• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

One Drink Too Many? A Discussion Of Alcohol And Sikhi

Jul 14, 2011
As a twenty year old college student, I have witnessed all kinds of drinking habits. The problem with alcohol is acknowledging your limitations. Most college students drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk. Others drink to fit in. These students often become so intoxicated that they perform unwise actions. Some are so held by the drink that it becomes a major deterrent from school work, and leads to dropping out of college. I have seen close friends fall into this trap. I have on the other hand, met college students who drink for the "'drinks sake." These students are more akin to cheese connoisseurs, and drink very little, very infrequently, and only for flavors. I think that removing all alcoholic beverages is important for most people, who are easily led to intoxication. In small amounts alcohol has as little of an effect as the caffeine in a soda has. Perhaps it is OK for someone to drink in small amounts, if the have the fortitude to drink very little.

I drank occasionally over the last two years, usually with 2-4 month breaks between a single drink. I haven't drank in about six months and don't really have a need for it in the future. I can see myself living without alcohol as I come closer to taking Amrit, but I hope my experiences in modern college culture prove insightful for all! :singhbhangra:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Having read back a few pages, and absorbed all arguments, it is clear that everyone has a valid point.

Should we as sikhs drink? well, no, according to the SGGS, we should not.
Is there anything wrong with a sikh drinking? now that is the million dollar question, in the eyes of the guru, yes, but the guru gave us free will, although in the past I have put drinking on a par with lust/anger, I think it is more related to body piercing in terms of deviation from Gurmukh, I think the answer is between us as individuals and the guru.

Should we play down the huge culture of drinking in sikhism and try and educate our young to stay away from it, possibly, but that would make some of us hypocrites. we could all agree publicly that drinking is a bad thing, for the sake of the kids, and carry on in private.

I would be most interested to know if the SGGS makes any comment about the addictive natures of alcohol, or is it just the intoxicating effects. I am aware that SGGS mentions addictions, but I am talking about alcohol addiction in particular, as it is the addiction that seems to be the biggest concern among our community.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Having read back a few pages, and absorbed all arguments, it is clear that everyone has a valid point.

Should we as sikhs drink? well, no, according to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, we should not.
Is there anything wrong with a sikh drinking? now that is the million dollar question, in the eyes of the guru, yes, but the guru gave us free will, although in the past I have put drinking on a par with lust/anger, I think it is more related to body piercing in terms of deviation from Gurmukh, I think the answer is between us as individuals and the guru.

Should we play down the huge culture of drinking in sikhism and try and educate our young to stay away from it, possibly, but that would make some of us hypocrites. we could all agree publicly that drinking is a bad thing, for the sake of the kids, and carry on in private.

I would be most interested to know if the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji makes any comment about the addictive natures of alcohol, or is it just the intoxicating effects. I am aware that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji mentions addictions, but I am talking about alcohol addiction in particular, as it is the addiction that seems to be the biggest concern among our community.
Harry Haller ji I did search for Alcohol but there are lot of symbolic references to effects of wine or to drink the nectar of understanding rather than be imbued by wine.

So put the word wine in the following and search,

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Search&Param=english

There is generic reference to addiction my belief is it has lot more to do with opium.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1180&english=t&id=50854#l50854

It is only in SRM as "violation of a rehat" in reference to addiction.

I was shocked that for a document like SRM there is reference to "Cocaine" addiction! Still as "rehat violations" and not "Kurehaets".

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe what we should be debating are the people that encourage others to drink by the copious amounts of alcohol on display at most sikh weddings. That is what we are known for, above anything, 'boy can you guys drink'. But isnt it strange that where you have a wedding with no drink, its not just the drink that is absent, its also the huge luxury cars, the ostentatious dress, the need to have everyone saying balleh balleh, the langar is simpler but much more tasty, and everyone realises that they are there for a ceremony to celebrate something, as opposed to a non ending pea{censored} parade.

I think we should focus on the image of drinkers that sikhs have ,before we start pointing the finger at those whose energies would be best spent finding the creator, rather than trying to control a social pleasure that does not terminate in intoxication.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: