• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Seva - Understanding For Children And Teenagers Alike

Nov 21, 2015
Do you play video games? What is the central theme in each game? Collecting points? Now imagine these points as virtues; designed to attack the bad guys - also known as vices.

Seva is not just all work and no play.

As I wash dishes, help with langgar, mop floors etc, I am on the path of collecting virtues, with Guruji's Grace. A side note: as you mehta take to Guruji, don't forget to humbly request for the ammunition of Seva to help you in dealing with life's vices. Vices you don't know that have crept inside you without you knowing it.

Guruji is all knowing. You Need His Grace.

As you partake in Seva, you are immersing yourself into virtues. You are slowly transforming into something healthy, happy and holy. So much so, the glow of divine light will slowly grow into you.

You just do. No Seva to meet expectations. Seva is for yourself. Not the guys or girls you are after, not material things, not riches or anything else. Seva is for yourself. Your climb down the spiritual ladder to ultimately lead to greater things spiritually. I say "down" the spiritual ladder because God rests in humility. And when you finally have Guruji guiding you, you have great destiny. Its not about being famous. It is about finally undertaking and understanding your true path in life. Right now it may be a mish mash of thoughts guided by vices and other forms.

True path in life? No. It is not about being all holy with a mala around your neck. It is about being on the right path to follow what is designed for you and you alone.

Now, translate your video games into Seva.

Strengthen your Seva by incorporating some simran or paath while you do Seva.

What does Seva do?

Like video games, it, with Guruji's grace, knocks down the bad guys with points that you have collected. Seva with simran further strengthens your psyche. It is all about you.

No expectations. Just do. And keep requesting for Guruji to guide you.

Seva has its tipping point. As you do Seva, it takes great effort to continue into the Seva until it is finished. Guruji advises never to leave the battlefield. Wrong or right, I treat Seva as a battlefield of knocking down my vices and I do not leave halfway with the reasoning that I am tired. I do not give up. I do not leave until my Seva is complete.

Have faith and have humility. Surrender your mind and you will finally find someone greater than yourself to help you clear the brambles that block your path - your true purpose for coming into this world.

Seva may mean different things to different people. I have known people who do not have this vice-virtue mindset. They have sold their head to the Guru and simply serve with Love. Whatever comes is Guruji's will.
For this, Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Do you play video games? What is the central theme in each game? Collecting points? Now imagine these points as virtues; designed to attack the bad guys - also known as vices.

I am not sure, myself, that I would want to go through life seeing life as a game whereby the accumulation of virtues makes my life worth living.

Seva is not just all work and no play.

I do not believe Seva is work at all, in my opinion it is a responsibility that one enjoys given time and understanding.
As I wash dishes, help with langgar, mop floors etc, I am on the path of collecting virtues, with Guruji's Grace. A side note: as you mehta take to Guruji, don't forget to humbly request for the ammunition of Seva to help you in dealing with life's vices. Vices you don't know that have crept inside you without you knowing it.

well, there is more to seva than just cleaning up at the Gurdwara, and in my opinion, more rewards than collecting virtues.

As you partake in Seva, you are immersing yourself into virtues. You are slowly transforming into something healthy, happy and holy. So much so, the glow of divine light will slowly grow into you.
are you 3HO?

You just do. No Seva to meet expectations. Seva is for yourself. Not the guys or girls you are after, not material things, not riches or anything else. Seva is for yourself. Your climb down the spiritual ladder to ultimately lead to greater things spiritually. I say "down" the spiritual ladder because God rests in humility. And when you finally have Guruji guiding you, you have great destiny. Its not about being famous. It is about finally undertaking and understanding your true path in life. Right now it may be a mish mash of thoughts guided by vices and other forms.

I disagree, but then I would, Seva is for Creation in my opinion, not for the self. Seva is for the moment, then it should be forgotten, otherwise the temptation is to go down the ladder of humility in search of great destiny.
Seva has its tipping point. As you do Seva, it takes great effort to continue into the Seva until it is finished. Guruji advises never to leave the battlefield. Wrong or right, I treat Seva as a battlefield of knocking down my vices and I do not leave halfway with the reasoning that I am tired. I do not give up. I do not leave until my Seva is complete.

Guruji advises to use your brain, if the battlefield means certain death, and you can achieve more by fighting another day, then logic dictates it is best to leave the battlefield. Seva seems to have become a personal test of faith, rather than enjoying, assisting and nurturing creation.

Have faith and have humility. Surrender your mind and you will finally find someone greater than yourself to help you clear the brambles that block your path - your true purpose for coming into this world.

Like a Sant? most of those brambles we put there ourselves, why would clearing them be our true purpose?

eva may mean different things to different people. I have known people who do not have this vice-virtue mindset. They have sold their head to the Guru and simply serve with Love.

surely the best kind of Seva?

wonderful post, really enjoyed reading it, hope you do not mind me commenting

Nov 21, 2015
I am not sure, myself, that I would want to go through life seeing life as a game whereby the accumulation of virtues makes my life worth living.

The accumulation of virtues is a central theme in video games. If video games makes life worth living, then why not a taste of Seva using the same principles?

I do not believe Seva is work at all, in my opinion it is a responsibility that one enjoys given time and understanding.

Oh, it starts off as work alright, at first glance. It ceases being work when His Grace operates.

well, there is more to seva than just cleaning up at the Gurdwara, and in my opinion, more rewards than collecting virtues.

True. Yet, charity begins at home imho. Which home is better than our Gurdwara?

are you 3HO?

Hahaha no I am not. Perhaps I am borrowing from them ... I certainly feel healthy and happy. Holy begs another question altogether.

I disagree, but then I would, Seva is for Creation in my opinion, not for the self. Seva is for the moment, then it should be forgotten, otherwise the temptation is to go down the ladder of humility in search of great destiny.

True.

Guruji advises to use your brain, if the battlefield means certain death, and you can achieve more by fighting another day, then logic dictates it is best to leave the battlefield. Seva seems to have become a personal test of faith, rather than enjoying, assisting and nurturing creation.

It is a great point of view. Thank you.

Like a Sant? most of those brambles we put there ourselves, why would clearing them be our true purpose?

Like Guruji. Sometimes we do not know that the brambles are there. To meet and enjoy Seva, even through applying a certain mindset for a start, means clearing illusions that blind us.

surely the best kind of Seva?

Definitely. Yet, I didn't start out with this thinking.

wonderful post, really enjoyed reading it, hope you do not mind me commenting

I try. No, I do not mind at all. Constructive criticism at its best. Thank you.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM