YouTube - Puri, Indian Puffed Flat Bread by Manjula
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Oil to deep fry
- Mix whole-wheat flour and salt . Add water as needed to make firm dough.
- Oil your palm and knead the dough until it is pliable. Dough for puri should be firm but smooth.
- Set the dough aside and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes or longer.
- Divide the dough in 10 equal parts.
- Take couple of drops of oil on your palm and roll the dough in ***** and press it between your palms.
- Roll the dough into about 7-inch circule. If the dough is sticking to the rolling pin or rolling surface, put couple of drops of oil on the rolling pin and a couple of drops of oil on the surface.
- You can roll 4 to 5 purees before you start frying, but do not roll all the puries at once or they will begin to dry and not puff.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on high heat; frying pan should have atleast 1 1/2 inch of oil. To check if oil is hot enough place a small piece of dough in oil and dough shpuld float to the top right away.
- Place the puri in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer, puri should puff right away.
- Tturn puri over. Puri should be light creamy brown from both sides. Take the puri out and place it on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve puri hot or store in covered container after they cool to room temperature.
Last edited by a moderator: