• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Scholarly Books List

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
This new thread will be solely devoted to recommendations for books on Sikhi , with first rate scholarship. It will serve as a resource for others who want solid information.

"The Sikh Way to God Realization" by Sureet Kaur
Ludhiāṇā : Bhāī Dayā Singh Charitable Trust, Gurdwārā Yādgār Sant Ishar Singh Jī, Rāṛā Sāhib, 2004.

Worldcat no: 67359590

worldcat is a global catalogue of library collections. In the U.S. local public libraries via Library Loan program can order u.s. books for you for free
http://www.worldcat.org/

Dr. Sureet Kaur has M.A (English) M.A. (Pujabi), Diploma in Persian, M. Phil and Ph.D in Religious Studies from Punjabi University Patiala.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
futurekaur ji

For your consideration and approval. The Gobal Sikh Studies site has been completely revamped. By linking onto the site one can find numerous scholarly studies in the form of e-books. These are books designed in .pdf format so that a reader can carry them anywhere by laptop or keep them handy on a desktop computer.

The is the link to the home page of Global Sikh Studies.net >> Home Page

And here is the catalog of readings with direct links to the e-books

LINK CATEGORY

Sikh Revolution
Dynamics Of Sikh Revolution
Sikh Ideology
Essentials of Sikhism
Authenticity of Kartarpuri Bir
Planned Attack on AGGS
Ernest Trump & Hew Mcleod as Scholars of Sikh History
Perspectives On Sikh Studies
Advanced Study in Sikhism
Fundamental Issues in Sikh Studies
Recent Researches in Sikhism
Invasion of Religious Boundaries
Perspectives on the Sikh Tradition
Sikhism And Civilization
Truth About Punjab- SGPC White Paper
Early Sikh Scriptural Traadition
Sikhism Issues and Institutions
Compilation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib
english ver. Ahyapur Pothi (Goindwal Pothi)
punjabi ver. Ahyapur Pothi (Goindwal Pothi)
english ver. Janamsakhi Tradition
punjabi ver. Janamsakhi Tradition
How Europe is Indebted to The Sikh( Bhupinder Singh Holland)
Chritro Pakhyaan (vol I)
Chritro Pakhyaan (vol II)
Hikayaat
sham Singh Attariwala not translated into English
Other Books

If a forum member clicks on any one of the links in the catalog the .pdf download window will start up. You will then be asked which application you would like to use and where you want the file to be saved.

Caveat: The authors who wrote these books are writing from various sides of the issues, some very controversial. Some members may disagree with the perspectives of some of the authors. This thread is not assuming an ideological stance one way or the other.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Also from Global Sikh Studies one can find e-books and articles on the authenticity of the Dasam Granth. Various points of view and opinion are included.

Opinions on the Authenticity of the Presently Published
Dasam Granth at Glance <o></o>

British Connection and Presently Published Dasam Granth - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann NEW
DASAM GRANTH - ITS HISTORY - Daljeet Singh
Dasam Granth Authenticity - Harinder Singh Mehboob
Bachitar Natak An Analysis - Dr.Devinder Singh
Textual Analysis,History and Academic issues with Important Dasam Granth Birs Reported in Literature - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann
English Translation of Tales in Persian (Hikayaats) from Dasam Granth -Pritpal Singh Bindra NEW
Kalaam-e-Goya: Bhai Nand Lal - Translated by Sardar Pritpal Singh Bindra NEW
Sources of Literature on Dasam Granth - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann my note - a bibliography
Sketch of the Sikhs - John Malcolm (from Google) my note-hard to read-you will have to magnify the page

Caveat: The authors who wrote these earticles are writing from various sides of the issues, some very controversial. Some members may disagree with the perspectives of some of the authors. This thread is not assuming an ideological stance one way or the other.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Also from Global Sikh Studies one can find e-books and articles on the authenticity of the Dasam Granth. Various points of view and opinion are included.

Opinions on the Authenticity of the Presently Published
Dasam Granth at Glance <o></o>

British Connection and Presently Published Dasam Granth - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann NEW
DASAM GRANTH - ITS HISTORY - Daljeet Singh
Dasam Granth Authenticity - Harinder Singh Mehboob
Bachitar Natak An Analysis - Dr.Devinder Singh
Textual Analysis,History and Academic issues with Important Dasam Granth Birs Reported in Literature - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann
English Translation of Tales in Persian (Hikayaats) from Dasam Granth -Pritpal Singh Bindra NEW
Kalaam-e-Goya: Bhai Nand Lal - Translated by Sardar Pritpal Singh Bindra NEW
Sources of Literature on Dasam Granth - Dr. Jasbir Singh Mann my note - a bibliography
Sketch of the Sikhs - John Malcolm (from Google) my note-hard to read-you will have to magnify the page

Caveat: The authors who wrote these earticles are writing from various sides of the issues, some very controversial. Some members may disagree with the perspectives of some of the authors. This thread is not assuming an ideological stance one way or the other.

Thanks for that.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Good initiative... you can find many more books in sikhism here --> Sikhism Homepage - Books Store

Regards

Aman ji

There are 43 pages of links to scholarly books on Sikhism in the SPN Bookstore. I have not checked every link. But interested forum members should definitely go the link you provided above. Then type "sikh" in the search bar. Books cover Sikh spirituality, history, culture, gender issues, diaspora, scriptures, and more. Very impressive collection, with most books written by learned individuals. Later in the week, I will post a selection of links to specific books.

Thank you for reminding us.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Aad ji:
fantastic! I can' wait to start reading from that site. Here's my small contribution for today:

C. Shackle An introduction to the sacred language of the Sikhs
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 1983.
ISBN: 0728601079

The book is a primer on grammar to understand the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It's all right but the author omits romanization too quickly, making the task more difficult than it should be. The vocabulary is excellent.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Futurekaur,

I am trying to find the book by Shackle. Another forum member, Kelly Kaur, recommends it also. The publisher Corbin sold the copyright to another publisher Rutledge, who does not list the book now on its web site. Forum members would probably appreciate it very much if you were to tell us how you acquired the book.

As for the list so far. Thank you.. and give feedback if there are some things that might need to be cut out. Next step is to look at all the books on the SPN Book Store and make recommendations.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Aad ji;
I borrowed the Shackle book from UNC's library. For those in the U.S. you can borrow the book for free via library loan from your local public library.
Here is the Worldcat no:10538259

To buy the book:
type in the title into 'Google Books' on the right you will see the various booksellers you can buy it from, look about as prices really vary! I got mine for $35. USD from ABE books.
Saujanya Books Saujanya Books: Leading Exporters of Indian and Tibetan Books in India also sells it for $44.00 USD a good price but for overseas sales minimum orders must be $60.
you could get C. Shackle's 'Guru Nanak Glossary'

I actually bought another book Surinder Singh Kohli's 'Dictionary of the Guru Granth Sahib" from Biblio Used Books, Textbooks, Rare Books, and Out of Print Books at Biblio something like $12 US with s/h as it comes from UK. It's a later book than Shackle's and I can always compare it with the Shackle glossary and buy that one later.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
futurekaur ji

Thank you for this information. Ending several frustrating months waiting for the book to be re-stocked by another asian book seller. Will get right on it.

Fateh!

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Aad ji;
I'm glad to have been of help.

For those wanting to learn to speak Modern Punjabi. There is:
Colloquial Panjabi : a complete language course / Mangat Rai Bhardwaj.
Routledge, 1995
ISBN: 041510193X

I cannot recommend it, as the book uses an overly complex Romanisation and the Gurmukhi for the lessons is in the back, making it extremely hard to use.

there is :
Teach Yourself Panjabi: by Surji Singh Kalra
Teach Yourself books, 3rd Rev. 2007
034095891X

I have no comment. I purchased an old paperback 'Teach Yourself Panjabi' by Prof Shackle for $7.00 The older books have more grammar which is more helpful to me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
futurekaur ji

As usual you are meticulous in the detail you provide, and very straightforward. Thank you.

Now cheer! I have just found An Introduction to the Sacred Language of the Sikhs, per your advice, and bought it 10 minutes ago. Then proceeded to purchase Professor Surinder Singh Kohil's Dictionary of the Guru Granth Sahib. Now, having wrecked my oath to pinch pennies for the next few months, I nonetheless thank you for all your help.

I can read the Romanized transliteration of Gurbani -- making yet another mistake more than a year ago to study it in earnest. So that part will be OK (I hope).

But this is so wonderful.:wah:

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
re: Punjabi SPN - Discussing Vocabulary, Grammar, and More

Dal ji;
the alphabet and common everyday words are very good and helpful. But non-Punjabis beginners like me need more help; a verb table with declensions and sentence construction. I appreciate your posting it, and I'm sure it will be helpful to others here.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
re: Punjabi SPN - Discussing Vocabulary, Grammar, and More

Dalsingh ji

This book is actually a good one for me. I need vocabulary builders. And the drill aspect of this is good.

Thankx

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM