• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Promotion And Preservation Of Gurmukhi Script

Do You Feel Gurmukhi is Loosing its Importance?

• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harleen90

SPNer
Jan 20, 2011
Sat sri akal,

I am a student at a reputed design institute in New Delhi, INDIA. As a part of my course I am supposed to do a project on any design related topic or issue. I considered this as an opportunity to study gurmukhi: my mother tongue. My area of focus is the preservation and promotion of our holy script GURMUKHI. As a part of my primary research i would like to open this topic for discussion to all gursikhs. This information would be compiled in the form of a book on gurmukhi and delivered to my neighbourhood gurudwara for people to read. Please post your comments, views and ideas for preservation and promotion of gurmukhi and why it is important to us.

Rab Rakha,
Harleen

Aug 13, 2004
US
Bhanji,

I misread your poll question......so I change my choice to 'may be'. Gurmukhi can never loose its importance as this is language of our Guru. No matter how many more languages we may transiterate or translate Gurbani into; the essence can never be same. People who really want to follow Gurbani in their lives; they are still making effort to learn Gurmukhi and pass on the next generation.

Best wishes for your study,

Guru Raakha!
Prabhjot

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
This is one example of How the Authorities in Punjab..."preserve" Gurmukhi Script..BUT DESTROY PUNJABI !!
1. The Name of Amritsar International Airport was changed from Rajasansi ( name of a particular community liivng in the vicinity and to which Maharaja Ranjit Singh Shereh unjab belonged)... TO SRI GURU RAMDASS JI International Airport in Honour of the Founder of Amritsar....BUT certian quarters continue to use the Old Name...while others "use" it but in the wrong way...

2. Sign in "Gurmukhi Script" BUT HINDI language.. ( and NOT PUNJABI !!)
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਅਂਤਰ੍ਰਾਸ਼੍ਟ੍ਰੀਯ ਹਵਾਈ ਅਡ੍ਡਾ

3. Sign in HINDI (Devnagree Script) and HINDI LANGUAGE
श्री गुरु रामदास जी अंतर्राष्ट्रीय हवाई अड्डा

What it should be in Proper GURMUKHI SCRIPT and PUNJABI LANGUAGE !!

sRI gurU rwmdws jI AMqrwStrI hvweI A`fw

Note the words in different colours...the script is Gurmukhi but the Langauge is Hindi !!
This is supposed to be the PUNJAB that supports PUNJABI as its Sole and Primary Language.

harleen90

SPNer
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you everyone for your response and expressing your views on the issue. I would love to see more views on the same topic. I wish this topic receives a good response.

harleen90

SPNer
Jan 20, 2011
I would like to clear out any confusions regarding the issue. I would like to make it clear that the topic is related to the gurmukhi script only. It only speaks about the preservation and promotion of our script, as we know today. I am working on the promotional and preservation aspect of the script. I believe that it is an integral part of our heritage and should be given utmost honour and respect. It is the base of a language that is spoken by millions of sikhs all across the globe. Hence, one should not let the spirit of such a strong culture die by forgetting its root i.e. its language, its script.

This thread and poll invites everyone's views and ideas on the issue "Preservation and promotion of gurmukhi" as a script. These views will be compiled in the form of a research book and the ideas will be executed to the maximum extent possible.

Rb Rakha,
Harleen

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM