• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Shallow Readings And Meditation

Do you think Doing Shallow Readings Can Have Meditative Value?

• Yes, Please Explain.

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No, Please Explain.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

gurbanicd

SPNer
Oct 26, 2009
Many hold that simply reading gurbani and not understanding a word is worthless. A while ago, I would have agreed that reading page after page without attempting to understand a word is a pointless task. But there is something to be gained through this practice.

It is certainly beneficial to read and understand gurbani. There is no doubt about this. If one understands the Guru's message and puts it into practice, there is no match for this. The real problem is when one only reads for the sake of reading. I will call this shallow reading, as opposed to deep reading, which includes understanding.

What could it be for?
One may think that maybe it is a first step to connecting with gurbani. That you make a habit of simply reading then you go on to understand. I started that way myself. But this is irrelevant to those who are already connected and continue to practice shallow reading. I am referring to those who read 40 Jap ji's or 100 swaiyes... are they wasting their time?

It is also believed by some that reading gurbani like this will grant them superpowers, ridhiyan sidhiyan. I don't know about that... I don't think many here will take that seriously.

Anyways, I think there is value to be found in shallow readings... first, let's ask ourslves what is meditation?
There's a whole wealth of Meditation techniques from Zen meditation practices to Hindu dhyana to Sufi Islamic traditions. However, even though there are various different kinds of practices they are all developed on the principle of focusing on ONE thing. This is to train the mind to pay attention. The essence of all practices is to quiet down one's thoughts and take notice of our moment to moment experience. Notice how when something horrible happens, our brain goes nuts! All these random thoughts enter into our head, and cause suffering. Actually, horrible things need not happen. Our mind goes crazy and generates horrible thoughts even if we are in pleasant conditiones. Meditation aims to reduce those thoughts, to reduce fear and anxiety. What you are then left with are positive emotions of compassion and forgiveness. We suffer not because there are horrible events but because we have horrible thoughts. Queting these thoughts leads to a pleasant experience.

Meditation has been going on for a long time. People all over the world have wondered whether it was possible to be happy without the company of loved ones,without delicious foods, without drugs! There was a simple experiment people tried. They isolated themselves from these things, essentially from the world. In there isolation they uncovered the secrets of happiness. Later on these techniques became refined and strengthened to be applied while being in the world. One of these is known as the Discipline of Bhagati. We find Guru Sahibs advocating for these practices like Naam Simran and Seva (known holistically as Bhagati). These were powerful in social circumstances. But the principle even here was the same, to focus one's mind.

It is believed that seva in a gurughar is a purely physical task. Given how I have described meditation. It is not difficult to see how seva can be a spiritual task, there is a reason why it is included in Bhagati Yog. When you focus on the task in seva, when you focus all your attention to washing the dishes, handing out the food, making rotis even, then seva gains meditative value and thus spiritual value... that is if you can find a kitchen where the "gnanis" are quiet. Good luck with that!

Perhaps, now it is easy to see how doing shallow readings can have meditative value. If you focus your attention on the words, as you read them, and pay no attention to other thoughts, it becomes more akin to a meditation that we are already familiar with, Naam Japna. A practice has meditative value when it done to quiet one's thoughts, to bring home the wandering mind. naam Japna has meditative value because you focus on the sound of the word. Do you do that when you repeat the naam?

This reminds me of a Sakhi of Guru Nanak where he is invited to a Muslim prayer by these two muslims. Next day Guru Nanak goes over to their mosque. The prayers begin. While they follow their precribed way of praying. Guru Nanak simply stands there with his eyes closed. After the prayers are over those Muslims complain to Guru Nanak that he came but he did not pray. Guru Nanak turns this around and says "you guys invited me yet when prayers began none of you actually prayed, you were focused elsewhere. One was thinking about his business of horses and the other about his family."

Of course, many people don't do prayers in this way, including Sikhs (and of course, many don't read to understand). Even naam japna simply becomes a mindless repitition of words. The mind is left to wander and one constantly suffers. it's important to be mindFUL during meditation, to pay attention to the moment, to pay attention to the task/technique at hand.

What I am saying is that meditation is simply the focusing of one's mind on a task to quiet one's mind. If that is true then shallow readings CAN have meditative value. A sehaj paath that is not understood by the participants but is still listened to and focused upon, can be great for meditation.

Most Sikhs regard Idol worship as a useles ritual. The spirituality related to Hindu worship of idols becomes apparent when we consider the essence of meditation. I am not advocating for this practice nor do I mean to include it in the above mentioned Sikh practices. but it is important to note that if the mind of the idol worshipper is focused, then it has meditative value. Hence, God (happiness) CAN be found in a rock or shallow readings, if only you focus hard enough.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

there are many shabads on reading gurbani,and gurbani vichar.Gurbani vichar is not easily possible without reading, but reading is ALSO a step. TO REACH SOME CONLCUSION.
The whole concept of Gurbani revolves round NAAM with ove and affection.

sloku mÚ 1 ] piV piV gfI ldIAih piV piV BrIAih swQ ] piV piV byVI pweIAY piV piV gfIAih Kwq ]
pVIAih jyqy brs brs pVIAih jyqy mws ]
pVIAY jyqI Awrjw pVIAih jyqy sws ] nwnk lyKY iek gl horu haumY JKxw JwK ]1] {pMnw 467}

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> }

qurk qrIkiq jwnIAY ihMdU byd purwn ] mn smJwvn kwrny kCUA k pVIAY igAwn ]5] {pMnw 340}

] hir pVu hir ilKu hir jip hir gwau hir Baujlu pwir auqwrI ] min bcin irdY iDAwie hir hoie sMqustu iev Bxu hir nwmu murwrI ]1]

DnwsrI mhlw 4 ] syvk isK pUjx siB Awvih siB gwvih hir hir aUqm bwnI ]
gwivAw suixAw iqn kw hir Qwie pwvY ijn siqgur kI AwigAw siq siq kir mwnI ]1]

bwvn ACr lok qRY, sBu kCu ien hI mwih ] ey AKr iKir jwihgy, Eie AKr ien mih nwih ]1] {pMnw 340

bhulan chukan di khima

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
READING AND MEDITATION,
In Gurbaani we do not find yhe use of word "PARMATAMA" as we make use of this word profusely like the word GOD.
It is thus important to collect the quotes from GURBAANi related to reading and meditation to know the view of Gurbaani. We may have something quite different than what we think.
I would expect that somebody would take some time to collect and display all the quotes from Gurbaani related to Reading and Meditation.

I am sure it would be very interesting analysis .

Prakash.S.Bagga

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Ji,

What is Meditation?
I think anyone who has come across this concept should pause to ask themselves this question. The problem is that we think we already know or are lead simply by descriptions made by others, in which case the appeal would be to reason and any attachment invariably arisen rather than to any understanding. Worse is when we are compelled by a desire for quick fix to the problems of our lives such that we then jump at the idea immediately. The justifications then follow fuelled by ignorance, attachment and wrong understanding. At which point it becomes harder to question but worse is when the practice is already undertaken to any degree and ‘illusions of result’ have arisen.

Actually we should ask ourselves the meaning in terms of what it is in actual experience, about everything! If not then our approach to religion becomes more or less a matter of replacing one object of attachment for another and this is what I see happening everywhere. Religion is supposed to encourage detachment but it turns out that people make it yet another thing to attach to. And the only way to prevent this from happening is to try and understand every concept that we come across and question any preconceived notions that we have about them.

Well said, Confused ji.

So yes, what is meditation? Could it be something which then allows any and everybody to project whatever preferred meaning and significance they’d like to? I think not. Firstly, as I understand it, meditation like all mental states must come down to a particular quality of mind which must necessarily be momentary / fleeting. We can’t therefore appeal to some conventional activity of noting this or that object in this or that posture which in fact then becomes a convenient screen to hide behind. Indeed this is what followers of all the thousands of meditation techniques taught today appeal to and are happy to stand united with each other for, while they continue to avoid facing the fact of disagreements in other areas. And are they not insecure about it all?!!!

Yes merely doing those things you mention won't help at all. and I understand this is what is commonly done. And it's because meditation itself, the point when you are actually meditating, when the meditation is successful, is actually very hard to get to. The experience of meditation is for most a momentary experience. It is momentary because it is difficult for the mind to stay in this state.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji points to us that ego is what prevents us from getting there. Once the ego is diminished then that state can be activated 24/7 or 8 peher.

Wisdom is foremost and with it is mindfulness of the object of consciousness. This is what meditation in the final analysis is. We could therefore conclude that meditation is in fact the ‘development of wisdom’. This being the case, asking oneself “what is it that is known and understood now” may be a way to get oneself on the right track. If not, then only wisdom itself will know, otherwise one is definitely going to be led by ignorance.

Yes mindfulness is important.

There are however two different types of meditation. One which is taught by the Buddha involves coming to know the nature of these momentary realities through one of the five senses and the mind. This does not involve developing concentration but rather about insight into the nature of conditioned phenomena.
Please elaborate on what you mean by the conditioned phenomena.

The other type ... seeing danger in attachment to sense objects and finally taking on a particular object where wisdom and mindfulness repeatedly takes this same object continuously, resulting in what is then considered ‘deep concentration’.
[*]
Yes this is the one I was referring to as well.

One could for ... Therefore it is only by way of development of wisdom of the first kind that ignorance, craving, conceit and everything else is eradicated and is how the endless cycle of birth and death comes to an end. [**]

I could add more, but think I should wait for your response first.
That was a clear and well articulated response!

Here is what I can add (and perhaps clarify).

With regards to the point in bold with [**]:
These qualities (conceit, anger, craving: greed, lust, the 5 vices) belong to the ego. Our ego manifests itself in our thoughts. So it makes sense that if we slowly train our mind to a reduced level of thoughts, and if we slowly train our mind to stop buying into the thoughts we have, then we can slowly kill off our ego.
We essentially live at the mercy of the discursive dialogue that is always taking place within us. We are always talking to ourselves... I am doing so as I type. This dialogue is basically our ego. Many have found that once this mental discursive dialogue is quieted down, there are wonderful experiences to be had. There is 'happiness' and by that I mean well-being, to be found once the dialogue is quiet. Such happiness/well-being is independent of wordly things. it is independent of eating delicious foods or spending time with friends or family. it is independent of maya.

A few questions arise at this point:
Is there really a happiness, a well-being that is independent of maya? Most of us live our life, as if the answer is 'no' but the answer all saints give is, YES. They say yes, you can be happy without anything, "with dry bread and cold water" - Sheikh Farid.

Once we say yes. Then we wonder how can such a form of well-being be discovered? Simple logic dictates that you remove yourself from all other sources of happiness, and that you isolate yourself. If a source of happiness independent of attachments is to be found, it should be available in a place where there are no wordly pleasures.... and as you know this is what was done, and it lead to an evolution in meditation techniques and practices, the basic principle had been discovered. Now, we come to the time of Gurus, who tell us of ways of meditating while remaining in the world, without renouncing it, while living amongst attachments and not buying into them. As you might know, their methods are very much involved in social contexts.

One thing to notice is that it comes down to our ego yet again. It is our ego that seeks these attachments. It actively does so, every moment.
How do we start seeing (intuitively) the danger of attachment
[*], and how do we eradicate our ego?
When we meditate. More specifically, when we train the mind, to notice our moment to moment experience. When we train it to see how our ego rises and falls, how it responds to things. Once we start to see it before our eyes, doing what it does, we can address it. To do so we must be mindFUL, and we must remove the filter of thoughts that blocks our vision of our moment to moment experience.
Meditation techniques often involve learning to focus and concentrate on mundane tasks, tasks that otherwise arouse little interest and little attention. This is so that we can train the mind to be senstive to our experiences, so that is able to notice minute things that happen within us. it would not be much of a training if it involved for example, watching TV to which we readily pay attention to.
Ego is almost invisible to the average Joe. So the first step in eleminating it, is to learn to notice it. It turns out that just noticing its rise and fall, moment to moment, is already a very difficult task.

Aug 28, 2010
READING AND MEDITATION,

Generally MEDITATION is a process of thinking some Single point or Some specific word with a particular POSTURE. This type ofMEDITATION is not advocated in Gurbaani.
In Gurbaani the term Meditation has been used in different context with different meanings.This needs to be understood the way Gurbaani messages are.
There can be meditative readingresulting in understanding what is being read.As such there is no Role of MEDITATION with any specific Posture.
Gurbaani words are very articulate in the sense that whosoever reads ;feels satisfied for theunderstanding anyone gathers depending upon his own level of thinking.In fact this is the main reason for the variation in the interpretation of Gurbaani.However it does not mean that so many different interpretations can create confusion .Because there is a tool available {Grammer} to assess the particular interpretation.s correctness.We hardly do that.
As a matter of fact we should not accept any interpretation as final unless that interpretation meets the grammatical considerations of the words.In this somebody may think ..is Gurbaani slave of Grammer?.The answer would be....Gurbaani as such is not slave of grammer but the understanding of Gurbaani is definitely slave of grammer.

Therefore we should learn the Basics of Gurbaani grammer and we should make our own interpretation then this would constitute your own knowledge.Otherwise we shall remain vacillatiing on borrowed knowledge.
We are SIKHS of our GURU.We should try to get knowlegdge from GURU only.We can however take some initial help of others conversant with teachings of GURU but ultimately we should our own knowledge to say ...HIRDAE NAAMu VASSAE HO.GHAR BAITHAE GURU DHIAAE HO.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
prakash.s.bagga ji it is a pleasure and honor to read your good posts.

Thank you for your contributions and lucid clarifications.

Sat Sri Akal.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Dear All,

My discussion here appears to be going in a direction where it stands against Sikh teachings. This is not something I’ve ever intended to happen. I was prompted originally to respond to Bhagat ji’s post partly because other traditions were mentioned and mostly because the idea of being mindful / focused on one’s activities, reminded me of the teachings of many Buddhist meditation teachers which I consider completely wrong.

That said I realize that everyone knows already that there is a big difference between Buddhism and every other religion. I also know that like I think that I am right, similarly everyone else with a differing view thinks that he is right. So in the end, I don’t think I am a threat to anyone here. I am encouraged first and foremost by the admin’s attitudes, who has been generous and open enough and seen no reason so far, to moderate me. I guess that this is related to the general Sikh attitude of being open to learning from other sources and again this is one of the motivating forces why I keep on expressing myself here.

This was to set the record straight just in case anyone here has some misunderstanding. Someone may feel confident about his own understanding but when thinking about other member’s the same does not apply. In any case, I think we should all not be too concerned about other people in this regard anyway.
Regards,
Sukinderpal
Ps: Bhagat ji, Saturday is a day that I have less time on the computer, so there will be a gap before you receive a response to your post from me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sorry you will be taking a break. Yes...imho...your description of ideas explored here provides an important contextual contrast to many of the views expressed. Through contrast - learning to learn what things are not - we often achieve a better sense of what we think they are. To that end, you have made some important contributions. In my opinion, you set some firm boundaries for yourself and stayed within them. I am gratified that you did follow up the question regarding "conditioned thought" from a Buddhist perspective, because that would have taken the thread far into a completely different direction. We also can read what you have already at SPN described as a Buddhist understanding. We can all learn from what you have written on the subject. Please hurry back however so we can enjoy more of your thoughtful comments.

Nov 24, 2004
Dear Readers Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ke Fateh.

This is a very interesting subject. May I ask one question?

If you are in a swimming pool in a city or a canal or a village pond in rural Punjab, and you are learning how to swim, will you go to the deep part or the rapid flowing part right from the start. You can try but the chances of getting drowned are great.

Therefore, the same is the case with reading Gurbani. You have to start "Shallow reading" and do an Ardas every time you finish. Ask Guru Sahib that He may give you the opportunity to read His lovely words with full attention.

And while you are waiting for Guru Sahib to bestow His Grace, you must read slowly and carefully. A simple way is to read the word again which you have misread or not understood. In fact you must read the whole line all over again.

Mind is very dynamic. It is here one moment and it goes elsewhere at faster than the speed of light. You have to tell your mind, "Eh manna. Don’t go wandering. We will think about that subject, where you want to go, later. Right now let us be with our Guru."

If you do this slowly and diligently, the scenario will change in due time and you will be thoroughly immersed in the Word.

When you begin to get immersed, thank Him that He has been kind enough to let your mind stay with Him.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
May I raise a bigger question along the same lines.

Within the context of shallow we can say,

• Shallow Readers
    • Beginners to language and vocabulary
    • New to Gurbani
    • Prisoners to Habit
      • Through neglect
      • Through training
    • Looking for Growth from Shallow to deep without effort
    • Looking for Growth from Shallow to deep with effort

• Shallow Listeners
    • Beginners to language and vocabulary
    • New to Gurbani
    • Prisoners to Habit
      • Through training
      • Through neglect
    • Looking for Growth from Shallow to deep without effort
    • Looking for Growth from Shallow to deep with effort
I have no scientific data but I conjecture based on life experiences with relatives and friends that the key impacting category is "shallow listeners". This relates to there being much fewer readers versus listeners in the overall sikh populace.

Highlighted in RED are the areas of greatest personal damage as well as to Sikhism as a whole.

The sikhism enemies would love to see a dummbed down sikh populace. Furthermore there is so much commercial value to such segment of the population which have been indirectly turned into followers.

I hope it does not hijack the primary thread.

Just some food for thought and perhaps a separate thread for best strategies to uplift and help sikhi grow.

Sat Sri Akal.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Off-topic but important suggestion: Dear All, whenever you find some perspectives or diversions with in a topic, which require a new topic of their own, just do it before the thought is lost in oblivion... :sippingcoffeemunda:

And once you create a new topic, put a link of that topic in the original debate so that those topics remain connected.

Thank you!

Gurfateh

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Bhagat ji,

I have a little time now, so I’ll try to provide you with a necessary background information you asked for and will come back to the rest of your post when I have more time.

You asked:
“Please elaborate on what you mean by the conditioned phenomena.”

According to the Buddha there is the unconditioned reality which is Nirvana and conditioned realities. Conditioned realities are basically two types, one are mental phenomena and the other, physical phenomena, the important qualifier being that the one experiences something and the other does not. These two are basically everything we ever know and experience. Of mental phenomena these are again two, one is “consciousness” which is chief in experiencing and the other are “mental factors” which must necessarily accompany the consciousness every time that it arises. This latter performs different functions in support and include the seven basics, namely feeling, attention, volition, contact, concentration, perception, life faculty, and others which arise depending and which we all recognize, are such things as attachment, aversion, ignorance, kindness, wisdom, wrong understanding, applied thought, compassion, conceit, moral shame, envy, non-attachment etc.

To illustrate: Through the five senses, experienced by the corresponding mental realities, are physical realities of seven (of total 28) different kinds. Seeing consciousness experiences visible object, hearing experiences sound, tasting consciousness experiences taste, smelling consciousness experiences smell and body consciousness experiences the earth element (manifested as hardness / softness), the fire element (heat / cold) and the wind element (motion / pressure).

These five sense consciousness are accompanied only by the seven basic (more appropriately called ‘universals’) mental factors. What follows from these however are other kinds of consciousness, significant ones being those through the mind door. It is here that the consciousness is accompanied by the other mental factors in addition. In other words, it is through the mind door that greed, aversion, conceit, ignorance etc. arises or kindness, confidence, wisdom, morality, non-aversion, equanimity, mindfulness and so on, do. And it is here that the thinking of ‘concepts’ based on the experience of the five senses take place.

None of these mental and the physical realities can arise without being conditioned by other of these realities. This is the meaning of being “conditioned” and hence the idea, “conditioned phenomena”.

Aug 28, 2010
READING AND MEDITATION,

SHALLOW reading as the word itself suggests is shallow in nature.Shallow should be viewed only as taking the Bird:s eye view of the matter to be actually read and understood.
We can put the step further than shallow reading to the analysis as envisaged by
SIR AMBARSARIA Ji.Your views are fully analytic for the subject of understaning.
I feel so.I may be wrong.A fact may be considered that any one would always have Bird"s eye before going into further details.
Thus shallow reading may be step for the interest to be created for further reading
with understanding .

Prakash.S.Bagga

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I'm not sure about this shallow/deep business. One could spend many lifetimes, I think, without exhausting the meaning of the first word, the first syllable, the first letter of Gurbani. How deep do we want to go? Most of us, I would guess that all of us, go on to the whole Mool Mantar and the Japji Sahib and beyond.

When was the last time I/we/you really heard the Mool Mantar? It is so much a part of our lives that it can easily become simple background noise. I think any Sikh can easily see the inexhaustability of Japji Sahib. I, at least, find these parts of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ji most difficult.

I used to think that the writings of the First Nanak were the most difficult and those of the Bhagats, especially Kabeer, as the simplest to understand. As I grow older, now I am not so sure. I am seeing layer upon layer of meaning in Shabads I used to think simple and and uncomplicated. And that is in English! Since I lost all my Punjabi - and related languages - in the stroke in 2006 - I also lost those layers of meaning.

As I go on, I am beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a shallow study/meditation/understanding of Gurbani? Even the tiniest bit seems to contain an infinite depth.

Sorry if I am just confusing everybody. As I think I said earlier. I find all this very confusing anyway.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
mai harinder kaur ji great post and description of a dilemma I am sure most if not all of us have faced once or twice or many times more and are still facing in our lives.

Example: My mother who is quite older now would go to Gurudwaras with us. When we would hear the reading of the Hukam she will at times say " Bahut changa valk niklia" meaning .... very good and auspicious sloak is the Hukam read out. She generally had a great grasp of Gurbani essence. I had a dilemma in my mind and I used to say or think to myself, "Par Mata ji, sarey valk in Guru Granth Sahib ji wich changey han" meaning .... but dear Mother, all the sloaks in Guru Granth Sahib ji are very good and auspicious, and there is no difference in the essence from one day to another.

My understanding is that once you connect with the essence of Gurbani the shallowness and deep part starts to disappear. You read with wonderment rather than the need to dissect literally and deeply. In a way a little stream that start in us as a shallow few drops of water turns into a torrent, into rapids and a calming deep river as it continues to build without doubt. Every river has shallow banks and areas of great depth. The force and essence of the river is inclusivity of all its elements.

Analogy: That from Guru Granth Sahib ji one may have shallow understanding of some and deeper understanding of other parts but as you develop the understanding of complete context, essence and understanding with time you will flow with the total spirit and understanding like a river towards an ocean.

I find this is perhaps better fitting analogy for this thread as compared to learning to swim and starting in the shallow end of a pool or pond. But again please just my understanding for consideration and not to say anyone has less or I have better understanding. peacesign

Iota by iota you start your inward march towards the God within you as well as start the outward march in seeing the God in everyone else and around you.

Great dialog and expositions.

Thank you.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Bhagat ji,

Quote:Originally Posted by Confused
So yes, what is meditation? Could it be something which then allows any and everybody to project whatever preferred meaning and significance they’d like to? I think not. Firstly, as I understand it, meditation like all mental states must come down to a particular quality of mind which must necessarily be momentary / fleeting. We can’t therefore appeal to some conventional activity of noting this or that object in this or that posture which in fact then becomes a convenient screen to hide behind. Indeed this is what followers of all the thousands of meditation techniques taught today appeal to and are happy to stand united with each other for, while they continue to avoid facing the fact of disagreements in other areas. And are they not insecure about it all?!!!

Bhagat:
Yes merely doing those things you mention won't help at all. and I understand this is what is commonly done. And it's because meditation itself, the point when you are actually meditating, when the meditation is successful, is actually very hard to get to. The experience of meditation is for most a momentary experience. It is momentary because it is difficult for the mind to stay in this state.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji points to us that ego is what prevents us from getting there. Once the ego is diminished then that state can be activated 24/7 or 8 peher.

C: There is a common misconception apparently colored by ambition on the part of those who entertain the concept. In the Buddhist tradition people are led by the idea of being ‘mindful’ when in fact they should be thinking in terms of developing ‘understanding’.

When thinking in terms of the need to be mindful or focused and no interest is had to the fact of understanding the present moment, the attention invariably goes to the idea of a ‘self’ who is mindful. This ‘self’ then pays attention to equally illusory concepts of objects, situations and activities, which in fact is just more “thinking” and is *not* mindfulness of a present phenomena! This is one “illusion of result” people unwittingly fall prey to from which grows the idea of need then, to be mindful for extended periods of time. And yes, this is what they could in fact achieve, i.e. to be mindful for a long time, related to which is the idea of carrying over mindfulness from the time one is on the cushion to times off the cushion.

All this however is a perversion of view, encouraging of more ignorance and attachment. The fact being that no understanding has arisen to know the object through the five senses and the mind, which if it did must necessarily give the impression of fleetingness, of being conditioned and beyond control. Instead, the vastly greater tendency to ignorance and attachment has arisen continuously to think in terms self, situations and activities, and wrong understanding arose intermittently to amongst other things, mistake attachment for mindfulness. Hence one goes away with the impression of doing the right thing / being on the right track when in fact one isn’t.

Right understanding on the other hand thinks in terms of developing right understanding and not to being more mindful. The interest is to the present moment instead of being drawn in by ideas about past and future, not to speak of “more”. The aim is never to have mindfulness all the time given the understanding that there is ever *only NOW* to understand. And given where most of us are, I’d think that even one moment of genuine mindfulness to the characteristic of a mental or physical phenomenon through one of the five senses and the mind is worth all the gold in the world. Certainly it is better to have taken one baby step in the right direction that a thousand in the wrong ones? One does not mind then, if little understanding has arisen knowing that it can’t be hastened by any wishing and willing. Such an attitude itself is reflection of a level of understanding which most would do well to have. Instead, greed drives people to follow suggestions by meditation teachers, resulting in what is akin to a blind being led by another blind and getting positive feedback from other equally blind people all believing that they can actually see.

===========
Quote:Originally Posted by Confused
Wisdom is foremost and with it is mindfulness of the object of consciousness. This is what meditation in the final analysis is. We could therefore conclude that meditation is in fact the ‘development of wisdom’. This being the case, asking oneself “what is it that is known and understood now” may be a way to get oneself on the right track. If not, then only wisdom itself will know, otherwise one is definitely going to be led by ignorance.

Bhagat:
Yes mindfulness is important.

C: :)
It is one thing to understand the role of mindfulness as support for wisdom when it arises. The error is in the idea to develop mindfulness on its own.

==========
Bhagat:
These qualities (conceit, anger, craving: greed, lust, the 5 vices) belong to the ego. Our ego manifests itself in our thoughts. So it makes sense that if we slowly train our mind to a reduced level of thoughts, and if we slowly train our mind to stop buying into the thoughts we have, then we can slowly kill off our ego.

C: Another very common misconception, namely that thinking is a problem and that it can be reduced.
Consciousness is sometimes described as ‘that which thinks’, this is because thinking happens all the time. Indeed after every experience through one of the five senses, the consciousness at the mind door immediately follows to ‘make sense’ of the object. With more and more input from the different senses, concepts about things and situations are formed. Were these not to happen, we’d not be able to function in the conventional world at all. How could anyone communicate with another? Indeed how could a teacher teach and students learn if thinking didn’t arise to perform its function?!

The problem is not that we think. The problem is in it being fueled by ignorance, attachment, aversion, conceit and worst of all, wrong understanding, day in day out. Thinking does not give rise to conceit, but rather conceit having arisen, begins to direct the show. All our thoughts, justifications and reasonings take on a direction determined by these unwholesome realities. This is why in any argument between two people who are angry; both parties go away feeling righteous about themselves. And why no amount of logic used by one person can change the beliefs and views held by another.

This very idea to reduce / suppress thinking in order to give rise to desired states identified as ‘momentary death of ego’, is likely yet another line of thought dictated by the afore mentioned unwholesome realities. The fact being that thinking continues to arise and has only changed objects but now having a ‘different feel’. Besides ego or conceit, together with ignorance and craving for being, are the last of the tendencies to ever be eradicated at the point of complete enlightenment. To think otherwise and having thoughts to tackle it would be then reflection of misdirected efforts / ambition.

==========
Bhagat:
We essentially live at the mercy of the discursive dialogue that is always taking place within us. We are always talking to ourselves... I am doing so as I type. This dialogue is basically our ego.

C: There are the three proliferations, namely craving, conceit and view. These are what drives our thoughts and they can very quickly alternate.

=========
Bhagat:
Many have found that once this mental discursive dialogue is quieted down, there are wonderful experiences to be had. There is 'happiness' and by that I mean well-being, to be found once the dialogue is quiet. Such happiness/well-being is independent of wordly things. it is independent of eating delicious foods or spending time with friends or family. it is independent of maya.

C: Attachment will take on any object, including the idea of “self being able to do without”. The question to ask of those who claim to dwell in states beyond that of sense pleasures is, what is known and what is understood about the experience? If they are unable to answer and appeal to ineffability with a broad smile, chances are that attachment is still very much at play, only delusion now plays a significant role as well. And this is Maya in one of its more tricky forms.

=========
Bhagat:
A few questions arise at this point:
Is there really a happiness, a well-being that is independent of maya?

C: There is, but first we need to identify correctly what this maya really is. Not only we may miss out on the possibility of understanding what in fact is *not* maya, namely the conditioned phenomena, but may mistake states which in fact are still dependent on maya as being independent of it. So we come back to the need to develop understanding and not aim at happiness or anything else.

==========
Bhagat:
How do we start seeing (intuitively) the danger of attachment [*], and how do we eradicate our ego?
When we meditate. More specifically, when we train the mind, to notice our moment to moment experience. When we train it to see how our ego rises and falls, how it responds to things. Once we start to see it before our eyes, doing what it does, we can address it.

C: And what if we are mistaken, would it not result in falling prey to illusion of result?
The very intention to observe or note starts off a train of thought which include the idea of “someone who is observing something”. This is Maya, the kind particularly tied to people who have heard about the need to be mindful and go about it fuelled by desire.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday, who was a monk for a long time and disrobed about a year ago. He now has the idea of re-ordaining. I tried to reason with him about the wrong intentions involved and what the consequence of that would be. At the end of our discussion I told him about the need for all of us to acknowledge that we are ‘beginners’ and the need to always begin again and again. All this requires patience and courage.

My point is that we need to first and foremost recognize where we are at, being that it is only with this understanding that any progress can ever be made. If we don’t know our own strength and seek to overreach, we end up moving clumsily in the dark and going in circles.

==========
Bhagat:
Meditation techniques often involve learning to focus and concentrate on mundane tasks, tasks that otherwise arouse little interest and little attention.

C: And it is so easy to begin to have an interest in almost anything especially when supported by good reasons and particularly with the idea of having made some progress is projected into it all. ;-)
=========
Bhagat:
This is so that we can train the mind to be senstive to our experiences, so that is able to notice minute things that happen within us. it would not be much of a training if it involved for example, watching TV to which we readily pay attention to.

C: Well, if we understand that there is only ever one moment of consciousness taking on one object at a time which has arisen and fallen away instantly, then watching TV is a situation no worse than being alone in the forest. Indeed we may come to realize that when understanding is absent, our whole waking life is akin to watching a film or being in a dream. The attachment to the stories of our lives is no different to the attachment to the stories we read in a book or in a movie. They are all the same.

==========
Bhagat:
Ego is almost invisible to the average Joe. So the first step in eleminating it, is to learn to notice it.

C: Forget elimination; forget even “trying” to note. Think instead in terms of ‘developing understanding’ which will condition lending ear to the wise and engaging in discussions. Better to return to the beginning again and again.

Sorry for such a long response. It likely is an overload, but I couldn’t help it. :-/

Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji

Very fine message indeed.This is the crux of the message.

I have my own reservations in making use of the word GOD in reference to its conents.
{I am not against any wordas Noun or Adjective which may not be the content of SGGS}
I am only concerned the way these extra word is used.
Gurbaani is perfect in all respect.Does it require the use of any extra word to make us enable to understand Gurbaani.What I feel there can be Substitutional application rather than interstitial application of any extra word.We generally make interstitial use of the words like GOD and or PARMATMA which are not the contents of Gurbaani.This way there is lateral shift in the core concept of Gurbaani.

If we read and understand Gurbaani carefully we would find that Gurbaani is all based on three PRIME WORDS ...GURU...GURu and GUR.Thus there can be nothing beyond the references of these three words.This is my personal obseration.You may pl verify this aspect of Gurbaani.

With best wishes

Prakash.S.Bagga

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: