• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Journey Of The Soul - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: Journey of the Soul

I realized the hard way, by many trials and errors,
that being born as a Sikh and having access to the wonderful wisdom of SGGS wasn't enough.
I had to put it to use. And this punched me and told me that what you think your are, isn't so.

Whoever does not realize the essence of the soul
all his religious actions are hollow and false. (Ang 1351)

The Sat Sangat, the True Congregation of the True Guru, is the school of the soul, where the Glorious Virtues of the Lord are studied. (Ang 1316)

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

I decided to go back HOME. So I went to the library to understand the various spiritual terms. I started with this:

AGAMPUR or AGAMPURĀ, lit. city unapproachable or inaccessible (Skt. agamya plus pur or purā). The word appears in one of the hymns of Gurū Nānak in Āsā measure where it is used to signify God's abode or the ultimate state or stage of spiritual enlightenment and bliss. Another term used synonymously in the same hymn is nijaghar, lit. one's own real home signifying the ultimate sphere of jīvātmā. The relevant stanza first raises the question :"Tell me how the city unapproachable is reached, " followed by the answer, "By discarding such measures as japu (mechanical repetition of God's name), tapu (bodily mortification) and haṭh nigrahi (forced control of the senses). " Realizing the Gurū's Word in practice is prescribed as the right path to agampur (GG, 436).

Encyclopaedia of Sikhism

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Dear Sir,

The answer to the above quote is given in my post of "SELF".

Regards.

Virinder

Mystery of Russian Woman's Soul
As a result of being spread out over different religions and cultural backgrounds there has been established a unique phenomenon of the "Russian Soul". This phenomenon has been exhibited throughout different events in history. Why does the Russian Woman represent the personification of femininity? Why does she have the potential, and tendency to reach completeness with her soul?
To understand the answers to these questions lets remember the famous Russian doll "Matryoshka". The set of them could have three to thirty of the same style painted dolls. Each doll fits within another. The construction of "Matryoshka" intends to reveal a little doll. To find out the mystery that she is carrying, you need to open the whole set. When you open each doll you will find another and establish between them outside and inside similarities. All "Matryoshka" sit inside of one another, when you look at them together you will see the only largest one. This large one symbolizes the wholeness of unity bonds with family, culture, religion, and folk traditions.
When you open all "Matryoshka", and finally, arrive at the last one, you can establish only an outside similarity. This little doll represents a multi sided link with the Mother, Family tree, as well as to culture and religion. This is the symbol of the Russian Woman's soul. "Matryoshka" represents to us the unending process of discovery of the beauty of Russian woman. The dynamics of a Russians Woman's beauty lies in her wisdom. This is shown by her ability to learn and to cherish every moment of her life experience "to have gone through the trials of life". It can readily be seen in her ability to constrain her pride, being natural and down to earth. Her creative attitudes is going towards her life and towards Man. She wants to approach a man's world that she will love and be devoted to. That is not only the ability to be able to speak with him in his language. It is also to see his picture about the world and his system of values, and her ability to be sensitive, to feel what he feels to share his emotions and experiences. She instinctively knows how important for a man to sense femininity around him. The genuine truth consists in the way she creates a "soft light" of femininity. It inspires him to feel the "voice of life" and realize his inner-power.
What is the driving force for a man who has chosen his own way to find a soul mate? Maybe this way allows him to break away from the "shroud of fog" such as an unconscious identity of views and stereotypes of the masses. This could not be a need. Everyone has a need and survives by taking conventions. This cannot be a moral choice because are used to choosing conventions as well. What is it that could have been when you force yourself to be on your own way of discovery?

Russian Women Counselor - Marriage & Family Counseling - Articles, Mystery of Russian Woman's Soul

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

The more I read, the more I wanted to exchange notes. So I was looking for a friend who talked about God and shared my journey within. The journey of soul searching began and I found someone who interested me. He spoke of the lofty God worlds and the names of the various sub-Lords and he gave me a lot of intellectual knowledge. But he could not enlighten me. He could not take me to Dasam Dwar.

ਮਃ
मः ३ ॥
Mėhlā 3.
Third Mehl:

ਮੈ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਵਡ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੈ ਤਾ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੰਗੁ
मै जानिआ वड हंसु है ता मै कीआ संगु ॥
Mai jāni▫ā vad hans hai ṯā mai kī▫ā sang.
I thought that he was a great swan, so I associated with him.

ਜੇ ਜਾਣਾ ਬਗੁ ਬਪੁੜਾ ਜਨਮਿ ਦੇਦੀ ਅੰਗੁ ॥੨॥
जे जाणा बगु बपुड़ा त जनमि न देदी अंगु ॥२॥
Je jāṇā bag bapuṛā ṯa janam na ḏeḏī ang. ||2||
If I had known that he was only a wretched heron from birth, I would not have touched him. ||2|| (Ang 585)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

I was looking for a true friend who would talk and carry me across to the other side while still living in the physical body. I has heard of Soul Travel and the various techniques used in the books. I tried all of them pretending to be convinced and pretending to have achieved some mileage but there was no true satisfaction. I hadn't met the True Guru in my dream state and I was not Soul Travelling either.

ਰਹਿਓ ਸੰਤ ਹਉ ਟੋਲਿ ਸਾਧ ਬਹੁਤੇਰੇ ਡਿਠੇ
रहिओ संत हउ टोलि साध बहुतेरे डिठे ॥
Rahi▫o sanṯ ha▫o tol sāḏẖ bahuṯere diṯẖe.
I have been searching for the Saints; I have seen so many Holy and spiritual people.

ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ਤਪਸੀਅਹ ਮੁਖਹੁ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮਿਠੇ
संनिआसी तपसीअह मुखहु ए पंडित मिठे ॥
Sani▫āsī ṯapsī▫ah mukẖahu e pandiṯ miṯẖe.
The hermits, Sannyaasees, ascetics, penitents, fanatics and Pandits all speak sweetly.

ਬਰਸੁ ਏਕੁ ਹਉ ਫਿਰਿਓ ਕਿਨੈ ਨਹੁ ਪਰਚਉ ਲਾਯਉ
बरसु एकु हउ फिरिओ किनै नहु परचउ लायउ ॥
Baras ek ha▫o firi▫o kinai nahu parcẖa▫o lā▫ya▫o.
I wandered around lost for a year, but no one touched my soul.

ਕਹਤਿਅਹ ਕਹਤੀ ਸੁਣੀ ਰਹਤ ਕੋ ਖੁਸੀ ਆਯਉ
कहतिअह कहती सुणी रहत को खुसी न आयउ ॥
Kėhṯi▫ah kahṯī suṇī rahaṯ ko kẖusī na ā▫ya▫o.
I listened to preachers and teachers, but I could not be happy with their lifestyles.
(Ang 1395)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Little did I realize that SGGS was the friend I was searching for, and who was always with me all along.

Page 1384, Line 10
ਹਉ ਢੂਢੇਦੀ ਸਜਣਾ ਸਜਣੁ ਮੈਡੇ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
हउ ढूढेदी सजणा सजणु मैडे नालि ॥
Ha▫o dẖūdẖeḏī sajṇā sajaṇ maide nāl.
I search for my Friend, but my Friend is already with me.
Sekh Farid - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Why I call SGGS my true friend is because the Great Guru Ji has all the answers to my questions.
Jo Prabh Ko Milbo Chehai, Khoj Shabad Meh Leh.

All I have been doing is cutting and pasting this shabad and that shabad, failing to recognize that this is the way the Inner True Guru speaks with us. Guru Ji is actually speaking with us as a friend, a father, a mother, a brother. I have been seeking the Guru beyond SGGS. What a fool I have been.

So this is the unlearning process which we souls have to go through. We have been taught to be go-getters. The world is just a drama. Searching outside of ourselves only loots our chance to go within to the True Mansion of God.

Page 13, Line 18
ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ ॥੩॥
निज घरि महलु पावहु सुख सहजे बहुरि न होइगो फेरा ॥३॥
Nij gẖar mahal pāvhu sukẖ sėhje bahur na ho▫igo ferā. ||3||
Within the home of your own inner being,
you shall obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence with intuitive ease.
You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Why I call SGGS my true friend is because the Great Guru Ji has all the answers to my questions.
Jo Prabh Ko Milbo Chehai, Khoj Shabad Meh Leh.

All I have been doing is cutting and pasting this shabad and that shabad, failing to recognize that this is the way the Inner True Guru speaks with us. Guru Ji is actually speaking with us as a friend, a father, a mother, a brother. I have been seeking the Guru beyond SGGS. What a fool I have been.

So this is the unlearning process which we souls have to go through. We have been taught to be go-getters. The world is just a drama. Searching outside of ourselves only loots our chance to go within to the True Mansion of God.

Page 13, Line 18
ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ ॥੩॥
निज घरि महलु पावहु सुख सहजे बहुरि न होइगो फेरा ॥३॥
Nij gẖar mahal pāvhu sukẖ sėhje bahur na ho▫igo ferā. ||3||
You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Nam Jap Ji,

Please continue your journey as Guru Arjan says;
ਰਸਨਾ ਉਚਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਸ੍ਰਵਣੀ ਸੁਣੈ ਸੋ ਉਧਰੈ ਮਿਤਾ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਲਿਖਹਿ ਲਾਇ ਭਾਵਨੀ ਸੇ ਹਸਤ ਪਵਿਤਾ ॥ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਮਜਨਾ ਸਭਿ ਪੁੰਨ ਤਿਨਿ ਕਿਤਾ ॥ਸੰਸਾਰ ਸਾਗਰ ਤੇ ਉਧਰੇ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਗੜੁ ਜਿਤਾ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਲੜਿ ਲਾਇ ਉਧਾਰਿਅਨੁ ਦਯੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਅਮਿਤਾ ॥

Rasnaa Uchrai Har Sarvanee Sunai So UDhrai Mitaa, Har Jas Likheh Laa-ay Bhaavnee Say Hasat Pavitaa. Athsath Tirath Majnaa Sabh Punn Tin Kitaa, Sansaar Saagar Tay UDhray Bikhi-aa Garh Jitaa, Nanak Larh Laa-ay UDhaari-an Da-yu Sayv Amitaa.

Those who chant the Akal Purkh's Name with their tongues and hear it with their ears are saved, O my friend. Those hands which lovingly write the Praises of the God are pure. It is like performing all sorts of virtuous deeds, and bathing at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage. They cross over the world-ocean, and conquer the fortress of corruption. O Nanak, serve the Infinite Creator; grasp the hem of Its robe, and It will save you. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 322

Cordially,

Virinder

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

A materialist passes his life in the dark valley of materialism. He is plunged in the sea of evil desires and always is tossed from this side to that side by the waves of material relations of wealth, wife and children. He cries for help, but in vain and in the end gets nothing but disappointment.

But Guru Ji explains that these sufferings are also a Gift.

ਏਹਿ ਭਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਤੇਰੀ ਦਾਤਾਰ
एहि भि दाति तेरी दातार ॥
Ėhi bẖė ḏāṯ ṯerī ḏāṯār.
Even these are Your Gifts, O Great Giver!
(Ang 5)

Sometimes in this sea a breath of enlivening breeze (divine impulse) pats him and kindles in him a hope that he may reach the shore safely. As it is not easy to renounce the material relations, the novice slowly breaks the snares of the world of plurality and cautiously begins his journey from the material world.

This journey is within one's own self. It is by way of simran that this journey begins. Somebody has well said that man is always engrossed in his petty thoughts and haunted by the ideas of gain and loss. As a result he not only loses his composure and peace of mind, but can also not pay attention to his spiritual journey to a higher world. It is obvious that mental unrest is more harmful than any physical loss or pain. Man can avoid the clash of external relations and interests, but it is difficult for him to get rid of his own ideas and thoughts because they are always with him.

Page 226, Line 1
ਗਲਿ ਜੇਵਰੀ ਧੰਧੈ ਲਪਟਾਇ ॥
गलि जेवरी धंधै लपटाइ ॥
Gal jevrī ḏẖanḏẖai laptā▫e.
The noose is around his neck, and he is entangled in petty conflicts.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Anyhow, the true seeker of God and traveler in his way is not distressed and discouraged by these obstacles and continues to boldly proceed to his destination with the help of his divine impulse.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

He has to be very vigilant and watchful lest any vicious thought may remain lurking in some hidden corner of his mind.
When these vicious thoughts are turned out, they usually hide in some hidden corner of the mind. The poor spiritual traveler wrongly thinks that he has got rid of their mischief, but when he has found the way to the fountain of life and wants to drink from it, they suddenly appear to ruin him.

Page 403, Line 12
ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੇ ਮੂਸੇ ਤੂੰ ਰਾਖਤ ਪਰਦਾ ਪਾਛੈ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਮਾਨੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
भ्रम के मूसे तूं राखत परदा पाछै जीअ की मानी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bẖaram ke mūse ṯūʼn rākẖaṯ parḏā pācẖẖai jī▫a kī mānī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Deceived by doubt, you may hide your actions, but in the end, you shall have to confess the secrets of your mind. ||1||Pause||

This spiritual traveler may be compared to a person who has built a water tank in his house but has not used long. In the meantime the impurities and pollution have settled down in the bottom of the tank although water appears to be clear from above. He thinks that water is clean, but when he gets down into the tank or washes something in it, black patches appear on the surface and he finds that water is dirty.

For this Guru Ji shows the remedy:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਮਨ ਕਾ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ
मन का सूतकु दूजा भाउ ॥
Man kā sūṯak ḏūjā bẖā▫o.
The pollution of the mind is the love of duality.

ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਆਵਉ ਜਾਉ ॥੧॥
भरमे भूले आवउ जाउ ॥१॥
Bẖarme bẖūle āva▫o jā▫o. ||1||
Deluded by doubt, people come and go in reincarnation. ||1||

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਕਬਹਿ ਜਾਇ
मनमुखि सूतकु कबहि न जाइ ॥
Manmukẖ sūṯak kabėh na jā▫e.
The pollution of the self-willed manmukhs will never go away,

ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੀਜੈ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਨਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
जिचरु सबदि न भीजै हरि कै नाइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jicẖar sabaḏ na bẖījai har kai nā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
as long as they do not dwell on the Shabad, and the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਸਭੋ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਜੇਤਾ ਮੋਹੁ ਆਕਾਰੁ
सभो सूतकु जेता मोहु आकारु ॥
Sabẖo sūṯak jeṯā moh ākār.
All the created beings are contaminated by emotional attachment;

ਮਰਿ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੈ ਵਾਰੋ ਵਾਰ ॥੨॥
मरि मरि जमै वारो वार ॥२॥
Mar mar jammai vāro vār. ||2||
they die and are reborn, only to die over and over again. ||2||

ਸੂਤਕੁ ਅਗਨਿ ਪਉਣੈ ਪਾਣੀ ਮਾਹਿ
सूतकु अगनि पउणै पाणी माहि ॥
Sūṯak agan pa▫uṇai pāṇī māhi.
Fire, air and water are polluted.

ਸੂਤਕੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਜੇਤਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਖਾਹਿ ॥੩॥
सूतकु भोजनु जेता किछु खाहि ॥३॥
Sūṯak bẖojan jeṯā kicẖẖ kẖāhi. ||3||
The food which is eaten is polluted. ||3||

ਸੂਤਕਿ ਕਰਮ ਪੂਜਾ ਹੋਇ
सूतकि करम न पूजा होइ ॥
Sūṯak karam na pūjā ho▫e.
The actions of those who do not worship the Lord are polluted.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥
नामि रते मनु निरमलु होइ ॥४॥
Nām raṯe man nirmal ho▫e. ||4||
Attuned to the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the mind becomes immaculate. ||4||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿਐ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਜਾਇ
सतिगुरु सेविऐ सूतकु जाइ ॥
Saṯgur sevi▫ai sūṯak jā▫e.
Serving the True Guru, pollution is eradicated,

ਮਰੈ ਜਨਮੈ ਕਾਲੁ ਖਾਇ ॥੫॥
मरै न जनमै कालु न खाइ ॥५॥
Marai na janmai kāl na kẖā▫e. ||5||
and then, one does not suffer death and rebirth, or get devoured by death. ||5||

ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸੋਧਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਕੋਇ
सासत सिम्रिति सोधि देखहु कोइ ॥
Sāsaṯ simriṯ soḏẖ ḏekẖhu ko▫e.
You may study and examine the Shaastras and the Simritees,

ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੬॥
विणु नावै को मुकति न होइ ॥६॥
viṇ nāvai ko mukaṯ na ho▫e. ||6||
but without the Name, no one is liberated. ||6||

ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ
जुग चारे नामु उतमु सबदु बीचारि ॥
Jug cẖāre nām uṯam sabaḏ bīcẖār.
Throughout the four ages, the Naam is the ultimate; reflect upon the Word of the Shabad.

ਕਲਿ ਮਹਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਉਤਰਸਿ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੭॥
कलि महि गुरमुखि उतरसि पारि ॥७॥
Kal mėh gurmukẖ uṯras pār. ||7||
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, only the Gurmukhs cross over. ||7||

ਸਾਚਾ ਮਰੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ
साचा मरै न आवै जाइ ॥
Sācẖā marai na āvai jā▫e.
The True Lord does not die; He does not come or go.

ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੮॥੧॥
नानक गुरमुखि रहै समाइ ॥८॥१॥
Nānak gurmukẖ rahai samā▫e. ||8||1||
O Nanak, the Gurmukh remains absorbed in the Lord. ||8||1||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

You are making an excellent point which is conveniently overlooked in so much of the discourse about detachment.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

My dear and respected friend namjap ji
A humble request, it is not necessary to quote Gurbani to say what we want to say because if it is not quoted diligently, what is said in the quoted Guru Vakas, it is not necessarily the same whatever we say. The leftists, hyper rationalists and non Sikhs have tried to twist Guru Message to their own thinking, and when their quotes are analyzed in context of whole Shabadas, truth comes out. We Sikhs too do this but by honestly mistaken. Here my effort is to point out where you missed my point.
You really want to follow Guru, drop your own thinking that over writes Message of Guru conveyed in the quote you have given. It is not an accusation; it is just a request to overcome what we think while focusing on Guru Shabad. Let me prove where you have fallen and made me write this
1., In the following quote you said well and I applaud it
“Little did I realize that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was the friend I was searching for, and who was always with me all along.”
We must give in to SGGS and follow Guru Instructions as if all read and taught were not there in the mind. When our “Me who knows too much” ceases to exist, we will follow Guru Message truly and the start of progression will be felt then within.
Now look why you have fallen in quoting Gurbani in this context
Page 1384, Line 10
ਹਉ ਢੂਢੇਦੀ ਸਜਣਾ ਸਜਣੁ ਮੈਡੇ ਨਾਲਿ ॥[/FONT]हउ[/FONT] ढूढेदी[/FONT] सजणा[/FONT] सजणु[/FONT] मैडे[/FONT] नालि[/FONT] ॥[/FONT]
Ha
▫[/FONT]o dẖ[/FONT]ūdẖ[/FONT]eḏ[/FONT]ī sajṇ[/FONT]ā sajaṇ[/FONT] maide nāl.
I search for my Friend, but my Friend is already with me.”

Namjap Ji, Guru ji talks about our beloved Master who resides within but due to the walls of wrath, lust, anger and greed, we are unable to see Him(M-1). It is Guru who shows HIM within says the next following Guru Vaak
(.ਨਾਨਕ ਅਲਖੁ ਲਖੀਐ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇਇ ਦਿਖਾਲਿ [/FONT]॥[/FONT]੧੨੧॥[/FONT]
नानक[/FONT] अलखु[/FONT] न[/FONT] लखीऐ[/FONT] गुरमुखि[/FONT] देइ[/FONT] दिखालि[/FONT] ॥१२१॥[/FONT]
Nānak alakẖ na lakẖī▫ai gurmukẖ ḏe▫e ḏikẖāl. ||121||[/FONT]
Nanak, the Unseen Lord is seen not; the Exalted Guru shows Him to the mortal.
So you have used this Guru Vaak in concept of Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru is a medium that takes you to HIM. Inside, Guru Nanak found the eternal Guru also known as our eternal beloved Master because he was able to go to HIM unlike us, for us to go to Him; we need Guru the medium, that is Sree Guru Granth Sahib who is not “a friend in side”

2. Your quote
“ All I have been doing is cutting and pasting this shabad and that shabad, failing to recognize that this is the way the Inner True Guru speaks with us. Guru Ji is actually speaking with us as a friend, a father, a mother, a brother. I have been seeking the Guru beyond Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. What a fool I have been.
I agree, when lamp is only lighted from other light, it itself starts glowing, when the lamp is not lighted but other light is used as a base to have the light, its effect disappears when it is taken away, therefore our own lamp must be lighted. From Guru lighting our own lamp is mandatory in this path, eventually it will glow in the same way as does its source. We are just using Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji’s light and do not light our own lamp with it, when, SGGS is away( not in mind), light goes off.

Your quote“So this is the unlearning process which we souls have to go through. We have been taught to be go-getters. The world is just a drama. Searching outside of ourselves only loots our chance to go within to the True Mansion of God.
Yes very true, you have quoted Guru Vaak
Page 13, Line 18
ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ ॥[/FONT]॥[/FONT]
निज[/FONT] घरि[/FONT] महलु[/FONT] पावहु[/FONT] सुख[/FONT] सहजे[/FONT] बहुरि[/FONT] न[/FONT] होइगो[/FONT] फेरा[/FONT] ॥३॥[/FONT]
Nij g
ẖ[/FONT]ar mahal pāvhu sukẖ[/FONT] sėhje bahur na ho▫[/FONT]igo ferā. ||3||
You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||"

Please read the last Guru Vaak of this Guru Shabad, you will understand why lightening own lamp is necessary and how it is possible. Here it is
ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸੁ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ [/FONT]॥[/FONT]॥[/FONT]॥[/FONT]
[/FONT]
नानक[/FONT] [/FONT]दासु[/FONT] [/FONT]इहै[/FONT] [/FONT]सुखु[/FONT] [/FONT]मागै[/FONT] [/FONT]मो[/FONT] [/FONT]कउ[/FONT] [/FONT]करि[/FONT] [/FONT]संतन[/FONT] [/FONT]की[/FONT] [/FONT]धूरे[/FONT] [/FONT]॥४॥५॥[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Nānak ḏās ihai sukẖ māgai mo ka▫o kar sanṯan kī ḏẖūre. ||4||5||[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||4||5||[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Now let’s look at your second fall[/FONT]
You wrote with a Guru quote[/FONT] “[/FONT]He has to be very vigilant and watchful lest any vicious thought may remain lurking in some hidden corner of his mind.
When these vicious thoughts are turned out, they usually hide in some hidden corner of the mind. The poor spiritual traveler wrongly thinks that he has got rid of their mischief, but when he has found the way to the fountain of life and wants to drink from it, they suddenly appear to ruin him.”
To support above statement, here is your quote from Gurbani
Page 403, Line 12
ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੇ ਮੂਸੇ ਤੂੰ ਰਾਖਤ ਪਰਦਾ ਪਾਛੈ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਮਾਨੀ ॥[/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਰਹਾਉ ॥[/FONT]
भ्रम[/FONT] के[/FONT] मूसे[/FONT] तूं[/FONT] राखत[/FONT] परदा[/FONT] पाछै[/FONT] जीअ[/FONT] की[/FONT] मानी[/FONT] ॥१॥[/FONT] रहाउ[/FONT] ॥[/FONT]
Bẖ[/FONT]aram ke mūse ṯ[/FONT]ūʼn rākẖ[/FONT]aṯ[/FONT] parḏ[/FONT]ā pācẖẖ[/FONT]ai jī▫[/FONT]a kī mānī. ||1|| rahā▫[/FONT]o.
Deceived by doubt, you may hide your actions, but in the end, you shall have to confess the secrets of your mind. ||1||Pause||
Namjap ji, this Guru Shabad is not about what you are saying, it is about all pervading and World Watcher our Beloved Master. We can hide nothing from Him that is what this shabad says but you talk about five primal forces that come back to ruin our efforts. It is called quoting Gurbani out of context, it should be stopped.
No intention to criticize you in any way at all, my apologies if you feel so, my only request is to be careful while using Gurbani. Thanks.:)
Regards
G Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

pk70 ji

Your vichaar is important as is the importance of quoting a verse within the entire shabad. But my intuition on NamJap's message is this. There is a kind of attachment that is rarely looked at head on. It is the attachment to religiosity, a form of pride and ego that often is disguised as piety. Those who set out on a strict sadhana. who meditate and who can tell you 50 different ways to meditate, and who are either disgusted with or critical of those who have a simpler approach to dhyann, do not face up to the fact they have attachments and are taken over by at least 2 of the 5 thieves. They can be recognized by the statement: Oh well! you are at your stage of development...meaning they are closer to turiya than you are. NamJap did not come right out and say this -- but I think that is what he was thinking.

Let me post the shabad and then say why this may be what Nam Jap ji is thinking.

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ਦੁਪਦੇ
आसा महला ५ दुपदे ॥
Āsā mėhlā 5 ḏupḏe.
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl Dupadas:

ਲੂਕਿ ਕਮਾਨੋ ਸੋਈ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੇਖਿਓ ਮੂੜ ਮੁਗਧ ਮੁਕਰਾਨੀ
लूकि कमानो सोई तुम्ह पेखिओ मूड़ मुगध मुकरानी ॥
Lūk kamāno so▫ī ṯumĥ pekẖi▫o mūṛ mugaḏẖ mukrānī.
O Lord, You behold whatever we do in secrecy; the fool may stubbornly deny it.

ਆਪ ਕਮਾਨੇ ਕਉ ਲੇ ਬਾਂਧੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਾਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਨੀ ॥੧॥
आप कमाने कउ ले बांधे फिरि पाछै पछुतानी ॥१॥
Āp kamāne ka▫o le bāʼnḏẖe fir pācẖẖai pacẖẖuṯānī. ||1||
By his own actions, he is tied down, and in the end, he regrets and repents. ||1||

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਭ ਬਿਧਿ ਆਗੈ ਜਾਨੀ
प्रभ मेरे सभ बिधि आगै जानी ॥
Parabẖ mere sabẖ biḏẖ āgai jānī.
My God knows, ahead of time, all things.

ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੇ ਮੂਸੇ ਤੂੰ ਰਾਖਤ ਪਰਦਾ ਪਾਛੈ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਮਾਨੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
भ्रम के मूसे तूं राखत परदा पाछै जीअ की मानी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bẖaram ke mūse ṯūʼn rākẖaṯ parḏā pācẖẖai jī▫a kī mānī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਾਗੇ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਕਰੈ ਪਰਾਨੀ
जितु जितु लाए तितु तितु लागे किआ को करै परानी ॥
Jiṯ jiṯ lā▫e ṯiṯ ṯiṯ lāge ki▫ā ko karai parānī.
Whatever they are attached to, they remain joined to that. What can any mere mortal do?

ਬਖਸਿ ਲੈਹੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਦ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ॥੨॥੬॥੧੨੮॥
बखसि लैहु पारब्रहम सुआमी नानक सद कुरबानी ॥२॥६॥१२८॥
Bakẖas laihu pārbarahm su▫āmī Nānak saḏ kurbānī. ||2||6||128||
Please, forgive me, O Supreme Lord Master. Nanak is forever a sacrifice to You.

It is in secrecy that a person can harbor the idea that they are far along, ****her than others, but within there can be doubts, arising from the belief that no one else has anything of value to say about spirituality. Or, they may be so confident in their self-image as a spiritual person that they cannot see how they are unjust or unkind to others. Doubts are there that they cannot face or that torment them even within their spiritual worlds. Attachment to spirituality is attachment and it is founded in ego as any other attachment. The ones who suffer in this way have tied themselves down -- their attachments, their bonds, are of their own making. They hide the imperfections of their faith, devotion, from others, and even from themselves but they cannot hide it from Akaal who pervades all hearts. They cloak their ego in spirituality and judge everyone else. And so they remain joined to their spirituality -- but it is not truthful or pure. In the end they are mere mortals, they suffer, and they are not released. That was immediately my sense when I read respected NamJap's post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Namjap ji, this Guru Shabad is not about what you are saying, it is about all pervading and World Watcher our Beloved Master. We can hide nothing from Him that is what this shabad says but you talk about five primal forces that come back to ruin our efforts. It is called quoting Gurbani out of context, it should be stopped.
No intention to criticize you in any way at all, my apologies if you feel so, my only request is to be careful while using Gurbani. Thanks.:)
Regards
G Singh
PK70 Ji,

I am not that educated to understand what is out of context. What I am greatly influenced by is the life history of the 15 Bhagats who wrote such beautiful bani which could not come out of mind alone but by their shining soul. They are the sandalwood which give out their fragrance to all nearby plants.

Sangat is important. If I stop quoting gurbani, my posts will be passed without notice and there will be no sat sang. The value is from SGGS's bani and the rest is only a futile attempt to chart out a mind map which an aspirant would see as reasonable stream of thought; however insignificant in the beginning, but which would eventually lead one to the ultimate source, the ocean.

I choose to quote gurbani and be corrected by Mentors of SPN. May I call this an unlearning process?

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ
गउड़ी महला ५ ॥
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5.
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ
जो प्राणी गोविंदु धिआवै ॥
Jo parāṇī govinḏ ḏẖi▫āvai.
That mortal who meditates on the Lord of the Universe,

ਪੜਿਆ ਅਣਪੜਿਆ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
पड़िआ अणपड़िआ परम गति पावै ॥१॥
Paṛi▫ā aṇpaṛi▫ā param gaṯ pāvai. ||1||
whether educated or uneducated, obtains the state of supreme dignity. ||1||

ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੋਪਾਲ
साधू संगि सिमरि गोपाल ॥
Sāḏẖū sang simar gopāl.
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, meditate on the Lord of the World.

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਝੂਠਾ ਧਨੁ ਮਾਲੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
बिनु नावै झूठा धनु मालु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bin nāvai jẖūṯẖā ḏẖan māl. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without the Name, wealth and property are false. ||1||Pause||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

No intention to criticize you in any way at all...

You are free to criticize my posts. I want everyone to polish this diamond and remove the soot out.
Baba Fareed Ji says,

Ang 1378

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਥੀਉ ਪਵਾਹੀ ਦਭੁ
फरीदा थीउ पवाही दभु ॥
Farīḏā thī▫o pavāhī ḏabẖ.
Fareed, become the grass on the path,

ਜੇ ਸਾਂਈ ਲੋੜਹਿ ਸਭੁ
जे सांई लोड़हि सभु ॥
Je sāʼn▫ī loṛėh sabẖ.
if you long for the Lord of all.

ਇਕੁ ਛਿਜਹਿ ਬਿਆ ਲਤਾੜੀਅਹਿ
इकु छिजहि बिआ लताड़ीअहि ॥
Ik cẖẖijėh bi▫ā laṯāṛī▫ah.
One will cut you down, and another will trample you underfoot;

ਤਾਂ ਸਾਈ ਦੈ ਦਰਿ ਵਾੜੀਅਹਿ ॥੧੬॥
तां साई दै दरि वाड़ीअहि ॥१६॥
Ŧāʼn sā▫ī ḏai ḏar vāṛī▫ah. ||16||
then, you shall enter the Court of the Lord. ||16||

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Respected namjap Ji
Your intention shows you haven’t realized that quoting Gurbani out of context as proven above in my post is not right thing to do. I never said not to quote Gurbani either.
Nobody is trying to correct or criticize you about your thought but to make you aware of quoting only that Gurbani that supports what you want to say. You sound disturbed, my apologies, you won’t hear from me again in this regard or against whatever you believe is right as I strongly believe that the people who turn blind eye, just pass by them. Thanks for your reacting comments though I didn’t hope from you.
By the way, the Fifth Nanak’s Shabad you have quoted, doesn’t talk about learning or unlearning you are talking about but to contemplate on Him with sincerity in the company of HIS devotees for which it is not necessary to be educated
The second Shabad of Baba Freed ji you quoted, guides us to be humble but you have totally reacted contrary to that and to my humble request. Thanks again. May Waheguru bless you!!!:)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Your intention shows you haven’t realized that quoting Gurbani out of context as proven above in my post is not right thing to do. I never said not to quote Gurbani either.

Nobody is trying to correct or criticize you about your thought but to make you aware of quoting only that Gurbani that supports what you want to say. You sound disturbed, my apologies, you won’t hear from me again in this regard or against whatever you believe is right as I strongly believe that the people who turn blind eye, just pass by them. Thanks for your reacting comments though I didn’t hope from you.
My intention is to reach God. I can still reach God without quoting Gurbani, so long as I follow Gurbani. It is not necessary to quote gurbani at all, but then this thread has to get out of Gurmat Vichaar into another place where we can consider expressing thought as it comes through, without being over cautious.

Let me quote one last Gurbani tuk here then I will perhaps delve into other people's description with regards to the nature of the examples of different stages of 'the journey' -- tapping many different faith traditions rather than one particular dogma.

Ang 70

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੋਨੀ ਥਕੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਪਤਿ ਖੋਈ
पड़ि पड़ि पंडित मोनी थके दूजै भाइ पति खोई ॥
Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ monī thake ḏūjai bẖā▫e paṯ kẖo▫ī.
Reading and studying, the Pandits and the silent sages have grown weary, but attached to the love of duality, they have lost their honor.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਚੇ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਈ ॥੭॥
सतिगुरि सबदु सुणाइआ बिनु सचे अवरु न कोई ॥७॥
Saṯgur sabaḏ suṇā▫i▫ā bin sacẖe avar na ko▫ī. ||7||
The True Guru teaches the Word of the Shabad; without the True One, there is no other at all. ||7||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

For continuation, go to "Journey of Soul Part 2" (Interfaith Dialogues).

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: