• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Painting Without A Canvas

:idea:

A false belief may be judged harmless and even pleasurable, as may be the case with the benevolent light in which most of us see our minor foibles, few would consider interfering. But clearly there are times when people are dangerously wrong, and we foolishly or unfoolishly feel the need to flex our muscles to show someone ‘truth’.

Some feel as certain that anyone who does not believe in their deity, their version of the inevitable march of history, or their views of the human psyche deceives himself (the same way an anorexic or alcoholic or a schizophrenic might). Frequently, the more improbable their own views, the stronger is their need to see the world as divided up into those who perceive the self-evident and those who persist in deluding themselves.

Aiding the victims of such imputed self-deception can be hard to resist for true believers and enthusiasts of every persuasion. If they come to believe that all who do not share their own views are not only wrong but actually know they are wrong in one part of their selves that keeps the other in the dark, they can assume that it is an act of altruism to help the victimized, deceived part see through the secrecy and the self-deception. Zealots can draw on their imputing self-deception to nonbelievers to nourish any tendency they might have to a conspiracy theory. If they see the self—their own and that of others—as a battleground for a conspiracy, they may then argue that anyone who disagrees with them thereby offers proof that his mind has been taken over by the forces they are striving to combat.

:u):

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
There is a layer of truth where there is only one truth (complete truth), and there is a layer of truth where one thing can be true for you and another thing can be true for me (incomplete truth, like pieces of a puzzle).

Incomplete truths only look contradictory when we can not see that they are pieces of the same puzzle. Incomplete truths can be dangerous if they are crammed into an incompatible place in the puzzle. That does not make those pieces any less a part of the complete puzzle.

If you can not see how Hitler meant well, and it was only that he was missing important pieces of the truth which made him dangerous, then you are just as vulnerable as his followers were.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

(Wisdom Quotes)

There is a layer of truth where there is only one truth (complete truth), and there is a layer of truth where one thing can be true for you and another thing can be true for me (incomplete truth, like pieces of a puzzle).

Incomplete truths only look contradictory when we can not see that they are pieces of the same puzzle. Incomplete truths can be dangerous if they are crammed into an incompatible place in the puzzle. That does not make those pieces any less a part of the complete puzzle.

If you can not see how Hitler meant well, and it was only that he was missing important pieces of the truth which made him dangerous, then you are just as vulnerable as his followers were.

complete truths

Spoken like a true Gnostic. :}{}{}:

I don’t, for a second, doubt the existence of complete truths, I just completely doubt your ability to know of them.

How odd… you actually tried to construct a dichotomy :rofl:

are you looking for structure where it might not exist?

We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

(Wisdom Quotes)

love it :up:

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM