• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Atheism Sikhism And Atheism: A Philosophical Discourse

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Why Sikhism?

I don't agree with all that is in this article, but it appears to be an article to think about.

Science and Other Beliefs - Ross Douthat
Science and Other Beliefs

06 Feb 2009 04:36 pm
Jim Manzi and Alan Jacobs have already commented on Jerry Coyne's brief for the utter incompability of science and religion, and I basically share their view of the difficulties with Coyne's argument. The core problem, it seems to me, is that Coyne wants to contrast scientific rigor with religious fuzziness and only religious fuzziness; he doesn't want to admit that many realms of human thought and argument are more like theology than chemistry, which is to say that they don't come with a "laboratory-tested" seal of approval.

So he sets up the contrast between religion and science as follows:

What, then, is the nature of "religious truth" that supposedly complements "scientific truth"? The first thing we should ask is whether, and in what sense, religious assertions are "truths." Truth implies the possibility of falsity, so we should have a way of knowing whether religious truths are wrong. But unlike scientific truths, religious ones differ from person to person and sect to sect. And we all know of clear contradictions between the "truths" of different faiths. Christianity unambiguously claims the divinity of Jesus, and many assert that the road to salvation absolutely depends on accepting this claim, whereas the Koran states flatly that anyone accepting the divinity of Jesus will spend eternity in hell. These claims cannot both be "true," at least in a way that does not require intellectual contortions.
Assertions about God's nature also differ among faiths. Giberson explains, for example, that "centuries of Christian reflection on the nature of God have highlighted various characteristics of God: justice, love, goodness, holiness, grace, sovereignty, and so forth." But to those of other faiths, God can be vengeful, as Yahweh was in the Old Testament. Jews cannot imagine an incarnated God, the Word made flesh. Hindus, like ancient Greeks, accept multiple gods with different personalities. To deists, god is apathetic, while many theologians in all the monotheistic faiths claim that we cannot know anything about God's attributes. So which of these many characterizations is "true"? Anything touted as a "truth" must come with a method for being disproved--a method that does not depend on personal revelation. After all, thousands of people have had delusional revelations of "truth" with horrifying consequences.
As Manzi notes, "what Coyne is implying here is that scientific truth is the only form of truth; that no other way of knowing anything has any value or worth responds." But that's not what he actually believes, because further down in the essay we have this:

... the most important conflict--the one ignored by Giberson and Miller--is not between religion and science. It is between religion and secular reason. Secular reason includes science, but also embraces moral and political philosophy, mathematics, logic, history, journalism, and social science--every area that requires us to have good reasons for what we believe.
But "reason" and the "scientific method" are not coterminous: One can reason productively about questions that cannot be resolved through falsification tests. If this weren't the case, philosophy departments, historians, polemicists, and many social "scientists" would be out of business in a hurry. Indeed, if you took the two paragraphs quoted above, which dismiss the truth claims of religion, and substituted, say, "political philosophy" for "faith and "religon" throughout, the critique would make just as much sense (and just as little). Political philosophies vary from person to person and sect to sect; there are clear contradictions between the "truth claims" of, say, Locke and Hobbes, let alone Rawls and Plato; assertions about the nature of man differ wildly from philosopher to philosopher; and there's no empirical test one could devise, so far as I know, to disprove the arguments of The Genealogy of Morals.

Now of course religion is not a thing like political philosophy. But there are similarities between the way that belief operates in both religion and in politics. In making their case, an apologist for Christianity and an apologist for, say, liberal democracy are likely to draw on a similarly hodgepodge-ish set of claims - some philosophical, some historical, some scientific, some anthropological and some personal. Which is to say, both political and religious beliefs depend, in part, on an agglomeration of contentions and experiences that persuade, rather than a set of findings and experiments that prove. Obviously this analogy breaks down in crucial respects: Cults of personality aside, there's no direct analogue in politics to the kind of personal experience in which the most intense forms of religious belief are grounded. But where the intellectual case for religion is concerned, the analogy holds up well enough to be worth keeping in mind when confronted with the following argument from Coyne:

In the end, then, there is a fundamental distinction between scientific truths and religious truths, however you construe them. The difference rests on how you answer one question: how would I know if I were wrong? Darwin's colleague Thomas Huxley remarked that "science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact." As with any scientific theory, there are potentially many ugly facts that could kill Darwinism ... Since no such facts have ever appeared, we continue to accept evolution as true. Religious beliefs, on the other hand, are immune to ugly facts. Indeed, they are maintained in the face of ugly facts, such as the impotence of prayer. There is no way to adjudicate between conflicting religious truths as we can between competing scientific explanations. Most scientists can tell you what observations would convince them of God's existence, but I have never met a religious person who could tell me what would disprove it. And what could possibly convince people to abandon their belief that the deity is, as Giberson asserts, good, loving, and just? If the Holocaust cannot do it, then nothing will.
But of course people move in and out of religions all the time, based on experiences they've had, polemics they've read, and so forth. The belief in God is no more impervious to argument, alteration or abandonment than a belief in Randian objectivism or Rawlsian liberalism. Pace Coyne, the problem of theodicy does, in fact, persuade some people to abandon their belief in God - just as the sense that they've encountered God in prayer does, in fact, persuade some spiritually-inquisitive agnostics to take up a religion. Some religions' claims about the world look more implausible than others; some religions (like some political ideologies) lose adherents because their predictions don't come true; some religions clash directly with the current scientific consensus and some do not. (Even Coyne, who I think wildly overstates the conflict between Christianity and science, allows that "pantheism and some forms of Buddhism" are potentially compatible with scientific truth.) It's true that I can't think of a single one-off experiment that would disprove my belief in God once and for all, but I can think of all kinds of experiences and discoveries that would weaken that belief. And I'm pretty sure that Mother Teresa doubted the truth claims of Christianity more frequently than, say, Howard Dean has ever doubted the truth claims of the Democratic Party.

None of this means that Coyne is wrong to argue that science is more empirically-rigorous than religion, and thus worth favoring, provisionally at least, whenever a scientific claim conflicts directly with a religious one. But the standards of scientific rigor simply aren't the only standards that there are for holding warranted beliefs. And if you applied Coyne's "method of disproof" standard to every important question in life, you'd end up paralyzed by indecision - you'd never cast a vote or marry a woman, let alone choose which God to worship, or whether to worship one at all.

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.

I am talking about Darwin"s Theory of Evolution that we were taught in school and now our children are studying it.Pls.don"t go into psychology and philosophy of it.I am not much educated person.Just give a simple answer in "yes" or "no". :confused:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I have not left the discussion, just been really busy. I will be responding to the "proofs" of God posted by Narayanjot Kaur ji later.

I just wanted to come in to clarify that evolution is not a theory, it's a fact. Environment changes... so life changes to accommodate ... deal with it.
The mechanism by which Evolution takes place is a Theory, a very strong one however. It's called Natural Selection. In lay man terms Natural Selection should not be called a theory but a fact. A scientific theory that has stood the rigorous testing all around the world and is still accepted to this day, IS fact!

PS - You don't believe in evidence, you accept it.

Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I am talking about Darwin"s Theory of Evolution that we were taught in school and now our children are studying it.Pls.don"t go into psychology and philosophy of it.I am not much educated person.Just give a simple answer in "yes" or "no". :confused:

Jasbirkaleak ji

There is no simple answer. Science does not "prove" anything because it always leaves room for an ugly fact to pull a theory down. Science is in the business of falsifying, or showing that something is not factually true.

So here is what I believe. I believe that there have been no serious scientific challenges to Darwin's theory of Natural Selection. Only additions to it.

But we are talking about Sikhism and atheism in this thread -- that is the title. In law there is a saying. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. So to say that there is no scientific evidence of God is meaningless.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. So to say that there is no scientific evidence of God is meaningless.
Not exactly, absence of evidence means absence of evidence. Until one provides evidence, ones claim that God exists holds no value.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

I do not concur with your conclusion. Once the noted astronomer Carl Sagan interviewed the Dalai Lama on public television. He confronted the Dalai Lama saying, Tibetan Buddhism believes in reincarnation. There is no evidence for reincarnation. You are intelligent man. What will you do if science can prove that there is no truth to reincarnation. The Dalai Lama replied: If science can prove that there is no such thing as reincarnation, then Tibetan Buddhism will have to reject the truth of reincarnation. But you are going have a very hard time proving that reincarnation does not exist.

:D Let's applaud the Dalai Lama for being a clear thinker.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Not exactly, absence of evidence means absence of evidence. Until one provides evidence, ones claim that God exists holds no value.

Please read sections on the ontological proofs of God. And please consider my argument that science is not in the business of proving anything. Science is in the business of falsifying claims. How do you falsify a claim without evidence? All you can say is that there is no evidence. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - think about it.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Let me add: Without evidence (or in the absence of evidence) all science can do is reserve judgment. The honest answer for a scientist in the absence of evidence is to say, I don't know. That would be the "agnostic" rather than the "atheist" conclusion, thus admitting that there are real limitations to scientific inquiry.

Provable arguments default to the field of ontology. Which is why I brought that up in the first place.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji

I do not concur with your conclusion. Once the noted astronomer Carl Sagan interviewed the Dalai Lama on public television. He confronted the Dalai Lama saying, Tibetan Buddhism believes in reincarnation. There is no evidence for reincarnation. You are intelligent man. What will you do if science can prove that there is no truth to reincarnation. The Dalai Lama replied: If science can prove that there is no such thing as reincarnation, then Tibetan Buddhism will have to reject the truth of reincarnation. But you are going have a very hard time proving that reincarnation does not exist.

biggrin.gif
Let's applaud the Dalai Lama for being a clear thinker.
Yes let's applaud the Dalai Lama but not for thinking clearly but showing us how we all tend to think.
If there is no evidence for reincarnation, there is no reason to believe in it. But the reason for (almost complete) disbelief is that if it were true it would be high UNLIKELY.
Dalai Lama is not thinking clearly if he believes something just because science has not disproved it. Does he believe in Pink unicorns as well? Science hasn't disproved those either. In fact, science hasn't disproved a million things. Does that mean you should believe in them??
So much clear thinking...

I know absence of evidence is not evidence for absense. But if you are to claim something exists YOU must provide evidence. If I am to claim that Pink unicorns exist, the onus is on me to support my claim. I cannot simply say "You haven't disproved my claim so my pink unicorn exists". I must provide evidence!
Again, there are a million things that science cannot disprove, so just because science cannot disprove something, doesn't mean it exists.
That would be the "agnostic" rather than the "atheist" conclusion
Atheist position is just a stronger agnostic position. Remember the third definition I provided...
Atheism will say that there is no evidence for God so its highly unlikely that he exists. Again, if evidence was provided atheists wouldn't say that, they wouldn't be atheist.

The ontological proofs you provided are proofs for "that than which nothing greater can be conceived". That is not the Sikh God.. at least not all of it.
Atheism is anti-theism... if you leave God as just "that than which nothing greater can be conceived" then there is no problem because you cannot create any religion off of that. The problem arises when humans make up the nature of this thing "that than which nothing greater can be conceived", and there starts the slippery slope...

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Dear: SPN jis - and Bhagat Singh ji, in particular
I was sent this, by Virinder ji, as part of a personal message; and I think it says it all about your desire for 'proof' of reincarnation, enlightenment, etc..
ਮੂਏ ਹੂਏ ਜਉ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਦੇਹੁਗੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਕੋਇਲਾ

Mū▫e hū▫e ja▫o mukaehuge muka na jānai ko▫ilā.

If You liberate me after I am dead, no one will know that I am liberated. ----Bhagat Namdev, Raag Malar, AGGS, Page, 1292-15
If you're familiar with me, my posts, etc.; then you'll know that I've had a kind of 'out-of-body/existential experience'; one that - after I arose, went to the loo, and looked in the mirror - had left me with a white streak in my hair, above and between my eyes, that had not been there before.
And YES - I DO believe that the Great Formless One, with whom I'd just 'communed' (Buddha first, OM second; just like I've read in Buddhist Sutras), caused this to happen; so that I would not only have faith in the fact that what had just happened was not some kind of 'halucination', but also so that I would take the wisdom that had been imparted upon me through this communing of souls - great and small - as seriously as I have since then.
This has led me to find a very harmonious state of existence - especially after certain people (Evangelicals) set out to "Prove to me that the Buddha is nothing - and that only Jesus saves."
That harrasment issue aside; though I cannot prove to you that this happened - I would not DARE to make up such things, all things considered! - I can tell you that part of what I was shown during my experiences (I've done it again twice), included the memories of all of my past lives; or, at the risk of sounding 'cliche', I had my 'Book of Life' read.
Everything that I've learned about Sikhism, since joining SPN shortly after reading a book called 'An Introduction to Sikhism', jibes completely with these experiences.
I've seldom read a more compellingly accurate description of what the 'nether realm' is like, than in some of the Quotes from the Guru Granth Sahib (I'm soory I'm not familiar with it well enough yet to quote 'chapter and verse') that other Sikhs, on SPN, have shared with me as a result of my postings.
Have Faith in your Lovely Faith, my good jis. Nanak was not steering you wrong!
By the way, the Dalai Lama announced (2004?) that, "The pursuit and perfection of ones scientific knowledge, is just as important as the pursuit and perfection of ones spiritual knowledge; and, if science ever proves Buddhism wrong - then it will be Buddhism, NOT SCIENCE, that MUST CHANGE."
As I like to say, "Touche, Misseur Pope - TOUCHE!":D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

Sorry.
But no.

Yes let's applaud the Dalai Lama but not for thinking clearly but showing us how we all tend to think.
If there is no evidence for reincarnation, there is no reason to believe in it. But the reason for (almost complete) disbelief is that if it were true it would be high UNLIKELY.

The Dalai Lama's remarks were a reminder to Carl Sagan that science cannot disprove based on the lack of evidence. All that science can do is fail to find evidence to support the hypothesis one way or the other. Carl Sagan actually looked pretty silly because the Dalai Lama was reminding him: one can only support or reject an alternative hypothesis (i.e., that a claim is supported by evidence beyond the probability of a chance finding, or level of significance). Science is unable to support or reject the null hypothesis (i.e., that a claim fails for lack of evidence). And good science never tries either.

Science as I said earlier is not in the business of proving but falsifying or verifying.
Dalai Lama is not thinking clearly if he believes something just because science has not disproved it. Does he believe in Pink unicorns as well? Science hasn't disproved those either. In fact, science hasn't disproved a million things. Does that mean you should believe in them??
So much clear thinking...

To begin with believing in is different from believing that. Science as I said earlier is not in the business of believing in but in the business of believing that, by falsifying or verifying claims.

I know absence of evidence is not evidence for absense. But if you are to claim something exists YOU must provide evidence. If I am to claim that Pink unicorns exist, the onus is on me to support my claim. I cannot simply say "You haven't disproved my claim so my pink unicorn exists". I must provide evidence!

Evidence is necessary to support a scientific claim. Your example is interesting. Here is why it fails. You are under no obligation to prove that pink unicorns exist whatsoever. If you believe it well and good. If a scientist like Richard Dawkins (which is where I came back into the discussion) wants to claim that you are wrong -- he has to also plan for the possibility that he might not have all the information. That is where the "ugly fact" comes into play. The field of astronomy is full of examples where scientific explanation had to change because new evidence became apparent. And I am not talking about medieval beliefs. I am talking about scientific discoveries that dramatically altered previous scientific claims.

Again, there are a million things that science cannot disprove, (Science never proves or disproves, it tests hypotheses. I have tried to make that clear. Scientists that I work with get very annoyed when they hear the word "prove." It drives them to distraction.) so just because science cannot disprove something, doesn't mean it exists.
Atheist position is just a stronger agnostic position. Remember the third definition I provided...

Actually the atheist position is indefensible from the point of view of science. An authentic scientific argument would not pit atheisim against religious belief -- belief in God. An authentic scientific argument would be one that argues that I have no evidence therefore I can draw no conclusion. That is the agnostic view. And from the point of view of science it is the only honest thing to say as a scientist.

Atheism will say that there is no evidence for God so its highly unlikely that he exists. Again, if evidence was provided atheists wouldn't say that, they wouldn't be atheist.

You misunderstand the diference between athesism and agnosticism. A + theism (absence of God) is the belief that there is no God. Agnosticism is not a belief but a point of view that says "I am not sure." Richard Dawkins is comparing atheism to religionism, and concluding that in the absence of material evidence of God, there is no God.

I could just as easily argue that the in absence of material evidence of the future, tomorrow will never come. And be just as ridiculous. There is never material evidence of the future. If infer the "truth" of the future based on past experience that one day follows the other, material evidence and scientific proof are irrelevant.

The ontological proofs you provided are proofs for "that than which nothing greater can be conceived". That is not the Sikh God.. at least not all of it.
Atheism is anti-theism... Atheism is not political. It is only "anti" in the minds of people who have an axe to grind. Look at the word and its entymology.

if you leave God as just "that than which nothing greater can be conceived" then there is no problem because you cannot create any religion off of that.

But that is exactly right. The religions of the world have theistic elements or not. Deistic elements or not. Belief in God can be possible in the absence of any religious dogma or practice at all. The title of this thread is Sikhism and Atheism: A Philosophical Discourse. There was nothing philosophical in most of what I had been reading. There was a lot of opinion, misinformation and shabby logic on the part of Dawkins. So I decided to raise the bar and get things up to speed.

The problem arises when humans make up the nature of this thing "that than which nothing greater can be conceived", and there starts the slippery slope...

There is always a slippery slope. Dawkins is arguing based on a false dichotomy, science versus religion. Belief in God, and Belief that quantum mechanics is a good model for understanding the motion of subatomic particles, are beliefs that come from two different realms of knowledge having two different systems for reasoning. One is ontological and one is the scientific method.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Let's check the definition of Science which has been used in this thread quite often and keep that as the benchmark if we could to continue this great discussion.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] sci·ence [/SIZE][/FONT] (s
imacr.gif
prime.gif
schwa.gif
ns) [SIZE=-2] KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] NOUN: [/SIZE]

1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
    2. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
    3. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
  1. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
  2. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
  3. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
science - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

So, according to the dictionary, Science is just an observational tool. Nothing more. It can not falsify anything as claimed by Narayanjot Kaur ji many a times in her posts above. People can manipulate what they have observed with the help of this observational tool called Science and falsify the " evidence" which is true in every field even in the non scientific ones. Let us not blame science for doing things it is not capable of doing.

Regarding the interaction between Carl Sagan and Dalai Lama,it is irrelevant in my opinion. The former is talking about facts and the latter is talking about a belief in something which does not require facts.The best proof of non existence of re-incarnation so far is that no one has come back from the dead and reincarnated in any other species to let us know all about it. If this had happened, Science would have observed it.

As, the AWE factor that surrounds us, keeps on changing, only through science as the observational tool, we can observe the changes. Science has no other utility.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tejwant ji

I understand why you consider the interaction between Carl Sagan and Dalai Lama as irrelevant. The reason why I used the example is that the Dalai Lama was in so many words saying what you have just said yourself. Science takes the problem of observational truth in hand, and is not aimed in the direction of metaphysical questions.

This part I do not understand, It can not falsify anything as claimed by Narayanjot Kaur ji many a times in her posts above.

Science does falsify claims.

[Karl] Popper that scientists need to be interested in risky hypotheses because risky hypotheses advance science by producing interesting thoughts and potential falsifications of theories (of course, personally, we always strive for verification—we love our theories after all; but we should be ready to falsify them as well. Michael Frese

"simple falsificationism," which suggests that scientific progress consists of the rejection of unsatisfactory theories rather than the establishment of new theories. The name assigned to the document by the author. This field may also contain sub-titles, series names, and report numbers.
Verification and Falsification in Science Christian, Dan Christian

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/...000ba42f00aRCRD.htm?id=USGoogleFAS_Fraud_0509
falsification, falsificationism To falsify a knowledge-claim is to provide evidence that it is false. Since the time of David Hume, empiricistinduction: namely, how is it possible to justify inference, from a finite set of instances, to the truth of a universal law whose scope is potentially infinite? In the absence of a convincing answer to this question, our everyday and scientific belief in a regular, ordered, and predictable universe must seem to be a physiologically indispensable, but still irrational, habit of mind. philosophy of science has struggled with the problem of
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O88-falsification.html

Respectfully Tejwant ji, When I teach Research Methods 2 times each year, I teach people how to do this, how to falisify claims in the social sciences.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes :happy:

I came back to this. I really like it. :happy:

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]sci·ence [/SIZE][/FONT] (s
imacr.gif
prime.gif
schwa.gif
ns) [SIZE=-2] KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] NOUN: [/SIZE]

1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
    2. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
    3. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
  1. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
  2. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
  3. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji

I understand why you consider the interaction between Carl Sagan and Dalai Lama as irrelevant. The reason why I used the example is that the Dalai Lama was in so many words saying what you have just said yourself. Science takes the problem of observational truth in hand, and is not aimed in the direction of metaphysical questions.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the response. Please help me understand what you are trying to say.

What do you mean by,"Science takes the problem of observational truth in hand, "?

As explained by the dictionary, the definition of metaphysical below , the word used by you in the post, would you be kind enough the elaborate what you mean by what you wrote based on the definition?

"and is not aimed in the direction of metaphysical questions."

Thanks & Regards

Tejwant Singh
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
met·a·phys·i·cal [/SIZE][/FONT]
(m
ebreve.gif
t
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
-f
ibreve.gif
z
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l) [SIZE=-2] KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] ADJECTIVE: [/SIZE]

1. Of or relating to metaphysics.
  2. Based on speculative or abstract reasoning.
  3. Highly abstract or theoretical; abstruse.
    1. Immaterial; incorporeal. See Synonyms at immaterial.
    2. Supernatural.
metaphysical - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I will be glad to do that ji and it is a good question, because that word is also frequently misused in the popular culture. By that I mean that the systematic study of metaphysics has been recently hijacked by ghostbusters, witches covens, satanists -- because the study of metaphysics itself reaches beyond that which is observable. It includes the study of cosmology and ontology which I cited below.

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that investigates "reality" or the philosophical study of being and knowing wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Modern metaphysics requires rather rigorous tests of claims by the use of logic.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji

This part I do not understand, It can not falsify anything as claimed by Narayanjot Kaur ji many a times in her posts above.

Science does falsify claims.

[Karl] Popper that scientists need to be interested in risky hypotheses because risky hypotheses advance science by producing interesting thoughts and potential falsifications of theories (of course, personally, we always strive for verification—we love our theories after all; but we should be ready to falsify them as well. Michael Frese

"simple falsificationism," which suggests that scientific progress consists of the rejection of unsatisfactory theories rather than the establishment of new theories. The name assigned to the document by the author. This field may also contain sub-titles, series names, and report numbers.
Verification and Falsification in Science Christian, Dan Christian

falsification, falsificationism To falsify a knowledge-claim is to provide evidence that it is false. Since the time of David Hume, empiricistinduction: namely, how is it possible to justify inference, from a finite set of instances, to the truth of a universal law whose scope is potentially infinite? In the absence of a convincing answer to this question, our everyday and scientific belief in a regular, ordered, and predictable universe must seem to be a physiologically indispensable, but still irrational, habit of mind. philosophy of science has struggled with the problem of
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O88-falsification.html

Respectfully Tejwant ji, When I teach Research Methods 2 times each year, I teach people how to do this, how to falisify claims in the social sciences.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Once again you are confusing yourself between the science and the scientists. Please read my initial post again. Science CAN NOT falsify anything. It is the people who do that. Let us not blame science for something it is incapable of doing.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I missed your first question - apologies

What do you mean by,"Science takes the problem of observational truth in hand, "?

My answer - When a scientists investigates a claim (typically posed as an hypothesis) he/she does so in within the structure of testing that variable X causes or influences variable Y in some way. He/she uses a systematic design for his/her investigation. The aim is to rule out any argument to explain Variable Y under investigation except the variable X.

The process of falsification examines sample size, sampling errors, internal threats to the validity of the research design, the power of statistics used to test the claim, and the probability of error associated with the statistical test that was used. It is a systematic and disciplined strategy and religion, belief in God and metaphysical argument doesn't enter into it.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I will be glad to do that ji and it is a good question, because that word is also frequently misused in the popular culture. By that I mean that the systematic study of metaphysics has been recently hijacked by ghostbusters, witches covens, satanists -- because the study of metaphysics itself reaches beyond that which is observable. It includes the study of cosmology and ontology which I cited below.

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that investigates "reality" or the philosophical study of being and knowing wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Modern metaphysics requires rather rigorous tests of claims by the use of logic.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks again for the prompt response and I agree with what you said. But unfortunately my question to you which I posted still remains unanswered. Allow me to repeat it:

As explained by the dictionary, the definition of metaphysical below , the word used by you in the post, would you be kind enough the elaborate what you mean by what you wrote based on the definition?

"and is not aimed in the direction of metaphysical questions."

Thanks & Regards

Tejwant Singh
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
met·a·phys·i·cal [/SIZE][/FONT]
(m
ebreve.gif
t
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
-f
ibreve.gif
z
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l) [SIZE=-2] KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] ADJECTIVE: [/SIZE]

1. Of or relating to metaphysics.
  2. Based on speculative or abstract reasoning.
  3. Highly abstract or theoretical; abstruse.
    1. Immaterial; incorporeal. See Synonyms at immaterial.
    2. Supernatural.
metaphysical - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Once again you are confusing yourself between the science and the scientists. Please read my initial post again. Science CAN NOT falsify anything. It is the people who do that. Let us not blame science for something it is incapable of doing.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji

I have been teaching falsification for 28 years, 3 semesters a year. The misunderstanding arises when the term falsification is used loosely. I hope my previous post explains how I am using the term and how biologists, chemists, physicists etc use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM