• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Listening To Instead Of Reciting Bani?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Can you pl post a Quote from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji about Banee being refered as Satguru.?

Prakash.S.Bagga

SGGS Ji 982
sabh hai breham breham hai pasariaa man beejiaa khaavaarae ||
baanee guroo guroo hai baanee vich baanee a(n)mrith saarae ||
The Word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained.

gur baanee kehai saevak jan maanai parathakh guroo nisathaarae ||5||
If His humble servant believes, and acts according to the Words of the Guru's Bani, then the Guru, in person, emancipates him. ||5||

All is God, and God is the whole expanse; man eats what he has planted.

In the end though god is everything, god is god, god is guru, and god is the seeker (sikh) ... everything is Him, and the many is one...but this cannot be described in physical language and words...has to be experienced :)

Aug 28, 2010
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 982
baanee guroo guroo hai baanee vich baanee a(n)mrith saarae ||
The Word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained.

gur baanee kehai saevak jan maanai parathakh guroo nisathaarae ||5||
If His humble servant believes, and acts according to the Words of the Guru's Bani, then the Guru, in person, emancipates him. ||5||

All is God, and God is the whole expanse; man eats what he has planted.

In the end though god is everything, god is god, god is guru, and god is the seeker (sikh) ... everything is Him, and the many is one...but this cannot be described in physical language and words...has to be experienced :)
Now it is clear that the clear message is as gur banee kehai.....
Should there be any difference in the meanings of Guru and gur or not.?
This is importand to understand.
I may inform you that the english version is incorrect with reference to
grammar of gurbanee words.
In Gurmukhi version you will find that the word Guru is Guroo and the word
gur is as guru..

so I think one can understand the gurubanee means Banee of guru or one can understand that the banee is of satguru(not that banee is satguru)

Prakash.s.Bagga

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Now it is clear that the clear message is as gur banee kehai.....
Should there be any difference in the meanings of Guru and gur or not.?
This is importand to understand.
I may inform you that the english version is incorrect with reference to
grammar of gurbanee words.
In Gurmukhi version you will find that the word Guru is Guroo and the word
gur is as guru..

so I think one can understand the gurubanee means Banee of guru or one can understand that the banee is of satguru(not that banee is satguru)

Prakash.s.Bagga

No matter how much we intellectually try to understand what guru is and any other concept in gurbani, our mind will never be able to understand something that is beyond the mind.

is an apple sweet, is it sour, is it juicy, is it dry? how can we know for sure? maybe we should eat it? but when you eat one apple, and then you eat another apple, you realise they both give you different experience, but they are both still an apple.

enjoy your actual experience ji. our experience of Guru will be endless and in many forms along the way. atleast that is what i am realising...your experience may be different....but in the end everything will still One and the Same.

Everything in creation doesnt matter ji, books, bodies...the same principle that lies within everything...only that matters...the shabad/word/guru/god = one.

just my experience so far on my journey...but in the sea of infinite possibility, sangats experience may be different.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
jo praanee govi(n)dh dhhiaavai ||
That mortal who meditates on the Lord of the Universe,

parriaa anaparriaa param gath paavai ||1||
whether educated or uneducated, obtains the state of supreme dignity. ||1|| 197

you see ji, from the above shabad we dont need to discuss all the ins and outs of everything, and try to get an understanding intellectually.
We just need to open ourselves up to what is within us...simran, amrit vela, inner contemplation, to listen within..whats there, what is our consciosness...listen to it, demand it from god/guru...and it will come...all the answers to everything will come to you...but not in language...it will be your own true inner experience....real experience...real knowledge, real wisdom, real awareness, real enlightenment

I only hope God blesses me (sinner, lowest of the low) and the sangat with this true experience.

Satnaam

Aug 28, 2010
jo praanee govi(n)dh dhhiaavai ||
That mortal who meditates on the Lord of the Universe,

parriaa anaparriaa param gath paavai ||1||
whether educated or uneducated, obtains the state of supreme dignity. ||1|| 197

you see ji, from the above shabad we dont need to discuss all the ins and outs of everything, and try to get an understanding intellectually.
We just need to open ourselves up to what is within us...simran, amrit vela, inner contemplation, to listen within..whats there, what is our consciosness...listen to it, demand it from god/guru...and it will come...all the answers to everything will come to you...but not in language...it will be your own true inner experience....real experience...real knowledge, real wisdom, real awareness, real enlightenment

I only hope God blesses me (sinner, lowest of the low) and the sangat with this true experience.

Satnaam

It is really fine to have such an understanding. Only Ssatguru can bless with its own way of understanding. I fully agree to your this point of view

Therefore it may be concluded that there is no point of sharing the understanding of Gurbanee.

Then what for the views are being posted.?

Prakash.s.Bagga

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
It is really fine to have such an understanding. Only Ssatguru can bless with its own way of understanding. I fully agree to your this point of view

Therefore it may be concluded that there is no point of sharing the understanding of Gurbanee.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Because knowing other's points of view is always beneficial... because it gives you different perspectives on things and more to contemplate. It's the experience that is deeply personal, but knowing how others interpret their experience can not be a bad thing. It won't take away from your own personal experience, but it CAN add to it.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Prakash.s.Bagga

sharing and discussing gurbani is enjoyable, enlightening, and uplifting....and develops love for god/guru....i agree...it helped me so much...it made me wonder about god, made me think about guru...my interest in god just grew, and from somewhere the thirst for Him started to intensify....

but eventually i realised it doesnt matter how much i study, get grammer correct, discuss what this is, or discuss what that is...none of it will get me to experience god...too many opinions, they were confusing me.
i realised i have no choice but to start doing amrit vela, and to really see what this is all about.

naanak kathhanaa kararraa saar ||37||
O Nanak, to describe this is as hard as steel! ||37||

amrit vela is the airport, guru is the plane, all our answers will be givin on the flight (regadless of how much we think we understand gurbani) .. love, thirst, devotion is the fuel for the plane...and with grace we reach our destination

Aug 28, 2010
CHAZ SINGh Ji,
Well I find you are really graced to have boarded on a right plane for right
destination.
Gurbanee is very articulate in its message. Since Banee is GuR and is for all.
Who so ever reads this gets the answer to his mental satisfaction.
So every person gets different level of understanding depending upon his quantum and quality of thrust of knowing.
GuRu is ever graceful to all .One can look for this quote as
"Satgur sada dayal Hai Bhaee Vin Karmaa Kiya Paayiae
Ek Nadar kari Dekhe Sab Upar Jaisaa Bhaau Taisaa ful Paayiae"

So satguru always gives you the answer one seeks for.I saught the answer for Gurmat Ram Naamu
so I got the answer for that.If I tell that to others no one can accept or understand that because the person whom I am telling may not be mentally prepared for that .
So it is only when Guru makes the grace one is graced otherwise not.

So with all the best wishes for enjoying the grace of Hari ji.-(satguru)

Prakash.S.Bagga

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
CHAZ SINGh Ji,
Well I find you are really graced to have boarded on a right plane for right
destination.
Gurbanee is very articulate in its message. Since Banee is GuR and is for all.
Who so ever reads this gets the answer to his mental satisfaction.
So every person gets different level of understanding depending upon his quantum and quality of thrust of knowing.
GuRu is ever graceful to all .One can look for this quote as
"Satgur sada dayal Hai Bhaee Vin Karmaa Kiya Paayiae
Ek Nadar kari Dekhe Sab Upar Jaisaa Bhaau Taisaa ful Paayiae"

So satguru always gives you the answer one seeks for.I saught the answer for Gurmat Ram Naamu
so I got the answer for that.If I tell that to others no one can accept or understand that because the person whom I am telling may not be mentally prepared for that .
So it is only when Guru makes the grace one is graced otherwise not.

So with all the best wishes for enjoying the grace of Hari ji.-(satguru)

Prakash.S.Bagga

you are 100% correct ji,

true meaning comes only by his grace and when we are ready to receive it :) and only understood when we are at correct spiritual level.

I hope guru ji continues to glance his grace on everyone and myself (sinner and low life who keeps falling prey to 5 thieves)

until we receive his grace, let us continue to offer our mann, dhan, tan through amrit vela, seva and daswandh - complete bagti.

God bless you and the sangat

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Guru Nanak Dev Ji emphasizes the importance of listening Japji Sahib in four pauris (8 to 11).

People who do not know Punjabi language, but have full faith in Guru Sahibs, who are able to ride the vibrations of paath and keertan, and connect with Him are much better than ... (leaving it incomplete! you got the meaning .. right?)

Ability to connect, to communicate, to talk, to love... is what matters the most in my opinion.

Regards, Arvind.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
myself personally, i can read punjabi but not that well...so i tend to listen to say japji sahib using headphones with eyes closed at amrit vela before simran...i do believe listening to the sounds and vibrations helps a lot.

What i think is even more important that listening and reciting is taking gurbani and implementing in life...thats the real test...so for example..

naanak parakhae aap ko thaa paarakh jaan ||
O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge.
http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=433

living the above gurbani is extremely difficult...to judge only oneself..and not the people around you..

you walk into a room..and you catch someone talking behind your back...what do you do...judge the other...shout out in anger? or do you step back, analyse the situation...look at how you yourself are feeling...did you feel anger, hurt...why? shall i forgive?

self judgement...so difficult...yet so important...

Living gurbani seems to be the most important :)

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Moderation note:
1) "Do amrit" sounds a little disrespectful. The Amrit Sanchar Ceremony or Khande Bhatte Di Pahual is not something that is done, but is undertaken or committed to. Please do not refer to it as a common activity.

2) SPN TOS states ALL shabads must be posted in FULL as one-liners or quoting small portions are very misleading. The next post to break this rule WILL be DELETED without warning. We have repeated this a thousand times, please take note and remember :noticemunda::yellingsardarni:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: