how well you take care of your body, your health, your home, your environment, your education and your attitude.

A pertinent question could be posed: What is your attitude towards ________________(fill in the blank with any subject you choose) and how did you come by it?

So, back to tattoos: What, if any, attitude do you have towards someone who has a tattoo? How have you come to have the attitude you do towards that individual?

Do you see that individual as an "idiot" or do you see them as someone who is a brother or sister of yours who happened to make a particular choice? Are you judging them? Or perhaps you are judging their choice?

Compare how your various attitudes towards things and people make you feel. Some attitudes definitely feel better than others!

See how the various judgements you make have you feeling. Does it really feel all that great to judge? So often, when we are judging, what we are really doing is attempting to make ourselves feel better about ourselves by putting someone else "down". Does that really work in the long run? Is it really a compassionate thing to do?

So the next time you see someone who has a tattoo, think about these things. Then think about all the other things and concerns I have brought up- education, health, and all those sorts of matters.

Then ask yourself what your real priorities are in life.

That is so beautiful Kulwant Kaur. Thanks for your wonderful insight; so very true.

Roop Kaur

SPNer
Mar 4, 2010
I think that in constantly fighting about whether these sorts of things are right or wrong is kind of lame ... Waheguru will love us nevertheless- whether or not we have a tattoo! Having a tattoo is not going to bring you any closer to Waheguru, nor will it pull you away.

However, I just quickly want to give my little spin on it ... If the purpose of the tattoo is to inflate ones Ego (Ahankar), which, as most of you probably know is one of the 5 evils of Sikhism, then I am strictly against it. If however, it is an Ik Onkar, or a Khanda, that has tattoo'd on an easily seen part of your body, like your hand or something, which will remind you of god throughout the day, I don't see any problem with it. It'd serve a similar purpose as a Karaa, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Although, I was born into a Sikh family, they are not so religious. Nor am I, this is something I am working on at the moment, and am still hungry for greater knowledge, but from what I understand so far, there was my little opinion. Sorry, if I have annoyed anyone, my apologies in advance.

God Bless

team verde

SPNer
Jan 14, 2011
When it boils down to it tattoos are just art (decoration) on one's body. But there can be so much more to it-meaning. It can be a reminder of one's faith, a symbol of hope, and so much more.

I do have a tattoo and was told it was wrong to have one.

However, no one but yourself can decide what is good or bad (in so many words, as shakespeare would say)

I know lots of sikhs who disapprove of my tattoo, I really believe Society has a lot to do with how sikhs (and others) in general view tattoos, like conditioning and learned behaviors. I know lots of people who look down at people with tattoos-and look down on me.

And if you think about it, humans are animals, we evolved throughout the years, we still have the same instinct of animals, but have been blessed with reason. We strive to be above instinct; hence rules and society.

But back to tattoos: all in all, there is nothing wrong with getting tattoos, its up to you to decide it is bad or good. Think of why you want it, not because others tell you what it is or isn't. Sometimes I wonder why people judge others, what gives anyone the right to? I mean you don't know what happened to that person or what lead to that person's decision...

Just thought it was important someone get this out there. :sippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM