• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Journey Of The Soul - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Page 49, Line 13
ਤੋਸਾ ਬੰਧਹੁ ਜੀਅ ਕਾ ਐਥੈ ਓਥੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
तोसा बंधहु जीअ का ऐथै ओथै नालि ॥
Ŧosā banḏẖhu jī▫a kā aithai othai nāl.
For the journey of the soul, gather those supplies
which will go with you here and hereafter.

Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: Journey of Soul

Page 181, Line 9
ਚਰਣ ਕਮਲ ਆਤਮ ਆਧਾਰ ॥
चरण कमल आतम आधार ॥
Cẖaraṇ kamal āṯam āḏẖār.
The Lord's Lotus Feet are the Support of the soul.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=181&L=9&id=7627Page 88, Line 4
ਆਤਮ ਦੇਉ ਪੂਜੀਐ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬੂਝ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥
आतम देउ पूजीऐ बिनु सतिगुर बूझ न पाइ ॥
Āṯam ḏe▫o pūjī▫ai bin saṯgur būjẖ na pā▫e.
So worship the Lord, the Light of the soul;
without the True Guru, understanding is not obtained.
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Page 49, Line 13
ਤੋਸਾ ਬੰਧਹੁ ਜੀਅ ਕਾ ਐਥੈ ਓਥੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
तोसा बंधहु जीअ का ऐथै ओथै नालि ॥
Ŧosā banḏẖhu jī▫a kā aithai othai nāl.
For the journey of the soul, gather those supplies
which will go with you here and hereafter.

KHAYP/ਖੇਪ

ABSTRACT

In Sikh thought, Khayp/ਖੇਪ (Truth) is the earned profitable merchandise of Akal Purkh’s Name with development of virtues, subjugation of vices, and service of the humanity. According to Sabd Guru, it is capable of accompanying an individual upon his death and is the true function of the human birth in this life -- having a human experience. This was the advice given by Guru Arjan in Sri Raag;

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਲਦੇ ਖੇਪ ਸਵਲੀ ॥ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਦਰੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਮਲੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਇ ਮਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਹਰਿ ਲਦੇ ਖੇਪ ਸਵਲੀ ॥

Man pi¬āri¬ā jī¬o miṯrā har laḏė kẖėp savlī. Man pi¬āri¬ā jī¬o miṯrā har ḏar nihcẖal malī.Nānak sikẖ ḏė¬ė man parīṯam har laḏė kẖėp savlī.

O dear beloved mind, my friend, load the profitable cargo of the Akal Purkh's Devotion. O dear beloved mind, my friend, enter through the eternal Door of the Akal Purkh.
Nanak gives this advice: O beloved mind, load the profitable cargo of the Akal Purkh's Devotion.
-----Guru Arjan, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 79-15 & 18
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many references in AGGS on the subject and here are few for ready reference;

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਆਏ ਸੋਈ ਬਿਹਾਝਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਨਹਿ ਬਸੇਰਾ ॥

Jā ka¬o ā¬ė so¬ī bihājẖahu har gur ṯė maneh basėrā.

Purchase only that for which you have come into the world. Through the Guru, the Akal Purkh shall dwell within your mind. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri Poorbi, AGGS, Page, 13-17

ਸਚੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ॥ਦਰਗਹ ਨਿਬਹੈ ਖੇਪ ਤੁਮਾਰੀ ॥ਏਕਾ ਟੇਕ ਰਖਹੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਆਵਹਿ ਜਾਹਿ ॥

Sacẖ vāpār karahu vāpārī, Ḏargeh nibhai kẖėp ṯumārī, Ėkā tėk rakẖahu man māhi, Nānak bahur na āvahi jāhi.

Deal in the true trade, and your merchandise shall be safe in the Court of the Akal Purkh. Keep the Support of the One in your mind. O Nanak, you shall not have to come and go again.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri Sukhmani, AGGS, Page, 293-6

ਜਿਸੁ ਵਖਰ ਕਉ ਲੈਨਿ ਤੂ ਆਇਆ ॥ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਘਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ਲੇਹੁ ਮਨ ਮੋਲਿ ॥ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਮਹਿ ਤੋਲਿ ॥ਲਾਦਿ ਖੇਪ ਸੰਤਹ ਸੰਗਿ ਚਾਲੁ ॥ਅਵਰ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥ਧੰਨਿ ਧੰਨਿ ਕਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ ॥ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਸੋਇ ॥ਇਹੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੈ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਸਦ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ॥

Jis vakẖar ka¬o lain ṯū ā¬i¬ā. Rām nām sanṯan gẖar pā¬i¬ā.Ŧaj abẖimān lėho man mol, Rām nām hirḏė meh ṯol. Lāḏ kẖėp sanṯeh sang cẖāl. Avar ṯi¬āg bikẖi¬ā janjāl. Ḏẖan ḏẖan kahai sabẖ ko¬ė. Mukẖ ūjal har ḏargeh so¬ė. Ih vāpār virlā vāpārai. Nānak ṯā kai saḏ balihārai.

The merchandise, which you have come to obtain, the Akal Purkh's Name, is obtained in the home of the Saints. Renounce your egotistical pride, and with your mind, purchase It's Name. Measure it out within your heart. Load up this merchandise, and set out with the Saints. Give up other corrupt entanglements. “Blessed, blessed”, everyone will call you, and your face shall be radiant in the Court of the Akal Purkh. In this trade, only a few can enter. Nanak is forever a sacrifice to them. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 283

ਕਿਨਹੀ ਬਨਜਿਆ ਕਾਂਸੀ ਤਾਂਬਾ ਕਿਨਹੀ ਲਉਗ ਸੁਪਾਰੀ ॥ਸੰਤਹੁ ਬਨਜਿਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਕਾ ਐਸੀ ਖੇਪ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੇ ਬਿਆਪਾਰੀ ॥ਹੀਰਾ ਹਾਥਿ ਚੜਿਆ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੁ ਛੂਟਿ ਗਈ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ॥ਸਾਚੇ ਲਾਏ ਤਉ ਸਚ ਲਾਗੇ ਸਾਚੇ ਕੇ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ ॥ ਸਾਚੀ ਬਸਤੁ ਕੇ ਭਾਰ ਚਲਾਏ ਪਹੁਚੇ ਜਾਇ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ ॥ਆਪਹਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਨਿਕ ਆਪੈ ਹੈ ਪਾਸਾਰੀ ॥ਆਪੈ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਆਪ ਚਲਾਵੈ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹੈ ਬਿਆਪਾਰੀ ॥ਮਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਬੈਲੁ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਪੈਡਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਗੋਨਿ ਭਰਿ ਡਾਰੀ ॥ਕਹਤੁ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਰੇ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਨਿਬਹੀ ਖੇਪ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥

Kinhī banji¬ā kāʼnsī ṯāʼnbā kinhī la¬ug supārī. Sanṯahu banji¬ā nām gobiḏ kā aisī kẖėp hamārī. Har kė nām kė bi¬āpārī. Hīrā hāth cẖaṛi¬ā nirmolak cẖẖūt ga¬ī sansārī. Sācẖė lā¬ė ṯa¬o sacẖ lāgė sācẖė kė bi¬uhārī. Sācẖī basaṯ kė bẖār cẖalā¬ė pahucẖė jā¬ė bẖandārī. Āpeh raṯan javāhar mānik āpai hai pāsārī. Āpai ḏah ḏis āp cẖalāvai nihcẖal hai bi¬āpārī. Man kar bail suraṯ kar paidā gi¬ān gon bẖar dārī. Kahaṯ Kabīr sunhu rė sanṯahu nibhī kẖėp hamārī.

Some deal in bronze and copper, some in cloves and betel nuts. The Saints deal in the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh of the Universe. Such is my merchandise as well. I am a trader in the Name of the God. The priceless diamond has come into my hands. I have left the world behind. When the True Master attached me, then I was attached to Truth. I am a trader of Its Name. I have loaded the commodity of Truth. It has reached the Akal Purkh, the Treasurer, Who is the pearl, the jewel, the ruby, and the jeweler, and It self spreads out in the ten directions. The Merchant is Eternal and Unchanging. My mind is the bull, and meditation is the road. I have filled my packs with spiritual wisdom, and loaded them on the bull. Says Kabir, listen, O Saints, my merchandise has reached its destination! -----Kabir, Raag Kedara, AGGS, Page, 1123

ਨਿਬਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਸਚੁ ਖੇਪ ॥ਲਾਭੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ ਨਿਧਿ ਧਨੁ ਬਿਖੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਅਲੇਪ ॥

Nibhī nām kī sacẖ kẖėp. Lābẖ har guṇ gā¬ė niḏẖ ḏẖan bikẖai māhi alėp.

Only the true merchandise of the Naam stays with you. Sing the Glorious Praises of the Akal Purkh, the treasure of wealth, and earn your profit. In the midst of corruption, it remains untouched. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Sarag, AGGS, Page, 1226-13

ਵਖਰੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਦਿ ਖੇਪ ਚਲਾਵਹੁ ॥ਲੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਘਰਿ ਆਵਹੁ ॥ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਾਹੁ ਸਿਖ ਵਣਜਾਰੇ ॥ਪੂੰਜੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇਖਾ ਸਾਚੁ ਸਮ੍ਹਾਰੇ ॥

vakẖar nām laḏ kẖėp cẖalāvahu. Lai lāhā gurmukẖ gẖar āvhu. Saṯgur sāhu sikẖ vaṇjārė. Pūnjī nām lėkẖā sācẖ samĥārė.

So load the merchandise of the Naam, and set sail with your cargo. Earn your profit, as Gurmukh, and you shall return to your own home. The True Guru is the Banker, and his Sikhs are the traders. Their merchandise is the Naam, and meditation on the It is their account.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 430-17

ਪਰਦੇਸੁ ਝਾਗਿ ਸਉਦੇ ਕਉ ਆਇਆ ॥ਵਸਤੁ ਅਨੂਪ ਸੁਣੀ ਲਾਭਾਇਆ ॥ਗੁਣ ਰਾਸਿ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਪਲੈ ਆਨੀ ॥ਦੇਖਿ ਰਤਨੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲਪਟਾਨੀ ॥ਸਾਹ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਆਏ ॥ਵਖਰੁ ਕਾਢਹੁ ਸਉਦਾ ਕਰਾਏ ॥ਸਾਹਿ ਪਠਾਇਆ ਸਾਹੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥ ਅਮੋਲ ਰਤਨ ਅਮੋਲਾ ਰਾਸਿ ॥ਵਿਸਟੁ ਸੁਭਾਈ ਪਾਇਆ ਮੀਤ ॥ਸਉਦਾ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਨਿਹਚਲ ਚੀਤ ॥ਭਉ ਨਹੀ ਤਸਕਰ ਪਉਣ ਨ ਪਾਨੀ ॥ਸਹਜਿ ਵਿਹਾਝੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਲੈ ਜਾਨੀ ॥ਸਤ ਕੈ ਖਟਿਐ ਦੁਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ਸਹੀ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਘਰਿ ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ॥ਮਿਲਿਆ ਲਾਹਾ ਭਏ ਅਨੰਦ ॥ਧੰਨੁ ਸਾਹ ਪੂਰੇ ਬਖਸਿੰਦ ॥ਇਹੁ ਸਉਦਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕਿਨੈ ਵਿਰਲੈ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ਸਹਲੀ ਖੇਪ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ॥

Parḏės jẖāg sa¬uḏė ka¬o ā¬i¬ā. vasaṯ anūp suṇī lābẖā¬i¬ā. Guṇ rās baneh palai ānī. Ḏėkẖ raṯan ih man laptānī. Sāh vāpārī ḏu¬ārai ā¬ė. vakẖar kādẖahu sa¬uḏā karā¬ė. Sāhi paṯẖā¬i¬ā sāhai pās. Amol raṯan amolā rās. visat subẖā¬ī pā¬i¬ā mīṯ. Sa¬uḏā mili¬ā nihcẖal cẖīṯ. Bẖa¬o nahī ṯaskar pa¬uṇ na pānī. Sahj vihājī sahj lai jānī. Saṯ kai kẖati¬ai ḏukẖ nahī pā¬i¬ā. Sahī salāmaṯ gẖar lai ā¬i¬ā. Mili¬ā lāhā bẖa¬ė anand. Ḏẖan sāh pūrė bakẖsinḏ. Ih sa¬uḏā gurmukẖ kinai virlai pā¬i¬ā. Sahlī kẖėp Nānak lai ā¬i¬ā.

Having wandered through foreign lands, I have come here to do business. I heard of the incomparable and profitable merchandise. I have gathered in my pockets my capital of virtue, and I have brought it here with me. Beholding the jewel, this mind is fascinated. I have come to the door of the Trader. Please display the merchandise, so that the business may be transacted. The Trader has sent me to the Banker. The jewel is priceless, and the capital is priceless. O my gentle brother, mediator and friend, I have obtained the merchandise. And my consciousness is now steady and stable. I have no fear of thieves, of wind or water. I have easily made my purchase, and I easily take it away. I have earned Truth, and I shall have no pain. I have brought this merchandise home, safe and sound. I have earned the profit, and I am happy. Blessed is the Banker, the Perfect Bestower. How rare is the Gurmukh who obtains this merchandise. Nanak has brought this profitable merchandise home. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 372

ਖੇਪ ਨਿਬਾਹੀ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਲਾਭ ਘਰਿ ਆਏ ਪਤਿਵੰਤ ॥ਖਰਾ ਦਿਲਾਸਾ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਆਇ ਮਿਲੇ ਭਗਵੰਤ ॥

Kẖėp nibāhī bahuṯ lābẖ gẖar ā¬ė paṯivanṯ. Kẖarā ḏilāsā gur ḏī¬ā ā¬ė milė bẖagvanṯ.

My merchandise has arrived safely, and I have made a great profit; I have returned home with honor. The Guru has given me great consolation, and the Akal Purkh has come to meet me.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 261-9

ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦੁ ਦਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਧਾਰੀ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਬਹੀ ਖੇਪ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥

Kar parsāḏ ḏa¬i¬ā parabẖ ḏẖārī. Nānak nibhī kẖėp hamārī.

By Its Grace, Akal Purkh has bestowed Its Mercy. O Nanak, my merchandise has arrived safe and sound. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 295-15

Conclusion:

Recitation of the True Naam can be done by anyone irrespective of the caste, color, gender or any other criterion, by developing right thoughts as a first step towards spirituality. Thought is created in the mind and is itself energy. When this energy is harnessed to reflect on and deliberate on the teachings in Sabd Guru, it leads to enlightenment, divine knowledge and spirituality. Thus an individual taps an unsuspected inner resource. He may presently identify this with his own conception of a Power greater than himself. Most of us regard this awareness of a Power greater than ourselves as the essence of spiritual experience or “Good Orderly Direction” or "God-consciousness." This can lead to a complete removal of spiritual ignorance -- earning the profitable merchandise, capable of going along with a person after his death.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਖੇਪ ਨਿਬਾਹੀ ਸੰਤਹੁ ॥ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਾਹਾ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਦੀਆ ਸਗਲੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਉਲਾਹੀ ਸੰਤਹੁ ॥

Saṯgur kẖėp nibāhī sanṯahu. Har nām lāhā ḏās ka¬o ḏī¬ā saglī ṯarisan ulāhī sanṯahu.

The True Guru has approved my cargo, O Saints. He has blessed his slave with the profit of the Akal Purkh's Name; all my thirst is quenched, O Saints.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 916-7

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Now we have been briefed about ourselves and are ready to embark on this journey into the realms of duality. Of course, we've never been there before and we are all excited to learn something new. Our journey from Atma Khand to destination Gian Khand - the realm of learning.

We have been assured that our Father, Lord God creator will be with us all the time.

Page 376, Line 5
ਨਿਕਟਿ ਜੀਅ ਕੈ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਸੰਗਾ ॥
निकटि जीअ कै सद ही संगा ॥
Nikat jī▫a kai saḏ hī sangā.
He is near at hand; He is the eternal Companion of the soul.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

One day Soul woke up and realized that It had been eons or light years It had not returned back home. The great yearning to return home was like an unfulfilled desire always prevalent within Itself in the human body.

Page 65, Line 9
ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਭਾ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਦੇਇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੮॥੧॥੧੮॥
नानक सोभा सुरति देइ प्रभु आपे गुरमुखि दे वडिआई ॥८॥१॥१८॥
Nānak sobẖā suraṯ ḏe▫e parabẖ āpe gurmukẖ ḏe vadi▫ā▫ī. ||8||1||18||
O Nanak, God blesses us with the sublime awakening of consciousness; He Himself grants glorious greatness to the Gurmukh. ||8||1||18||
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Page 133, Line 6
ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਰਮ ਕੇ ਵੀਛੁੜੇ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੇਲਹੁ ਰਾਮ ॥
किरति करम के वीछुड़े करि किरपा मेलहु राम ॥
Kiraṯ karam ke vīcẖẖuṛe kar kirpā melhu rām.
By the actions we have committed, we are separated from You. Please show Your Mercy, and unite us with Yourself, Lord.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: Journey of the Soul

Page 1203, Line 13
ਆਇਓ ਲਾਭੁ ਲਾਭਨ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ਮੋਹਨਿ ਠਾਗਉਰੀ ਸਿਉ ਉਲਝਿ ਪਹਾ ॥
आइओ लाभु लाभन कै ताई मोहनि ठागउरी सिउ उलझि पहा ॥
Ā▫i▫o lābẖ lābẖan kai ṯā▫ī mohan ṯẖāga▫urī si▫o ulajẖ pahā.
He comes in search of profits, but he is entangled in the enticing illusion of Maya.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Page 12, Line 8
ਜਨਮੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਜਾਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
जनमु ब्रिथा जात रंगि माइआ कै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Janam baritha jāṯ rang mā▫i▫ā kai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
You are squandering this life uselessly in the love of Maya. ||1||Pause||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Soul comes in contact with Sikhism and the Eternal and Everlasting True Guru
guides soul along explaining why, It has to change its course of direction.

Page 219, Line 15
ਮਾਨਸ ਜਨਮੁ ਅਮੋਲਕੁ ਪਾਇਓ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਕਾਹਿ ਗਵਾਵਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
मानस जनमु अमोलकु पाइओ बिरथा काहि गवावउ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Mānas janam amolak pā▫i▫o birthā kāhi gavāva▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.
You have obtained the priceless jewel of this human life; why are you uselessly wasting it? ||1||Pause||
Guru Teg Bahadur - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Namjap ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please define/explain/ elaborate what SOUL means in lay man's terms?

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

From then on, Soul takes the guidance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

The Guru explains to its student, Soul:

Page 33, Line 2
ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਣੇ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਖੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
बिनु बूझे करम कमावणे जनमु पदारथु खोइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bin būjẖe karam kamāvṇe janam paḏārath kẖo▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
To act without understanding is to lose the treasure of this human life. ||1||Pause||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Namjap ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please define/explain/ elaborate what SOUL means in lay man's terms?

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh Ji,

How timely you asked this question.
Understanding of ourselves is important in this world of duality.
In Gauri Sukhmani Mehla 5, it is explained:

Page 266, Line 18
ਕਵਨ ਮੂਲ ਤੇ ਕਵਨ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਨੀ ॥
कवन मूल ते कवन द्रिसटानी ॥
Kavan mūl ṯe kavan ḏaristānī.
what is your origin, and what is your appearance?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Tejwant Singh Ji,

How timely you asked this question. Understanding of ourselves is important in this world of duality. In Gauri Sukhmani Mehla 5, it is explained:

Page 266, Line 18
ਕਵਨ ਮੂਲ ਤੇ ਕਵਨ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਨੀ ॥
कवन मूल ते कवन द्रिसटानी ॥
Kavan mūl ṯe kavan ḏaristānī.
what is your origin, and what is your appearance?

Namjap ji

Guru fateh.

Is Guru you asking about Soul in the above? If he is then what is it? Can you please define in lay man's terms because that is the thread you started with," Journey of the Soul"?

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

And if Soul asks, we are supposed to know ourselves, our origin and Guru Ji explains that we are in the image of God Himself.

Page 441, Line 6
ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥
इउ कहै नानकु मन तूं जोति सरूपु है अपणा मूलु पछाणु ॥५॥
I▫o kahai Nānak man ṯūʼn joṯ sarūp hai apṇā mūl pacẖẖāṇ. ||5||
Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are the very image of the Luminous Lord; recognize the true origin of your self. ||5||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Tejwant Singh Ji,

It is not easy to explain Soul, as it cannot be explained in mortal language;
the effervescence and brilliance of Soul itself, as described in Japji :

Page 8, Line 1
ਤਾ ਕੀਆ ਗਲਾ ਕਥੀਆ ਨਾ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
ता कीआ गला कथीआ ना जाहि ॥
Ŧā kī▫ā galā kathī▫ā nā jāhi.
These things cannot be described.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Page 7, Line 14
ਨਾਨਕ ਗਇਆ ਜਾਪੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੩੪॥
नानक गइआ जापै जाइ ॥३४॥
Nānak ga▫i▫ā jāpai jā▫e. ||34||
O Nanak, one shall see and understand this only when one goes There. ||34||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Dear Sir,

Guru Nanak, ponders in Raag Malar on the next life, AGGS, Page, 1289-6:

ਕਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਆਇਆ ਕਹਾਂ ਏਹੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਤ ਰਹੈ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ਹੁਕਮੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਤਤੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ Kahāʼn ṯė ā¬i¬ā kahāʼn ėhu jāṇ.Jīvaṯ maraṯ rahai parvāṇ.Hukmai būjẖai ṯaṯ pacẖẖāṇai.Ih parsāḏ gurū ṯė jāṇai.

Where has he come from, and where will he go? Remaining dead while yet alive is accepted and approved. Whoever understands the Akal Purkh's Command, realizes the essence of reality, only known by Guru's Grace.

Guru Nanak ponders in Ragas Gauri & Sarang:

ਜਾਤੋ ਜਾਇ ਕਹਾ ਤੇ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਕਹ ਉਪਜੈ ਕਹ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਬਾਧਿਓ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਕਤੀ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥
Jāṯo jā¬ė kahā ṯė āvai.Kah upjai kah jā¬ė samāvai.Ki¬o bāḏẖi¬o ki¬o mukṯī pāvai.
Ki¬o abẖināsī sahj samāvai.

How can we know where we came from? Where did we originate, and where will we go and merge? How are we bound, and how do we obtain liberation? How do we merge with intuitive ease into the Eternal, Akal Purkh? -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152-15

Guru Nanak Answers in Raag Gauri:

ਸਹਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਸਹਜੇ ਜਾਇ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਉਪਜੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤੋ ਬੰਧੁ ਨ ਪਾਇ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ਛੁਟੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਇ Sehjė āvai sehjė jā­ė.Man ė upjai man māhi samā­ė.Gurmuk muko banḏẖ na pā­ė.Saba bīcār cẖẖutai har nā­ė.

With intuitive ease, we come, and with intuitive ease, we depart. From the mind, we originate, and into the mind, we are absorbed. As Guru willed, we are liberated, and are not bound. Contemplating the Word of the Sabd, we are emancipated through the Name of the Akal Purkh.

ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ਬਿਨੁ ਮੂਏ ਕਿਉ ਪੂਰਾ ਹੋਇ
Saba
marai fir mara na ho­ė. Bin mū­ė ki­o pūrā ho­ė.

One, who dies in the Word of the Sabd, shall never again have to die. Without such a death, how can one attain perfection? -----Guru Nanak Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152 & 153

Virinder

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Wonderful, ji :idea:

Dear Sir,

Guru Nanak, ponders in Raag Malar on the next life, AGGS, Page, 1289-6:

ਕਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਆਇਆ ਕਹਾਂ ਏਹੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਤ ਰਹੈ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ਹੁਕਮੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਤਤੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ Kahāʼn ṯė ā¬i¬ā kahāʼn ėhu jāṇ.Jīvaṯ maraṯ rahai parvāṇ.Hukmai būjẖai ṯaṯ pacẖẖāṇai.Ih parsāḏ gurū ṯė jāṇai.

Where has he come from, and where will he go? Remaining dead while yet alive is accepted and approved. Whoever understands the Akal Purkh's Command, realizes the essence of reality, only known by Guru's Grace.

Guru Nanak ponders in Ragas Gauri & Sarang:

ਜਾਤੋ ਜਾਇ ਕਹਾ ਤੇ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਕਹ ਉਪਜੈ ਕਹ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਬਾਧਿਓ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਕਤੀ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥
Jāṯo jā¬ė kahā ṯė āvai.Kah upjai kah jā¬ė samāvai.Ki¬o bāḏẖi¬o ki¬o mukṯī pāvai.
Ki¬o abẖināsī sahj samāvai.

How can we know where we came from? Where did we originate, and where will we go and merge? How are we bound, and how do we obtain liberation? How do we merge with intuitive ease into the Eternal, Akal Purkh? -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152-15

Guru Nanak Answers in Raag Gauri:

ਸਹਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਸਹਜੇਜਾਇ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਉਪਜੈ ਮਨਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤੋਬੰਧੁ ਨ ਪਾਇ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿਛੁਟੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਇ Sehjė āvai sehjė jā*ė.Man ė upjai man māhi samā*ė.Gurmuk muko banḏẖ na pā*ė.Saba bīcār cẖẖutai har nā*ė.

With intuitive ease, we come, and with intuitive ease, we depart.From the mind, we originate, and into the mind, we are absorbed.As Guru willed, we are liberated, and are not bound. Contemplating the Word of the Sabd, we are emancipated through the Name of the Akal Purkh.

ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇਬਿਨੁ ਮੂਏ ਕਿਉਪੂਰਾ ਹੋਇ
Saba
marai fir mara na ho*ė. Bin mū*ė ki*o pūrā ho*ė.

One, who dies in the Word of the Sabd, shall never again have to die. Without such a death, how can one attain perfection? -----Guru Nanak Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152 & 153

Virinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM