• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

gaurav2017

SPNer
Nov 4, 2010
I am Khatri punjabi living in the state of uttarakhand in India.From my childhood i wanted to be sikh doing every kind of things like tying turban, wearing karas, etc.I only wear karas & visit gurudwaras some of the times.I wanted to know that is it ok if being Malhotra i can wear a turban.I am quite confused as in my family from 2 generations there is none who is wearing turbans.I love my religion very much.I am complete vegeterian too.Pls help me opting for the right thing

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
guarav ji

Welcome to SPN! I am impressed by your sincerity and passion. In a short answer I think you need to connect with some people on a long term basis, here on the forum and in real life, who will serve as your mentors and guides to a new chapter in your life.

Think about who can help you - who can serve as "best Sikh friend" or "friends" to understand what you are as a Sikh and how to live as a Sikh. That is the best way.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Gaurav ji

Many welcomes to SPNwelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaur

As spnadmin says above, your sincerity and passion come through loud and clear. It brings a big smile on my face.

I would first suggest that tying turban has nothing to do with your family name; it is a sort of commitment to the Sikh way of life, which is as an individual matter.

Please look around the site and feel free to ask questions. Chances are if one of us doesn't know, another will.

icecreamkaur

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I am Khatri punjabi living in the state of uttarakhand in India.From my childhood i wanted to be sikh doing every kind of things like tying turban, wearing karas, etc.I only wear karas & visit gurudwaras some of the times.I wanted to know that is it ok if being Malhotra i can wear a turban.I am quite confused as in my family from 2 generations there is none who is wearing turbans.I love my religion very much.I am complete vegeterian too.Pls help me opting for the right thing

SSA

Welcome to SPN

Let me answer your questions

1)It does not matter whether you are Malhotra or belong to any other caste
If you want to embrace sikhism and wear Turban it is totally upto you

2) You said you love your Religion,could you please clarify that you love Sikhism or you saying that you love Hinduism,your present Religion?

Oct 29, 2010
Dear Gaurav ji,

You sound an information hungry 'sikh' that is a pure sikh. May I suggest that before you jump too deep into anything look on the net and find out good and bad about all that you need. This source (sikhphilosophy.net) has infinite information on it and you will find that there is no restriction to the type of people who can look for the 'truth' or 'god'. I believe the freedom offered by Sikhisim is unparalleled compared to anyother religion.

If you get the opportunity to access the net try YouTube - Holy Sikhism, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXKg8HYzm8&feature=related and find associated information there also.

There are white sikhs, black sikhs and lots other. These people were not wooed into Sikhism - they made their choice by information from various sources.

I am reading a book at present about a Phd professor in Islamic studies who when he found out that Islam was based on contradictory premises, lack of truth seeking intentions and teaches hatred and intolerance of other religions was nearly killed by the religious people and the state of Egypt for changing over to Christianty - it is a very calming fact that Sikhism is totally opposite and encourages very simple route to the 'Lord'.
There is another book 'Conversation with god' that simplifies the route and I believe Sikhism is the same - the lord tells the author that the only difference between people like you and me and the likes of Guru Nanak is the fact that he listened to the inner voice (that is what makes you feel what is right or wrong) and never deviated from that 'truth' where as we may get lazy or take liberty and change the 'truth' slightly and thus get on to wrong track and from there further away from the right track that soon we do not know where we are. The point being keep life as simple as possible and follow the lord's voice.

Let me know if this helps you to do what makes you feel good (without hurting people around you) and then learn about the subjects that interest you.

Aug 28, 2010
GAURAV2017 Ji,
Divine Greetings,
Your love to become a Sikh ismost welcome and greatly appreciable.I am also based in INDIA in M.P{Central INDIA}.My families are mixed one and I dont have any problem in dealing with my relations .If concepts of any faith are clear why should there be any problem as such.But you must understand the IDENTITY REQUIREMENT fully and clearly.This would enable you to be a true Sikh.
With best Wishes,
Prakash.S.Bagga

May 24, 2008
Gaurav Ji ,
It is my humble opinion that we humans have just one life which we may not get again very soon . Nobody in this world wishes to waste or destroy this only life we have practically . Sikhism is perhaps the only faith which makes us rise from animal levels ( since we are coming from animal birth ) to the level of gods ( as described in Hinduism ) or Brahmgianis ( as described in Sikhism ) . There is no other religion which according to my little understanding makes a person capable of doing so ( with the help of Sri Guru Granth Sahib of course ) . No Sant , Baba , no human how much evelated he/she may be can make you achieve that level . Because as respected members have pointed out , Gurbani is journey of looking inwards which only you can do ( with proper guidance of course provided by SGGS ) . So if you wish to elevate yourself , make something out of your life , Sikhism is the way to go . My best wishes to you .

Aug 28, 2010
GAURAV 2017 Ji,
Divine Greetings
Your love to become a SIKH is welcome and most appreciable.I am also from INDIA based in M.P.You must understand the BASICS of Sikh Dharam along with some IDENTITY REQUIREMENTS.This would enable you take a appropriate decision to become a SIKH.
With best Wishes
Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: hi all

Hi back to you gtg123.... I missed your post there. Welcome to SPN and I hope you have a lot to say about things Sikhi :)

Please make yourself at home and enjoy what we have to offer, to read, to discuss, to ponder.

:welcomekaur:

Nov 12, 2010
the sunshine state
Greetings,
Im Sauda, and have been interested in Sikhism for the longest time. I do not come across that many Sikhs where I live (Florida), but feel in luv with Guru Nanak's message, making me more interested in Sikhism. I consider myself a traditional Muslim, on the path of Sufism, and find Sikhism principles very much similar to Sufism. Looking to network, and have great discussions with interesting people...
Peace and Prosperity

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
queenandcrown ji

Welcome to SPN. Whilst learning about Sikhi here I hope that post threads about Sufism too. We have an interfaith dialogs section that sometimes gets overwrought. So please making this your learning zone and teaching zone too.

It is good to have new thoughts and fresh minds!

welcomekaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Greetings,
Im Sauda, and have been interested in Sikhism for the longest time. I do not come across that many Sikhs where I live (Florida), but feel in luv with Guru Nanak's message, making me more interested in Sikhism. I consider myself a traditional Muslim, on the path of Sufism, and find Sikhism principles very much similar to Sufism. Looking to network, and have great discussions with interesting people...
Peace and Prosperity

queenandcrown ji

I am delighted to welcome you to SPN. welcomemunda Please go to our interfaith dialogue as spnadmin suggested. All of us here know different things about Sikhi. Please feel free to ask whatever you want to know on that subjecty. You'll probably get 10 different answers!

"The lovers of God have no religion but God alone." Rumi icecreamkaur

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

Mai Harinder Kaur JI

Every human being is aware of such thought that but when they become organized to this thought gives birth to certain organizations called religions.

New boundaries are created for their self recognitions with in their created religions and preaches others to change other religions to their owns by all means including financial helps to lure to their faiths.

Thus created many countries to their faiths which further multiply in their own groups resulted many n massacre between them or others.

Appreciate your quote:

"The lovers of God have no religion but God alone." Rumi is still truth and it will always be truth.

Jaspi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM