• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

My Sikh Rehat Meryada

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Guru Granth Sahib is my Sikh Rehat Maryada.
Hasimiritkaur ji thanks for your post.

Can you please describe some of your key findings? There is nothing wrong with what you say except the detail of your understanding will help others to learn, check, etc.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
There are over 100 separate so called "Sikh Rehat Maryadas" Baba Ji Sants compete with each other over which one is original.

A committee mixed with religious men, some educated, and some politician type got together to form a sort of code of conduct.

It is up to us to decipher which code or codes are authentic and which ones are man-made due to greedy Brahman type cults disguising Hinduism as Sikhism, brainwashing and imposing rituals and restrictions against Guru Nanak's views, and forging Guru Gobind Singh's name and adding extra-Aad Granth texts as his writings, full of sex and drugs, Guru Gobind Singh idol worshipping the sun and moon like in the "Dev Shiva" hymn sung as the Sikh National Anthem. "Hey Rav, Hey Sas"...Bole Sonihaal..." etc.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Bhain harsimiritkaur ji I do not defend SRM per SGPC but your dismissal in a cursory fashion is little troubling. The following were the people engaged originally and most of these were not as bad as you denegrade these in your post. Perhaps you can state your qualifications in this matter as compared to some of those I am excerpted quoting for you,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
THE CODE OF SIKH CONDUCT AND CONVENTIONS
PREFACE​
The All India Sikh Mission Board accorded their acceptance to the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee's Conduct and Conventions Sub-Committee's draft of conduct and conventions by their resolution no.1 of 1st August 1936 and the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee, by their resolution No.14 of 12th October, 1936. The S.G.P.C.'s Advisory Committee on Religious Matters again considered the draft in its meeting on 7th January, 1945 and made recommendations for certain additions to and deletions from it. The undermentioned gentlemen were present at this meeting of the Advisory Committee.
1 Singh Sahib Jathedar Mohan Singh, Jathedar Sri Akal Takhat;
2 Bhai Sahib Bhai Achhar Singh, Head Granthi, Sri Darbar Sahib, Amritsar;
3 Prof. Teja Singh M.A., Khalsa College, Amritsar;
4 Prof. Ganga Singh, Principal, Shahid Sikh Missionary College;
5 Giani Lal Singh, Professor, Sikh Missionary College, Amritsar;
6 Prof. Sher Singh M.Sc., Government College, Ludhiana;
7 Bawa Prem Singh of Hoti;
8 Giani Badal Singh, Incharge, Sikh Mission, Hapur.
The additions and deletions as per the Advisory Committee's recommendations received the
S.G.P.C.'s acceptance by its resolution No. 97 passed at its meeting held on 3rd Feb.,1945.

Giani Thakar Singh, Amritsar; Giani Sher Singh; Bhai Budh Singh; Akali Kaur Singh; Sant Sangat Singh of Kamaliya; Bhai Kahn Singh of Nabha; Sant Gulab Singh of Gholiya; Bhai Labh Singh, Granthi, Sri Harmandar Sahib; Bhai Hazura Singh of Hazur Sahib (or a representative of his); Pandit Basant Singh of Patiala; Bhai Vir Singh of Amritsar; Giani Hira Singh Dard; Bawa Harkishan Singh, Principal, Guru Nanak Khalsa College, Guujranwala; Bhai Trilochan Singh of Sur Singh, Distt. Lahore; Giani Hamir Singh of Amritsar; Pandit Kartar Singh of Dakha, Distt. Ludhiana; the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat; the Jathedar of Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib, the Jathedar of the Takht Sri Patna Sahib; Prof. Ganga Singh; Prof. Jodh Singh; Sant Man Singh of Kankhal; justice Teja Singh; Bhai Randhir Singh; and Prof. Teja Singh (who was to be the convenor of the sub-committee).
The meetings of this sub-committee were held on Oct. 4 and 5, 1931, Jan. 3,1932, and Jan.
31,1932 at the Akal Takht. The following members kept attending these meetings and participating in the deliberations:
Akali Kaur Singh; Giani Sher Singh; Sant Man Singh of Nirmala sect; Prof. Ganga Singh;
the Jathedar of the Akal Takht; the Jathedar of Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib; Giani Hira Singh Dard; Bhai Labh Singh Granthi; Giani Thakar Singh; Giani Hamir Singh; Bawa Harkishan Singh, M.A.; Justice Teja Singh; Bhai Trilochan Singh; and the undersigned, the convenor.
Apart from these, the following gentlemen, attended occasionally:
S. Dharam Anant Singh, Principal, Sikh Missionary College; S. Bhag Singh, Advocate, Gurdaspur; S. Wassawa Singh, Secretary, S.G.P.C.; S. Tara Singh (President, Shiromani Akali Dal); among others.

The draft is submitted to the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committee. We hope you will get this draft printed and published for ascertaining the general Panthic opinion as to it and after receiving various opinions, present it in the S.G.P.C.'s general meeting for final acceptance.
After this, the draft was once again deliberated upon on 8th May, 1932 at the behest of
S.G.P.C.
The following gentlemen were present at the meeting on 8th May:

Justice Teja Singh; Sant Teja Singh, Granthi, Sri Nankan Sahib, Giani Gurmukh Singh Musafar; Giani Nahar Singh; S.Wassawa Singh, Secretary S.G.P.C.; Bhai Kartar Singh Jhabbar; S.Waryam Singh Garmula (Member Incharge,Nankana Sahib,); Bhai Partap Singh, book seller; S.Lal Singh (S.G.P.C.) ; Bhai Partap Singh, book seller; S. Lal Singh (S.G.P.C); Jathedar Mohan Singh (Sri Akal Takht);et. al.
Later, on the insistence of several gentlemen, another meeting of the conduct and convention Sub-Committee was held on 26th September 1932 to consider the draft once again. The following members attended that meeting :

Giani Sher Singh; Giani Thakar Singh; Giani Hamir Singh; Bhai Labh Singh, Granthi, Sri Darbar Sahi; Giani Gurmukh Singh Musafar; Bhai Joginder Singh (Mit-Jathedar Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib); Justice Teja Singh; Giani Nahar Singh; and the undersigned, the
convenor. Apart from these, Sant Teja Singh M.A. also participated in the deliberations.

By the way the use of the word Giani was not simply a meaningless addition to some of the names. Giani was an educational level study of Sikh religion, Gurbani and Punjabi as in High School for science these days.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that SRM should be treated as a live Guiding document and is overdue for serious dissection and improvement.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
If this is Rehat Maryada, then why do all the other 99 Rehat Maryadas forbid consumption of jhatka meat? Which Rehat Maryada is correct?

Why are many of the Sikh Religious leaders politicians dressed in amritdhari clothes promoting Brahmanwat?

Why do they allow a coconut during akhand paath?

Why do they have kirtan and akhand paath in the same room?

Why do they have 50 akhand paaths in one room at the same time like an akhand paath zoo. I see it even in Harmandar Sahib.

Why do they still forbid women from kirtan in Harmandar Sahib, yet Ahluwaliah's wife or daughter use to do kirtan there?

Why do they degrade women like ignorant pindus?
Why the pakandi dera do not allow women to read akhand paath, yet the paathis wear Muslmaan burka?

Where is Sikhism today? I don't want it to look like a stupid religion to outsiders.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Actually we are "blaming" the wrong thing...barking up the wrong tree...

Its NOT the SRM that forces some Amrtisar ke Thugghs to dress up like Amrtidharees and commit fraud...cheat and lie...or do all those things Harsimrat has listed in her mail...
What can the SRM do to stop a baba Ji mahapurahs type of thuggh to have coconuts and red thaggeh tied to water pots...alas what can the SRM do to blow out shudh ghee jyots that pollute Gurdwaras ....

In fact I could ask...DONT ALL THESE WRONGS HAPPEN inside GURDWARAS in the PRESENCE of SGGS ??? Why doesnt the SGGS stop these wrongs ??

The Real truthful answer is provided in GURBANI by the GURU...SGGS..."POORA STGUR KIA KAREH ji sikhaan mehn CHOOK ".....Its the SIKHS who are at FAULT 100%...Not the GURU, Not SGGS not SRM....NO JIOS..its US. Blame OURSELVES.

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Actually we are "blaming" the wrong thing...barking up the wrong tree...

Its NOT the SRM that forces some Amrtisar ke Thugghs to dress up like Amrtidharees and commit fraud...cheat and lie...or do all those things Harsimrat has listed in her mail...
What can the SRM do to stop a baba Ji mahapurahs type of thuggh to have coconuts and red thaggeh tied to water pots...alas what can the SRM do to blow out shudh ghee jyots that pollute Gurdwaras ....

In fact I could ask...DONT ALL THESE WRONGS HAPPEN inside GURDWARAS in the PRESENCE of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ??? Why doesnt the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji stop these wrongs ??

The Real truthful answer is provided in GURBANI by the GURU...Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji..."POORA STGUR KIA KAREH ji sikhaan mehn CHOOK ".....Its the SIKHS who are at FAULT 100%...Not the GURU, Not Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji not SRM....NO JIOS..its US. Blame OURSELVES.

ghee and coconuts, explain further?

Bhain harsimiritkaur ji I do not defend SRM per SGPC but your dismissal in a cursory fashion is little troubling. The following were the people engaged originally and most of these were not as bad as you denegrade these in your post. Perhaps you can state your qualifications in this matter as compared to some of those I am excerpted quoting for you,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[/FONT]By the way the use of the word Giani was not simply a meaningless addition to some of the names. Giani was an educational level study of Sikh religion, Gurbani and Punjabi as in High School for science these days.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that SRM should be treated as a live Guiding document and is overdue for serious dissection and improvement.

Sat Sri Akal.

Again, I cannot see any nihangs in the document, therefore the Khalsa was seriously misrespresented for SRM. A maryada without khalsa input, what's the point, we might as well become fancy dress singhs?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ghee and coconuts, explain further?

Again, I cannot see any nihangs in the document, therefore the Khalsa was seriously misrespresented for SRM. A maryada without khalsa input, what's the point, we might as well become fancy dress singhs?
lionprinceuk ji just some comments.

You keep pushing negatives and history.

Do you have any positive suggestions about the future as I started just such a thread in case it helps as follows,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/contr...gs-legacy-behold-core-build-2.html#post160438

Regards and Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Coconuts, jyots, water pitchers etc are used by some keshadharee hindus when they have akhand paaths of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I am sure in puraatan sampradiaye they have the same things. also in the dals. What is so bad about this practise, does it corrupt the soul? What is wrong with these traditional and ancient practises?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There is nothing wrong per se...whats wrong is that Gurbani teaches us to be practical...not ritualistic and karamkandees. When we should "drink" Gurbani so its teachings change our daily life..i see many sikhs wnat the "blessed water" from the pitcher to be sprinkled on them for good luck..now thats utterly karamkaandeeism....one cna see many bottles of water under the sggs manji sahib during akhand paaths..people seem to think gurbani neters the water and thst water will solve all their problems...whereas Gurbani atively condemns all such karamkaands. thats all...there is no need for any coconuts or gharras of water or red threads..etc..the need is to follow gurbani in spirit so it chnages us daily..

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am sure in puraatan sampradiaye they have the same things. also in the dals. What is so bad about this practise, does it corrupt the soul? What is wrong with these traditional and ancient practises?

corrupt the soul?

I am going to tell the story of a man, actually, I am going to make it a woman, and I am going to call her Janet. Janet is big on traditional and ancient rituals, she believes in the power of God, and she believes that this power can be felt through her faith. Janet lives very well, has a good job, lots of friends, is happy, and has huge faith. Janet believes that this faith gives her special treatment, sometimes the lights go to green as her car approaches, that is God smiling down on her, sometimes at work, everything just falls into place, again, because of a ritual she may have done recently, God is pleased with her and has rewarded her, she is a vegetarian, once she ate some meat, and somebody scratched her car in the carpark, so, as not to anger God, she keeps to vegetables.

Unknown to her, Janet is an addict, she is addicted to superstition, and its not that hard, convince yourself that following ritual results in a better life in the 'special lane' reserved for VIP's, and its very hard to go back from that. The irony is that when something terrible happens, Janet is completely unprepared for what to do, all she can do, all she knows is which ritual does this, and which ritual does that, has she angered the Gods, that they punish her so, and so, in the face of adversity, instead of being pragmatic and using her brain to find a solution, she is faced with the question of which ritual to invoke,

When you are going round in circles like this, yes I believe your soul is corrupt, you have learned nothing, you know nothing, your faith is in meaningless ritual, and the circle gets more and more closed, you cannot escape, the only way to break the circle is to put your faith in knowledge and wisdom, but to do that is to admit failure in the rituals, and a lot of people are just not strong enough to admit that.

It is this sort of 'worship' that the Gurus warned us against, but people do not listen, it is written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but certain people cannot get away from the fact that God is not there to be appeased, or fawned over, God is there to be emulated, it is the character of God we need to copy, we need to be apprentice Gods, We need to look at God and say, I want to be like that, I want to do help God do what needs to be done, by using my hands, my brain, my energy, my strength, I want to learn, to gain wisdom, knowledge, so that in a crisis, I know exactly what to do, by the grace of God

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
corrupt the soul?

I am going to tell the story of a man, actually, I am going to make it a woman, and I am going to call her Janet. Janet is big on traditional and ancient rituals, she believes in the power of God, and she believes that this power can be felt through her faith. Janet lives very well, has a good job, lots of friends, is happy, and has huge faith. Janet believes that this faith gives her special treatment, sometimes the lights go to green as her car approaches, that is God smiling down on her, sometimes at work, everything just falls into place, again, because of a ritual she may have done recently, God is pleased with her and has rewarded her, she is a vegetarian, once she ate some meat, and somebody scratched her car in the carpark, so, as not to anger God, she keeps to vegetables.

Unknown to her, Janet is an addict, she is addicted to superstition, and its not that hard, convince yourself that following ritual results in a better life in the 'special lane' reserved for VIP's, and its very hard to go back from that. The irony is that when something terrible happens, Janet is completely unprepared for what to do, all she can do, all she knows is which ritual does this, and which ritual does that, has she angered the Gods, that they punish her so, and so, in the face of adversity, instead of being pragmatic and using her brain to find a solution, she is faced with the question of which ritual to invoke,

When you are going round in circles like this, yes I believe your soul is corrupt, you have learned nothing, you know nothing, your faith is in meaningless ritual, and the circle gets more and more closed, you cannot escape, the only way to break the circle is to put your faith in knowledge and wisdom, but to do that is to admit failure in the rituals, and a lot of people are just not strong enough to admit that.

It is this sort of 'worship' that the Gurus warned us against, but people do not listen, it is written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but certain people cannot get away from the fact that God is not there to be appeased, or fawned over, God is there to be emulated, it is the character of God we need to copy, we need to be apprentice Gods, We need to look at God and say, I want to be like that, I want to do help God do what needs to be done, by using my hands, my brain, my energy, my strength, I want to learn, to gain wisdom, knowledge, so that in a crisis, I know exactly what to do, by the grace of God
mundahug mundahug

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
corrupt the soul?

I am going to tell the story ....... We need to look at God and say, I want to be like that, I want to do help God do what needs to be done, by using my hands, my brain, my energy, my strength, I want to learn, to gain wisdom, knowledge, so that in a crisis, I know exactly what to do, by the grace of God
Thank you veer Harry ji. Great prose and from the heart all well connected.

Regards,

Sat Sri Akal. mundahug

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM