• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Life - Existence - Purpose - We Will Never Know?

jaggyjag

SPNer
Aug 1, 2007
Hello Everyone!

I send everyone my warm and humble respect and regards. I began my life religious (Sikhism) at a very young age, and as time went by, I began to drift further and further away from being as religious as I used to be.

I was lucky to have even gone to Punjabi school and learning how to read, write, and speak Punjabi while growing up 100% in Canada. The problem really comes from the way I began to perceive the world as I became older.

At a young age, I never questioned things as much. If someone told me to read something, I would read. If someone told me to stop, I stopped. At a young age, I was luckily blessed and guided by my parents who provided the positive influence for my life.

When you get older, you begin to ask more questions. You want to ask these questions to establish a real and solid belief. Through many years of poking and prodding, I tried to come up with an answer to the most basic question of my existence, "What is the purpose of life?". What is the purpose of our lives? Not one in 8+ billion people in this world will ever know this answer. Only god knows this answer.

I'm not afraid of speaking of god, or questioning god. God is not someone or something to be scared of. God is love. This illusion of reality around us is being projected to our eyes by God. What we feel, whether it be pain, suffering, mental/physical ailments, is all the will of God. Does praying to God change the outcome of what is destined to occur? If I'm destined to die tomorrow, why would I need to pray to God to save me if it is merely God's will? We aren't here to question God's will, so is praying futile in this situation? Is it better just to pray for enlightenment, pray that one day the switch will flick in my mind and I will see the world through an enlightened lens?

Why is it that it seems like the world is becoming less and less religious? Do we necessarily need religion to live a life of humility, love, and brotherhood of humanity? Is it possible for someone who has never heard of Sikhism to be a good human being, live an honest and hard working life, and achieve whatever salvation God has in store for him/her?

Does Guru Granth Sahib Ji store the answers for what this salvation consists of? I know that when I was younger, the reincarnation component of our religion was not taught properly or well understood by me and others. Is this something I will have to explore, and seek on my own?

To the billions in the world who may not be given the opportunity of seeking or seeing the light: Are they doomed? Do they live their lives in their cubicles, however good hearted and spirited they may be, however much they may love each other and pray for the world to be a just and peaceful place, will they be doomed if they do not seek the (right) light?

This is also where it gets fuzzy for me. Many times when I was younger I was told it doesn't matter what religion you belong to. Other times I've heard either it is one way, or the highway. This is definitely the case with Christianity where an individual is doomed to hell if they do not accept Jesus Christ as the son of god and their saviour. What is Sikhism's real stance on this issue?

I agree a path and discipline is necessary to stay on track. Discipline is central to being on the right path. Maybe me posting this is my quest to reach out and seek an answer, seek guidance, or seek comfort - comfort in knowing that there may be something out there that answers all of my questions inside out, to whatever depth I may wish to probe.

English translations of Guru Granth Sahib Ji do not do even close to the justice I thought it would. It definitely takes a lot of dive into philosophy and purpose to even get a glimmer of what our guru's have tried to write for us.

I want to believe. I want to be strong and unwavering in my belief. When I question myself, and try to question only to not find answers, it's disheartening. It's disheartening to accept that for some questions, you will absolutely never know the answer (especially in this world). I don't want to give up, but I want to hear other's thoughts on this.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
In short from my personal experience : It is my humble opinion that all religions are different paths leading to the same destination. First spirituality : where there is no caste, colour, creed, nationality, gender or religion ! Then eventually to White Light / The Source / The Higher Energy / GOD !

While in physical existence, everyone has his/her own Karmas to fulfil. Spiritual guidance is best received from a "Spiritually Experienced and Enlighted Soul" . To me this is like a child going to school to learn from his/her teacher !

The key to the entire spiritual process is strong FAITH, will power ( determination) and above all patience ! It is essential to WALK the spiritual path rather then TALK ! Mere religious / spiritual knowledge is of little use, without regular practice ! I highly recommend the book: BANDGI NAMA ( Communion with the Divine), by Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir. The original is in Punjabi, but now available in English too !

Life experienes / lessons and hardships makes one strong in order for our souls to evolve further.

One must learn to let go of the PAST, embrace the PRESENT ( live in the moment), and focus on the FUTURE !

To me the essence of Sikhism is : Seva, Simran & Sangat !

With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji,

Harbhajan S. Sangha
Canada

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks Harbhajan ji for your great advice!

Jaggyjag ji -- if you want a copy of Bandgi Nama send me an email and I will send a copy to you as a .pdf file in English. I have it downloaded to my computer. My personal email is in my member profile or you can send a private message through this forum, SPN.

That goes for anyone. Just let me know. I have read it over and again at least 4 times! It is the best book on the subject because it talks about the way the soul's journey works in the life of an individual. It inspires me to want to go on. The author S. Raghbir Singh Bir writes with warmth and sincerity, in a real way. You feel very close to him as he speaks.

Jul 10, 2006
I have added my comments in blue.

Hello Everyone!

I send everyone my warm and humble respect and regards. I began my life religious (Sikhism) at a very young age, and as time went by, I began to drift further and further away from being as religious as I used to be.

I was lucky to have even gone to Punjabi school and learning how to read, write, and speak Punjabi while growing up 100% in Canada. The problem really comes from the way I began to perceive the world as I became older.

At a young age, I never questioned things as much. If someone told me to read something, I would read. If someone told me to stop, I stopped. At a young age, I was luckily blessed and guided by my parents who provided the positive influence for my life.

When you get older, you begin to ask more questions. You want to ask these questions to establish a real and solid belief. Through many years of poking and prodding, I tried to come up with an answer to the most basic question of my existence, "What is the purpose of life?". What is the purpose of our lives? Not one in 8+ billion people in this world will ever know this answer. Only god knows this answer.

I'm not afraid of speaking of god, or questioning god. God is not someone or something to be scared of. God is love. This illusion of reality around us is being projected to our eyes by God. What we feel, whether it be pain, suffering, mental/physical ailments, is all the will of God. Does praying to God change the outcome of what is destined to occur? If I'm destined to die tomorrow, why would I need to pray to God to save me if it is merely God's will? We aren't here to question God's will, so is praying futile in this situation? Is it better just to pray for enlightenment, pray that one day the switch will flick in my mind and I will see the world through an enlightened lens?

You could start from here "Aim of life" chapter
http://sikhismgurbani.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=30
Parmatma
Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Chapter 3 - PARMATMA

Why is it that it seems like the world is becoming less and less religious? Do we necessarily need religion to live a life of humility, love, and brotherhood of humanity? Is it possible for someone who has never heard of Sikhism to be a good human being, live an honest and hard working life, and achieve whatever salvation God has in store for him/her?

Lets see what you make of your question after reading a few chapters such as
Guru
Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Chapter 5 - GURU
Naam
Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Chapter 6 - NAAM
Gurbani
Shabad

Does Guru Granth Sahib Ji store the answers for what this salvation consists of? I know that when I was younger, the reincarnation component of our religion was not taught properly or well understood by me and others. Is this something I will have to explore, and seek on my own?

To the billions in the world who may not be given the opportunity of seeking or seeing the light: Are they doomed? Do they live their lives in their cubicles, however good hearted and spirited they may be, however much they may love each other and pray for the world to be a just and peaceful place, will they be doomed if they do not seek the (right) light?
Hukam
Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Chapter 18 - HUKAM
laykh
Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Chapter 13 - LAYKH & LAYKHA

This is also where it gets fuzzy for me. Many times when I was younger I was told it doesn't matter what religion you belong to. Other times I've heard either it is one way, or the highway. This is definitely the case with Christianity where an individual is doomed to hell if they do not accept Jesus Christ as the son of god and their saviour. What is Sikhism's real stance on this issue?

If All Paths Are Equal Then Why Was Sikhi Made?, Responding to Challenges to Sikhi
Q & A: If All Paths Are Equal Then Why Was Sikhi Made? - DiscoverSikhi.Com

I agree a path and discipline is necessary to stay on track. Discipline is central to being on the right path. Maybe me posting this is my quest to reach out and seek an answer, seek guidance, or seek comfort - comfort in knowing that there may be something out there that answers all of my questions inside out, to whatever depth I may wish to probe.

English translations of Guru Granth Sahib Ji do not do even close to the justice I thought it would. It definitely takes a lot of dive into philosophy and purpose to even get a glimmer of what our guru's have tried to write for us.

I want to believe. I want to be strong and unwavering in my belief. When I question myself, and try to question only to not find answers, it's disheartening. It's disheartening to accept that for some questions, you will absolutely never know the answer (especially in this world). I don't want to give up, but I want to hear other's thoughts on this.

Vichaar
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/16144-what-is-gurmat-vichaar.html
Seva and When Seva is accepted
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/16431-when-seva-is-accepted.html
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/16069-seva.html
Seva of Guru ji as in Japji Sahib Sunia and mannai
...see this threads.
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/japji-sahib/
(aagiaa maan jaan sukh paaeiaa sun sun naam thuhaaro jeeou ||)( guramath maaniaa mokh dhuaar ||)( guramath maaniaa karanee saar ||)

Copy of banginama
Gurfateh.net/Literature: has the full copy to download

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Hello Everyone!

Any translation of the scriptures is as good and potent as the translator’s ability to connect with his reader and communicate his message whilst leading his scholar to the threshold of his own thinking. Thinking, thought processes can be magically beautiful or tortured, confusing and angst ridden. Knowledge exacerbates at times, confusion and perplexity, whilst enlightenment frees the mind from the cave like recess where courage lies fearful and unable to overcome its worries, hate and ignorance to emerge from this cave. Each pearl of the Bani is uttered at different stages of the path, and therefore does not stand true as a constant, in that what is unfathomable and awesome today, will become as clear as light when the mind is sufficiently illumined. The greatest obstacle is to feel man cannot, was not destined to overcome his own limitation placed upon an oppressive force profiting from his spiritual annexation and suppression. The path to spiritual salvation requires a quiet bypassing of such negative path/forces and remain focused upon the positive. A lifetimes study will not gain man sense and understanding, whilst another supplicated in heart and bowed with faith in mind realises the inestimable infinity of the Waheguru and gains a tranquil silence thereafter. It is fate, it is fortune, it is also a matter of humble supplication. Each has their life path, goal and journey. The door to the treasure trove of the universal imagination requires the key of only one devotional and pure personal truth to open it wide and be free.

Faith precedes understanding gains enlightenment brings liberty. …

Sep 11, 2010
Texas
Dear jaggyjag,

Please don't give up your quest. I would recommend recommend reading some books by Deepak Chopra. And a book called A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.

I come from a similar background and had the exact same experience as you.

You are searching everywhere when all you have to do is remember. Remember who you are. Part of this infinite Universe. At the most fundamental level You are consciousness. What Geeta says is indestructible. The Upanishads say --Your SELF is supreme.

When you understand that , you would have attained enlightenment. A state of Bliss i.e. Happiness for no reason other than Being. It is really that simple. The problem is that we forget that, living our day to day life in this material world, which is really non material.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM