• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Aug 12, 2009
Waheguruji ka Khalsa! Waheguruji ki Fateh!

By the grace of Akal Purakh and with the blessings of Guruji, I feel most grateful to be able to share with you the news that I have just been able to publish on-line a new book with a new outlook on Sikhi. My own view, is that this was the original view - vast, universal, gracious and pro-active - but I will leave you to decide.

You will find reviews by Balwant Singh Dhillon, head of the Guru Nanak Studies Department of Guru Nanak Dev University, Guruka Singh Khalsa, founder and executive director of Sikhnet, and others at the link below. You will also be able to obtain the book for yourself by donation. Thank you for your support.

http://www.gurufathasingh.com/five-paragons-of-peace.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Guru Fateh ji

It would be very nice if you were to write a short essay in this thread and summarize your favorite sections. Readers enjoy that. It makes both you and the book come alive. :)

Aug 12, 2009
I have been asked to write a brief essay about my favorite parts of the book. That is hard, because I like it all. Writing each section had its challenges and its rewards. Let me instead describe all the main parts.

The first part talks about oneness - "ekta" - in all the configurations we today understand it. From an evolutionary point of view, we all share DNA with every living thing. Then there is the matter of consciousness. Sir Jagdis Chandra Bhose went to far as to prove scientifically that there is feeling and consciousness in plants, maybe metals too.

The second is about "hukam" - the amazing timestream we live in, how things happen for apparently no reason. And also the taking of hukam. Not only Sikhs do that.

The third part is about "sarbat da bhalla" - a pretty new concept for our humanity. It a number of stories of Sikh history from the 16th to the 20th century that illustrate that point, plus 15 great stories of nonSikhs doing the same within the last few years. You see, the genie is out of the bottle. Lots of people are doing seva these days and they are not all Sikhs.

Section four is "akal moorat". Over 65 pages it outlines the essential virtues of the body as holy and complete in itself - then goes into all the ways humanity has managed to add and subtract from the body, mostly for cultural reasons. Foot-binding, cosmetic surgery, tattooing, lobotomy and so much more is covered here.

Section five covers the basic lifestyle of a Sikh and a few domestic details that Yogi Bhajan-ji reintroduced into our modern lifestyle, such as celebrating the institution of motherhood and giving a new mother a break from chores for the first 40 days of infancy.

There is also a section of 20 pages of Gurbani in English that enriches and provides lucid insight into many of these areas.

And lastly, there is a brief chronology of about 800 amazing events that have happened from 1200-2009 that affirm and contribute to our collective sense of ekta, hukam, sarbat da bhalla, the simple sanctity of the human form, world peace, and the empowerment and dignity of humankind.

Thanks for asking.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM