• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Atheism My Thoughts On (a) God

Requiem

SPNer
Jan 18, 2014
I think ALL of what you said here, Requiem ji, touches on what makes me appreciate Sikhi.

If I say I am athiest, this is kind of why, in a nutshell:

Let's say there's an all loving, forgiving, all-powerful god out there... There are MANY different religions, and Sikhi seems to try to say that essentially it's kind of all the same. Fair enough. But, that being said, there are people out there probably misinterpreting a lot of what their religion has to offer, and not being "good Christians", "good Muslims", "good Buddhists" etc. There are WARS due to religion. If there was an all-powerful god who was able to stop this, and make everyone see that it's all the same, we're all the same, no body is better than another, no one religion is really better than another...why doesn't he or she? It makes me think of a parent who PITS HIS CHILDREN against each other, purposefully, and then sits back and munches on popcorn while watching them bicker...rather than attempting to get them to see how to get along nicely. I'm a parent. I'm *not* all-powerful, and I can't always convince my kids to get along, but I sure as heck try!! If a god had the power to do so and didn't...why???

Namritanevaeh ji,

even if a sentient, all-powerful God does exist, I doubt it would interfere in our day-to-day lives. If God was going to bail us out of our messes, then He/She/It would probably have to come down here pretty often. We mess up a lot. And if God was going to interfere in our lives, then what is the point of creating us in the first place? Why create life and then interfere, tell it what to do, how to live?

In any case, the sheer size of the universe makes me pretty certain that God probably doesn't care what we do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u595Y2xWPPI

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
But then...if god doesn't care, then why be a good person? ;-)

but that is the very point, in every other religion doing good, being good, is rewarded, and being bad and doing bad is punished. So those that do good for brownie points, I would ask, what have they learned? about themselves? about life?

the only reason to be a good person is because it is the true way to live, regardless of God, however, consonance can surprise you, a life of truth brings many benefits, not of the supernatural, but more of the pragmatic

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

Treat others the same way you would like to be treated.

The world would be a much better place if people did this.

For the record...I do. You know, I've had someone recently say I do more sewa than most Sikh people. ;-) I'm kind. I am forgiving and loving. Super open-minded. But I am an athiest I've got to admit. I see a LOT of good in Sikhi and I admire particularly langar. I think it's awesome. But when I go to a gurdwara and do sewa (which I do weekly now, every sunday morning) I don't do it for a god. Or for a person. I do it because I believe it is a GOOD thing to be doing (the whole idea, or philosophy, that has gurdwarey out there serving food to ANYONE no matter their background), and I do it for me, because I enjoy it.

:angeldevil:

Requiem

SPNer
Jan 18, 2014
For the record...I do. You know, I've had someone recently say I do more sewa than most Sikh people. ;-) I'm kind. I am forgiving and loving. Super open-minded. But I am an athiest I've got to admit. I see a LOT of good in Sikhi and I admire particularly langar. I think it's awesome. But when I go to a gurdwara and do sewa (which I do weekly now, every sunday morning) I don't do it for a god. Or for a person. I do it because I believe it is a GOOD thing to be doing (the whole idea, or philosophy, that has gurdwarey out there serving food to ANYONE no matter their background), and I do it for me, because I enjoy it.

:angeldevil:

You really are a better Sikh than most Sikh people, myself included :winkingkudi:

Helping others without expecting anything in return (from people or from a higher power), that is the very definition of "sewa".

angrisha

SPNer
Jun 24, 2010
Canada
But then...if god doesn't care, then why be a good person? ;-)

You need to be good for yourself, because of how it makes you feel day to day. I know if I intentionally hurt someone, it makes me feel not so good..... and I really dont like being the reason that Im unhappy...

Is acting a certain way to please anyone else ever authentic?

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
You need to be good for yourself, because of how it makes you feel day to day. I know if I intentionally hurt someone, it makes me feel not so good..... and I really dont like being the reason that Im unhappy...

Is acting a certain way to please anyone else ever authentic?

" If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now. "
-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
You really are a better Sikh than most Sikh people, myself included :winkingkudi:

Helping others without expecting anything in return (from people or from a higher power), that is the very definition of "sewa".

:blushhh:

Thank you. :)

You know, for Valentine's day this year, I made a ceramic box which I painted with a quote from GGS on it. "Through selfless service, eternal peace is obtained". I gave it to my mom. I learned it from her; she's always been a loving giving person (meaning giving of her time and services). She INSISTED when I was 17, that if I was to be living at home over the summer between school years, that I was old enough to either be working, or if not working, volunteering. I don't have super fond memories of volunteering that summer (I went to a hospital for the geriatric...elderly...and talked with them, fed them, read to them...) but I did it and I learned from it, that she was right. I don't know, maybe I didn't learn it right away ;-) that year, but I learned it. I actually really like spending time with older people now. The fact that it so often gives them pleasure, gives me pleasure. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: