• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Kara

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I had a nose ring for several years but I took it out a couple of years ago. The one thing I remember about getting it was that it HURTS. It's not like piercing your ears! The piercer had a tiny little stainless steel SPEAR (or that's how I think of it) and she just jabs the hole right through. If you have a short little puggy nose like I do, it goes through some pretty tough tissue and it HURTS. I had to take tylenol to get to sleep that night!

LOL

Apr 4, 2007
Oh, and what about henna on your hair? When the women here are at home, do you leave your dastar off? You never ever EVER go out without it?

What about your clothes? Do you wear jeans and stuff?

lol... i love it. :)

personally, except for my wedding ring, i don't wear jewelry except for maybe 1% of the time (i wore some bangles on my wedding day :)). i wear minimal makeup - a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen to keep my skin healthy and smooth out the tone. but again, i did wear nice makeup on my wedding day. :) i think this is totally up to the individual. as long as it's not a piercing- which is against rehet.

for me, i have a LOT of attachment to jewelry. i LOVE fancy shiny things. so i don't wear it as a way to rid myself of this attachment. it's only maya. :)

most punjabi women who are not amritdhari wear makeup and LOTS of jewelry. it's a cultural thing. 3HO sikhs seem to wear more jewelry than other amritdharis, possibly because the original 3HO sikhs came from hippie culture. :)

i sometimes wear a bandana tied around my hair when i'm just working around the house or even just running to the store. i wear my dastaar (or a simpler version, a "house turban") the rest of the time.

yes, i wear jeans. :) i wear completely "normal" clothes... as long as it's not too tight, too revealing, low cut, etc. i have to hide my gatra (strap for kirpan) and the kirpan, so tight or off the shoulder or deep necked things are out of the question. most young sikhs or sikhs raised in the west also wear "normal" western clothes.

i also wear salwar suits to gurdwara, simple ones when i'm working around the house or fancy ones for parties. they're SOOO comfy and you can literally wear them anywhere. :)

henna is a tough one for me. rehet says not to "colour your beard" (as is the custom among muslim men). now, i know in my heart that this probably extends to colouring all hair. :) dying hair damages it, so of course we don't want to damage our hair.

but henna isn't damaging, it's healthy. so is it ok? maybe. do i do it? no, because if i think about it this much, it's probably an attachment i can do without. :)

all of this stuff is really personal. look into your heart. why do you wear jewelry? why makeup? henna? if the answer is about attachment or attraction, then maybe it's not necessary. but it's up to you.

the one exception being piercings, which are forbidden by rehet. oddly enough, 99% of sikh women i know have their ears pierced, and many have their noses too. another example of culture overriding religion.

Apr 4, 2007
I had a nose ring for several years but I took it out a couple of years ago. The one thing I remember about getting it was that it HURTS. It's not like piercing your ears! The piercer had a tiny little stainless steel SPEAR (or that's how I think of it) and she just jabs the hole right through. If you have a short little puggy nose like I do, it goes through some pretty tough tissue and it HURTS. I had to take tylenol to get to sleep that night!

LOL

you're telling me! i used to have three holes in each ear, my nose pierced, and my tongue pierced.

the nose was the most painful.

of course, i got it done in malaysia, the traditional way (with a red hot silver wire... they BURN through the tissue!). ouch. :)

Apr 4, 2007
Carolineislands ji

The traditional place of the nose ring is as an adornment for the woman in a marriage ceremony. A bride traveled to the village of her husband's clan for a few days in an ox-drawn cart. The term was "loading and unloading the bride." There, she was shown off to the women of her husband's clan. Everyone wanted to see her face, her clothes and her jewelry. Any male older than her husband, in her husband's family and that often meant the entire village, was forbidden to see her face. In Old Punjab, after wedding festivities were over, the bride returned to her parents home, and then somewhat latter left again to live permanently with her husband's family. Most of the traditional jewelry worn as part of her wedding costume was taken off and kept in the Punjabi version of a safe. A special 4-legged chest.

remember that this is punjabi tradition, not sikh tradition.

in sikhi, piercings are forbidden because they originally were a sign of slavery or subservience. slaves were nailed to doorposts by their earrings to keep them from running away. nose rings identified temple prostitutes. now they all seem "normal", but when you think of the original meaning, they become less attractive (in my opinion).

in a way, they're still a symbol of slavery... slavery to fashion, to tradition, to maya...

Apr 4, 2007
Another thing I´ve seen at the Gurdwara is that many sikhs, even the elderly ones have tattoos. Mostly an ek ongkar on the forearm or the hand. This is something you shouldn´t do either. But I guess their thinking is, to mark the body as Wahegurus or to have it as a permanent kara? :confused:

most of the sikhs i have met with the small ek onkar on the hand are old enough to have lived through partition. they are usually from west punjab (now pakistan). you'll also see elderly punjabi hindus with "OM" in the same place, or elderly punjabi Muslims with "Allah". it may have been a way of recognizing one another... i know that during partition, women who were abducted from one community or the other were sometimes tattooed to "brand" them with their new identity/religion.

there's definitely some historical context to this, i'll research it further.

Most of the punjabi sikhs seem to live quite a dubbel moral. I was told how got a belly piercing from their husband for birthday or that most of the amritharis there drink alcohol and eat meat (quite controversial anyway if you should or not, I know) and from time to time take amrit again to quite drinking for a while.

sorry to be a hard-nose, but once they drink they're not amritdhari, they're patit. anyone who retakes amrit over and over to quit drinking should probably check out AA.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Correct. 5 k's is essentially a Battle dress. Even the long hair in a knot can prevent head injury.

The Kara would have been a wide piece of metal that protected the wrist when swords parried.
Yes Singhs and Singhnis back then wore at least 5-6 thick 200-500 g kare on each hand. It probably made their arms stronger as well.
I wear a 210.5 g kara on my right hand. Bangs around like crazy! Sikhs are known for their banging kare during class/lecture. :}{}{}:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

LOL
What people go through to try to look good...
hehe:}{}{}:

Hey i think we should not alter our bodies in any way, and stay in the form God gave us. Otherwise, cough** Michael Jackson **cough

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji,

I was showing my husband your response and he noticed right away the image SARBLOH. The we took a loot at prince911 on deviantART and he (husband) exclaimed, "That must be his portfolio! Tell him I belong to deviant art." So I am.

For a full minute I heard him exclaim "Look at that! Look at that!" It is good stuff you have there. Very impressive.

Husband ji does not post any original work there, but he goes there to look at other artists' work and to download wallpapers.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji,

I was showing my husband your response and he noticed right away the image SARBLOH. The we took a loot at prince911 on deviantART and he (husband) exclaimed, "That must be his portfolio! Tell him I belong to deviant art." So I am.

For a full minute I heard him exclaim "Look at that! Look at that!" It is good stuff you have there. Very impressive.

Husband ji does not post any original work there, but he goes there to look at other artists' work and to download wallpapers.
Thank you. :}{}{}:
Hmm.. Maybe I should make a wallpaper on Sarbloh. I have been working on a new one for quite a while now. :)

Apr 4, 2007
Yes Singhs and Singhnis back then wore at least 5-6 thick 200-500 g kare on each hand. It probably made their arms stronger as well.
I wear a 210.5 g kara on my right hand. Bangs around like crazy! Sikhs are known for their banging kare during class/lecture. :}{}{}:

interesting. :) i've never weighted mine... but it's certainly heavy enough that i can really feel it on my arm (i LOVE sarbhloh!) you're right, 5 of these would be a workout!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji,

I have the wallpaper uploaded on my gallery on deviantart.
Click on the pic in my signature and it will take u there directly.
or the old fashioned "click on the link below":
Sarbloh Wallpaper by ~prince911 on deviantART

Let me know if there are any problems with it.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
heh, Sarbloh reminded me of Wonder Woman from the comics, bullets would bounce off her bracelets. Maybe she turned into WonderKaur;-)
okay I am just starting Panjabi so what does Sarbloh mean? Steel?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Click here > BBC NEWS | Wales | South East Wales | Sikh pupil excluded over bangle

Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:

a) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
[Chang Yu says: If he can fight, he advances and takes the offensive; if he cannot fight, he retreats and remains on the defensive. He will invariably conquer who knows whether it is right to take the offensive or the defensive.]
b) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.
[This is not merely the general's ability to estimate numbers correctly, as Li Ch`uan and others make out. Chang Yu expounds the saying more satisfactorily: "By applying the art of war, it is possible with a lesser force to defeat a greater, and vice v ersa. The secret lies in an eye for locality, and in not letting the right moment slip. Thus Wu Tzu says: 'With a superior force, make for easy ground; with an inferior one, make for difficult ground.'"]
c) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.
d) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.
e) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Source: The Art of War - by Sun Tzu
blank.gif

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Click here > BBC NEWS | Wales | South East Wales | Sikh pupil excluded over bangle

[Chang Yu says: If he can fight, he advances and takes the offensive; if he cannot fight, he retreats and remains on the defensive. He will invariably conquer who knows whether it is right to take the offensive or the defensive.]
[This is not merely the general's ability to estimate numbers correctly, as Li Ch`uan and others make out. Chang Yu expounds the saying more satisfactorily: "By applying the art of war, it is possible with a lesser force to defeat a greater, and vice v ersa. The secret lies in an eye for locality, and in not letting the right moment slip. Thus Wu Tzu says: 'With a superior force, make for easy ground; with an inferior one, make for difficult ground.'"]
c) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.
e) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

blank.gif

Oh no!!! On the forum too. I hear Sun Tzu quotes at home and now Sun Tzu quotes on the forum.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

blank.gif
I love those quotes. :{;o:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
heh, Sarbloh reminded me of Wonder Woman from the comics, bullets would bounce off her bracelets. Maybe she turned into WonderKaur;-)
okay I am just starting Panjabi so what does Sarbloh mean? Steel?
Yes, Sarbloh means steel. That's where I got that name of my character, even though his skin doesn't become "steel", it is metal however.
Hehe:}{}{}: Wonder Kaur, maybe I should put up the Bat Singh pic I did.
Well, neither "Wonder Kaur" nor "Bat Singh" are in the Mutants story. But there is Balbir Kaur, I am working on developing her character and powers. He is able to control H2O/water, can freeze it into ice or heat it to steam, all with her mind. And she WILL be wearing a turban :}{}{}: if that makes any difference...:unsure:

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Very cool, thanks for explaining I love SarblohJi!
sure please put up Bat Singh...lol I'd really enjoy it. And Balbir Kaur beats Wonder Woman any day. I like the character, what can I say Sikh Mutants, brilliant.
A turban too, way fantastic:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM