• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

satvin

SPNer
Dec 6, 2006
Kolkata
Sat Sri Akal To All

WGJKK WGJKF

Dear All

I am from Calcutta, India working in an organization. Just trying to learn the Baani and its implementation on Life with its Various Aspects... Hope my objective of learning will be achieved here...

Warm regards

Satvin:)

----------------------------------------

Canibus

SPNer
Dec 11, 2006
Whats Going On People?.I Joined This Today.Been Reading Some Old Threads And Im Likeing It.Feels Homely As Im A Sikh Boy.17.From The U.K.Im New.Anyone Want To Talk To Me Just Private Message Me

Mutch Love

Rav

Dec 14, 2006
Waheguru Ji da Khalsa, Waheguru Ji de Fateh.

Sat Sangat,
I am 25 yr sikh male who is on his journey to understand sikhi. I haven't had much time with my busy schedule to focus on Gurmat. So I felt that discussions would be the best way to stimulate my brain and learn about sikhi.
Looking fwd to discover Guru with you all.

Dec 2, 2006
hullo frens... my name is simmy !
thumbup.gif

i am a 24 years old guy living in mohali city of punjab and currently employed with sikhpoint.com as a content developer. i am new to sikhphilosophy and expect that you all would support me here... i am looking ahead fr many healthy discussions about useful topics.

a little about me.. well... i am a singer, painter, poet, dramatist and a computer freak... and i write in punjabi, hindi, urdu and english.
biggrin2.gif
the passion is poetry and i am writing poems since i was 14 years old.. quite a long time it has been..

chalo, tuhaadi sangat wich ik hor bande da waadha hoya te mainu shayad kujh hor change yaar dost mil jaange... okay baabio !! do welcome me... i am here to stay for a long time
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

Abood

SPNer
Dec 20, 2006
Hello

Hello, I'm new. I'm not a Sikh, but I'm interested in all philosophies and religions. Hope to benefit from membership in this forum.

cheetah

SPNer
Mar 27, 2006
HI all brave sikhs! I am finding an answer for few questions-
Q1.'Why is there female foeticide?'
Q2."Why is there no peace?"
Q3."Why is there discrimination in world?"
But god says that we all are his sons & daughters, he doesn't discriminate between us then why we do it afterall we are his children? I am not saying that all of us do this so called discrimination but many people including some sikhs follow it. If anyone has answer to this then please tell me.

Dec 22, 2006
hi all, I was just searching the web to find the meanings of a shabad and ended up here. :) So far so good, since I did find the meaning of the shabad.

anywho just saying HI!! btw hope you are all enjoying your holidays

xylo

SPNer
Dec 24, 2006
I am a 31 year old man living in the UK, an agnostic who was brought up by my Christian mother and married to a Hindu. I have been reading the English version of the Guru Granth Sahib on the internet and it says exactly what I think. It is logical and simple while at the same beautiful and appealing. To me, it doesn't make assumptions or judgments about matters that are beyond human knowledge, does not prescribe meaningless rituals, does not preach, has a commitment to the equality of mankind and advocates simple and honest living without demanding austerity and self-abasement. It makes me feel like a valued part of the universe, rather than a pawn playing a part in the struggle of good and evil. It does not command, but advises. It does not condemn, but guides.

However, I have little contact with the Sikh community. I have lived in India, but as I stayed in Kolkata I saw fewer Sikhs than I'd see in Hounslow! I have tried contacting Sikh organisations in the UK for more information, but have had no response. Is there anyone who would like to befriend me and teach me more about Sikhi?

xylo

SPNer
Dec 24, 2006
I am a 31 year old man living in the UK, an agnostic who was brought up by my Christian mother and married to a Hindu. I have been reading the English version of the Guru Granth Sahib on the internet and it says exactly what I think. It is logical and simple while at the same beautiful and appealing. To me, it doesn't make assumptions or judgments about matters that are beyond human knowledge, does not prescribe meaningless rituals, does not preach, has a commitment to the equality of mankind and advocates simple and honest living without demanding austerity and self-abasement. It makes me feel like a valued part of the universe, rather than a pawn playing a part in the struggle of good and evil. It does not command, but advises. It does not condemn, but guides.

However, I have little contact with the Sikh community. I have lived in India, but as I stayed in Kolkata I saw fewer Sikhs than I'd see in Hounslow! I have tried contacting Sikh organisations in the UK for more information, but have had no response. Is there anyone who would like to befriend me and teach me more about Sikhi?

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
I would suggest you keep on doing what u already are.
There is lots of information available on the Internet, translations, focused studies such as science and mentioned in Guru Granth Saheb, Sikh History.

you already mentioned you contacted local Sikh authorities but to no avail. So just keep ondoing what u are. You can visit your local Gurudwara but i don't know if its gonna be any gain to you ( i am assuming you can't understand Gurmukhi or punjabi).

The only thing i would suggest is for you to learn Gurmukhi. Its worthwhile reading Guru Granth Saheb as it was originally composed. (its a tough task though)

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
I would suggest you keep on doing what u already are.
There is lots of information available on the Internet, translations, focused studies such as science and mentioned in Guru Granth Saheb, Sikh History.

you already mentioned you contacted local Sikh authorities but to no avail. So just keep ondoing what u are. You can visit your local Gurudwara but i don't know if its gonna be any gain to you ( i am assuming you can't understand Gurmukhi or punjabi).

The only thing i would suggest is for you to learn Gurmukhi. Its worthwhile reading Guru Granth Saheb as it was originally composed. (its a tough task though)

Sadly, most gurdwaras are like that, it's a real shame that we have come so far behind other faiths in terms of hospitality and reachign out.

I'm not sure that is the best advice, you can learn sikhi without having to learn another language... of course, you can learn it later on if you want to use it as a reference for learning. hopefully, in the next 10 years, there will be a fluent more flowing english copy of our holy scriptures.

BTW Dimitri, you may want to read THIS article to get to know what i am talking about.

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
You can learn all from available english translations and explanations.many good sources are available on this website.

Guru Granth saheb is written in a poetic form, so the english translation will only contain the meaning or what the meassage is (Thats all we need). You can't translate a poem or a song from one language to another fully. I have discovered how magnificently Guru Granth Saheb is written when read in Gurmukhi. Considering Gurmukhi as a script was especially invented to write Guru Granth saheb so its worth the effort to read it in that language.

Its a suggestion, we all gotta work, study do whatever else. time you would spend attending gurudwara and feeling its not making any sense, feeling not part of it, you are better off devoting that time to learn Gurmukhi.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
You can learn all from available english translations and explanations.many good sources are available on this website.

Guru Granth saheb is written in a poetic form, so the english translation will only contain the meaning or what the meassage is (Thats all we need). You can't translate a poem or a song from one language to another fully. I have discovered how magnificently Guru Granth Saheb is written when read in Gurmukhi. Considering Gurmukhi as a script was especially invented to write Guru Granth saheb so its worth the effort to read it in that language.

Its a suggestion, we all gotta work, study do whatever else. time you would spend attending gurudwara and feeling its not making any sense, feeling not part of it, you are better off devoting that time to learn Gurmukhi.

Well i am taking your advice lol! But i'm learning gurmakhi so that me and several others in the future can one day translate the SGGS into other languages. With the goal to make the english and other language transalation sound just the same and fluent as the gurmakhi version. It can be done without altering or changing the meaning, it has been done before.

Hopefully in the next 10 years! :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: