• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rana Caste

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Are Bhappa's Khatri?

If they are Khatri then would not Guru's be classed Bhappa too?

Are they not maligning our Guru's?

My impression is they are trying to malign the Sikh saroop generally.

Randip Ji..you....Hit the nail square on its head...
This is NOT a Random thing..imho its a consistent and planned attack on SikhI Sroop by targetting the bhappas..Jattas are already targetted thru the "films" which show them in very bad light..always fighting, murdering over a piece fo land, raping pillaging and using very bad langauage and drinking womansiing..etc EACH and EVERY so called Jatt film is like this Vulgar and Rowdy. So next villify the Bhappas ( and YES our Guurs were all Bhappas as they were Khatrees) so two birds with one stone...are being killed thru these videos..

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
So I guessed right. Bhappas are Pakistani sikhs or sikhs who lived in Western Punjab. We have Khatri sikhs in Faridabad. They speak multani as their mother tongue. Even in their gurudwaras the songs etc are in multani unless they are taken straight from SGGS.

However, in all my life i don't remember calling them Bhappe or anything like that.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Ji..you....Hit the nail square on its head...
This is NOT a Random thing..imho its a consistent and planned attack on SikhI Sroop by targetting the bhappas..Jattas are already targetted thru the "films" which show them in very bad light..always fighting, murdering over a piece fo land, raping pillaging and using very bad langauage and drinking womansiing..etc EACH and EVERY so called Jatt film is like this Vulgar and Rowdy. So next villify the Bhappas ( and YES our Guurs were all Bhappas as they were Khatrees) so two birds with one stone...are being killed thru these videos..

I get it now.

The virtues of a Sikh i.e. Sant siphahi are being attacked.

Sant - Bhappa/urban are attacked because they empitomise intelligence in Sikhi.

Siphahi - Jatt/rural are attacked because they represent honesty and bravery in Sikhi.

Attack the stereo types and destroy Sikhi.

this IS sinister.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL to all .

It is amazing many members jumped on their research to find about which cast Rana belongs to. Also some one is curious to know if his cast Rana is superior than the others

Most of these people keep on adapting new cast names than previously held by their for fathers simply to improve their social images to emerge in society to have easy going social status..

Is there any high class . Yes it all depends on one's personal deeds.Man is know for his deeds not by birth in higher class.

To be called Sikh one must get rid of cast system and follow fundamenatl foundations laid by Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji who created 5 Piare who were all from lowers cast .

Not a single so called higher cast people came forward to Guru Gobnidh Singh Ji's call to have one head to sacrifice stayed under the the tent but ran away like a cowered who are making much more noises of their high cast in today's society.

Man is known by his deeds not by birth.

Obviously if one believe in cast system is not respecting Sikh beliefs and teaching of of Guru Nanak Dev Ji who out right denounced cast system as HIS first step.

I appreciate if all members to post their comments to create more awareness of our beliefs.

Jaspi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jaspi ji

This is exactly what we should take to our hears.
Man is known by his deeds not by birth.

Obviously if one believe in cast system is not respecting Sikh beliefs and teaching of of Guru Nanak Dev Ji who out right denounced cast system as HIS first step.

I appreciate if all members to post their comments to create more awareness of our beliefs.

But there is one problem, and it is not a small problem. Even though Sikhs should renounce, even though Guru Nanak renounced, caste -- what do we see. The media, aided and abetted by unfriendly factions of society, continue to promote caste labels for Sikhs. And they do it to undermine Sikhi. How does one put a stop to that? I am sure it can be done, however, these are prejudices that run wide and deep through society.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

Remember the old saying :

"Mend yourself than mending the whole world"

Out of 5 habits are clearly stated in our Gurbani that

PROHIBITIVE FIVE habits to be controlled up to normal proportions is strongly taught in Sikhism by tools of NAM JAPNA and reading Gurbani to control such habits.:

Greed,Ego,Anger, Attachments,Money are 5 habits has to be in control proportionally.

But today Greed .Anger,Ego has become a pride to have . Even all these Baba's are full of anger when they are offended with certain criticism by the society of their actions to gain money and self recognitions with different titles .

The cancer has to be treated at grass roots level.
the solutions are to create more awareness and stop mending the world but mend oneself philosophy.

There are individual who are using stage of religious teaching in thier own styles causing more divisions which are all supported by political leaders to get massive vote from each rich Babas.

Evil is never been evolved to any good results but getting worst by passing ever day.The tragedy is we even realize that we are going down in breaking families,children are running away from our practices of following fundamental teachings of Guru Sahib but strongly became slaves of EGO,ANGER,GREED and follow the same rat race to follow these power hungry BABA'S who are leading the society.But if they are offended by some one .serious consequences are applied by their protective agents.

Humbleness is flown out of our lives ,criticism and comparison in individual life is measured by status of richness.

We wish that if Baba Guru Nanak Dev Ji make a another visit to this world.
Jaspi

jaspi ji

This is exactly what we should take to our hears.

But there is one problem, and it is not a small problem. Even though Sikhs should renounce, even though Guru Nanak renounced, caste -- what do we see. The media, aided and abetted by unfriendly factions of society, continue to promote caste labels for Sikhs. And they do it to undermine Sikhi. How does one put a stop to that? I am sure it can be done, however, these are prejudices that run wide and deep through society.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I have met Ranas who are both Muslims (Pakistani) and Sikhs in London. The Sikhs who have the name claim to be Jats, whilst the Muslims claim to be from a Rajput background. They are both likely to have the same antecedants.

I have a theory which may explain. I know Randip Singh on the forumdoesn't share my views on this btw. lol

If you look at some early Sikh and Persian sources, they highlight serious conflict between Khalsa Sikhs and Rajput princes/warriors. This is mentioned in Bachitar Natak. It is also recorded that Rajputs resisted Khalsa innovations and remain aloof from them, considering the Khalsa a generally low caste rabble.

Historical processes (i.e. the Sikh revolution) in the 18th century turned things on their head. So some Rajputs converted to Sikhi, some to Islam and some remained Hindu. Within the Muslim community Jats are held in low esteem in comparison to Sikh Panjab. Hence Muslim Rajputs retained their former label, however within Sikh Panjab, I believe that Rajputs changed their identity to Jats, because this had a higher status in that community.

In London I have met many Pakistani Ranas, Bhattis and Rathors all of whom described themselves as being of Rajput ancestory. As you may know these surnames (gotras) are also very common amongst Sikhs but every Sikh I have encountered with the same surnames so far, have described themselves as being of Jat ancestory. I think the status hypothesis may explain this.

That being said, some clan names are strange in that they cross so called "castes" (which I think is the bane of SIkhs for the record). So you can meet "Maan" Jats and occasionally Tarkhan ones. Gills can also be Chumar or Jat. I'm not sure of Gyani Jis point because the Gill Chumars I have met do not try and hide their caste and present themselves as Jat. Similarly you can meet "Virdee" Tarkhans as well as "Virdee" Chumars.

As I am getting older I am seeing that the so called rigid caste system has many holes and is not simply explainable as some linear development of separate communities. There is a lot more to it than this. Castes labels have probably not been as stable as made out by some.

Not that I disagree, just that their is no evidence for it. I have met Rajput Sikhs in Punjab that maintain their Rajput identity very strongly. Here is an extreme example:

3 held for killing youth
Main suspect being shielded: widow
Varinder Singh
Tribune News Service

Hoshiarpur, November 27
The Hoshiarpur police has arrested three of the four persons suspected of hacking Jasbir Singh to death with swords on Tuesday at Jahankhelan village bus stand for marrying a girl from another caste.

Meanwhile, business establishments in the main bazaar of Jahankhelan village were opened today.

The Hoshiarpur police today arrested the suspects Naresh Kumar, alias Jagga, son of Sukhchain Singh, Subhash Chand Bagga and Daljit Singh Jeeta, sons of Daya Ram from the Jamun Wala Choe here today. Parbhat Singh, Pappi, the main accusedaccording to Geeta, the wife of Jasbir Singh, was however, still at large.

Mr Lok Nath, SSP, said the suspects had been absconding since Tuesday morning. During the preliminary interrogation the three persons confessed to their involvement in the crime. The motive behind the crime was the marriage of the deceased with Geeta in a court and this love marriage was not acceptable to Geeta’s relatives, said Mr Lok Nath. He said the complainant, Geeta, had been provided with a security cover and the SHO (Sadar) and the DSO (Rural) had been visiting the family after the crime took place in order to instill a sense of security among the family members. Police parties are also patrolling the area,said Mr Lok Nath, adding that all efforts would be made to nab the fourth accused.

On the other hand, while admitting that adequate security has been provided to her by the police, Geeta wife of the deceased, today alleged that some police officials and a prominent politician from the village were trying to shield the main accused, Prabhat Singh, who was still at large.

A police official from our village and a political person, who had instigated the youth of our Rajput community against Jasbir after our marriage, are behind the surrender of the three accused as they want Parbhat Pappi to go scott free. I have come to know that they had even offered Rs 50,000 to some youth for killing Jasbir, who according to them had humiliated their whole community by marrying a Rajput girl, alleged Geeta. She said it was Pappi, who had chopped off Jasbir’s arm before killing him in cold blood and it was he who had thrown it in front of house of Jasbirs aunt Kapoor Kaur before fleeing from the scene of crime along with others.

The SP, Mr Opinderjit Singh Ghumman, said further investigation was on and hoped that the police would recover arms allegedly used by the suspects soon.

HOSHIARPUR: Four persons belonging to the Rajput community brutally murdered 22-year-old Jasbir Singh of the Jat community for marrying a Rajput girl at Jahankhelan village about 7 km from here.

Jasbir Singh and Geeta had got married two months back at Chandigarh in the high court, as Geeta's maternal grandparents and relatives were against this marriage.

The four accused -Daljit Singh, Subash Singh, Prabhat Singh and Naresh Kumar - attacked Jasbir with swords and killed him, as he was about to board a bus at about 9 am from the Jahankhelan bus stop.

According to reports, the accused took a severed shoulder of Jasbir Singh and threw it in the compound of the deceased's house.

The Sadar police have registered a case but no arrest has been made so far.

A tragic case of a Jat boy being murdered by Rajputs for loving a Rajput girl.

Rajputs do not hold Jats in high regard even in Punjab I'm afraid.

There is definitely a link between Jats and Rajputs, but I don't think it's a very flattering one.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Rana is not a caste but a clan or tribal name. If you go back to the beginning of this thread and read forward you will read a lot of fascinating information on the topic of the Rana surname

Rana (Hindi, Urdu: رانا) is a family name, originally a Hindu ancestry now found in all religions such as Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism etc. Rana is a surname used by the Gurjars, Rajputs and a very few Jatts of India, Pakistan and Nepal. Most of the Ranas reside in Northern states like Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab.

Many Ranas in western Punjab region converted to Islam and they primarily reside in Punjab, Pakistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rana_(clan)

My note: Among Punjabi Sikhs (only) The surname Rana is a name which is associated with the Kalal subcaste, a subcaste of artisans. In Nepal, the name Rana is associated with princely famlies.

gani

SPNer
Jul 27, 2016
how can intermingling change a caste of whole family? bhai roop chand ji was rajput jat and marrying other caste change his caste..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM