• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Naam, Shabad And Bani: What Is The Difference?

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
My dear friend Antonia ji,
you uderestimate your self. you have all the knowledge & the wisdom. just pick up the pen or sit infront of your computer then see what happens. you will be amazed with the grace of Wageguru ji. i am not giving you a pep talk . i believe in you . i know what i have seen in you. dont shy , dont wait. This subject of Asa ki vaar is very dear to your heart. Dont worry about other threads. Do you know whe you get a vision to do something & you dont do , YOU TURN DOWN GOD. I think i will write a post on How we Turn Down God. with love & regards Mahanbir Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Page 1171, Line 7
ਅਖਰ ਲਿਖੇ ਸੇਈ ਗਾਵਾ ਅਵਰ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਬਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
अखर लिखे सेई गावा अवर न जाणा बाणी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Akẖar likẖe se▫ī gāvā avar na jāṇā baṇī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
I sing the Word which You have written; I do not know any other Word. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

10ik

SPNer
Aug 7, 2009
Sikhi isn't something presented as a ready-made philosophy with its own rigid terminology.Guru Sahiban weren't providing some word-play or flowery poetry but just recording there experiences which is more of mysticism than a philosophy. For understanding mystical writings (sacred or not) it's not the knowledge of a certain language or terminology that could be of help what only the life-experience ( especially spiritual ) of the reader (doer).You can find these words used as synonyms (and different from one another in a single line). Still it be hard to describe Naam with the help of Shabad (or even word/s) or Baani ( or even lengthy treatise/s) as, JETA KEETA TETA NAAM ( EVERYTHING CONCEIVABLE OR UN-CONCEIVABLE IS NOTHING BUT NAAM)

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Naam a simple truth ?

I don't like complicated and abstract explanations for Naam .I like simple truths, I feel it means Truth. As we undertand it in his name is Truth .When it says practice the naam it means practice the Truth. Concentrate means concentrate on the Truth ,the naam as bani is still Truth, the created Universe is the manifestation of same Truth .Sri Guru Granth Sahib explains only one word ,simply the first word uttered by Guru Nanak in the Manntra- nce. It is possible to realise all there and realise nothing even after analysing many pages .I think it helps to hear what you read aswell,as there is a soothing flow to the words which seems to be an embed of naam.You can learn alot analytically but thats not the way to realisation or feeling it deep inside.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sar Sri Akaal,

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਰਸੁ ਚਾਖਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੀਠ ਰਸ ਗਾਨੇ

Our body release chemicals (Ras) for e.g.

One have perception of tasty food, saliva (Ras) is produced

So do

One have visual realisation of "Naam" or "Word"

Each "WORD" gives "RAS" or "Feeling" to "Seeker" or "Sikh" or "Learner"

One who realise, has "NAAM" "RAS"

But one has to realise word as the meta physical existense ("NIRGUN" and "SARGUN" form of "WORD")

No "WORD" is without "META PHYSICAL" reality.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: