• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Satisfied With Life, Couple Ends Life In Goa

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
PANAJI: A young couple working in the IT industry committed suicide by hanging themselves at their residence in Merces, just outside Panaji. The decomposed bodies were found by Old Goa police on Thursday night after neighbours complained of a foul smell emerging from the flat.

Police suspect the couple-Anand, 39 and Deepa Ranthidevan, 36-from South India committed suicide three days ago. "They had checked out of a city-based 5-star resort, where they were staying for the last two months, on October 3," police said.

A suicide note in English, singed by the couple and dated October 3, states that the couple ended their lives of their own free will and no one should be held responsible or accountable for it.

The couple removed the ceiling fan in the drawing room and hanged themselves to a rope tied to the hook. "We suspect that they stood together on a stool and tied themselves with one end of the rope each and then pushed away the stool," police sources said.

The single-page suicide note, addressed to "whom it may concern", states, "We have lived a very eventful and happy life together. We've travelled the world, lived in different countries, made more money than we ever thought possible, and enjoyed spending as much of it as we could on things that brought us joy and satisfaction. We believe in the philosophy that our life belongs to us and only us, and we have the right to choose to die as much as we have the right to live."

The note further mentions that the couple leaves no liabilities or debts behind. There is a list of their properties, including a jointly-owned flat, attached to the suicide note. "They have also kept their last will and testament with respect to their belongings, duly signed by them," sources said.

The two have asked the finder of the suicide note to cremate their bodies in the government electrical crematorium after informing the families. "They have kept Rs 10,000 in cash in an envelope to be used towards expenses for cremation....," police sources said.

Police have sent the bodies for post-mortem to Goa medical college and hospital and intimated the relatives of the deceased. "They have said they are too old to travel and asked us to perform the last rites. We have asked them to give this in writing," police added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ple-ends-life-in-Goa/articleshow/10272043.cms

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isn't this the most baffling case? Doesn't make any sense at all. Why would anyone want to take their life? If indeed they were as emotion less and controlled while writing their suicide note, it is in a way disturbing.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Isn't this the most baffling case? Doesn't make any sense at all. Why would anyone want to take their life? If indeed they were as emotion less and controlled while writing their suicide note, it is in a way disturbing.

Humans are very mysterious many times they do actions which are beyond understanding. others.Just read the comments their ,you may find some of them supporting their decision,Some are saying if there are reason to live then there are reasons to die too here is one comment I am posting from their

Kpbhatt (bharuch)
12 hrs ago (03:47 PM)
plese ask question to your self for what purpose you are living? What is your goal in life ? 95% of the people is living for their parents or their kids or to get fame, money. Every body is racing directionless. this couple has taught us how to live the life. Just enjoy your life as well as your death. " marne ke waqt bhi lagna chhahiye ke, saalaaa mazza aaa gaya." Spirit of life and death.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Just because you can't find a reason to live doesn't make it a valid reason to die. And it seems they didn't have much of a family (and maybe friends). They just died alone and no one came to 'claim' the bodies. They were just asked to be cremated and their ashes sent back. I think they died in vain. For they didn't still die on their own. I don't like the sound of 'we should be allowed to choose what we want to do with our lives' if all you mean to do is to end your life.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Just because you can't find a reason to live doesn't make it a valid reason to die. And it seems they didn't have much of a family (and maybe friends). They just died alone and no one came to 'claim' the bodies. They were just asked to be cremated and their ashes sent back. I think they died in vain. For they didn't still die on their own. I don't like the sound of 'we should be allowed to choose what we want to do with our lives' if all you mean to do is to end your life.

Yes you may be right ,but it is becoming problem of modern urban India.On one hand we khap panchayats dictating which caste to marry on the other hand we have increasing number of socially bankrupt people.These people don't care about society ,never visit relatives .Soon they found that they are no longer part of their family society ,nobody invites them to functions , marriages etc

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
In the past when I have read about people planning suicides together, it's because they have been brainwashed by some cult that suggests this life is false/in peril and a better existence awaits them if they follow instructions...

For example, remember that mob in the '90s that trailed comet Halle Bop?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

I note the article said nothing about this couples' religious views and I just wonder if there has been some external influence some where.....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM