• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Lack Of Volunteers At Langar In Gurudwaras

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Source http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com//articleshow/10686720.cms?intenttarget=no

After industry and agriculture in Punjab, it seems even the institution of community kitchen or langar in gurdwaras - started by the first Sikh master and a symbol of equality among all sections of the society - can't do without migrant labour. The waning interest among Sikhs in the tradition of sewa (volunteer service) is forcing gurdwaras to hire this workforce to run langars on special days like gurpurbs.

Though the community takes great pride in the institution of langar and tradition of sewa, the lack of interest among devotees to perform sewa was amply apparent during the birth anniversary celebrations of the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak, at Jalandhar.

At several gurdwaras, especially in urban areas, unlike the earlier days when devotees would rush to gurdwaras to pay obeisance and get busy helping in the langar, on Thursday, one could only see hired labour preparing langar or doing other related work.

At Gurdwara Dewan Asthaan, migrants had been hired for preparing chapattis while the local Sikhs were supervising them and distributing langar.

At the historical gurdwara of sixth Sikh guru in Hadiabad locality of Phagwara, the in charge of the langar had to hire three migrants for the preparations and five women for preparing chapattis. ''Lack of volunteers forced me to engage three daily wagers for the work. We get people only for serving langar,'' said Nirmal Singh who supervises the community kitchen.

''Earlier local Sikh women would participate with great devotion in rolling out chapattis and would offer help in preparing vegetables and dal, but now very few come forward,'' he rued.

''I am a rickshaw-puller and have been hired for working in the langar,'' said Jagdish, a migrant from Bihar busy at work, sporting a saffron head scarf.

''It is not like any other job, we are working with devotion,'' stressed Dular Chand, his co-worker.

They also joined young Sikh volunteers in serving langar. ''We are doing this on our own,'' added Jagdish.

''The participation of volunteers, especially women, is falling every year and is confined to cutting vegetables and cleaning dals. The rest of the work is done entirely by this army of hired men and women. We have engaged the services of 20 persons for preparing chapattis as the devotees are not keen on doing it,'' said Atam Parkash Singh, president of cash-rich Singh Sabha Gurdwara at Model Town, Jalandhar. However, cleaning of utensils, keeping shoes in the Jorra Khana is still done by volunteers.

Seeing a paradox of sorts in the situation, Charanjiv Singh Lalli, who volunteers at Guru Nanak Mission Gurdwara, Jalandhar, said, ''Donations are increasing and magnificent buildings are being built, but the spirit of sewa, signifying humility and dedication, is clearly decreasing among Sikhs.''

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
dO THE deras ALSO FACE THIS PROBLEM ? I think not....the last i heard deras were into providing all sorts of 36 padarth menu driven langgars....and why not because almost ALL so called Sikh Ladies are busy at these DERAS.....in the villages i saw many such taking ALL the Fresh MILK to the dera while the family drank watered down chah...so YES..something is really rotten in the State of Punjab...
Understandably..we in MALAYSIA used to face simialr problems..whereby the ladies wanted time to do Haar Shingaar to come to Gurdwara...and this is NOT possible if one has to do SEWA...and also the 24 hour TV Channels with Melodramas and soap operas also ate into the time for sewa...BUT surprisingly OUR problem has been solved by the THOUSANDS of vehlleh ILLEGAL immigrants form PUNJAB who are squatting in and around the Gurdwaras...for them Langgar Sewa is a GOD SEND...Pakao te KHAO...the MORE they COOK..the more they can eat...so its a WIN WIN situation ofr us all...the Local ladies cna get up LATE and do haar shingaar and arrive at Gurdwara just in time for langgar eating sewa....and the desis dont have to worry about their meals while waiting for a menial job...japposatnamwaheguru:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I have heard stories that some dera workers help the community by building whole roads, and you know who the road contracters are :D
Kanwaljit veer there is even a flip side to it.

Now people here at some Gurdwaras have to pay by the plate and expected number of Sangat to have such people enjoy Langar.

It does not stop there I witnessed while enjoying Langar at one of the visits. A couple was sitting and getting very upset that not only people serving the langar were slow, they were not getting everything that saw people eating in a different line. I almost was ready to throw my Thali at them to get them of their but* and start doing Sewa and see how it works.

So sewa is less, money is more and some restaurant attendees (some members of sangat ji) are expecting higher standards of service and variety of food. icecreammunda

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Where do they have to pay for Langar?

Gurudwara or Dera?
The payment is aksed of he people organizing and not individuals eating.

If you get a Path service done at Dunwin Gurdwara, Mississauga. This is related to any special occasions and ceremonies where you will invite your relatives and friends. I believe Dixie Gurdwara, Mississauga asks for the same but I am not too sure.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
written by times of india, when they write about sikhs it always in the negative format.

THAT goes without saying....110% TRUE. The Indian Media has absolutley NOTHING good to say about the SIKHS..NEVER. Always take what they write and say with a TON of SALT (not the one in Gujrat made by that thuggh mahatma gandee fellow..but the MODERN purified salt)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM