• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rana Caste

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Wow that was very confusing. I just don't understand the caste system at all, I always thought it was to do with the last name the family name, but reading through this thread shows that it is just not that simple.

I'm English, over here we still have the class system(although our goverment likes to pretend we don't) but it is all about money.

I grew up in a poor family which makes me working class, now no matter how much I earn that will never change, but my children can be said to be middle class.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Wow that was very confusing. I just don't understand the caste system at all, I always thought it was to do with the last name the family name, but reading through this thread shows that it is just not that simple.

I'm English, over here we still have the class system(although our goverment likes to pretend we don't) but it is all about money.

I grew up in a poor family which makes me working class, now no matter how much I earn that will never change, but my children can be said to be middle class.

Most Rajputs are poor too, and have taken to profession which they think are humiliating like ploughing, artisan, and merchant work, but they still think they are better than the richest Jatt.:D

Weird I know. I live in this weird world and still don't get it.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Heh yes weird is the word, and what else is weird is that to my mind ploughing, well that's good honest work that provides food, artisan, where would we be with such skilled people and merchants, well in this Capitilist and consumer driven world, I guess we can't work without them also.

Weird indeed, but strangely wonderfull for it.

Aug 17, 2009
Brahmins traditionally have a role to play in a society. Ok tell me this, Will Antulay take daan? daan is the offering people give to a brahmin which supposedly goes to their ancestors. Will Antulay take daan and bless the people because that is the job of a brahmin.

The thing is these brahmins are classified, i had asked my brahmin friend and according to him not all are entitled to daan. Daan can only be taken b the karamkaand brahmins who do the puja paath stuff. Not all brahmins are in that category is what he says.

Antulay had taken pride on his origins but he doesnt wish to become a brahmin so any of those rituals wouldnt come into picture

Aug 17, 2009
Indeed. Sorry if I offend, but I find Jats and Ramgarhia the biggest culprit in terms of showing off amongst Sikhs.

thats true they have their caste issues high above Sikhi. For them anyone else is much inferior. Jatt da puttar and gabru jatt and what not. The fact is to take pride is different than being arrogant about that identity which really is not being understood by them.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
and what about all the punjabi movies - indian as well as pakistani

Maula jatt
Vehshi Jatt
Jatt da gandasa
jatt punjab da
punjabi jatt
jatt da wair
jatt te zameen
jigar jatt da
Qurbani jatt di
jatt jeona morh
bhagat dhanna jatt
jaga daaku
:crazy:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
and what about all the punjabi movies - indian as well as pakistani

Maula jatt
Vehshi Jatt
Jatt da gandasa
jatt punjab da
punjabi jatt
jatt da wair
jatt te zameen
jigar jatt da
Qurbani jatt di
jatt jeona morh
bhagat dhanna jatt
jaga daaku
:crazy:

imho..simple economics...

who would want to see a movie..suniar dee thorree, chamar dee juttee manja tarkahan da...rambi lohar dee....goha mazhbi da...khota ghumiar da !!

Why make a Movie on Dhanna the Jatt when we have Ravidass Ji, Kabir Ji..Namdev Ji..also.. ??

The Jatt sound good drama material..just like the Cowboy-Indian stuff Hollywood began with...no Hollywood made nay movies about the Chinaman laundry/railway workers..etc..UNTIL it became saleable..then we had so many Kung fu movies..and chinamen stars

Times are CHANGING...who can say we wont be seeing a movie..called Putt Chamaran de...in 2010...Jutee chmaaar dee...or even Manjeean trkhanna deean ?? I see a lot of posters on car back screens..PUTT Chamaaran de...Mundah trakhaanan Da...kurree ghumiarran dee !! Long ago it was BORING..everyone only had..PUTT Sardaran de..or Putt jattan de stickers..:star::star::star::star::star:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

who would want to see a movie..suniar dee thorree, chamar dee juttee manja tarkahan da...rambi lohar dee....goha mazhbi da...khota ghumiar da !!

Why make a Movie on Dhanna the Jatt when we have Ravidass Ji, Kabir Ji..Namdev Ji..also.. ??

The Jatt sound good drama material..just like the Cowboy-Indian stuff Hollywood began with...no Hollywood made nay movies about the Chinaman laundry/railway workers..etc..UNTIL it became saleable..then we had so many Kung fu movies..and chinamen stars

Times are CHANGING...who can say we wont be seeing a movie..called Putt Chamaran de...in 2010...Jutee chmaaar dee...or even Manjeean trkhanna deean ?? I see a lot of posters on car back screens..PUTT Chamaaran de...Mundah trakhaanan Da...kurree ghumiarran dee !! Long ago it was BORING..everyone only had..PUTT Sardaran de..or Putt jattan de stickers..:star::star::star::star::star:

Sorry my stomach is hurting from laughing :D

Maybe we should make such a film. See what the reaction is. :)

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre

haha yes. it reminds me of a story my mate told me. His cousin had all his licence and papers checked because he had one simple line on his car "Je tussi Jatt, te Asi vi nahi Ghatt". Since the Punjab Police are mostly Jatt, they felt they had to check him up a bit.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
The thing is these brahmins are classified, i had asked my brahmin friend and according to him not all are entitled to daan. Daan can only be taken b the karamkaand brahmins who do the puja paath stuff. Not all brahmins are in that category is what he says.

Antulay had taken pride on his origins but he doesnt wish to become a brahmin so any of those rituals wouldnt come into picture

Your friend is right but thats not connected with Antulay. Origins is ok but you can only really call yourself 'brahmin' or 'rajput' or 'jatt' IF the marriages in your famil happen within that caste. Marriage is the main thing that keeps castecism alive. otherwise, you just have surname that was once connected with some caste.

Aug 17, 2009
Your friend is right but thats not connected with Antulay. Origins is ok but you can only really call yourself 'brahmin' or 'rajput' or 'jatt' IF the marriages in your famil happen within that caste. Marriage is the main thing that keeps castecism alive. otherwise, you just have surname that was once connected with some caste.

I would really rejoice the day when such caste and class gets intermixed and we have some Shastri and Tirvedi partly dalits and brahmins. Similiarly with tarkhan and jatt the so called majhbi, and so on. Easier said than done !

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
So is the language the difference between "Bhappe" and other sikhs?

I am a jatt and have mixed around with everyone else...i found the bhappas much more into SIKHEE - very few of them discard the dastaar and all.compared to the "Jatts" who are now about 80% monas...so it may be jealousy on the part of the Jatts..certainly the bhappas in this regions (SEA) talk the same as us....jatt, chimbeh, mazhbis, kamboj and the rest..whatever..we are all SIKHS and we meet in the Gurdawra..we talk the same language..
The Bhappa Gurdwaras are better run and managed..MUCH MUCH more Gurbani parchaar anyway..Jatts fight too much to take over and keep control of their Gurdawaras....bhappas on the other hand have their Grand Offices... own businesses/servants/factory workers etc.....so there is less "need" to sit in a Gurdwara Office and Lord it over the Granthi...!! a typical Jatt has to lord it on the Granthi because at home he is probabaly not even allowed to lord it over the wife/kids...so they FIGHT to the "DEATH" to remain Gurdawara Pardhaan sakatar etc..he he he

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I visited the Bhapa page on Utube from which this video was taken...and saw that this is part of a vicious campaign to malign the bhappas..same screenshots in most of the videos..but the wordings are clearly casteist/racist and highly offensive.
Not funny at all...attempt to Divide and Rule...cause rifts among SIKHS based on caste..:}--}:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I visited the Bhapa page on Utube from which this video was taken...and saw that this is part of a vicious campaign to malign the bhappas..same screenshots in most of the videos..but the wordings are clearly casteist/racist and highly offensive.
Not funny at all...attempt to Divide and Rule...cause rifts among SIKHS based on caste..:}--}:

Are Bhappa's Khatri?

If they are Khatri then would not Guru's be classed Bhappa too?

Are they not maligning our Guru's?

My impression is they are trying to malign the Sikh saroop generally.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM