• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Paurees Suggest A Rather Abrahamic God-figure

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Lucky ji..
I know many sikhs who fear their wives..

Could it be that they are only married for the 'married couples tax allowance' ??

But i'm sure that there are just as many unmarried sikh men that fear their mothers !!
Then, after marriage they start fearing their wives, hence the traditional troubles between 'nauh and sass' or mother in law and daughter in law !!
A personality clash of providing the fear factor arises between them.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Tuks in question: ਪਾਪੀਆ ਨੋ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਥਿਰੁ ਰਹਣਿ ਚੁਣਿ ਨਰਕ ਘੋਰਿ ਚਾਲਿਅਨੁ ॥ Pāpī▫ā no na ḏe▫ī thir rahaṇ cẖuṇ narak gẖor cẖāli▫an. He does not give the sinners any stability or place of rest; He consigns them to the depths of hell.
and, ਪਾਪੀਆ ਨੋ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਥਿਰੁ ਰਹਣਿ ਚੁਣਿ ਨਰਕ ਘੋਰਿ ਚਾਲਿਅਨੁ ॥ Pāpī▫ā no na ḏe▫ī thir rahaṇ cẖuṇ narak gẖor cẖāli▫an. To the sinners He allows not stability. Picking them up, He consigns them to the terrible hell.

Okay, for another twist, does the original Punjabi actually state that 'He' is the doer in these tuks? Does it say 'He does not give the sinners any stability or place of rest' or does it say 'The sinners get no stability or place of rest'?

Perhaps that's where I'm getting stuck. I understand the whole Narak = distance from Guru, sinners getting no rest due to reaping what they sow ideas, but the tuks as they have been translated suggest 'God' is responsible for the results of our actions. That's what makes the tuks sound more Abrahamic I think.

Thanks

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ISHNA JI..
the STABILITY that a Guriksh wants comes form the MANN being at PEACE..and this comes form Being CONTENT...contentment..SANTOKH..MANN JEETEH...JAAG JEET...once the Mann is under control..the WORLD is at your feet...SABAR>>>>SANTOKH...
the living hell we all go through is the result of our OWN DOING..when we refuse to submit to HUKM..His will..and let our MANN do the dancing...i want THAT Girl..I want that BMW..I want that MILLION..I want that LAND..I want that BOAT...and when we DONT GET what we WANT..its HELL...or when we do get it..its "heaven" for a while until we LOSE IT..then its worse than HELL...we go through HELL when we see the neighbour getting that job we wanted..the neighbors son passing with flying colours and ours failing....the neighbour striking the lottery...gives us more PAIN in the *** than even being declared Bankrupt...

These are GHOR narak..the hells that apply in Gurmatt context...not the Abarahamic ones that Satan is President of.. Gurmatts Hells is suffered by the LIVING BODY..not the soul...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Very Good point and explanation Gyanji !

There is no hell that exists down below, it is all here and can be created at one's own will.
In the same way we can all become the 'Devil' at our own will or become 'Angels' if we try.
There are no devils or angels, we humans ourselves become these figures when we desire.

All parents are the guardian angels for their little kids and the ones that put the money under the pillow from the tooth fairy !

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Exactly my point Lucky ji...
i just watched a DEVIL of a policeman assaulting a lady whos carrying a young toddler on her hips..some rich woman accused her of stealing her Rs100...and thats it..everybody is judje jury and executioner..the police arrive and when the lady says she is too poor to have evn seen a RS 100 note and shows her tightly closed money knot at end of her saree which contains a few Rs 1 notes and some coins..thepoliceman asks her IF she ahs ever seen HIS MEMBER..and how would she like it shoved right inside of her right there on the road...and then slaps her left and right..shouting further obsenities..now IF thats NOT a DEVIL in human form..then i dont know the horned devil who floats about in hell ??

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have to admit that I was not sure how to understand either the word "nakar" or the word "hell" in the translation. With just a little research, it came clear to me that the "hell" of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and even the ancient Persian religions, is not the "hell" mentioned in the tuk. It is true that "nakar" means hell, literally. However, "nakar" describes ideas of hell true in ancient India's cultures surrounding the bhagat movement and ultimately Guru Nanak. Nakar is not a place of torment after death. "Nakar" or "nakara" in Sanskrit is exactly how Gyani ji and Luckysingh ji describe it. In the here and now we attach ourselves to the torments of nakara through our passions, desire to get even, to shame others, to control others and amass power, all the while enshrining frenzy within ourselves. We fear that we ourselves will shamed, controlled, humiliated, impoverished. And that was the hell of Guru Nanak's time when ordinary people were fixated on causing suffering to others, perhaps to make up for their own suffering at the hands of the unscrupulous and the powerful. It is still true today. Thanks Ishna ji for asking the question; otherwise I would have just glossed over what Guru Nanak meant. (We know there is no hell in Sikhi.) When we connect with our lesser nature, we find ourselves in "nakar," a world of inescapable torment.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Beautifully said Spndamin Ji...couldnt have put it better myself.

You know in one shabad Guru Arjun ji describes How His Beloved came to him in his sleep..and it was such a pleasure that he wouldnt like to WAKE UP since it meant his beloved would go away...Then in the following tuks Guru Arjun Ji describes how sometimes his beloved comes in his wkaing hours..then Guru Ji wouldnt like to go to sleep since that would eman his beloved being separated form him...many people used to cite this shabad as CONTRADICTORY..that in one sentence Guru ji wnats to SLEEP and never wake up..and in the next he wants to stay awake and never sleep...BUT what they failed to see that it wasnt the Sleeping state or the waking state..it was the BELOVED Meeting Guru Ji that is the desire..and its CONSISTENT desire whether alive/dead/sleeping/awake whatever...These are Gurmatts concepts..and they are UNIQUE to Gurmatt ONLY..None other religions have them..in quite the same manner as Gurmatt.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Hmm, both translations at SriGranth give that impression. :S I give up with English translations then. There is nothing to be learned. Classical Punjabi it is then.

Ishan Ji,

only God exists, so He would be the the one who administers the punishment and the one who is taking the punishment :)

Gurbani explains Naam as existing within all things, supporting all things. This Naam, shabad, vibration whatever you want to call it is everything.

In quantum physics they talk about the unified field...as we go deeper into matter, matter becomes non-matter and is seen as a wave function instead and is not the snooker bslls type matter/particles we were taught at school. Waves functions are the same as what thoughts are made up of, an intelligence..which exists as the root/core of all things. this common field is the intelligence which drives our whole existance. Our surface consciousness is only a small part of out complete being/ waves on the ocean...the totality of our consciousness includes this naam.

Our Ego had blocked us off from knowing our whole totality.
Simran allows us to connect back to our totality where we will understand we are all just One....one God.

I came across this short film which includes some powerful insights from a quantum physicist. When i watched the video, all i could think about is the hundreds of descriptions of naam/shabad/anhad shabad/ mentioned in gurbani :)

It's Time To Wake Up - We Are All One - YouTube

Me, you, all the people on this forum, we're all One consciousness...theres only 1 consciousness at play here (God). Our Surface conciousness (ego) gives us our individuality...transcend that layer (ego) and we dip into our totality...

and when we emerge with our new found knowlege and experiece..who is there to hate, be angery with, fight with, compete with? when we are all one :) and then we have peace...

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I may be wrong...

only God exists, so He would be the the one who administers the punishment and the one who is taking the punishment
Gurbani explains Naam as existing within all things, supporting all things. This Naam, shabad, vibration whatever you want to call it is everything.

We get punishment due to our own actions, in a way we are punishing our mind and body. God has given us the Free Will in that. God is not punishing us. E.g. we will go fat if we have too many chocolates. And it is true God has given us Naam, and according to Gurbani, any action without Naam brings us suffering.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I may be wrong...

We get punishment due to our own actions, in a way we are punishing our mind and body. God has given us the Free Will in that. God is not punishing us. E.g. we will go fat if we have too many chocolates. And it is true God has given us Naam, and according to Gurbani, any action without Naam brings us suffering.

Yes, we will go fat if we eat too much chocolate...but where does the impulse come from? it comes from our state of mind...what our subconscious contains...the computer within us that has been gathering data all our lives...it send countless thoughts into our head, and we act upon some of them. How much free will do we really have then?

in my opinion and experience...we can only have true free will if we overcome our mind and vices....through simran and seva. until then we are grabbed by the hair and dragged in many directions due to the filth collected in our minds.

i used to drink a lot of alcohol...so many times i said "this is my last drink" from tomorow i will make an extra effort to not drink"...but then the following day i fall pray to my thoughts that "want to have a drink" even though i knew i shouldnt :) how much free will was that?
We will continue to make the same mistakes over and over until the shabad within us cleans our subconsious mind of these habits and thoughts.

our only Sin is that we dont make effort to combat the vices through Amrit vela Simran and Seva...again our minds will make excuses for us (just like it does to me).

If we make this effort, we'll experience a freedom like no other...a true 100% free will. i'm sure of it.

God Bless.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I may be wrong...

Thanks again everyone for all your efforts and perseverence with my perseverating brain.

Kanwaljit ji, the translation of the tuks I posted earlier say God punishes the sinners. Does the original Punjabi say that too? If so, how can you say God doesn't punish us?

That's pretty much the crux of the issue for me.

Thanks

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The real point for me is that God doesn't punish me !!
You see, I am such a low life that his sinned so much and got away with it, that somehow I slipped through the God-punishment net !
I deserve a lot of punishment from God for all my wrongs, but I have had it too easy.
I wish I could just be punished as I go along instead of feeling it in one blow sometime later!

Oh Lord, please amend my wrongs with the appropriate punishment so that I can continue with a clearer conscience towards being a gurmukh !

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Ishna ji for starting a thought provoking thread. Many a great contributions by so many. If I may share some of my understanding the way I see it.

Ishna ji the Punjabi interpretation is generally verbatim translated into English by Dr. Sant Singh ji Khalsa based on Manmohan Singh ji's work. Great and very commendable effort indeed by Dr. Khalsa.

In general in trying to understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and specific Gurbani segments I keep the following in focus always,

• There forever will be a different understanding of each word, pangti/line or stanza in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as understood by anyone to their own level of experience and personal intellect.
    • Sometimes the best understanding probably is gotten by those who appear to be addressed the most by Guru ji in the writing.
    • Each word is addressed with some vision of a belief or people so believing in Guru ji’s mind.
IMPACT: If you already are in general agreement with what Guru ji states then it really was not addressed to you in particular. Over time one may change and in divergence or convergence with Guru ji start to get better understanding so even one’s own understanding would change over time.
  • Guru ji have enormously used metaphorics, talked or referred to beliefs held by people, and the like. Guru ji use this teaching technique to illustrate, to provide a landscape for learning. You can see a single rose on a plant in a garden, or you can see the plant and the rose as part of the garden and so on. The mosaic at times is what Guru ji elude to versus the weeds and roses. So at times in literal translations and near so one gets caught in the weeds versus learning or in other ways, “not seeing the forest from the trees”.
    • I find it fundamental in understanding any paurees/segments or shabads that one try to elicit the essence for one self of the composition segment as a whole.
IMPACT: From what I have come across, Prof. Sahib Singh ji is the only one who has taken or exercised this style even though structurally he does not do so in highlighting this element or writing it separately for each shabad. But within his vyakhia/discoursing he pays much attention to key messaging of all shabads.
Ishna ji unfortunately without using Punjabi it will be quite difficult to mine this brilliance of his and a great gift to Sikhism that he has provided.
  • I also find it a great help that you pose in your mind sitting in front of the Guru ji’s as they carry out a discourse or vyakhia of the poetic composition you are trying to understand. Act dumb and ask Guru ji questions in make belief without preconception. I find it a wonderful way to connect with any part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that I try to understand.
IMPACT: If you have experienced great teachers in your education and otherwise, you will find it easy to relate to. True teachers excite and let you develop the understanding based on the teaching. So it becomes dangerous when instead of taking Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as a great teacher we start treating it as a simple text book of facts and figures.
The real impact is developing the understanding thereof and not memorizing the lines and dissecting these for literal meanings.

I will attempt to take some of the translations eluded to by Ishna ji at the beginning of this thread and provide or share my understanding based on above approach in the near future.

Sat Sri Akal. mundahugkudihugkaurhug

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Here for comparison my understanding in part of what Ishna ji eluded to at thread start which is,
SHALOK, SECOND MEHL: Chop off that head which does not bow to the Lord. O Nanak, that human body, in which there is no pain of separation from the Lord—take that body and burn it. || 1 || FIFTH MEHL: Forgetting the Primal Lord, O Nanak, people are born and die, over and over again. Mistaking it for musk, they have fallen into the stinking pit of filth. || 2 || PAUREE: Meditate on that Name of the Lord, O my mind, whose Command rules over all. Chant that Name of the Lord, O my mind, which will save you at the very last moment. Chant that Name of the Lord, O my mind, which shall drive out all hunger and desire from your mind. Very fortunate and blessed is that Gurmukh who chants the Naam; it shall bring all slanderers and wicked enemies to fall at his feet. O Nanak, worship and adore the Naam, the Greatest Name of all, before which all come and bow. || 15 ||
The above per Dr. Sant Singh ji Khalsa and the following my understanding of the Gurbani based on a review personally and taking cue from Prof. Sahib Singh ji,
ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ
सलोक मः २ ॥
Salok mėhlā 2.
Shalok, Second Mehl:
ਸਲੋਕ, ਦੂਜੀ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
xxx
xxx

ਜੋ ਸਿਰੁ ਸਾਂਈ ਨਾ ਨਿਵੈ ਸੋ ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਡਾਰਿ
जो सिरु सांई ना निवै सो सिरु दीजै डारि ॥
Jo sir sāʼn▫ī nā nivai so sir ḏījai dār.
Chop off that head which does not bow to the Lord.
ਕੱਟ ਦਿਓ ਉਸ ਸੀਸ ਨੂੰ ਜਿਹੜਾ ਸੀਸ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੂਹਰੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਝੁਕਦਾ।
ਡਾਰਿ ਦੀਜੈ = ਸੁੱਟ ਦੇਈਏ।
ਜੋ ਸਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਯਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਨਾਹ ਝੁਕੇ, ਉਹ ਤਿਆਗ ਦੇਣ-ਜੋਗ ਹੈ (ਭਾਵ, ਉਸ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਣ ਨਹੀਂ)।
A head that does not possess recognition of the creator is as worth as discarded.
ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸੁ ਪਿੰਜਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਨਹੀ ਸੋ ਪਿੰਜਰੁ ਲੈ ਜਾਰਿ ੧॥
नानक जिसु पिंजर महि बिरहा नही सो पिंजरु लै जारि ॥१॥
Nānak jis pinjar mėh birhā nahī so pinjar lai jār. ||1||
O Nanak, that human body, in which there is no pain of separation from the Lord-take that body and burn it. ||1||
ਨਾਨਕ, ਉਸ ਮਨੁੱਖੀ ਢਾਚੇ ਨੂੰ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਸਾੜ ਸੁੱਟ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਮਨੁੱਖੀ ਢਾਂਚੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਲ ਵਿਛੋੜੇ ਦੀ ਪੀੜ ਨਹੀਂ।
ਬਿਰਥਾ = ਪਿਆਰ ਦੀ ਖਿੱਚ ॥੧॥
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਿਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਿਆਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਉਹ ਸਰੀਰ ਸਾੜ ਦਿਓ (ਭਾਵ, ਉਹ ਭੀ ਵਿਅਰਥ ਹੈ) ॥੧॥
A body that does not possess love so be worth discarding.
ESSENCE: Guru Angad Dev ji state that the recognition of the creator by body and mind is essential as there being nothing of worth without it.

Next part,
ਮਃ
मः ५ ॥

Mėhlā 5.
Fifth Mehl:
ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
xxx
xxx

ਮੁੰਢਹੁ ਭੁਲੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਮੁਈਆਸੁ
मुंढहु भुली नानका फिरि फिरि जनमि मुईआसु ॥
Mundẖhu bẖulī nānkā fir fir janam mu▫ī▫ās.
Forgetting the Primal Lord, O Nanak, people are born and die, over and over again.
ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਭੁਲਾ ਕੇ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਜੀਵ ਰੂਪ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ) ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ ਕੇ ਜੰਮਦੀ ਤੇ ਮਰਦੀ ਹੈ।
ਮੁੰਢਹ = ਮੂਲ ਤੋਂ।
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਿਸ (ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ) ਨੇ (ਸਭ ਦੇ) ਮੂਲ (ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰ) ਨੂੰ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ ਜੰਮਦੀ ਮਰਦੀ ਹੈ,
Lost fronm the start one so dying and being born again and again.
ਕਸਤੂਰੀ ਕੈ ਭੋਲੜੈ ਗੰਦੇ ਡੁੰਮਿ ਪਈਆਸੁ ੨॥
कसतूरी कै भोलड़ै गंदे डुमि पईआसु ॥२॥
Kasṯūrī kai bẖolṛai gunḏe dumm pa▫ī▫ās. ||2||
Mistaking it for musk, they have fallen into the stinking pit of filth. ||2||
ਭੁਲੇਖੇ ਨਾਲ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਨਾਂਫ਼ਾ ਜਾਣਕੇ, ਉਹ ਪਲੀਤ ਟੋਏ ਵਿੱਚ ਡਿਗ ਪਈ ਹੈ।
ਭੋਲੜੈ = ਭੁਲਾਵੇ ਵਿਚ। ਡੁੰਮਿ = ਡੂੰਘੇ ਟੋਏ ਵਿਚ ॥੨॥
(ਤੇ ਉਹ) ਕਸਤੂਰੀ (ਭਾਵ, ਉੱਤਮ ਪਦਾਰਥ) ਦੇ ਭੁਲੇਖੇ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ) ਗੰਦੇ ਟੋਏ ਵਿਚ ਪਈ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ॥੨॥
As though believing to be as musk so resting at great depth.
ESSENCE: Guruji state that the wandering in living continues as if in a mirage stuck in make believe to be something that one is not.

Next part,
ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:
ਪਊੜੀ।
xxx
xxx

ਸੋ ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਜੋ ਸਭਨਾ ਉਪਰਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਚਲਾਏ
सो ऐसा हरि नामु धिआईऐ मन मेरे जो सभना उपरि हुकमु चलाए ॥
So aisā har nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai man mere jo sabẖnā upar hukam cẖalā▫e.
Meditate on that Name of the Lord, O my mind, whose Command rules over all.
ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਤੂੰ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਉਸ ਇਹੋ ਜਿਹੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰ, ਜਿਹੜਾ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਉਤੇ ਰਾਜ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।
xxx
ਹੇਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਹੁਕਮ ਚਲਾਉਂਦਾ (ਭਾਵ, ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਅੱਗੇਸਭ ਜੀਵ ਜੰਤ ਨਿਊਂਦੇ ਹਨ) ਉਸ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ।
So my mind dwell as such on creator wisdom that provides dictum over all.
ਸੋ ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਜੋ ਅੰਤੀ ਅਉਸਰਿ ਲਏ ਛਡਾਏ
सो ऐसा हरि नामु जपीऐ मन मेरे जो अंती अउसरि लए छडाए ॥
So aisā har nām japī▫ai man mere jo anṯī a▫osar la▫e cẖẖadā▫e.
Chant that Name of the Lord, O my mind, which will save you at the very last moment.
ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਤੂੰ ਹਰੀ ਦੇ ਉਸ ਇਹੋ ਜਿਹੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਕਰ, ਜਿਹੜਾ ਅਖ਼ੀਰ ਦੇ ਵੇਲੇ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਬੰਦ ਖ਼ਲਾਸ ਕਰਾਵੇਗੀਂ।
ਅੰਤੀ ਅਉਸਰਿ = ਅਖ਼ੀਰਲੇ ਮੌਕੇ ਤੇ।
ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਜੋ ਅੰਤ ਸਮੇਂ (ਮੌਤ ਦੇ ਡਰ ਤੋਂ) ਛੁਡਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਹਰੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ।
So my mind seek of such creator wisdom that final release is secured.
ਸੋ ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਜੁ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਸਭ ਭੁਖ ਗਵਾਏ
सो ऐसा हरि नामु जपीऐ मन मेरे जु मन की त्रिसना सभ भुख गवाए ॥
So aisā har nām japī▫ai man mere jo man kī ṯarisnā sabẖ bẖukẖ gavā▫e.
Chant that Name of the Lord, O my mind, which shall drive out all hunger and desire from your mind.
ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੇ ਤੂੰ ਹਰੀ ਦੇ ਉਸ ਐਸੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਜਾਪ ਕਰ ਜਿਹੜਾ ਤੇਰੇ ਚਿੱਤ ਦੀਆਂ ਸਾਰੀਆਂ ਖ਼ਾਹਿਸ਼ਾਂ ਤੇ ਭੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਦੂਰ ਕਰ ਦੇਵੇਗਾ।
xxx
ਜੋ ਹਰੀ ਨਾਮ ਮਨ ਦੀਆਂ ਸਭ ਭੁੱਖਾਂ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ ਮਿਟਾ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਉਸ ਦਾ ਜਾਪ ਕਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ।
So my mind seek of such creator wisdom that the mind craving and hunger is quenched.
ਸੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿਆ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਤਿਨ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਦੁਸਟ ਸਭਿ ਪੈਰੀ ਪਾਏ
सो गुरमुखि नामु जपिआ वडभागी तिन निंदक दुसट सभि पैरी पाए ॥
So gurmukẖ nām japi▫ā vadbẖāgī ṯin ninḏak ḏusat sabẖ pairī pā▫e.
Very fortunate and blessed is that Gurmukh who chants the Naam; it shall bring all slanderers and wicked enemies to fall at his feet.
ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਭਾਰੇ ਨਸੀਬਾਂ ਵਾਲੇ ਜਣੇ ਨੇ ਉਸ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਚਿੰਤਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ ਜਿਹੜਾ ਸਮੂਹ ਬਦ-ਖੋਆ, ਅਤੇ ਪਾਪੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਪਗਾਂ ਤੇ ਲਿਆ ਪਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ। ਵਡਭਾਗੀ = ਵੱਡੇ ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਾਲਿਆਂ ਨੇ।
ਸਭ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਤੇ ਦੁਰਜਨ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਵਡਭਾਗੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਚਰਨੀਂ ਆ ਲੱਗਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂਨੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਪੈ ਕੇ ਇਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿਆ ਹੈ।
Great fortunate is the one guided towards the creator as all slanderers and enemies seek such in humility.
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਰਾਧਿ ਸਭਨਾ ਤੇ ਵਡਾ ਸਭਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਅਗੈ ਆਣਿ ਨਿਵਾਏ ੧੫॥
नानक नामु अराधि सभना ते वडा सभि नावै अगै आणि निवाए ॥१५॥
Nānak nām arāḏẖ sabẖnā ṯe vadā sabẖ nāvai agai āṇ nivā▫e. ||15||
O Nanak, worship and adore the Naam, the Greatest Name of all, before which all come and bow. ||15||
ਨਾਨਕ, ਤੂੰ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰਮ ਉਤਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟਤ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰ, ਜਿਸ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਮੂਹਰੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਆ ਕੇ ਘੁਟਨੇ ਟੇਕਦੇ ਹਨ।
ਆਣਿ = ਲਿਆ ਕੇ। ਸਭਿ = ਸਾਰੇ ॥੧੫॥
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰ-ਇਹ (ਸਾਧਨ) ਸਭ (ਸਾਧਨਾਂ) ਤੋਂ ਵੱਡਾ ਹੈ; ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਸਭ ਲਿਆ ਕੇ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ) ਨਿਵਾ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹਨ ॥੧੫॥
Nanak seek wisdom of the most esteemed as much lesser ones have so come and realized to bow.
ESSENCE: Guruji espouse the one creator and higher of all wisdom in knowing such. Guruji state that that such seeking and understanding of one creator is core wisdom that surpasses all else for the fortunate that so look up to it.

So my understanding from the above is that Guru ji impress upon the value to be linked in living to the wisdom of the creator. Guru ji so strongly encourage us to be focused, seeking and understanding of the wisdom of the one creator so that our living (Gurmukh/one looking up towards the creator's wisdom) is all in consonance, fruitful and worthwhile.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Happy birthday to Gyani Jarnail Singh ji. May health and happiness prevail in force with every year to come.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM