• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Positive Interfaith Quotes And Art

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I post one below about Sikhism. I would love to see other such posted for other religions and faiths as noted by outsiders. Outsiders being one's from outside looking in or being of a different faith than what they are commenting upon!

quotes.jpg

Regards.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ambarsaria ji,

I would rather strip people of all their religious influence and lead them to consider the fundamentals of experience. This is where the common lies. It is where we are all the same. Interfaith dialogue only leads to more confusion, although there will be knowledge accompanied by happiness or even bliss, which comes with ignorance, attachment and wrong understanding from time to time.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Confused ji thanks for your post. One comment below,
strip people of all their religious influence and lead them to consider the fundamentals of experience. This is where the common lies. It is where we are all the same. ..
Why should I or others give dis-proportionate weight to your comments and not of the people in the one I quoted? I do not believe they are making any statements under any duress and perhaps are making these as naturally as you and me. Don't they have such right to speak and us to listen or read or try to think about what they say? My purpose is not to gloat about Sikhism. It is simply to see others, who may be less tainted than me, perhaps more objective than me about Sikhism, to read or hear their opinions just as I do the same for your excellent posts.

I believe it is a pretty fundamental and natural way the humans communicate.

Any thoughts!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I note the following I came across the Internet in terms of comments on Islam from what I can tell non-Muslims. I stand corrected as I have not verified the authenticity of the quotations but simply copied and pasted here in the sense of the thread topic.
The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of o*ne spiritual empire, that is Muhammed. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he? " Lamartine, Historie de la Turquie, Paris 1854, Vol. 11 pp. 276-2727

"If a man like Muhammed were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness." George Bernard Shaw

[*] "The extinction of race consciousness as between Muslims is o*ne of the outstanding achievements of Islam and in the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue..." (A.J. Toynbee, CIVILIZATION o*n TRIAL, New York, p. 205)

"I am not a Muslim in the usual sense, though I hope I am a "Muslim" as "one surrendered to God," but I believe that embedded in the Quran and other expressions of the Islamic vision are vast stores of divine truth from which I and other occidentals have still much to learn, and 'Islam is certainly a strong contender for the supplying of the basic framework of the o*ne religion of the future.'" --W. Mont

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ambarsaria ji,

Quote: Originally Posted by Confused
strip people of all their religious influence and lead them to consider the fundamentals of experience. This is where the common lies. It is where we are all the same. ..

Why should I or others give dis-proportionate weight to your comments and not of the people in the one I quoted?

Yes, so long as you do not recognize the difference between what is real / truth and what is not, you will read my comments as just another set of ideas amongst many.

I do not believe they are making any statements under any duress and perhaps are making these as naturally as you and me.

I wonder why you bring this question about duress up. Everything anyone says is of course natural, no matter what the circumstance. The question is who is making a statement in line with the Truth and who is not.

Don't they have such right to speak and us to listen or read or try to think about what they say?

They have the right to speak, I have the right to speak, you have the right to speak and this is a discussion list. But is this the issue here? Have I missed something?

My purpose is not to gloat about Sikhism.

I did not think at the time, that you were. Besides is it not so that the number of outside people who praise any particular religion is so few as compared to those who criticize it? And why should the opinion of such people as those you site matter? Perhaps it would be more significant had the founder of one religion expressed praise for another religion. But then, here too there will be questions….

It is simply to see others, who may be less tainted than me, perhaps more objective than me about Sikhism, to read or hear their opinions…..

This is where the problem is.
I don’t see anything useful coming from this idea. Will you not end up agreeing with any praise and disagreeing with the criticisms? Have you not made up your mind what the correct understanding is? Besides, I see this as similar to the idea of interfaith dialogue, which I consider to be nothing more than an attempt to solve the problem of ignorance and hatred by encouraging instead, ignorance and attachment. And attachment in my view is a greater problem than hatred.

What I therefore was suggesting, was for all, be he a Christian, Sikh, Muslim or Buddhist, to question the preconceived ideas related to one's own as well as that of other religions, and thereby come to realize that in the end, there are just the basic experiences through the five senses and the mind to be known. And this is common to all and is where we are all the same.

If you don't agree with this, please tell me why?

I believe it is a pretty fundamental and natural way the humans communicate.

What is being communicated is the question.

Aug 28, 2010
The meanings of all religion teachings tend to be different in Peace times and
War times.
There is always conflict between these two .
Sometimes it becomes difficult to justify War times Concept in the periods
of peace.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Confused ji thanks as always for responding. Your comments have clarified the dialog and unless I have comment I have skipped part of your response as being one for mutual information and understanding.
.... And why should the opinion of such people as those you site matter? Perhaps it would be more significant had the founder of one religion expressed praise for another religion. But then, here too there will be questions….
The reason I believe such things matter is that a Christian would as a normal human being would pay greater heed to what another Christian says. A Muslim of a Muslim, a Buddhist of a Buddhist, and so on. So my intent and motive simply is to open however small a door and using this is a catalyst if it happens to work among different faiths.

I agree with you about the "founders" saying this about the other faiths but that is water under the bridge. One can solicit after the fact quotes but they were perhaps under no urgency, their choice, to do so at their own times. In SGGS there is partial reference to Islam, Hinduism and may be a bit Buddhism. It has been referenced in other threads.

This is where the problem is.
I don’t see anything useful coming from this idea. Will you not end up agreeing with any praise and disagreeing with the criticisms? Have you not made up your mind what the correct understanding is? Besides, I see this as similar to the idea of interfaith dialogue, which I consider to be nothing more than an attempt to solve the problem of ignorance and hatred by encouraging instead, ignorance and attachment. And attachment in my view is a greater problem than hatred.
Brother this thread is not about me. My only purpose was to encourage interfaith communication. Through the quotes and some research I am learning of others of course. I do not necessarily call my learning of other faiths as latching on to "ignorance and attachment". Then again I may be wrong.
What I therefore was suggesting, was for all, be he a Christian, Sikh, Muslim or Buddhist, to question ..... and thereby come to realize that in the end, there are just the basic experiences through the five senses and the mind to be known. And this is common to all and is where we are all the same.
Confused ji I don't have disagreement with your thoughts above. I however do believe that little things can be a catalyst (little affecting much without being impacted) for further study, information, knowledge and understanding. Would this work for all or does it even work with any! Hard for me to say though harder for me to ignore as the effort is limited while benefit could be huge to someone, even if it is of benefit to one to so learn further.

Regards.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
UNAUTHENTICATED QUOTES ABOUT BUDDHISM[/FONT]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/FONT]

(Mahatma Gandhi)[/FONT]
Killing the criminal will do no good because it is not a body that committed the crimes. The ignorance mind is the real killer, so if you want to kill the criminal then you will have to kill the criminal minds not the body. So preach or teach the Buddha Dhamma to kill the criminal minds.
(Albert Einstein)
The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend a personal God and avoid dogmas and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description.
(John Walters, "Mind Unshaken")[/FONT]
Its idea of sin differs somewhat from the Christian idea. Sin to the Buddhist is mere ignorance or stupidity. The wicked man is an ignorant man. He doesn’t need much punishment and condemnation so much as he needs instruction. He is not regarded as violating God’s commands or as one who must beg for divine mercy and forgiveness. Rather it is necessary for the sinner’s friends to make him reason in the human way. The Buddhist does not believe the sinner can escape the consequences in prayerful attempts to bargain with God.
( Prof. Eliot, "Buddhism and Hinduism")[/FONT]
For the first time in the history of the world, Buddha proclaimed a salvation, which each man could gain for himself and by himself in this world during this life, without the least help from the personal GOD or Gods.He strongly inculcated the doctrine of self reliance, of purity, of courtesy, of enlightment, of peace and of universal love. He strongly urged necessity of knowledge, for without wisdom psychic insight could not be got in his life.

[/FONT]

The following not specific to Buddhism from what I can tell.[/FONT]
Be careful of your thoughts,for your thoughts become your words. Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions. Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits. Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character. Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
Regards.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM