• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Only 'quality' Migrants Welcome: Britain

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Only 'quality' migrants welcome: Britain

PTI | Feb 2, 2012, 06.02PM IST

LONDON: In a move bound to create ripples, Britain today announced a shift of focus in its immigration policy which now seeks to welcome only those Indian and other non-EU immigrants "who add to the quality of life" barring others with a low income potential.

Two proposals outlined in a major speech by Immigration Minister Damian Green are likely to affect Indian professionals and migrants.

The government has already announced its intention to scrap the Post-Study Work visa for non-EU students, which has been popular among Indians.

Non-EU professionals whose annual income at the end of mandatory five years work and stay in the UK is less than 31,000 pounds will need to return to their countries of origin. Only those with an income higher than this will be allowed to stay here permanently.

Secondly, British citizens and residents who seek to marry foreign spouses need to show an annual income of around 25,000 pounds before they can bring their spouses here.

The objective is to stop such foreign spouses seeking financial support from the state. The speech has already come under fire for allegedly focussing on "wealthy immigrants", and preventing young Britons with origins in the Indian sub-continent with limited income from marrying spouses from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other countries.

In the speech at Police Exchange think-tank, Green said he wanted to build a "national consensus" around immigration, adding: "Importing economic dependency on the state is unacceptable.

"Bringing people to this country who can play no role in the life of this country is equally unacceptable".

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ants-welcome-Britain/articleshow/11728086.cms

Attachments

• uk-migrants.jpg
    uk-migrants.jpg
    37.2 KB · Reads: 233
Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The REALITY is that NO LAW whatever can STOP the PUNJABIS from entering Britain..canada..USA..whatever !! The PUNJABI will ENTER...even if he/she has to go through the " Great Wall of China" !! LOL. I just received a Call from Los Angeles that the son of a friend in Punjab made...he is a failed std 2 student who just knows Hello in English...he entered the USA via Honduras...venezuela..mexico...after a journey half way around the world..after having successfully entered Europe via Russia...caught/jailed/deported..second attempt successfully entered Germany vai france..italy..via AFRICA...again caught/jailed/deported..third successful attempt entered Britain via Netherlands...caught/deported...NOW in USA !! BEAT THAT !! Total cost 50 LAKH so far...and for the life of me ( Mainu samajh nahin aundee ??) why the Heck, I a Malaysian citizen with no Visa requirements to enter Britain and other countries, or effortless USA Visa of 10 years etc..just WONT agree to leave malaysia and go "west"??? I am his TAYA..and he thinks IF He were in MY SHOES..he would have been in UK since his "birth"...ha ha I must be stark raving MAD to him....

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
First, selecting immigrants solely on their earnings is short-sighted and will be counter-productive in the end. Not permitting an individual to bring her/his spouse is inhumane and more worthy of the Indian government than of the British.

It's true. Punjabis pretty much go where they want. Same is true even of descendents of Punjabis. My husband , my son and I - Canadians all, although descendents in part of Punjabis - went to India in May 1984 when Punjab was effectively sealed off and out-of-bounds to foreigners. We entered Punjab as visible Sikhs and stayed for a time. The Amritsar police actually held us and then let us go because we were Canadians. We left Punjab in late June 1984 after the Bluestar Massacre again as visible Sikhs, the borders still sealed, of course. There was some subterfuge involved both coming and going that I will not reveal here because someone will no doubt need to use the same method in the future some time. The point is, the Indian government had no control over our comings and goings.

Gyani Jarnail Singh ji is absolutely right! I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but we tend to have the stubbornness of a cat and the tenacity of a terrier. Add to that the courage of a lion and we're hard to control.

:swordfight-kudiyan: swordfight :angryyoungkaur: :singhsippingcoffee:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The current state of goverment affairs in every country have their issues under question.
Above posts are absolutely correct, the punjabies will never give up.

I'm not sure to what extent immigration problems are in UK at this stage, as I left there a few years ago. But there were problems getting heavy then with Albanians,Somalians,Syrians,Turks,Polish,Pakistanis... list is endless.
There were major problems with asylum seekers,refugees.... that were nearly all on state benefits.
Now, goverment wants only people that benefit UK, not the ones coming for benefit.

Most punjabis do come through the long legal immigration route compared to other races. Well, there are still alot that would be entering illegally via Soviet, France,Belgium,Italy etc. BUT, even they normally have private (non taxpaying) jobs set up before hand.
The numbers of punjabis that are a burden on the benefit system is alot lower compared to other races, we all know punjabis are a little more keen to work and earn.

However it seems that the ones entering through the normal immigration route which excludes asylum seeker etc will be the ones hit with these new regulations.

The problem is still not going to be resolved, just like anything else they ever do.
Seems more like the easy targets are always attacked and the others get a blind eye.

Luckysingh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM