• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Olympics 2012: FIFA Bans Headscarves For Iranian Women's Soccer Team

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Olympics 2012: FIFA bans headscarves for Iranian women’s soccer team

By Thomas Erdbrink, Published: June 6

TEHRAN — Not participating in the 2012 London Olympics is a nightmare for every serious athlete, but for the Iranian women’s soccer team the defeat was extra bitter after they were disqualified right before a crucial qualifying match because they wore Islamic headscarves.

Ready to play a crucial Olympic qualifying match with Jordan in Amman on Friday, the Iranian team was dismissed by officials of the international football association, FIFA. The officials decided just before the kickoff that the tight headscarves the Iranian players were wearing to cover their hair broke the association’s dress code, FIFA said on Monday

After Jordan was awarded a 3-0 victory, Iran’s players took to the field crying, Press TV, Iranian state TV’s English-language outlet, reported.

In the Islamic Republic of Iran all women are obliged to cover their hair, neck, arms and legs according to the state’s interpretation of Shiite Islamic tenets. Female athletes who compete internationally have to obey the country’s dress code. Iranian women athletes have excelled during international events in sports such as karate and volleyball, but are notably absent from sports such as swimming and gymnastics.

“This ruling means that women soccer in Iran is over,” said Shahrzad Mozafar, the team’s former head coach. She said that now that FIFA is no longer allowing Iranian women to wear scarves, the Iranian government will no longer send them abroad for competitions. “Headscarves are simply what we wear in Iran,” she said.

In April 2010 FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious outings during the 2012 Olympics. Following the ruling, Iran’s team designed special headscarves that players wrapped tightly around their heads and necks. The team said they were in line with guidelines set by the football association.

FIFA did not agree and told the Associated Press on Monday that its officials had been right to stop the Iranian women from playing the qualifier. Iranian officials were “informed thoroughly” before Friday's match against Jordan that the headscarf covering a woman’s neck is banned for safety reasons, an unidentified FIFA official said.

The Iranian football organization, which is lead by allies of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is planning to protest the ruling.

Mozafar said the ruling killed professional athletic ambitions of Iranian women.

“When a serious women athlete can’t participate internationally, which ambitions are left for her?” she said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...en-soccer-team/2011/06/06/AGzT1JKH_story.html

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Though there are no patka wearing Sikh footballers ,I guess this will also be applicable on Sikh boys, so no football for keshdhari sikhs from now

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
If FIFA bans all religious symbols which include Patka's then all state ,dirtrict,club level teams will also impose that rule,it means SIKH will not be allowed to play.As soccer is the most popular game in world this will have terrible impact on Psuche of Sikh boys

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Yes Kds ji.

I fail to see how a headscarf or patka comes under:
A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery). - FIFA Laws of the Game, Law 4: The players' equipment.
... as a comment to the linked news, suggests.

There seems to be no other reasoning.

PS I am sure our people will fight for it or simply find another passion.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Bhagat Singh ji and kds1980 ji I am thinking out of the box on this.

Example: What will be the consequences of a white player in a foul, innocently or otherwise ripping such a dress from an Iranian player (or a Muslim player), a Sikh player or a Christian player?

• I am pretty sure that there will be a fatwah against this (any player that caused flesh exposure of a female muslim player whether intentional or innocent) at least from the Islamic so called scholars/maulvi's?
    • Iran maybe Shia and more tolerant than Sunis but it is also a very exploited society and even more so for females
    • Death sentence by stoning of the so called adultress wife being in the news over recent past
  • Sikhs will take it in a stride
  • Others don't care as it will be part of the gameCould this be a thought crossing the committee's or other officials mind!
Just some thoughts.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Bhagat Singh ji and kds1980 ji I am thinking out of the box on this.

Example: What will be the consequences of a white player in a foul, innocently or otherwise ripping such a dress from an Iranian player (or a Muslim player), a Sikh player or a Christian player?

I am pretty sure that there will be a fatwah against this at least from the Islamic so called scholars/maulvi's?
Sikhs are too busy fighting with each other so this will be nothing
Just a flippant comment but Sikhs will take it in a stride

Others don't care as it will be part of the game
Could this be a thought crossing the committee's or other officials mind

These are weird imaginations ,no muslim organisation issue Fatwa for a football match ,if that is reason then most of business organisations should stop giving jobs to muslim women as there may be a case of non muslim man sexually harrasing muslim women and fatwa may be issued against them

S: kds1980 ji you are a young man, please don't be so over-dramatic in your characterization as if this continues you will be like what when you are 60

What the hell is this.Sikh boxers even in India are already banned because IBF wants all nation to follow their rules O/W they will bar the boxers from country now FIFA is doing the same,I am only saying if this rule is strictly imposed in football game then Patka wearing Sikh boys will have a lot of trouble.I don't understand where I am over dramatic?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I think that's terribly sad for the Iranian women. I think it's also absolutely amazing that Iran even HAS a women's football team!!! Yay for them cheerleader

It's horrible what FIFA has done against these Muslim women. :angryyoungkaur:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
These are weird imaginations ,no muslim organisation issue Fatwa for a football match ,if that is reason then most of business organisations should stop giving jobs to muslim women as there may be a case of non muslim man sexually harrasing muslim women and fatwa may be issued against them

What the hell is this.Sikh boxers even in India are already banned because IBF wants all nation to follow their rules O/W they will bar the boxers from country now FIFA is doing the same,I am only saying if this rule is strictly imposed in football game then Patka wearing Sikh boys will have a lot of trouble.I don't understand where I am over dramatic?
Sorry kds1980 ji Iwas not being flippant about Muslim clergy mentality. They appear to be always looking for scenarios to manage their followers. Sometimes little things can launch a thousand ships. My comment was actions after incidents and not the sport or participation in the sport itself. We all are too familiar with indiscretions and so called "honor killings" (callous murders is what I will call these) for being fashionable, westernized, etc. Islam is a very unique experience in such areas and weird things can and do happen.

In terms of over-dramatization, I don't think that Boxing is such a so called sport if you have seen later lives of boxers once they retire from life of multiple minor and major concussions. Many a vegetative states have developed from such injuries.

I have edited my post to remove any implied personal comment. Sorry for such an indiscretion.

Sat Sri Akal.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sorry kds1980 ji Iwas not being flippant about Muslim clergy mentality. They appear to be always looking for scenarios to manage their followers. Sometimes little things can launch a thousand ships. My comment was actions after incidents and not the sport or participation in the sport itself. We all are too familiar with indiscretions and so called "honor killings" (callous murders is what I will call these) for being fashionable, westernized, etc. Islam is a very unique experience in such areas and weird things can and do happen.

Ambarsaria ji

I agree with islam is unique but we forget that they dominated the bollywood and no Fatwa's were issued.You will be surprised to know That almost heroines 70s who gave bold scenes and shed the image of covered heroines were mostly muslim even today Katrina kaif is dominating bollywood .No Fatwas is ever issued against them,so saying that FIFA is afraid is too much.Anyway what can FIFA do if players of other countries verbally abuse islam or mohammed ,then there is much greater chance of conflict.

In terms of over-dramatization, I don't think that Boxing is such a so called sport if you have seen later lives of boxers once they retire from life of multiple minor and major concussions. Many a vegetative states have developed from such injuries.

There are 2 type of boxing Amateur and professional in amateur boxing the fight just go for 15 minutes and the winner is decided .Head guard is also allowed.In this type of boxing beards are strictly prohibited.In Olympics only amateur boxing is allowed

The professional boxing is much longer and masculine version of this game.You will be surprised to know that there are no restrictions on beard and Sikhs can do it.It is the one which is dangerous and could kill you or permanently handicap you.But I guess we Sikhs consider ourselves as macho so some sikh boys should not be afraid to join this sport

and I am sorry the way I reacted ,I am sick of personal attacks on this site despite using no abusive words

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM