Sggsj. Experiencing The Sound Or Intellectual Understanding? | Page 2 | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sggsj. Experiencing The Sound Or Intellectual Understanding?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sir, the word "rom" is commonly used as an adjective [Punjabi, language n literature], meaning, "permeating every fibre of the body/or space". Take for example, the shabd [ਚਉਦਸਿ ਚਉਦਹ ਲੋਕ ਮਝਾਰਿ ॥ ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥ ਸਤ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਕਾ ਧਰਹੁ ਧਿਆਨ ॥ ਕਥਨੀ ਕਥੀਐ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨ ॥੧੫॥ 344,SGGSJ]. Translation [bold]...god occupies/lives in every fibre [rom rom]. Note - the word rom is always used consecutively, that is, one after the other [rom rom], to strengthen meaning and context.
I agree with @Original ji. He has proved my point in a much better manner than I did. I thank him for that.

Yes, Rom means "permeating every fibre of the body/or space".

However, in this expression, fibre does not mean hair.

i love you with every fiber in my body
It means this girl/boy really truly loves you with every thing in them down to the last atom and molecule. Most people who say it are truly in love.
"I love you with every fiber in my body"
Urban Dictionary: i love you with every fiber in my body

Hence, it is the perfect expression used but it has nothing to do with hair as wrongly translated in the SGGS by the Christian missionaries who had fallen in love with Sikhi.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Shabad Vichaar by SPN'ers

This month we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary of SPN. Most of us are familiar with the shabad “Lakh Khushiyan Patshaian” which is frequently sung at happy occasions. It is probably the most...

SPN on Facebook

On a scale of dominating ones, which vices affect you the most and Explain Why? You can make multipl

• Kam (Lust)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Krodh (Rage)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Lobh (Greed)

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Moh (Attachment)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Ahankar (Ego)

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Not Sure!

Votes: 4 10.0%