• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Marrying Non-Sikh

serious7

SPNer
Nov 9, 2008
Well, I'm in a dillema with my parents. I'm in love with a thai girl who is formally a budhist but my parents are not very fond of my decision. Is it really a problem with marrying a non-sikh?

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

It is not a question whether religion or parents allow inter-religion marriage.
Question is, will you marry the one you love without support of parents and Sikh Society ?

If yes then why create an issue.
If not then wait & let parents find a suitable Daughter-in-law.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

bawaj

SPNer
Oct 22, 2006
You have to make your own life, that is to say no one can tell you how you need to live your life. Many times people use religion as a defense mechanism to force you into doing things you do not want, do not fall in this trap. If you committed in this relationship with the utmost sincerity then you should not have to worry about what the community is going to say.

onurag

SPNer
Mar 23, 2011
Hi..
I am going through a very same situation. The only difference with me is that i am Hindu and the girl i truly love is Sikh. We both love each other and i am trying hard to convince her parents. We can't go against her parents will.
What i personally feel is that after hurting her parents feeling, we can't live happily together. The key point is, try explaining your parents the positive side of your relationship.
I'll pray that you find some solution and continue to have a healthy relationship with your parents and with your love.
Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
onurag you don't have to do the following,

.... i am trying hard to convince her parents.
Unless and until you become a Sikh you cannot convince them that you are a Sikh specially if they want the Bridegroom to be Sikh? You write in your post you are a Hindu, why should they believe anything about you being or liking Sikh! You must have been lying to say otherwise. Doesn't look good and I am sure they see it that way too but I could be wrong.

It does not make sense.

onurag

SPNer
Mar 23, 2011
Hi Ambarsaria ji..
about my qoute of convincing her parents.. what i meant was i truly love her and will always keep her happy.
Didn't wanted to hurt someone's feelings.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Hi Ambarsaria ji..
about my qoute of convincing her parents.. what i meant was i truly love her and will always keep her happy.
Didn't wanted to hurt someone's feelings.
onurag that is a given in any relationship.

You need to address her parents and I don't know if they want a Sikh man to marry their daughter. For some reason they are not happy. Talking is OK but actions speak louder than words. Not to assume but your reference to becoming a Sikh implied they wish a Sikh bridegroom. There is nothing to convince.

Either you become an honest and dedicated Sikh or move on.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM