• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Loses Right To Wear Turban In Driving License Photo

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
LONDON: A Sikh person has lost the right to wear turban in his driving licence photograph, following a ruling by a European court.

Shingara Singh Mann, a French national, had appealed to the European Court of Human Rights to give him the right to wear a turban while being snapped for his new driving licence, after losing a series of appeals in France.

Under French regulations, motorists are required to appear bareheaded and facing forward in their licence photos.

However, as the Sikh religion requires men to wear a turban at all times, 52-year-old Singh took his case to the ECHR complaining that the French regulations made no provision for separate treatment for members of his community.

But the Strasbourg-based court dismissed the case and ruled that "identity photographs for use on driving licences which showed the subject bareheaded were needed by authorities in charge of public safety", leading British newspaper the 'Daily Mail' reported.

In a statement, though it recognised that the rule on photographs "
amounted to interference with the exercise of the right to freedom of religion " the court judged that in Singh's case, it was justified.

Freedom of religion "did not always guarantee the right to behave in a manner governed by a religious belief and did not confer on people who did so the right to disregard rules that had proved to be justified", the court said.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Sikh Loses Right to Wear Turan in Driving License Photo

This makes me as sad as the fact that I still cannot find Ocean of Pearls on any Internet Movie Site or in any Store (online or otherwise); as - though I'm still basically one of Tenzins (i.e.: The Dalai Lama) Buddhist Devotees - I feel that you Sikhs and I and very much Kindered Sprirts; but then I feel that way about Hindus and Taoists and Sufi and......just about anyone but Hypocritcal so-called Christians!
Here's Strategy Suggestion for the Good Ji in the land of 'Liberty, Fraternity, Equality'; find out if Catholic Nuns have to take off their Habits to get their Drivers License Photos!!!;)
If the answer is OUI - then I'm afraid that I have to side with Public Safety, as this is a not illegitimate concern; if the Answer is NO, then SUE THE *%$#@&!!!!:inca:
I kknow it must STINK to be a Devout Sikh and get the 'Terroist' run around from Ignorant Westerners; please bear with us - and remember that it's really not your fault, but that of those crazy Mullahs.:D
Their 'Satan' :}8-: will feast on their Livers.
Anyone whose seen the Photos of Turbaned Sikhs shooting at the 'Bad Guys' in Mumbai knows the Truth about your People; you should play on that - rather than getting angry; that's what the 'Bush Doctrine' People - and their 'Crazed Mullah' adversaries - NEED YOU TO DO. Don't let them play what we call the 'both ends against the middle' game with you.
Much Love - and Respect; hope things get better for you - just don't be too Dogmatic when it comes to controlling the very real threat of Violent Crime.:cool:

Hari Atma

SPNer
Jul 24, 2004

The French and now British need a lesson in Freedom of Religion. A Sikh needs to be granted the right to wear a turban since his/her religion dictates that as their lifestyle. If they are not allowed to wear their turban while driving then how can they be practicing the rehit? A turban is not something like a hat to be taken on and off, but rather something that makes a statement of commitment. It is wrong for the French and British to not allow a Sikh to practice their religion. I feel we need to all write letters and set them straight.

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia

I don't know...but...when we live in 'their' country, once in a while may be we should bend.

p/s sorry do not mean to disrespect.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know...but...when we live in 'their' country, once in a while may be we should bend.

p/s sorry do not mean to disrespect.

Lucy ji

Usually I agree that it is important to be flexible, flexible without losing a moral center or giving up on core values. However, the thing that perplexes me most about this story is this. A driver's license photo should look like you when you are driving a car -- so that a policeman (gendarme or Bobby) can match your face with your pic. So why would a driver's license have a picture on it that doesn't look the way a person would normally look? This story suggests that the brains of government bureaucrats have gone on a stampede (like a bunch of crazy buffaloes). :}8-:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Lucy ji

Usually I agree that it is important to be flexible, flexible without losing a moral center or giving up on core values. However, the thing that perplexes me most about this story is this. A driver's license photo should look like you when you are driving a car -- so that a policeman (gendarme or Bobby) can match your face with your pic. So why would a driver's license have a picture on it that doesn't look the way a person would normally look? This story suggests that the brains of government bureaucrats have gone on a stampede (like a bunch of crazy buffaloes). :}8-:

Excellent point expressed and this is the point that bothers me; in democratic countries such things should have no place.
" Bending is must in totalitarian regimes" Is that country has a totalitarian regime?
:rolleyes:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

pk70

There is almost no situation I can think of where a turban poses a threat to the safety of an individual or society. If there is a concern about concealing a weapon -- let's think about that. How big would it be? Would there not be a strange bulge on the man's head? The suspension of the rights of an individual to privacy and integrity of person under the US constitution has to be based on a finding of a "clear and pressing" danger. How does that concept work in the UK?

I wonder, if this happened in the States, whether these would be violations not only of the 1rst Amendment - freedom of speech, association, petition and religion; but also of the 4th (search and seizure) and the 9th (other individual liberties not specified) Amendments. Anyway, logic did not prevail in this instance. As it did not prevail in the story about 3 eminent Gurbani raagis forced off a United Airlines flight from San Francisco.

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia
Yes, I do understand. But how about with those, who are trying to abuse the system...the rules? For example: one who don't wear turban, but due to some other motive suddenly think what a great way to mislead the authority..(?)

Sometimes a uniformity is desirable in a system.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Reminds me of the chicken and eagle story.

Dharam Singh

SPNer
Dec 25, 2008
When you take a drivers license photo and you have glasses, they tell you to ware them. They do that so when the police pulls you over they can see if your wearing your glasses. It is the same concept with the turban. We ware a tunban when we are driving.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: