• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh And Non-Vegiterian Food

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth
Re: Sikh and No-Vegiterian Food

no animals can be vegi's as when they eat plants etc.. they eat with it the insects, bugs etc, all part of a healthy fully nutrious diet

likewise if we had natural organic diets, and we eat straight from the trees as per nature - we would greatest healthiest diets

be open minded but not so much that your brains fall out

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA

Namaskaar

I can not reconcile eating meat with ahimsa and the karma the killing would incur. It is not necessary to eat meat to sustain life. Indeed eating meat is an exercise of man's baser attachments to the sensory pleasures that is maya. This I believe.:)

Om Namah Shaivaya
Om shanti shanti

Shahryar

SPNer
Dec 21, 2004

It is more pertinent to ask whether we can afford to eat meat? Due to the increasing pressure of human population on earth can we afford to grow food to feed livestock which return about 5% back as meat?

Plus this huge livestock population, raised solely to provide food for us, competes with us for scarce resources like fresh water.

And there is the problem of pollution from unprocessed sewage due to intensive livestock farming.

Perhaps a vegetarian diet for 80-90% of the meals one consumes may be a better solution! If the demand for meat is reduced then the grain used to feed livestock can be diverted to human consumption.

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto

Shahryar said:
It is more pertinent to ask whether we can afford to eat meat? Due to the increasing pressure of human population on earth can we afford to grow food to feed livestock which return about 5% back as meat?

Plus this huge livestock population, raised solely to provide food for us, competes with us for scarce resources like fresh water.

And there is the problem of pollution from unprocessed sewage due to intensive livestock farming.

Perhaps a vegetarian diet for 80-90% of the meals one consumes may be a better solution! If the demand for meat is reduced then the grain used to feed livestock can be diverted to human consumption.

Another good reason to think & be vegetarian. This idea if followed can greatly reduce the pressure on natural resources.

Thanks & regards,

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Say one 1kg of meat can work for 10 kg of wheat in some cases.Say in wresting or say in Korean martial Arts(often realted to non voilant Budhdha).

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Prabhjyotsaini said:
Another good reason to think & be vegetarian. This idea if followed can greatly reduce the pressure on natural resources.

Thanks & regards,

so will you eat sea food as sea food does not put
pressure on natural resources.i read in my book that
sea is more productive than land and in future humans will do farming of fishes in the sea.

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto

kds1980 said:
so will you eat sea food as sea food does not put
pressure on natural resources.i read in my book that
sea is more productive than land and in future humans will do farming of fishes in the sea.

Who told you that sea is not a natural resource & eating sea food won't put pressure on natural resources which sea hold in itself.

Don't you think it is our greed to have more food to feed mankind. In this pursuit we have forgotten that the other animals also exist which need to have food to propagate themselves. Thats why many species are getting extinct day by day.

Thanks & regards,

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Prabhjyotsaini said:
Who told you that sea is not a natural resource & eating sea food won't put pressure on natural resources which sea hold in itself.

Don't you think it is our greed to have more food to feed mankind. In this pursuit we have forgotten that the other animals also exist which need to have food to propagate themselves. Thats why many species are getting extinct day by day.

Thanks & regards,

it is over fishing that is putting pressure on the sea
for thousands of years humans are doing fishing in moderate quantity and it was not putting pressure on the natural resoureces. it only provided humans extra
food.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

as far as this natural resource question is concerned first things indians should do is to stop consuming milk and milk products .in india there are more than 250 millions
cows and buffaloes and they are bred for milk not for meat.so how many veggies are ready to give up milk

Hardkaur

SPNer
Jan 30, 2006

Wahaguru Ji ka khalsa Whaguru ji ki Fatah

Meat eating is something that many sikhs espically the youth are confuse about, some say that sikhs should not eat meat at all while others say that its okay to eat jataka meat and not halal meat since the animal must sufer a slow and painful death when killed in the halal meat.

However in case some of you haven't noticed let me open up your eyes, many Gurus like Guru Gobind Singh Ji kept eagles, what do you think eagles eat???? ANIMALS!! LIKE RATS ETC.

As well i would like to know if anyone has any views on eating eggs? because techincially the animal was never killed since it was never born, sort of like the whole abortion issue (are you killing it or not since it was never born in the first place?)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

Dear All

Just want to add a thing here

If some body thinks that he is not gooing to eat meat as it is bad karma /leting other animal live/cruel or what ever there will soon be new alternative

Just as Satyaban Ji mantioned eating Vegetarian eggs guess what ! vegetarian meat is on the way !!

With the recent advance in genetetics and transplamtation techiniues Science is quite near to culture human organs from the genes of the same human and so there will no compatility issue

and the same techique can be used to culture the meat and in this case every thing will be done in Lab ( kind of ) with no live animal involved in it
Then many people like satyaban can eat it with out any hestation as it will be vegetarian meat in a same sense as people call commercial eggs vegetaian

Any as for me As I understand If somebody is not in serious yoga stuff and normal householder then he basically need to eat meat in moderate quantity
and eating meat is not a dispute in sikhism ! while dissucusing whether it is good or bad is a dispute ! :) as Guru JI has mentioned in gurbani

So In sikhism both Vegens /veg/ Non Veg are welcome but the dispute over what to eat is not welcome

Jatinder Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

ya, all anti-meat proponents include eggs as NOT Acceptable for Amrtidharees....But none of the killing/cruelty/sufferring/torture/production of fear hormones etc etc apply here..and the unfertilised egg is not even an embryo or alive/not born... so what do the veggies say...EGGS Vs MILK..tell me HOW these two food DIFFER and WHY one is recommended food and the other is UNacceptable ???

Jarnail singh gyani

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Om Namho Shivaih

Omga Stage(creation) bows to one with Supereme attributes(Akal).

Das here wants to say that those who do not eat non veg food for the food qultiy(as happens in yogis or Nirmalas,Udasis,Taksalis or Sevpanthis) then even Veg meat will have the same food qulitiy so that must not be eaten either.

Das is anyway meat eater and at present due to Nav Ratra his hindu mother tells him to be veg and to defy Hinduism das intentionaly eats even when not needed to eat.

This gives a proof that theory that Hindus and Sikh have same eating habits goes wrong.Main reason behind this can also go by the fact that intial Arya Sanatan Dharma was also not averse to eating meat and on Alters Animals were killed only Budhism and jainism made them vegi and cowards and later on they became main reason for enslvaement of the country.

vsvaid

SPNer
Mar 22, 2006

Thanks & regards,

It is definately food for thought

pso

SPNer
Apr 7, 2006
The status of your spiritual level shall determine it for you whether to eat non veg or not. Try to share ur thoughts on how to achieve god and ur experiences during naam simran. Let the god residing inside you decide it for you what to eat and what not. Let us try to raise our spiritual level. Naam Japo namo aradho.
Waheguru Ji.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada

Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
FACT No. 5.... DIET is NEVER a big thing in GURMATT. Eat whatever fits your HEALTH - physical and mental..IF too much "chickens" hurts your health..so can a load of Carrots...USE your own God given BRAIN. too much rice leads to SCURVY !! and too much carrots can lead to beta carotene posioning....the will you BLAME Kabir for saying Khoob Khanna kheechrree ??

Jarnail Singh gyani

Thanks Gyani for mentioning this, i have a blood type and racial background that eats meat alot and ppl just dont understand. I now do still eat meat, just very little, due to the fact it doesnt appeal to me as much, it happened right after i entered sikhi - who would think???

Anyways, i believe there is a passage in the SGGs about ppl "argueing about meat and not enough time meditating", can anyone think of it???

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK

Bindy_Bains said:
Thanks Gyani for mentioning this, i have a blood type and racial background that eats meat alot and ppl just dont understand. I now do still eat meat, just very little, due to the fact it doesnt appeal to me as much, it happened right after i entered sikhi - who would think???

Anyways, i believe there is a passage in the SGGs about ppl "argueing about meat and not enough time meditating", can anyone think of it???

Hey Bindy ji,

I know the one you mean. It has been posted at the beginging of this tread.

Personaly I read it to mean arguing about wether or not to eat meat is stupid also I have just found this:

What good is food, and what good are clothes,
if the True Lord does not abide within the mind?
What good are fruits, what good is ghee, sweet jaggery, what good is flour, and what good is meat?
What good are clothes, and what good is a soft bed, to enjoy pleasures and sensual delights?
What good is an army, and what good are soldiers, servants and mansions to live in?
O Nanak, without the True Name, all this paraphernalia shall disappear

From this I can ask then if fruit, ghee, jaggery, clothes, soft beds, soldiers, servants, mansions and meat are all forbiden in Sikhi?

The answer I would get I'm guesing is don't be so stupid.

So what does this mean? I read it to mean that all that is important is God, without God in your life the rest is meaningless paraphenalia. So eat meat if you want, or don't eat it if you don't want. However don't think that by not eating meat you get closer to God, Grur Granth Sahib tells us time and time again that this type of thinking is pandit thinking, don't think like a Pandit, think like a Sikh.

Arguing about eating meat is like arguing about which daily newspapers is best, ultimatly it doesn't matter.

[/FONT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM