• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Manmohan Singh: I Will Personally Work To Provide Honest, More Efficient Government

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Manmohan Singh: I will personally work to provide honest,
more efficient government

IANS - Dec 31, 2011, 06.14PM IST

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday said his government took some "transformational initiatives" to empower people and fight corruption and listed five key personal challenges to address as India enters the new year.

"These initiatives will take time to have their full effect and we must therefore be patient," the Prime Minister said in a long message, listing among others the initiatives taken on judicial accountability, citizens' charter, lokpal and lokayukta.

"But I do believe they are transformational initiatives, which will be recognised as such a few years down the line," the prime minister added in the message, which wished citizens a peaceful, productive and secure New Year.

Giving no sign that he was about to throw in the towel after months of political turbulence that put question marks on governance and his leadership, the Prime Minister said: "I want to assure you all on this New Year's day that I personally will work to provide an honest and more efficient government, a more productive, competitive and robust economy and a more equitable and just social and political order."

According to Manmohan Singh, who is mid-way into his second terms as prime minister of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, there were five challenges he would like to address in 2012.

He listed them as: livelihood security, covering education, food, health and employment, economic security, energy security, ecological security and national security. "These will be on top of our policy agenda next year," he said,

"In addressing each of these five challenges we must work together as a nation, while working with like-minded nations around the world. I assure you that I will work with all the energy at my command to ensure that we meet each of these challenges and overcome them," the 79-year-old leader said.

The prime minister, while expressing disappointment over the government's inability to get the lokpal and lokayukta bill passed in the Rajya Sabha, said he was committed to giving an effective and strong law to create these two institutions.

According to him, today's youth, especially those born after the mid 1980s, may have no memory of the kind of corruption that existed prior to 1991 where it required bribes to get a telephone or a rail ticket, or buy a scooter.

"But even as the creative energies of our people have been unleashed and old forms of corruption have vanished, new forms of corruption have emerged which need to be tackled," he said.

"Elimination of corruption is critical to support genuine entrepreneurship. It is also the demand of the ordinary citizen who encounters corruption all too often in everyday transactions with those in authority."

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...efficient-government/articleshow/11317356.cms

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
This has to be a joke. Nothing to do with Manmohan Singh ji.

What stopped the political parties to not do so since 1947?

Probably the clear answer is nothing other than to be corrupt themselves as this satisfied their greed and they could lie their way to re-elections(s).

Totally shameless most of them.

Sat Sri Akal.

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
Leave alone becoming an enterpreneur, one has to pay bribe to get a death certificate for a deceased person. To bury a dead person's remains in a city's cemetery, one has to pay the staff there an extra sum as tip. It's even worse in case of cremation. One has to pay an additional tip even to collect the ashes after completion of the funeral. Were these invisible to the Central Government all these days? How much more patience should one have after waiting for good governance since 1947? If any uprising is sensed against any injustice, the most time tested technique adopted by the political leaders is to create communal disturbances. As a consequence, people forget the graft and get more focussed at fighting amongst one another.

How can corruption come to an end in a country where people sell their votes for a bottle of liquor and a packet of Biryani?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Leave alone becoming an enterpreneur, one has to pay bribe to get a death certificate for a deceased person. To bury a dead person's remains in a city's cemetery, one has to pay the staff there an extra sum as tip. It's even worse in case of cremation. One has to pay an additional tip even to collect the ashes after completion of the funeral. Were these invisible to the Central Government all these days? How much more patience should one have after waiting for good governance since 1947? If any uprising is sensed against any injustice, the most time tested technique adopted by the political leaders is to create communal disturbances. As a consequence, people forget the graft and get more focussed at fighting amongst one another.

How can corruption come to an end in a country where people sell their votes for a bottle of liquor and a packet of Biryani?
ac_marshall ji so well stated.

In 1989 I have to bribe to get my father's Death certificate corrected. I don't know when you went through your experiences, if any. In the late 60s I had to pay bribe to have my domicile certified.

So all this crappola about lokpal is like throwing dynamite stick in a pool of Jello. The pool shakes and wiggles and then goes back to how it was?

Drastic actions are needed and I see none at the horizon?

Thanks.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
AND why the HECK did these JOKERS calling themselves Annah hazarreh Supporters VIOLTE the SANCTITY of the Harmandar sahib by mingling with the Devotees and suddenly whipping out BLACK FLAGS and shouting MURDABAAD...inside the Darbar sahib Complex ?? This place is forever ZINDABAAD !!

SUCH BEHAVIOUR was conspiciously ABSENT in the DURGIANNA MANDIR visit ??? I wonder why ?? Darbar sahib Amrtisar is such a HUGE INTERNATIONAL place of worship that it rattles in the minds of a lot of rabid communalists...despite trying so hard to relegate Darbar sahib into the background for the past 60 years by various methods...the Harmandar continues to SHINE on the World Stage far out of proportion to the Gold on its walls and domes....and that is unpalatable to a lot of communalists in India..hence this rabid demonstration to mar its image...totally unacceptable.

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
ac_marshall ji so well stated.

In 1989 I have to bribe to get my father's Death certificate corrected. I don't know when you went through your experiences, if any. In the late 60s I had to pay bribe to have my domicile certified.

So all this crappola about lokpal is like throwing dynamite stick in a pool of Jello. The pool shakes and wiggles and then goes back to how it was?

Drastic actions are needed and I see none at the horizon?

Thanks.

Sat Sri Akal Ambarsariaji,
My experience started with obtaining my father's death certificate in 1991 that too during Rajiv Gandhi's election campaign about a week before his assassination. I was a minor at that time, but saw the trouble my paternal uncles had to take. This was followed by bribes at the cemetery during entry and completion phases. Also some shameless demands for money came from some officials citing a problem of states i.e. death in one state and funeral in the other. Similar were the experiences with the funerals of my grandparents. The worse were in the cases of our family friend and a neighbour. Both their bodies were cremated in an electrical crematorium. As usual, the demand for bribe started with the death certificate, followed by extra money demand by the He{censored} Van agency as the deaths took place on weekends, extra tip demands by the crematorium staff before laying the bodies into the flame, some more tip demands at the exit point. It did not end here. While I accompanied the deceased person's brother to collect the ashes on the next day, there was another shameless demand "Rs 500 please". I felt most helpless that moment as my cross question could have resulted in a religion controversy. During the funeral itself, some of the relatives of the deceased friend objected to my handling of the stretcher on grounds of religion as I was not an adherent of their faith.

Bribe has actually become a part of daily life in India.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
AND those are those who DIED LEGALLY....LOL so what chance of those who died like jaswant Singh Khalra...No wonder so many UNCLAIMED BODIES.....Mera desh bahrat is relly Mahan ??? i think NOT.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM