• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditate - How, What, Where And When?

aman108

SPNer
Dec 2, 2009
hello lucky singh ji ...
my name is aman
i red some of above articles ....
... but some thing which i will tell u after reading ur last post is that
1) meditation is not recommended in this age means in kalyug , because in this age it's not practical to meditate peacefully , what is recommended is japa and that too concerntrately
and it's equally important to perform devotional services
2)and the second point that meditation only belongs to hindus is wrong...,because no where in any hindu scripture it is mentioned that only hindus can perform medittion ..and no where in any scripture the word hindu is mentioned, because no one is a hindu or muslim or sikh or christian ... these are just the bodily designations till we are living because a soul is a soul , a soul is never a hindu or muslim or sikh or christian ...
3) and as i m not a sikh , i dont know much more about gurbani ... but what is clear from the word itself is guru ki wani means guru's instructions and guru's intructions are meant to be followed properly , sincerely , with intelligence not sentimentally ,and to b followed with true love for the spirtual master ( guru) because love means to follow .....
( what ever i have mentioned above is not any mental specultion or concoction , this what our scripture says )
wahe guru ji ka khalsa wahe guruji ki fateh ,
hare krishna

gurbanicd

SPNer
Oct 26, 2009
Complete Guru Granth sahib is motivating for meditation on god's name. How, what, where, when and why

How: by the satgur parsad, by obeying hukum(order) of all the pages of guru granth sahib ( guru nanak)by tongue, by heart,by breath , by every cell,
automatically

what: vaheguru

where & when- all the places all the time,starting with amrit vela, that is the ultimate goal for sikh or any other human being ,but it takes time,grace etc to reach that goal

when a girl likes a boy or vice versa or any other liking between mother and child .or even liking of any materialistic item we want to possess, we keeps on remembering, focusing it's qualities while moving while sleeping,while bathing while eating all the time .

You become so focus on that particular item that you forget the surroundings also.

But to remember something continuously we need to know it's qualities, its benefits then only mind will move towards that direction.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Meditation belongs to no one. It is acceptable for anybody who wishes to explore their own mind and give themselves greater perspective on things beyond.

Now, meditation in the conventional sense may not be an explicit practice of whatever one chooses to follow; however, that does not mean the practice is invaluable. All people of all faiths can find benefit from it.

If you don't want to, that's fine. But don't say it's only for __________.
animatedkhanda1

Batmanji,

Please quote me correctly, I never said it was only for Hindus, I said it was a Hindu thing, like veganism, karma, reincarnation, rituals. Guru Nanakji did everything he could to distance us from pointless actions that did nothing to bring us closer to a connection with Creator, this is of course my opinion only, and you are entitled to yours

peacesign

The questions raised by lucky Singh are very difficult to answer.

Think the following from Sukhmani sahib:

............Prabh ke simmran sabh kuch soojhe..........

One should do simmran, path, etc. Rest one should leave on Waheguru !

He will sure one day give the capabiity of complete concentration.

Do repeated simmran.........Forget the rest. That is the only answer to Lucky Singh questions

Aug 28, 2010
Complete Guru Granth sahib is for meditation, How what where and when and why

How: by the satgur parsad, by obeying hukum(order) of all the pages of guru granth sahib ( guru nanak)by tongue, by heart,by breath , by every cell,
automatically

what: vaheguru

where & when- all the places all the time,starting with amrit vela, that is the ultimate goal for sikh or any other human being ,but it takes time,grace etc to reach that goal

when a girl likes a boy or vice versa or any other liking between mother and child .or even liking of any materialistic item we want to possess, we keeps on remembering, focusing it's qualities while moving while sleeping,while bathing while eating all the time .

You become so focus on that particular item that you forget the surroundings also.

But to remember something continuously we need to know it's qualities, its benefits then only mind will move towards that direction.

MEDITATION is refered as focusing on some single object or image.
There are about nearly 375000 words in SGGS ji.
How one can meditate simultaneously on the whole of words of SGGS.

Can you present any quote from Gurbanee where we get th emessage that "It is WAHi GuRoo"(Not WAHE GURU) to bemeditated ?

Well I agree with the contents of of last three paras.

Prakash.S.Bagga

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
meditation for me ,when i am doing some work i am into it . (my tongue start touching my nose ), and that time there is nothing else in my mind, it bring peace, to my hard drive (brain), and when i pretend a 0:)talk with god (i believe in existence )

gurbanicd

SPNer
Oct 26, 2009
MEDITATION is refered as focusing on some single object or image.
There are about nearly 375000 words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
How one can meditate simultaneously on the whole of words of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Can you present any quote from Gurbanee where we get th emessage that "It is WAHi GuRoo"(Not WAHE GURU) to bemeditated ?

Well I agree with the contents of of last three paras.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Dear veerg

I am sorry actually what I was trying to say was that THE COMPLETE GURU GRANTH JI is motivating for meditation on Simran of waheguru .

Actually meditation can be done by any body by any name of god.

but for sikhs it the word is waheguru.this gurmantar is provided by panj piaras.

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Kaha Bhayo jo dou lochan moond kay, baith rahio bak Dhyan lagai

Nahat phiryo liya saat samundran, lok gayo parlok gavaio. SGGS

What are you trying to gain by closing both your eyes with your mind focused.
looking for holy places to bath while seven seas are with your self when life is wasted heaven is lost.

The idea is to contemplate and search for truth merely reciting words and focusing on them does nothing

Aug 28, 2010
Dear veerg

I am sorry actually what I was trying to say was that THE COMPLETE GURU GRANTH JI is motivating for meditation on Simran of waheguru .

Actually meditation can be done by any body by any name of god.

but for sikhs it the word is waheguru.this gurmantar is provided by panj piaras.

Yes,Now I agree with your message.
Also try to see the form of the word WAHEGURU there is no such word in Gurbanne with this type of Pronunciation.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
Kaha Bhayo jo dou lochan moond kay, baith rahio bak Dhyan lagai

Nahat phiryo liya saat samundran, lok gayo parlok gavaio. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

What are you trying to gain by closing both your eyes with your mind focused.
looking for holy places to bath while seven seas are with your self when life is wasted heaven is lost.

The idea is to contemplate and search for truth merely reciting words and focusing on them does nothing

This is not a message from SGGS

.If we consider this then the essence of
DHIYAN being refered in Gurbanee is defeated.Gurbanee does tell for focusing on some specific Image refered as AKAL MOORATi.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Jan 17, 2012
london uk
Sat Naam Waheguru

When we tune into our innerself this becomes a meditation.
Example Looking at the sunrise or sunset and being lost in its beauty is meditation.

How does become thoughtless?
By practice and more practice.

Harry Hardeep finds his Meditation in Sewa this is great.

Initiations into spiritual arts like Kriya and Reiki help.
However choose the teacher wisely Do not take initiations from a teacher who has much baggage
as they would only pass this on to you.

Being initiated with a Guru mantra from a Guru who is pure
can open new highways in the Brain. Then the mantra you mentally recite startss cutting the chitter chatter in the brain and stillness comes in.

Who is a Pure Guru (teacher)
In short he (or she) is one who have risen above Sins of Kam Krodh Lobh Moh and Hankar.

A pure Guru can be even your mother, one whose Aura is pure Divine love
so much so that in their prescence we find much stillness and peace.

Our blessings are with you

Amarjit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bXgdoSSfMDk

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
LOL okay if bani isnt words what is it? also medition was invented by sanatan religions LOL. i means you cant be serious when you think our gurus invented it LOOOOOL. where do you think the main sybmdol of meditation came from?"aaaaaaaaauuuuummmmmm"

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh veer ji thanks for your post. Some thoughts in response to your first post.
Gurfateh to all
Throughout the bani, it repeatedly tells us to meditate,meditate on the true lord.
Veer one has to be careful in being too literal. I do believe some translations into English of the words like (ਸਿਮਰਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਜਪੁ) into meditation/chanting is a great mistake. Unfortunately far too many are lead into this. The truth is that as you dwell on or understand and live as through understanding SGGS, you will find yourself in a state of realization that is always aware. This state is not emptiness but contentment and a state of consonance with what you are surrounded with wherever you are.

Luckysingh said:
Often wonder if i'm doing it correctly in the right way. I know that it is not simply repeating paath or bani in parrot fashion whilst my mind maybe elsewhere. But, I have to focus my mind by completely emptying it and blanking from all thoughts and just retaining the true naam- this is easier said than done.
SGGS ji teaches you to be always aware and not be devoid. To be always aware of the creator and the creation. Emptiness cannot be described and it is a false goal to set as you will never know and will always be dis-satisfied. Instead see creator's creation and link with all that you can with. It may be an animal, a tree, a stream, nice sound, beauty, the look in someone's eyes, etc. Once you start seeing goodness or connectivity in all and everywhere you are one with the creator in realization as one ever will.

Luckysingh said:
Does anyone know the best way? I'm not asking for a quick fix/ one step solution, I know it takes effort and time.
Live in ever increasing understanding of the creator and in consonance with all creation around.
Luckysingh said:
Does the way we breathe,sit or conduct ourselves as described in yoga practices affect the real joyful experience we are meant to attain with the supreme God?
Veer true meditation has been made by some to be an out of normal living experience. It really does not need to be so. If you carry out as described in consonance living, you are almost there. If you like quietness, be so. If your body enjoys yoga, do so. It could be spiritual or simply physical. But these cannot be used as goals in itself for some "WOW" moments but as part of living and no more special than any other fully aware activities and times. This is what I get out of SGGS and all types of other rituals in themselves have been identified in SGGS as to be just so, rituals with no long term redeeming value.
Luckysingh said:
How do we know if we are doing it correctly?
Your awareness increases, you see self as part of all that is around, you stop seeking you just become.
Luckysingh said:
How do I eliminate every single thought going through my mind-when naturally our God given minds and brains process hundreds of thoughts per minute. I know complete detachment from the surroundings is only experienced once the daily thoughts are eradicated.
Sorry for me the underlined are basically fallacies and have little to no relationship to our Guru ji's teachings that I have come across so far. These are Babey/Shabey/Parcharik stuff to take control of your psyche and pocket. This kind of thought puts people in defensive mindset and open to maximum exploitation. Sikhi is practical and fully aware living 24/7.

Hope above is of consideration.

Thank you for your posts. You write very clearly and specifically.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Meditate is not the correct translation of Simran.

I think it means to contemplate and focus on the very wisdom of whatever bani you are mindful of. It is very relaxing to remember God and His greatness.

There are no majic mystical encantation words in Sikhism.

Guru Himself is the Mantar.

Take the word mantar. It is two words put together. Man for mind and tar for transporting to a peaceful state.

Take the word simar which is two words put together. Si means "he" ( God is main nahin tun sabh kich tera) and mar means "dead" the ego is killed. Think about it "Jab ham hoti tun nahen" When I am, You are not.

Simar is the state of subduing the ego to keep a realistic glimpse of reality. This is accomplished through education of Guru Granth Sahib and applying the golden wisdom to our minds and accepting it and doing it.

ZaraONE

SPNer
Jul 26, 2010
Lucky
Find whatever method feels right to you. Meditation and your communion with Guru Ji is going to be a very personal relationship. This relationship will start to unfold your destined path for this lifetime.

I tried many methods and in the end I realized simply focusing on the Gurbani and the deeper meaning of what I was reading was the method. This helped me to tune into the wisdom and the love that Guru Ji showers our way in many comical ways, almost like a computer pinging at a remote station to ensure we are online!

Once reciting Gurbani became a daily practice Guru started to "present evidence" of presence in the Creation.

The riddles and hints are given, and he sees them with his eyes - Ang 217

Focus all your consciousness on seeing and hearing Guru everywhere. One mantra I started to adopt was ONE is here, and everywhere i.e. EK as it is the first number of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I would go shopping and in my heart would simply say ONE is serving me. At home with my family silently ONE is here. As this continued ONE Formless started to speak "through" people to me in a codified cryptic way that I understood by "reading between the lines" a message was intended for my ears.

When we tune into Guru he empowers us to share our stories. Guru states in Anand Sahib to share our Spiritual experiences with each other.

On that note, I am going to share a poem I wrote on the topic of IT. It just flowed from within and I had no idea the extent of the experience ... go to the bottom to read HOW Guru "spoke" through Kabir's shabad to confirm the poem!

http://www.unitedstarminds.com/2011/12/03/tune-into-the-code/

While meditating at the Gurdwara i.e. focusing on the kirtan I was inspired with another idea from Guru to create a CD for his Sikhs:
http://www.unitedstarminds.com/2011/11/10/kindred-hearts-unite-in-joyful-music-creation/

I hope this helps.
Blessings to you.

Balkar Singh

SPNer
Oct 30, 2008
Mere Veer Lucky Singh, Gurfateh jio.
Meditation ? Where why ..... there are so many Ws left. No one can Answer.
Let's ask Satguruji;-

"Does a hungry man ask, how should he eat ? Does he hesitate or wait for an answer ?
( GGS-629 )
2. Parrots & all living beings meditate ( and never ask how? )
( GGS-1265 )
3. All the universe is in deep meditation.
( GGS-540 ) "

Whatever we do not want to do, we set an inquiry commission and so is this question,
often asked.
Satguru Ang Sang.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
LOL okay if bani isnt words what is it? also medition was invented by sanatan religions LOL. i means you cant be serious when you think our gurus invented it LOOOOOL. where do you think the main sybmdol of meditation came from?"aaaaaaaaauuuuummmmmm"
Kamala ji let us not get carried away about who invented meditation.

Our dog meditates all the time and I have (can take too) pictures to prove. He closes his eyes and looks towards the sun and just reflects. At other times in a nice breeze he closes his eyes and let the nice breeze (specially if it is sunny) ruffle his fur ever so gently as he contemplates. In extreme Samadhi at night he even verbalizes some of his experience by muttering or almost making baby barks while buried in deep consciousness.

The symbol of meditation came from somebody trying to draw a snake in meditation and doing a poor job of it lol.

I kid you not! mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: How pride originates from trivialities.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM