• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

S Asia Mughal Emperor Zafar’s Descendant To Visit Pak Sikh Shrines To Seek Forgiveness

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Attari, Dec.6: A descendant of former Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar has said that she will go to Pakistan to seek forgiveness in Sikh shrines there. “My life has changed after I had visited the Golden Temple in 2004 to seek forgiveness for the atrocities committed by my ancestors – the Mughal Emperors on Sikh gurus,” said Sultana Begum, the great grand daughter-in-law of Bahadur Shah Zafar.

Sultana Begum has been living a life of penury on the pavements of Kolkata.

She told ANI on Monday before leaving for Pakistan via the Attari-Wagah border that she was getting Rs.400 as pension earlier, but the government had now raised it to Rs.6000 per month.

She also claimed that President Pratibha Devisingh Patil had given her assurances about providing her with a house.

She said that after her return from Pakistan she would meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi and the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh.

Sultana has led a harsh life, especially after the death of her husband, Prince Mirza Mohammad Badar Bukht in 1980.

She was married to him for 15 years. Badar Bukht was the son of Prince Jamshed Bukht and great grandson of Prince Jawan Bukht who was son of Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar and Crown Queen Zeenat Mahal.

In Mughal history, it maybe recalled that two Sikh Gurus – Guru Arjan Dev and Guru Tegh Bahadur -- were tortured and executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Jahangir and Aurangzeb respectively.

Sultana said her visit to Pakistan had materialized due to the efforts of Pakistani businessman Mughal Imran, said to be another descendant of the Moghuls.

Sultana said Imran had sent her an invitation letter and had arranged all travel formalities for Pakistan.Sonia Gandhi News

Copyright Asian News International/DailyIndia.com

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/412669.php

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM