• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Aug 6, 2006
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh
I am a resident of uk.
I am member of Guru Gobind singh study circle and try to do sava for Guru Khalsa Panth with guru ji's blessing
Many kind regrads to everyone
Guru da galam
Bahadur singh

Aman Singh said:
Welcome to SPN!! :)

hello sir iam a mba student doing the course in uk....but basically iam from india, jammu and kashmir...previously i did mechanical engineering from my home town...iam excited that i joined u people....can u forward me the entire poem of allahyaar khan on our unmatched gurugobind singh ji......thanxxxxxxxx

hello sir iam a mba student doing the course in uk....but basically iam from india, jammu and kashmir...previously i did mechanical engineering from my home town...iam excited that i joined u people....can u forward me the entire poem of allahyaar khan on our unmatched gurugobind singh ji......thanxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Arshnu

SPNer
Aug 9, 2006
I would just like to introduce myself here. My name is Arshdeep (although I generally go by Arshy). I live in Vancouver, Canada and I just graduated from high school last month. I´m interested in history and politics and such and am likely going to pursue a degree in international relations in university (not medicine, law or engineering to the dismay of my parents.) Sadly, I don´t speak much Punjabi (although I do have intentions of relearning), but I can read Gurmukhi. I´m not too much like most of the Punjabis I know. I´m actually fairly westernized. I like classical rock music (unlike the rap that almost all of my indian friends are obsessed with) and have a Brazilian girlfriend.

When it comes to religion, I find that I´m not as good of a Sikh as I would like to be, however I do try my best. I´m accepting and interested in all faiths and find religious discussion and debate very stimulating. I´m looking forward to participating as such in this forum.

taranbir

SPNer
Apr 27, 2006
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh
I am a resident of US. I am married with 2 children. My interest is in dispensing Misinformation on Sikhism by the pseudo Indian Historian and propagate good sikh values to everyone.

taranbir

SPNer
Apr 27, 2006
A suggestion, maybe SPN needs to tie-up with Punjab Tribune and ask them to regularly print articles to propogate sikhism.

hns

SPNer
Aug 13, 2006
I am intersted in the melodious and lovely words sung in Gurudwaras. I want the lyrics of the following: -
1. Guru Jaisa nahi koi deva
2. Darsan dekh jivan guru tera
3. Mera man ek hi priya mange
4. Mitar payare
5. Mere Sahib
6. Mera mujhame kichh nahim
7. Main bin guru dekhe neend na Aye

Can some one please help. Devnagari would be preferred.
HNS

Aug 17, 2006
Oakland, CA
Greetings, all - I've been reading SPN for a bit, but this is my first post.

A little about me: I'm a 36-year-old woman from California (born here & lived here for most of my life); married 8 years, no children. My ancestors were English, German, and Swiss, which makes me a mixture and therefore 100% American. :wink:

When I'm asked what religious tradition my family belonged to, I'm never quite sure what to say. "Agnostic" is probably closest; my parents were brought up attending Christian church services but drifted away as they grew up. Sikhi is the first spiritual path I've encountered that feels right to me -- the first one that feels like it's actually speaking to my heart.

I'm a great admirer of Dya Singh, the musician from Australia. He once said about his music, "I am not trying to create Sikhs, I am trying to create seekers." He was definitely successful in my case.

Eventually, I want to be able to say "I am a Sikh." But until I've made simran and nitnem a consistent part of my life every day, and until I am attending gurdwara more regularly, I'll consider myself only a student and a seeker.

taranbir

SPNer
Apr 27, 2006
Dear CASeeker,
Sat Sri Akal!
Welcome to the fold. I hope 'Akalpurakh Waheguru' bestows on you whatever you are seeking.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Aug 19, 2006
canada
:u): :shock: :}{}{}: :down:

hello every body'
i am 33 yrs old young man and presently living in canada. i am married . basically i am musician and done phd in music.my hobby tolistion good vichar and rag based gurbani kirtan

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2006
WhaeGuru Ji ka Khalsa,
WaheGuru Ji ki Fateh.
I came to know about SPN few hours back and browsed the site.My heartiest congratulations to SPN team who have done this "UDHAM" .
Manpreet Singh

GURPREET308

SPNer
Aug 21, 2006
Ahmedabad
WAHEGURUJI KA KHALSA WAHEGURUJI KI FATEH
I'm a resident of INDIA. I'm graduate & presently doing job. Recently, I have completed two years correspondence course from Sikh missionary college.

Hello. I'd like to introduce myself, too. I am Ann (Anna Kaur), living near San Francisco, in California. I am very new to this forum and group but I think it is wonderful to have. I live near the Gurdwara Sahib in El Sobrante, CA, and still need to get to Fremont!

I might be one of the "older" members, as I am retired and this gives me much time for thought and reflection, reading!! I'd like to hear from others or from anyone who might be supportive of someone who was not born a Panjabi!

Enjoying Bay Area weather, cool summers, bookstores and would like to email others of like interests. As I do not speak Panjabi (but am learning), I wonder how I can fit into the community in a very non-disruptive way? Very much a beginner. All encouragement welcome!!

bajanman

SPNer
Aug 24, 2006
Hello there.
I thought I'd do the proper thing, and do an intro.
I almost never do on forums, but.. considering the circumstances, i thought it was appropriate I do. I'm an IT Manager living in the GTA area of Ontario, and I'm, shall we say actively (not aggressively) looking into the Sikhism religion.
Coming from a conservative, but not "traditional" background, I found it difficult finding a "religion" that was fitting for my beliefs. I have come to recognize I am very spiritual in nature, but I tend to question everything, and lacking in "faith", I believed that the religions out there were just for "simple minded" individuals. That was, until I started reading up on Sikhism.

I have the Honor of dating a Sikh woman, which has helped me learn a lot more about Sikhism, but. she herself is very limited in knowledge. I am a bit intimidated with going to the temples, considering that I'm white. I'm hoping I can find people here, who are willing to help me with the millions of question I have. I plan on starting my "meditation classes" next month.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Ann Kaur

You are most welcome to this forum !

All the disscusions here are done mostly in english so there should not be problem .And many here are non Punjabi so dont worry about fitting in .

I hope you have a nice time here .

Dear Bajanman,

Accept my heratiest welcome here on this forum .

In Hope this forum will help you understand better about Sikhism .
And anyway everybody is new to sikhism as no body is born one .

Jatinder Singh

:) Thanks, everybody, for all your welcomes!

After reading a few threads, I seemed to recognize a few issues perhaps many people are facing, not being Panjabi in a Panjabi based religion. (Is there alrready a thread on this?)

One is dress and following Khalsa especially for non-Panjabi women, because we do not own Panjabi dresses. I wonder if others have made any decisions about whether to wear them or not, when attending a gurdwara? Symbols and signs can be important, even outside of a Gurdwara, and it is nice to be able to recognize a like-minded person in public. Perhaps within a Gurdwara, but not in public, unless one marries into a Panjabi family who also wear them?

Another is feeling welcome in a Gurdwara when one is not Panjabi and does not speak the language. It is the opposite experience of Panjabi speaking persons who come to English speaking countries and often find themselves in another culture heavily saturated with modern slang and various English dialects.

It seems that these issues always come up with there is biculturalism. Some Panjabi or American born Panjabi men face it, too, when they decide whether or not to wear a turban. Culture and religious philosophy always interplay with tradition and "requirements" in any religious setting. While Panjabi dress for women is not a requirement for Khalsa, still one wonders if it might not be good to wear one, if one does not stick out too much, if for no other reason than to blend in.

Nanak gave one example when in his life somewhere he wrote that when he was among Muslims, he dressed like Muslims, and when among Sufis, he dressed like Sufis. Is this an example to follow?

In any event, I have thought that a woman wearing a skirt, even a long one, probably should not try to bow in a Gurdwara, due to modesty constraints and the possible distraction it can cause to all, not just men (like what is she going to do??).....I recall a humorous experience recently, when a male toddler went around picking up everyone's handbag when they left them on the floor to go around the circle in the Gurdwara (can't recall the word). He was delighted with his newly found treasures, to his mother's dismay, but I have to admit that everyone's mind was surely humorously distracted by his antics and watched to see what he would do next! She soon caught up to him but I am sure that that did not keep him from looking for something else to get into!

But I wonder: in some places,would a non-Panjabi woman with Sarwar stick out? Wearing just pansuits or jeans is not an answer either; some of us don't even fit into them anymore! And Panjabi female teens wearing jeans do stick out a little, especially when they always wear them or they are cut a bit short (need I say anything more?) My age is showing!:eek:

I do feel that it is important to attend a Gurdwara and to support it according to one's ability and talents, as far as the Panjabi community feels comfortable. Panjabi people do have the right to have a place where they can gather "among themselves or with like minded people" and know that some non-Panjabi's feel shy about going, but I have experienced that non-Panjabis are welcome, even if we are initially ignorant and cannot speak Panjabi. The first time I attended a Gurdwara, even though I did not really know exactly what to do every moment, I was gratified when three or four young Panjabi women sat next to me without even a blink or a hint that I might be "different"!

Everyone, even non-Panjabi's, needs sacred places, even if not on a regular basis or at in certain stages in life. To me, a Gurdwara is a sacred place. I can go there to listen to the music and to experience the spiritualness of it even if I do not understand each word. [I am learning!]. In that space, the "holiness" and quiet rubs off on me and I leave feeling a more complete person. Hope it continues into the week.

Another thought: could it be that the example of non-Panjabis' attending Gurdwaras and having open hearts to Nam is encouraging to Panjabis? I know a Panjabi Khalsa man who works in the neighborhood; his eyes twinkled and he grinned widely when I told him I had followed his street directions to the Gurdwara near here.

I have faced a special difficulty, because I cannot kneel or bow down anymore on the floor in a Gurdwara like I used to do --I used to always sit on the floor!!--due to arthritis in both knees, and initially I did not know what to do. First, I thought if I do try to sit down that way, I will break my knees, and then I thought that I would really create a scene when I found I could not get up! Heaven forbid I need several men to help me get to my feet!! :shock: !!

But, I go anyway, and occasionally see elderly Panjabi people who cannot kneel either and I follow their example the best I can.

Does anyone else have ideas on wearing Salwar and non-Panjabis attending Gurdwaras? Or experiences they can share? Have any non-Panjabi's joined Khalsa? I personally do not feel ready to even think of that, but it would be nice to have a daily reminder of a steel bracelet to remind me of my inner mind, if not commitment. In my case, another bracelet that is symbolic might fulfil the need, but I thought I would throw the question out there....

Thanks again all for your welcome and especially for any forthcoming comments and ideas.

Ending a rather long-winded rendition of "how do you fit in"?

Anna Kaur

Eliana

SPNer
Aug 25, 2006
Hello, everyone! Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I live in New Mexico and am married with three grown children. I am Jewish and I am currently working as a hosptial chaplain. Looking forward to learning more. Eliana

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: