• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Short-hair Ban On Gurudwara Marriages

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Here in Bangkok, the ban is only on Sundays.....
the girls are all trimming cutting waxing, the works.....but men are trimming but if they remove their turbans and there is no hair then the sunday wedding is off and you can marry any other weekday.......

So to put things in perspective.......smoke drink gamble do drugs but without the long hair, you are less of a Sikh man.....but men who keep their hair can cheat in business, can smoke in pubs and bars besides drink there and they can sleep around as much as possible, they will be privilged because they keep longer hair....not that I cut my hair...its just that Sikhism is all about being tolerant and here we have bigots who try to isolate our religion from the rest of the world....

Huh? This got to be the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. (No offense)

Sikhi is turning into Hinduism. :confused:

For the record, women are NOT allow to cut their hair (like waxing, trimming) as well. So this ban should ALSO apply to women too.

jag69

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006
Hey all

Is this edict from the west...in this case Canada? Canadian indians (and any others living outside India) are always notorious for trying to be TOO strict and TOO punjabi. This is typical behaviour in OUR society.....I am more punjabi than you. Get over it. The guru's would NOT discriminate over anyone who marries infront of the Guru Garanth Sahib. Remember, ANYONE can come into the gurdwara and listen and pay their respects.

I think if you respect each other and stop pretending to outdo others (in this case more punjabi) and concentrate on living...then we may have a chance for our religion to prosper instead of being INWARD looking.

Jag

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

"Originally Posted by msghael
Have Kesh. Get married in a Gurdwara.
Eat beef, drink alcohol (even smoke) and be merry as many Keshdhari Sikhs do !!!!
What hipocracy !!!!!"

Very well said msghael ji, appearance should not be what bans you from being married in gurdwara. You could be a totally loving, kind and compassionate person without haing kesh, and you could be the worlds meanest person and have kesh.
I totally think that yes, one should have kesh as it is a gift from Guru Sahib, but if you are going to have the outer appearance but nothing inside what is that point?
When you go through anandkaraj with someone, it is a very sacred thing. It is like your souls become one and you promise to help eachother out on there path to God. Now, if you have kesh, have no urge to merge with God, what makes you so special to be "legable" to get married in from of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? ( sangat ji. please correct me if im wrong, as im a moorakh)
So i guess, dont get married in a Gurdwara because its tradition, get married in front of Guru Sahib because you truly believe in all the values, and responsibilities that come with Anandkaraj, be it you Keshdharee or not.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
There's a new ban on "short-haired" people getting married in the gurdwara.

Discuss. (I'll post my views soon).

This will be interesting, especially if converts or "born again" sikhs who may have cut hair, or just started to grow hair can't marry inside one of these temples. Always moving on from one screw up to screw up when it comes to management....

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
This will be interesting, especially if converts or "born again" sikhs who may have cut hair, or just started to grow hair can't marry inside one of these temples. Always moving on from one screw up to screw up when it comes to management....

lionchild please read my post on page no.13 of this thread.this ban is imposed by cgpc in jharkhand only.

jag69

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006
Every religion has hard core extremists who have committed much sin in their lives, and before they go to the almighty, decide to extract one simple meaning and then apply it to something as ludicrous as banning people cause they cut their hair. It is usually those with little intellect (mind you the intellects may do the same)....that jump onto a particular fad or fashion.

Most of the people here are reasonable, it is indeed being married infront of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that is the important thing. Couple of side issues, NO ONE person owns a Gurdwara nor should these fanatics ask for donations that BUILT that gurdwara. Also, the Amritdharee's are NOT all that way. Like all types, a few bring their own ideas into play and destroy the reputation of others.
Respect. JAg

k s gadh

SPNer
Dec 26, 2006
There's a new ban on "short-haired" people getting married in the gurdwara.

Discuss. (I'll post my views soon).
In these days when our community strength in numbers is decreasing day be day we should not shake the faith of those sikh families whose children are clean shaven due to reason what so ever, by putting ban on short haired people getting married in gurudwara. our community should come forward by
converting non sikhs to sikhism as other religions are doing like Nirankaris. christians etc. Our religion doesn't say that non sikhs can not come to the gurudawaras\can not listen gurbani \can not read our holy books\can not participate in our processions\can not sit in langar. Our religious heads should announce new ideas in a modern way just to flourish the sikhism like Nirankaris and christans. In the coming days if we want to save our religion then we should be liberal. we should not hurt the sentiments of our community people , whose families ae mixed. I appeal to our religious heads please take some concreate steps for increasing the number of persons with long hair and turbans. If our religious heads are really serious then they should start the work from their own families\village\town. Just by putting ban on the marriages of short hair people in gurudawaras is not going to help the religion. we are living in 21st century and not in 15th or 16th century.

k s gadh

SPNer
Dec 26, 2006
I really agree with the views of veer jag ji enrolment no.3459. I want to give 100% marks to their views. No body is saying to change the religious books\ gurbani written by our Ten Gurus. Full respect should be given to the religious books and gurbani but banning short haired people marriages is not mature thinking.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
In these days when our community strength in numbers is decreasing day be day we should not shake the faith of those sikh families whose children are clean shaven due to reason what so ever, by putting ban on short haired people getting married in gurudwara. our community should come forward by
converting non sikhs to sikhism as other religions are doing like Nirankaris. christians etc. Our religion doesn't say that non sikhs can not come to the gurudawaras\can not listen gurbani \can not read our holy books\can not participate in our processions\can not sit in langar. Our religious heads should announce new ideas in a modern way just to flourish the sikhism like Nirankaris and christans. In the coming days if we want to save our religion then we should be liberal. we should not hurt the sentiments of our community people , whose families ae mixed. I appeal to our religious heads please take some concreate steps for increasing the number of persons with long hair and turbans. If our religious heads are really serious then they should start the work from their own families\village\town. Just by putting ban on the marriages of short hair people in gurudawaras is not going to help the religion. we are living in 21st century and not in 15th or 16th century.

a very practical post.i totaly agree with you

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
Lol ok now this is a very far fetched and crazy "what iff" lol, Butttt it COULD happen....

now WHAT IFFF a clean shaven woman lol with short hair, and a cleanshaven mannn without shorthair one day go to get married.

Sitting in front of the guru granth sahib thinking about the long life ahead of them, the hundreds of trials and tribulations they will have to face, the gorgeous and innocent children they know they will one day have, the man and woman start thinking some more....

they think further to the trials and tribulations they have faced in the past- the suffering, the deaths, young, old. they realise that their lives have been meaningless and shallow- attatchement to maya, the man a recently recovered alcoholic, his dabbling with drugs at a young age, cheating on girlfriends, never getting along with his parents or siblings- lust, pride, ego, greed, attatchement, intoxicants........ the woman, also having dabbled with alcohol, smoking, bitchiness and backstabbing, the manyy sleepless nights since childhood, the fear of the dark that still haunts her to this day, lust, pride, ego, attatchement, intoxicantss.........

the man eyeing up another woman only just before entering the gurudwarra- ON HIS OWN WEDDING DAY.

their thoughts jump quickly to the long lives ahead of them- their beautiful children- "do we really want our children to grow up and be the way we were, to experience evil and hatred, anger and uncontrollable lust, to ruin their precious bodies physical, mind and spirit?"

they both come to a realisation and finally make a silent vow, their faces both seem suddenly illuminated and they are in a state of happiness and peace for the first time in their lives, sitting in front of the guru granth sahib, listening to the granthi pray.

the next week they take amrit.

they never look back.

either do their children.

either do their childrens children.

either do their childrens childrens children or their childrens childrens childrens children.

u get my drift.

think people, dont segregate, give people time- patience continence acceptance, understanding, read the guru granth sahib, these are virtues looked on the most favourably by god.

just because you think youre already there, give everyone a chance. who knows, theyre probably more virtuous than yourself.

Your the lowest of the low, your the dust of a beggars feet-..... your the dust of a sehjdharis feet. this is the way i think because it is the way the gurus thought and preached for us to think. If everyone had this same mindset this thread would never have been started......
im not perfect, far from it but who am i to judge someone, when GOD IS IN US ALL.

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
so may i please point outttt

that this stupid ban, could potentially wipe out generations and generations of potential amritdharis, just because you fanatic supporters of this ban...AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU AREE!...couldnt accept the fact that they were different.

not everyones born an amritdhari so if youre a crazy amritdhari who supports this ban u need to understand this fact. im gna bribe you all right about now and sayyyy......

that if you dont introduce this ban youll have MORE PEOPLE BECOMING AMRITDHARIS.......... and thats a fact....

hope this bribe works......lol.

peace out

Sikh.

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
Oh yeh and S|kH
'
just let me say SHAME ON YOU.

I really dont think youve ever listened to tupac in ur LIFE have you?

interpret your quote for me please...let me refresh ur mind

"I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
unless we share with each other
We gotta start makin' changes
learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers" -2pac

it dont matter WHO gets married in the gurudwarra- if TUPAC was still alive id be encouraging him to marry in the gurudwarra- hed get a HUGEEEEE BLESSING and we would have taught him about sikhi in no time.

give someone an inch, n theyll wanna go the whole mile

tell someone the start of a story, n theyll wanna know the end.

give someone a taste of sikhi, n theyll want the whole meal....

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
that this stupid ban, could potentially wipe out generations and generations of potential amritdharis, just because you fanatic supporters of this ban...AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU AREE!...couldnt accept the fact that they were different.

totaly agree with it.these types of ban will drift away not only sikhs but also hindus from gurudwaras.recently my brother's hindu teacher opted for simple gurudwara marriage.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Yes soo true! In my background, we don't grow bearss hehe! Anyways, i guess they will shooting themselves in the foot then.

LOL

But seriously though, this ban will cause more hate for Sikhi and Sikhs. The last thing Sikhs want is more enemies. Also a lot of Christian and Muslim missionaries will take advantage of this situation and try to convert short hair people like myself.

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
Also a lot of Christian and Muslim missionaries will take advantage of this situation and try to convert short hair people like myself.

Woahhhh i never thought of that one!! lets just hope no militant muslims or christians come on here and read this!... lol.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Woahhhh i never thought of that one!! lets just hope no militant muslims or christians come on here and read this!... lol.

not only christian and muslim missionaries but nirankari's,radhaswami,noormalia
and many other hindu sadhu sant's will also take advantage of this.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: