• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Short-hair Ban On Gurudwara Marriages

satwant

SPNer
Oct 18, 2006
singapore
Having a ban in place will undo all the good all of us have been trying to do. To save the religion from extinction. It will drive people away from our religion as there are too many rules.

No other religion has any issues with keeping hair except Sikhism. Why is it that only Sikhism has a requirement of keeping unshorn hair? Perhaps, we were meant to be stand out from the rest. Perhaps, we were the chosen ones. Guruji have given us the reasons and yet many do not follow and yet many have different versions of what is right and what is wrong.

The only way to salvage the situation is through education. Just like we do with our children. We teach them. We make them understand the rationale. We give them examples. Why can't we do with the grown ups. We are never perfect. We make mistakes and there are times we need another person to help us see the light. Why are we so quick to pass judgments?

Satwant

wizesikh

SPNer
Nov 8, 2007
Against the ban....

Instead help them realize what it means to be a Sikh, and how their new life together can be secured with the concepts and understanding of Gurbani.

Those Sikhs who wish to cut WILL CUT no matter what, and those who refuse to CUT will NOT CUT no matter what.

Apr 4, 2007
You are right in saying that the way Sikh religions has been made to appear complicated has drived the youth away

you just made me think of something. the religion has been made to APPEAR complicated.

but what is more complicated? shaving every day, trimming, waxing, threading, worrying about every fashion trend and hair accessory?

or simply letting it grow the way it was meant to? :)

thought provoking. :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
you just made me think of something. the religion has been made to APPEAR complicated.

but what is more complicated? shaving every day, trimming, waxing, threading, worrying about every fashion trend and hair accessory?

or simply letting it grow the way it was meant to? :)

thought provoking. :)

This gives me another idea. When people ask you, "why are you NOT keeping with the trend ?" and the answer is quite simply, " because cutting your hair, trimming your beard, waxing, threading was never meant to be and anybody who IS doing it is not only fighting a life-long battle but also losing the battle. GOD sent hair will keep on coming no matter what you do to eliminate this 'enemy' LOL. So change your attitude toward's God's cause and cheer up."

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
I my humble view as an irishman who adopted sikhi more than twenty year ago there is nothing to diccuss READ THE RULES AND REGS Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and rehit maryada, Rules and Regs are there for a reason wither running a railway playing sports heath and saftey rules at work OR A CODE OF CONDUCT IN A RELIGION SIKHI or other,the five Kakkars, ie Kesk uncut hair and beard end of problem, i willsupport such a ban

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
You guys have such narrow thinking.........

What happened when alcohol was banned? People setup illegal distilleries and mobs made big profts

Do you really think that monas will not get a Sikh marriage? Ofcourse they will there is money to be made a some giani will simply say give me £5K and I will do your marriage around the SGGSJ

What makes you think that they will go running off to mandirs.....

Anyway, what is stopping monas from setting up mona gurudwaras? APparently in Canada they are already doing it

Also a mona could get married without getting noticed its not as if people tell you to take off your pagh to see if you have a jura!

Also what does getting married mean today? It does not mean walking around the SGGSJ to live through marriage the SIkh way, it means walking around as a ritual and then going to a party afterwards and never thinking about SGSJ again

This is the same for other religions to..... things have just turned into rituals

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
badshah ji

This is a rather old thread with the last post about 3 years old. But in many ways your observations hold true. As a matter of fact however the ban on short hair/Sikh marriages never really took firm hold. The decision is ultimately made by the granthi who is approached -- not many say no. And when they do one is usually looking at a sangat which is collectively more committed to traditional Sikh identity (perhaps a poor choice of words on my part).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: