• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I am a 31 year old man living in the UK, an agnostic who was brought up by my Christian mother and married to a Hindu. I have been reading the English version of the Guru Granth Sahib on the internet and it says exactly what I think. It is logical and simple while at the same beautiful and appealing. To me, it doesn't make assumptions or judgments about matters that are beyond human knowledge, does not prescribe meaningless rituals, does not preach, has a commitment to the equality of mankind and advocates simple and honest living without demanding austerity and self-abasement. It makes me feel like a valued part of the universe, rather than a pawn playing a part in the struggle of good and evil. It does not command, but advises. It does not condemn, but guides.

However, I have little contact with the Sikh community. I have lived in India, but as I stayed in Kolkata I saw fewer Sikhs than I'd see in Hounslow! I have tried contacting Sikh organisations in the UK for more information, but have had no response. Is there anyone who would like to befriend me and teach me more about Sikhi?

Xylo,

Good on you mate.....however, beware that even in Sikhism we have people who seek to make Sikhism to a form of ritualism. So when you do come into contact with Sikhism, be aware of these sorts.

riceboy89

SPNer
Jan 5, 2007
xylo, i hear there is a large sikh community in the u.k. perhaps try to befriend some sardars there? haha, ill be your friend here.

well im new here also. im a 17 y/o male form michigan. im punjabi and recently ive developed a strong interest in sikhism. ive been attending gurdwara for most of my life yet recently ive wanted to know more about sikhism, have a deeper and more developed knowledge. so ive come here for it! :)

well i look forward in contributing/learning as much as i can!

riceboy89

SPNer
Jan 5, 2007
one really cool thing that the gurdwara i go to has, is they put up a very nice projector/screen combination. as the kirtan is being done, the words are displayed. on top is the line in gurmukhi, under it is the engligh translation, and under that is the pronunciation in english. i feel it has helped me greatly in understanding than before we had it. maybe some gurdwaras around you have that kind of thing.

hope this helps

Perdip

SPNer
Jan 7, 2007
Hello and peace to all! I am British born, open minded and try to self discipline (as much as my hormones allow me to!). I came across this site by default and had to register to post a reply to bring a debate to an end as well as make my day complete. I am on a search for Truth... born in a Sikh family whose heart has been opended to accept Islam and anything else that will bring me closer to our purpose of living. I have come to a point where the only conflict I found was to do with hair... should we shave it, cut it or keep it or does it make no difference and has no effect on our journey for Truth and acceptance by God?

Perdip

SPNer
Jan 7, 2007
Hi Riceboy.

I am also curerently studying Sikhism, maybe we can help and increase each other in knowledge that will bring us closer to our Lord with this being the sole purpose of our life. Feel free to ask any questions you may have or topics you are curious about within Sikhism.

Jul 10, 2006
Hello and peace to all! I am British born, open minded and try to self discipline (as much as my hormones allow me to!). I came across this site by default and had to register to post a reply to bring a debate to an end as well as make my day complete. I am on a search for Truth... born in a Sikh family whose heart has been opended to accept Islam and anything else that will bring me closer to our purpose of living. I have come to a point where the only conflict I found was to do with hair... should we shave it, cut it or keep it or does it make no difference and has no effect on our journey for Truth and acceptance by God?

If you have accepted Islam then are you a muslim? Or a muslim pretending to be a Sikh pretending to be a muslim? :D

BTW, I am born into a Sikh family too, whilst respecting other people's believe's, however I do not accept any other religion.

As a Sikh, I only accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and the Sikhi way of life.

Anyways, welcome to SPN!!.:)

Perdip

SPNer
Jan 7, 2007
Dear Kaur Ji

One who calls themselves a Sikh/Muslim/Brahmin may simply be talking with pride and ego. My identity is with God and I wish to be nothing more than a slave to God and maybe a confused fool for you? As Dr Khalsa Ji said this site is open to all faiths and all are welcome. Reading your reply to other posts, your words for me are offputting and they may possibly deter anyone who is from another religion/faith from adopting this beautiful faithof Sikhism, delivered by the more beautiful Guru Ji's, by the command of the Most Beautiful. Follow your faith/religion and do not reject/slander any other for you may be giving God the opportunity to do the same to you. Fear God.

Jan 11, 2007
Satsariakal to all the members of this site,

I am Indian and belong to sikh family. As everyone is busy in their life , we hardly get any time to know about our people, religion.

This site is really very interesting and connect people.

I look forward to get more information from this site.

Jan 11, 2007
I am really sorry for hurting ur sentiments. Believe me, my intention was not like that. I was just introducing myself. I respect all religions and i am also aware that our Guru Granth Sahib Ji teach us that God is one and we should follow the teachings of our Guru Sahib Ji.

Thanks for guiding me.

kerrysc

SPNer
Jan 19, 2007
Priya Friends,

Warm regards from Santa Barbara, CA, USA. I am a doctoral student studying South Asian religions. I look forward to being here.

Aapka,

Kerry:thumbup:

Gregorius

SPNer
Jan 22, 2007
Thank you
For a long time I have logged my dreams. This morning was one of many cryptic ones where the word "Shalok" was given to me by a Sirian mother of a Nobel Sirian family. I have searched google with the word and lead me to here. Therefore, the simple start of what is...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: