• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
May 28, 2009
PreetKaur ji

Typically a person receives a Ph.D in Relgious Studies not in Sikhism. There may be exceptions. What you want to do is find a university that has a doctoral program in religious studies with a strong department or endowed chair in Sikhism. The course of study - Sikhism - is different from the degree granted.

Examples would be University of California Santa Barbara or University of California Riverside If you are interested in universities in Europe or elsewhere, and not the US, I can also help you with that.

Hope that helps and if you want more information regarding universities as I described above I would be glad to helpy ou.

Antonia

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh............Aad0002 Ji..

Do we have any special requirements to get into such PhD programs? like minimum GMAT score... well I am planning to get into Accounting PhD..and preparing again for GMAT to get a good score...may be I can divert to religious studies ......If you can help me out...

Rabb bhali kare.........

Amandeep Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Adskhalsa ji

Each university has its own admission requirements. So I can't tell you without looking them up for each program. Admission requirements are also different in Europe from those in America. So if you live in country X and plan to study abroad you need to check everything out.

Many US universities do require standardized test scores -- usually the GRE for a program like religious studies - but again it has to be checked one university at a time. Since you live in the US, you probably would want to attend a US program -- but don't ignore programs abroad either.

May 28, 2009
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh... aad002 Ji...

Thanks for your information...well presently preparing for GMAT...A new target is added to my list...PhD in Sikhi...I am interested in US universities...I don't know whether US embassy will issue me a visa for such ap PhD program, because my F1 visa is expiring next month and sooner I will leave for India...before that I am thinking of getting done with GMAT with good score and apply for VISA...

well lets see.. "Jo Tudh Bhaavey..Soyi Changa..Ik Nanak Ki Ardaasey"

Chardi Kala.........

Thanks again for letting me know this ..other wise I would be wondering around looking for PhD in Sikhism...:D

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh... aad002 Ji...

Thanks for your information...well presently preparing for GMAT...A new target is added to my list...PhD in Sikhi...I am interested in US universities...I don't know whether US embassy will issue me a visa for such ap PhD program, because my F1 visa is expiring next month and sooner I will leave for India...before that I am thinking of getting done with GMAT with good score and apply for VISA...

well lets see.. "Jo Tudh Bhaavey..Soyi Changa..Ik Nanak Ki Ardaasey"

Chardi Kala.........

Thanks again for letting me know this ..other wise I would be wondering around looking for PhD in Sikhism...:D

AdsKhalsa ji,

Good luck in your endeavours. I hope you are successful in whatever you are aiming to do.

Tejwant Singh

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
I like to be known as just seeker. I was born in Punjab in sikh family. Went to Uk in 1959.
I was hard liner sikh till some one showed me and pointed the way to the real Truth. I set out to study most known religions. I went to India to find God. As if the God is only in India. Was the God hidden that I have to find? In the prosess I found myself. Every one who believe in one religion think that his/her religion is the only true religion. Religions are the stepping stone, not the end.Nanka's philosophy is best. He used logic.He never aproved any ritual of any kind. The sikhism is all ritiuals now days. If any act do not fit in logic then it is not right.
There is only one rule person have to live by: Do no harm to ANY life.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
seekr3k

Welcome to SPN :welcome: You seem to have a deep interest in spirituality and growth. I hope that find SPN an interesting place to further you journey. Sat Nam, aad0002

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Dear Seeker,

Welcome to SPN. :welcome:
I hope you find what you are seeking, if not here, perhaps somewhere else, perhaps within yourself.

Now, to plunge right in:

You say:
There is only one rule person have to live by: Do no harm to ANY life.

My best friend of 50 years who was Jain used to say that all the time. She really lived that way and had my great respect for that. Now, please forgive me for being contrary.

When my family was attacked and murdered in the Delhi Pogrom of 1984, even she could not say that we were wrong to fight back and even kill those who were killing us.

Your rule is wonderful as long as everyone respects all life. In this case, to respect their life would have been to disrespect our own. Life is often complicated and confusing.

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 103986" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1></TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Seeker ji:
I'm glad to see that you're not fooled by all the 'pomp and circumstance' stuff that makes most so-called religions so ODIOUS! While that kind of stuff has never served any 'Godly' purpose, it has far too often served some Human Beings (usually a 'leader') purpose of getting the masses into uniform and onto the battlefield - all in the Name of God, the all-loving, the all-compasionate, who - suddenly (they assure you!) - wants you to Kill for Him!
I too have studied many Religions - lately focusing on the Parsi, and an obscure group called the Mandaeans, as well as the Kabalists - and have found SPN to be filled with many kindered spirits!
I look forward to seeing your posts!

gurpreet2501

SPNer
Jun 21, 2009
Hi ...
I am sikh of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh ji ......My main motive is sikhi parchaar ...If u have any queries or doubts about sikhi related topics then ask me anytime at
Personal email has been removed by admin

Due to God's grace i will try my best to solve your queries. Just send me a private message here at SPN. Edit by admin

aryeh leib

SPNer
Jun 24, 2009
Sat sri akal, and many thanks for the warm welcome! I'm an American in his late 50's, born to a secular Jewish family. I became a religiously observant Jew at the age of 25, and am presently living in Israel with my wife, children and grandchildren in a Hasidic community.
While researching meditation techniques on the net, I came across an entry for Sikh meditation. This intrigued me, for, while I had seen Sikhs before in America, I had no idea that meditation was part of the Path. Like many others, I figured Sikhi was just some sect within Hinduism. I began to research it, and, to put it mildly, was I ever wrong! I can't say for sure what I would have done with my new-found knowledge, had I possessed it back then, when I was searching for a spiritual expression for my life, but at this point, I just raised my eyes Heavenwards and scream, "NOW, you tell me?!".
I can't say where this will all lead-- but, I want to know more, and thank you for being there to help.
Communication will have to be strictly through this forum, as I can't breathe so much as a word to anyone else about this venture-- and, I'm not the only one who uses this computer-- so, emails are definitely out. I look forward to getting to know you, and hope it will be a mutually beneficial experience!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

aryeh leib ji

Good that you find this forum to be a warm and welcoming place. Also that you found a large number of resources here that helped you to understand Sikhism better. Now I hope that you will be able to use some of our materials for your research. Please do post and participate in addition to reading. We welcome and respect the perspectives of other faiths, especially when they express positive regard for adherents to Sikhism and respect for our path.

Enjoy your time here, Antonia

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Aryeh Leib Ji,

Sat Shri Akaal anf Welcome! :welcome::welcome::welcome:

I have a friend who was in much the same position that you are in now. She belonged to a Christian sect that shuns anyone who dares to question the teachings of the elders. She knew she was dissatisfied and researched religions at the library and discovered Sikhi. She studied Sikhi at the library for quite a long time until...well, it's quite an interesting story which you can read at sometimes - 2: Mary (just click on the link here)in my personal blog, sometimes - 2.

The worst happened to her. Her husband and family disowned her, more than that, the consider her dead. She found the love and acceptance and practical help she needed among the Sikhs in our community. Today she lives in Amritsar with the mother of my beloved first husband (martyred in the Delhi Pogrom of 1984).

As a practical matter, please remember to clear your history when you close your session. If you are unsure how, go to "tools", click on "internet options" and click on delete where it says Internet history. And, if you want, you can open an e-mail account with your own virtual name and password without anyone else having access. If you need to be even more careful, I would suggest you do as Mary did and use public computers, such as at a library.

Whatever happens, wherever you go, I know that you will learn and grow in any belief system you choose (or chooses you) for having learned about Sikhi.

Love and chardi kala! (If you don't know this term, google on it, it's really cool.)

Mai :ice:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mai ji

I love your supportive to aryeh, and followed the link to the story of Mary. But next -- the blog was so wonderful that I went to your current page -- and really want to share with the forum that
A Guest Post From My Most Highest Imperial Majesty Queen Gathuku
is simply delightful.

And then a moment of great seriousness consumed me with your powerful pictures at
HOW TO TELL A SIKH FROM A TALIBAN, ILLUSTRATED
Very powerful stuff - the kind that does leave you for days.

Please all who are new visit Mai's blog to see Sikhism from the inside out.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks muchly, Antonia ji.

I'll do whatever I can to help any put-upon person who needs help. Isn't that part of being a Sikh?

The blog you refer to is sometimes - 2 http://mai-sometimes.blogspot.com. Of course, I enjoy having readers, although my main purpose is that I just enjoy writing. There is a second "Mary" post in there, as well, The Day Mary Became A Sikh. Just check out under the label "Mary."

May I plug my real Sikh blog, The Road To Khalistan THE ROAD TO KHALISTAN? That's where the heavier Sikh stuff can be found, most notably our stories from 1984, which was the original reason for this blog. Right now, the lead story there is a guest post by Preeti Kaur, a poem about the problems of a Sikh schoolboy.

Setarah

SPNer
Jun 29, 2009
Sat Sri Akal 2 all,
I'm Setarah.. am new here..
I found this site while i was looking for something on google
and then I found the topic beauty tips.. and I liked it very much..
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Sikhi..
I was born in a Hindu Family.. but since 2/3 years Im into Sikhi I try to do as much as I can.. . So I can say that I Believe in Sikhism..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: