• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Philosophy Vs Religion. What Are Your Insights?

Ajuni

(previously sikhipyar)
SPNer
Aug 22, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Sat Sri Akal to all!

I would like to gain some insight towards the following topic, please and thank you.

To my understanding Sikhi is not a religion, it is a philosphy - a philosphy of denouncing religions and understanding that god is one and god is within. simply to praise god and constantly remember the guru within at all times in order to bring inner peace and wisdom. I think people get mixed up in the fact that it is not a religion, but hinduism is also not a religion, it is a philosphy that over many years has become skewed and over ritualised bringing itself to become what could then be called a religion?

But what is religion? and what is philosphy? what is the difference or similarity between these two words. Is religion the word we as society have coined to describe an order of routine that philosphy has adapted?

Thank you graciously kudihug

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Re: Philosphy Versus Religion - your insights please

Sikhism is philosophy as well a religion.A Religion prescribe does and don'ts and Sikhism does that

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Re: Philosphy Versus Religion - your insights please

um, maybe both... a religion in that there is a prescribed method, lifestyle to follow to best attain the goal. ie. daily prayers. actions to aid following the philosophy that its centered around truth, love and freedom.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pyar ji

Guru Nanak never denounced other religions.

To my understanding Sikhi is not a religion, it is a philosphy - a philosphy of denouncing religions

Guru Gobind Singh, with great insight, in Zafaranama, never denounced Islam, but held his tormentor to a higher standard as a "man of faith" than Aurangzeb demonstrated in his own behavior.

The SRM requires us to "respect" other religions, even as we are critical and perhaps denounce practices of those religions that trouble us (e.g., feeding idols and bathing them, or stoning harlots).

Part of the philosophy is to find the Creator in those who are different, not Sikhs, and find the Creator even in our enemies, even as we are critical of "behavior" and "practice." In other words, denounce the behavior [sin] , not the 'sinner'.

A moral inventory of our own behavior is so important. Does it lead us to the Guru or does it stand in our way on that journey?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: