• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditate - How, What, Where And When?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
not if the experience is given by Waheguru...

If all our focus is solely on the ridhi and sidhi then yes, of course this is against Gurmat...the ridhis and sidhis then become a distraction and one seeks to use them for their own benefit..

But so far in my own journey, i have realised many things...sights, sounds, other things i cannot explain...this is certain to happen because you are becoming 'aware' of all these things on the journey...
But i can only say that focus has to remain on the ultimate destination...even in the spiritual planes the 5 thieves can influence...

A lesson I applied in meditation:

I had jumped out of my body and went to turn the light on in the hallway of my house. My house was filled with Mayadharis so it had a negative energy in and around it.

I flicked the switch and realised a demon had cut the power, it stayed dark, it was trying to scare me. I felt it coming up the stairs and I thought, it wants to kill me, and it will this time. I was a newbie and was very scared. It tried to paralyze me (as they had many times before).

Suddenly I felt a wave of calm and I remembered gyan I had been told about Nirvoah and Nirvair. I laughed as the demon approached the top of the stairs, I sat down relaxed and I said, Oh God, I know its just You dressed up as this demon. White light came and I woke up.

Gyan put into practice. You learn lessons you can apply in your daily life.

Your friend backstabs you, it's just God, your spouse beats you, it's just God. Gurus were tortured and killed by fools, their murderers were just God.

Hence they remained Calm and in Chardi Kala.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
A lesson I applied in meditation:

I had jumped out of my body and went to turn the light on in the hallway of my house. My house was filled with Mayadharis so it had a negative energy in and around it.

I flicked the switch and realised a demon had cut the power, it stayed dark, it was trying to scare me. I felt it coming up the stairs and I thought, it wants to kill me, and it will this time. I was a newbie and was very scared. It tried to paralyze me (as they had many times before).

Suddenly I felt a wave of calm and I remembered gyan I had been told about Nirvoah and Nirvair. I laughed as the demon approached the top of the stairs, I sat down relaxed and I said, Oh God, I know its just You dressed up as this demon. White light came and I woke up.

Gyan put into practice. You learn lessons you can apply in your daily life.

Your friend backstabs you, it's just God, your spouse beats you, it's just God. Gurus were tortured and killed by fools, their murderers were just God.

Hence they remained Calm and in Chardi Kala.

Reminds me of a similar experience i had in my previous house during Amrit Vela Simran...

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Reminds me of a similar experience i had in my previous house during Amrit Vela Simran...

Yeah alot of people have similar experiences. The bad ones exist because God's teaching us lessons, we get beaten and taught according to karam.

If negativity exists, its God teaching us a fault still exists so work on it.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

your god does not sound like a very nice person..does your god have a personality? does it feel anger, wrath?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Lol Hello again.

Well if the Gurus could accept All as One, then I shouldn't be arrogant enough to argue with them.

ok, fair point, could you then explain, if that is the case, why the Gurus ever went to war?

just so I can understand the concept of seeing one in all.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
ok, fair point, could you then explain, if that is the case, why the Gurus ever went to war?

Hukam...

Best way to ask and answer these questions is to first seek experience of that 'one' within yourself...
if you can prove to your mind that God exists within you, through actual experience, then it's pretty easy to say that the same God also exists within everyone and everything else, everywhere...

Then, if the 'many' don;t really exist, and you figure out...that indeed, everything is just 'one'...you may want to dive deeper into wanting to know your true self...because through this experience of enlightenment to the truth you (God) may experience many things about oneself...because God is also infinite, therefore infinite possibilities within his creative power...you become the driver, rather than being driven by Maya...through this experience of the 'Many'

if it's all God, then everything is just a play, and he plays the characters...many shabads in Gurbani that try to explain this...but explanation and study is one thing...figuring it out through actual experience is another.. :)

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016

I'm sure we have had this discussion
before.

This is a khel. It's a game to discover Truth. War, suffering, pain, is part of the khel. Both the highs and the lows are his will.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
This is a khel. It's a game to discover Truth. War, suffering, pain, is part of the khel. Both the highs and the lows are his will.
But gurbani says, 'ਸੁਖੀ ਬਸੈ ਮਸਕੀਨੀਆ ਆਪੁ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਤਲੇ ॥ ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਰਬਿ ਗਲੇ ॥੧॥ it is their pride of dominating, exploitation and abusing other right which causes miseries to them and not God or laws of nature SGGS.278 and also ਹੋਹੁ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਅਗੈ ਮਤ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਪੁ ਲਖਾਵਹੇ ॥ ਆਪਣੈ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਿ ਜਗਤੁ ਜਲਿਆ ਮਤ ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਵਹੇ ॥SGGS 441.11

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure we have had this discussion
before.

You mention that you were plagued by demons when you were younger, and that this understanding made them go away, as I have never been plagued by demons, such understanding is only going to be alien to me, so attempting to understand it is futile, if we were to debate, and by some miracle, you accepted my points, then your demons would come back, and that is not something I would wish to be part of, however I do have a better understanding now of your focus. So I will ask you to explain to me, rather than argue with me.

If the highs and lows are his will, then could you explain where Hukam, Gursikh and Manmukh fit in?

Allow me expand, is Hukam following a code of conduct out of free will, your thoughts would suggest otherwise, therefore what is Hukam in the context of all being one?

If all is one, do we have a choice to be Gursikh or Manmukh? do we have any choice in anything at all?

Or, do we have complete free will, but in effect, life is a test of our character, as each lifetimes ends and another begins, the character grows till the cycle ceases? and each time we experience more of the one and less of the play?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Best way to ask and answer these questions is to first seek experience of that 'one' within yourself...

ok, how can one possibly know whether you are indeed in contact with the 'one' have you never had conversations that you thought were with the one, and then realised it was actually an agenda laden thief pretending to be the one, this must happen often, so in going deep within oneself, you must surely realise that not only will you meet the 'one', you will also encounter the thieves en route, for someone like you, the thieves have probably got sick of teasing you with lifes pleasures and now focus on pretending to be the 'one', do you ever find that happening?

if you can prove to your mind that God exists within you, through actual experience, then it's pretty easy to say that the same God also exists within everyone and everything else, everywhere...

Going back to my original point, do you think there are many people convinced they are worshiping, conversing and doing the bidding of God, when they are actually doing all this for a thief? So as much as God may exist in everyone, not everyone is worshiping it, listening to it, as some may be in the grasp of a thief. Such should be avoided in my opinion, but then how can you ever know who is in the thieves camp, and who is in God's.

Then, if the 'many' don;t really exist, and you figure out...that indeed, everything is just 'one'...you may want to dive deeper into wanting to know your true self...because through this experience of enlightenment to the truth you (God) may experience many things about oneself...because God is also infinite, therefore infinite possibilities within his creative power...you become the driver, rather than being driven by Maya...through this experience of the 'Many'

yes, you are correct, I have attempted it, and I understand completely your point, and then what? You know everything is temporary and finite, you know that the sticking plaster of happiness does not last for ever, so now being the driver, where exactly do you go? You cannot go further inward, because it gets cyclical, going further inward does not educate, it merely confirms, so brilliant, lets say now I know the truth, and I see how pointless most pursuits are, what do I do now? ( I already know your answer, you will know when you get there, but surprise me)

if it's all God, then everything is just a play, and he plays the characters...many shabads in Gurbani that try to explain this...but explanation and study is one thing...figuring it out through actual experience is another.. :)

I understand the concept completely, now I will also ask you, to what end? any understanding of the above would warp your ability to function normally as a human being, unless you are talking of merely trying your best and never actually achieving, so, its a play, now what Batman? as our american friends are fond of saying, how do we work this?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
But gurbani says, 'ਸੁਖੀ ਬਸੈ ਮਸਕੀਨੀਆ ਆਪੁ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਤਲੇ ॥ ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਰਬਿ ਗਲੇ ॥੧॥ it is their pride of dominating, exploitation and abusing other right which causes miseries to them and not God or laws of nature SGGS.278 and also ਹੋਹੁ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਅਗੈ ਮਤ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਪੁ ਲਖਾਵਹੇ ॥ ਆਪਣੈ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਿ ਜਗਤੁ ਜਲਿਆ ਮਤ ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਵਹੇ ॥SGGS 441.11

Well yeh, we receive as deserved according to the laws of karma

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Hukam...

Nice. He works through his Bhagats, hence we awaken when we allow Him to work through us.

He gives us a +1 charge, we go through the same ropes He went through.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
yes, you are correct, I have attempted it, and I understand completely your point, and then what? You know everything is temporary and finite, you know that the sticking plaster of happiness does not last for ever, so now being the driver, where exactly do you go? You cannot go further inward, because it gets cyclical, going further inward does not educate, it merely confirms, so brilliant, lets say now I know the truth, and I see how pointless most pursuits are, what do I do now? ( I already know your answer, you will know when you get there, but surprise me)

Can't answer these questions as i'm not quite there yet (where ever there is) ... actually i still feel like i'm not even skimming the surface...

if there's no end to your creative power, keep creating :)

Has Maya / the world stopped evolving? look around you...has it ever stopped developing...
so why do you question that once you 'know' ...what then?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Can't answer these questions as i'm not quite there yet (where ever there is) ... actually i still feel like i'm not even skimming the surface...

if there's no end to your creative power, keep creating :)

Has Maya / the world stopped evolving? look around you...has it ever stopped developing...

Lol creation is infinite and He continues to create. The gyan has no end and the path is endless.

But the perfect of the hearr is within reach.

Some Bhagats go so far only to realise further down the path that they are like a newborn baby, discovering for the first time.

It's beyond logic

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Lol creation is infinite and He continues to create. The gyan has no end and the path is endless.

But the perfect of the hearr is within reach.

Some Bhagats go so far only to realise further down the path that they are like a newborn baby, discovering for the first time.

It's beyond logic

you so far have been unable to answer a single question I have asked, including the one above, so I have to assume that you are working off a script, in the same way that when people ring me trying to sell me things, they have a script, which they are normally unable to deviate from, so you refuse to answer and keep reading your script, fair enough if it works for you, but it does leave you with little credibility given the statements you make.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

In my mind, yes it has, we are now merely going round in cycles, there is no real new understanding, the concept of one God has been around in Hindu philosophy for centuries, before it got diluted and distilled into hundreds of Gods, so yes, although in technical terms we are evolving and continue to do so, by comparison, philosophical evolution is dead in the water, what new concepts or new theories have come about even in the last 10 years? the last 20 years? the last 100 years? none. So philosophically, we seem to go from one pole to another, one book, two books, one god, two gods, and then someone presses the reset button and we all start from scratch.

So why should one question once you 'know'? because like everything, like love, and money, and power, even knowing, to my mind would corrupt, because we are not gods, we are not superhumans, and it is the human nature to take any power, any benefit, and use it for ones own agenda, which explains the multitude of Babas and Gyanis, you are on a journey whereby you do not know or care about your destination, seems odd to me.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
In my mind, yes it has, we are now merely going round in cycles, there is no real new understanding, the concept of one God has been around in Hindu philosophy for centuries, before it got diluted and distilled into hundreds of Gods, so yes, although in technical terms we are evolving and continue to do so, by comparison, philosophical evolution is dead in the water, what new concepts or new theories have come about even in the last 10 years? the last 20 years? the last 100 years? none. So philosophically, we seem to go from one pole to another, one book, two books, one god, two gods, and then someone presses the reset button and we all start from scratch.

So why should one question once you 'know'? because like everything, like love, and money, and power, even knowing, to my mind would corrupt, because we are not gods, we are not superhumans, and it is the human nature to take any power, any benefit, and use it for ones own agenda, which explains the multitude of Babas and Gyanis, you are on a journey whereby you do not know or care about your destination, seems odd to me.

i'm pretty sure myself, if i get closer to God, the attributes as described in the Mool Manter will begin to manifest :) ... The 'I' will start to dissolve...and i will begin to realise more what i really am...

From a technology point of view...has the world stood still...my God Harry! even for a technologist like yourself you can see crazy Robotic stuff developing, Virtual Reality becoming just as real as the real world itself :)... creation just keeps going... :)

From a spritual level i believe....i know...more and more people are coming to know that what we see is not always the be-all and end all...Our idea of What God is, what we are will keep developing as we evolve in this aspect and break free from the clutches of what we think is the real deal...

on the way to realising the truth, we are guaranteed to fall at the clutches of the 5 thieves...fake gyanis, saints play their purpose in the world...if only to help allow you to recognise a true Saint if you ever cross paths with one :)

Just my thoughts

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

NAAM and MEDITATION

NAAM: All living nonliving, visible invisible realised word has name in different translation creating synonyms.

Meditation : Repetition of NAAM and try to realise while repetition

RAM RAM KARTA SAB JAG PHIREY RAM NA PAYA JAYE

It is clear that repetition of single word all the times doesn't bring any virtue.

It was condemned. But we replace RAM with WAHEGURU.

Meditation is to connect SHABAD with SURAT ie WORD with REALISATION

And words for Meditation are SATNAAM words owes UNIVERSAL TRUTH

To a normal mind it (shabad and realisation(surat)) doesn't come at once initially, but once practice is there it come with EASE SEHAJ

REFERENCES POST NO 3 in this thread

There were two reference attachments having experience of realisation,
now both are shared as experience and there is practice.
Which is best and way to choose is BUDHI.
for individual which gives best of life.

Hope one can get self response to choose a way of life.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM