• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Re: Greetings to one and all.

dear patric
As etider ji said we cant say that your serch will end here but i would like it to end here( sikhism)
as it happened with me

YOU ARE MOST WELCOME

Nov 23, 2004
Co. Tipperary IRELAND

Thank you all for the welcome. There are not too many other forums who've expressed such warmth. Very touching, and very appreciated.

Looking through the forum so far I am delight to see so many genuine people people. Most refreshing.

One thread mentions the basics about Sikhism. This cuts through a lot and goes to the heart of your teachings. I did not see anything on that thread I could not agree with.

A question, hopefullly someone will answer for me. I live in the countryside here in Ireland (Co. Tipperary) and to the best of my knowledge there are no Sikhs in the area. There may be some in Dublin (90 miles away) but I am not certain. Is there a phone number I can call (in Ireland) to get some one on one information?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

Dear Patrick,

Welcome to the forums. Most of us here are having the similar motive.

A quick search on Google gave me:
78, Serpentine Avenue, Ballsbridge, Dublin -4, Ireland. Phone: +3531 6671558

Somehow, I feel I had replied to this question somewhere else too, probably on sikhnet!

Also, I was looking at some Irish sites, which revealed that Irish and Sikh armies had close association e.g. Ref. http://homepage.tinet.ie/~tipperaryfame/medals.htm

Please feel free to post your views and ask questions to strengthen our learning.

Best Regards.

Nov 23, 2004
Co. Tipperary IRELAND

Sevadaar Singh vbmenu_register("postmenu_4488", true);

Thank you so much for the information. The link was a God send as on it I found details of a relation of mine (J Cawley). Amazing.

The town of Thurles, mentioned a lot in the link, is just four mile from my village!

I really know little of my towns but I'm delight to see there is some interesting history.

Thanks also for the telephone number. I shall give them a call and let you know how I get on.

Patrick.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

See, world is so small! :)

Irish people had spent their lives with Sikhs centuries ago. I believe there must be sikhs in minority there (may not be gurudwara though) in Co. Tipperary, as I have always come across sikhs in this Global village Earth, even at remote places. Sure, keep writing about your experiences with local gurudwara, and sikhs you come across personally.

All the Best :)

Eclectic

SPNer
Nov 11, 2004

Still_Searching said:
Hi everyone,

Just popped in to to say hello. I will come right out now and tell you all I have little or no knowledge of Sikhism, but I would dearly love to learn. I have a very open mind on all religions and try to see the good they all have to offer.

To date I've been leaning about Buddhism and Christianity. And now Sikhism. Funny thing is I was born a Catholic, but know nought about it other than I feel it isn't for me. I stopped being one some 30 years ago. (I'm now 46)

So now I am here, continuing the search, hence the user-name "Stll Searching", and hoping to learn.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Patrick.

I too enjoy the study of vast religions. I guess people call it theology. :) I thought Christianity was so difficult to study so far because of all the different views... the denominations and even the people within the denominations had different views. I find the history much easier to learn. I too am trying to learn about Sikhism and I was hoping that there would be a mutual exchange of info as I can share info on other faiths and the Sikhs could help me learn. :)

Welcome to the forums. :)

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

Still_Searching said:
gurudwara. This means a Temple, place of prayer? Do Sikhs Pray? Surely this must be the silliest question ever asked! From now on I will post my questions in the relevant area.:eek:
Yes, Sikhs do praise the creator of this universe. You can find lot of information in your own home http://www.iol.ie/~ndnsp/beliefs/sikh.htm

Please Feel free to raise your questions, however, before that preferably spare some time to browse existing threads too, as I believe there are lot of discussions about general questions in different sections on this site.

For Sikhs, sangat (association) is very important.

In the words of Yogi Bhajan: There are two basic fundamentals in Sikh Dharma, sangat and pangat. Sangat means San Gat. Sana, root word is Sana, Sana means love. Unquestionable love, not the love I love you, you love me, you brought me rose, I give you a kiss, I didn't bring the rose, you slap my face, not that kind of love. Love which has no demarcation, no dimension, love which has no question, no answer. Sangat thus means, sana love, gat means done. Where love is experienced.

I may be going off-topic, but learned members on this forum may shed more light on 'Sangat'

Regards.

Nov 23, 2004
Co. Tipperary IRELAND

Eclectic....Many thanks for the welcome. Nice to know I am not the only one here with an interest in learning about Sikhism.

Sevadaar Singh.

Great link. I just read it fully. A lot to take in in one go, but well worth it. I shall take your advice and get to know my way around the forum, get familar with certain threads, etc.

Patrick.

Eclectic

SPNer
Nov 11, 2004
Re: The Watcher

Sevadaar Singh said:
Do write more about yourself, including motive of your presence on this forum.

I don't think that's necessary if they plan on being a regular participant of this forum. :) Besides, he might be shy. ;)

Welcome to the forum the watcher. BTW, Why is your name, 'the watcher' any specific reason? I just thought it was interesting is all.

Nov 23, 2004
Co. Tipperary IRELAND
Re: The Watcher

Watcher. Em? Let's hope your user name doesn't mean you like to simply "Lurk"!! Either way, as someone new to this place and the world of Seikhism, I also extend a hearty welcome and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: