• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pauri 4 Japji Sahib - Pauri 4

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SSA

I understand that fundamentalist Sikh is is hard to expect that other religion can have some thing good. Long time ago I was there.

What is a fundamentalist Sikh?

Is there a difference between "bad" and "inconsistent with Sikhi?"

And why post about the Lord's Prayer on a thread about Japuji Sahib? We don't use the text of faith x to explain Shabad Guru in the Sikh Scriptures forum.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Has anyone ever read the Bani by Guru nanak ji sahib thats titled OANgKAAR !! Its in Raag Dakhnni and erroneously referred to as Bani Dakhnni Oangkaar by most ...Thats simialr to calling Sukhmani sahib as "Gaurree Sukhmani" !!

This Bani serves to erase all doubts Seeker3 Ji raised above..

NOTE: If we continue reading Bani “Dakhni Onkaar/Omkaar”, in stanza number 5, Guru Nanak Dev talks about all pervading Creator, and addresses Him as “Ikkankar, which is exactly the guide to pronounce ; let’s look at that first.

ਏਕੋ ਏਕੁ ਕਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਰਬੁ ਵਿਆਪੈ ॥ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਇਉ ਘਰੁ ਮਹਲੁ ਸਿਞਾਪੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਨੇੜੈ ਹਰਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਏਕੋ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਬਾਈ ॥ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੁ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੫॥
Ėko ek kahai sabẖ ko▫ī ha▫umai garab vi▫āpai. Anṯar bāhar ek pacẖẖāṇai i▫o gẖar mahal siñāpai. Parabẖ neṛai har ḏūr na jāṇhu eko sarisat sabā▫ī. Ėkankār avar nahī ḏūjā Nānak ek samā▫ī. ||5||

In Essence: Though all say the Almighty is but one; however, they remain engrossed in conceit (In fact). If one realizes that the Almighty is the same, who pervades within us and out, only then one can find His home within. Akalpurakh is very close; do not consider Him away, because He is the only one who pervades in the whole world. Nanak says that there is none other than “EKKANKAR ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ /” who is permeated in all.
2. ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਉਤਪਤਿ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰੁ ਕੀਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸੈਲ ਜੁਗ ਭਏ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬੇਦ ਨਿਰਮਏ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਉਧਰੇ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਤਰੇ ॥ ਓਨਮ ਅਖਰ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਓਨਮ ਅਖਰੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
O▫ankār barahmā uṯpaṯ. O▫ankār kī▫ā jin cẖiṯ. O▫ankār sail jug bẖa▫e. O▫ankār beḏ nirma▫e. O▫ankār sabaḏ uḏẖre. O▫ankār gurmukẖ ṯare. Onam akẖar suṇhu bīcẖār. Onam akẖar ṯaribẖavaṇ sār. ||1||

In Essence: Brahma was created by Onkaar whom[Onkaar] Brahma cherished in his mind. The mountains and the different yugas have come into existence from Him [Onkaar], He [Onkaar] is the cause of Vedas’ creation [it is just an expression of the concept of His Ordinance] Onkaar saved the world with Shabada [concept of His Grace]. Through Onkaar [with His blessings] Guru - followers were saved [Importance of Guru]. Ponder over and listen about the “word onam” [addressed to Pundit] , this word is for that power that is an essence of whole world. [Obviously Guru Nanak Dev is saying that this word belongs to all pervading Creator not to a certain deity, ponder over it and do not limit it to your thought]
3. Guru Nanak Dev is addressing those people who write “onam nameh” to idols, and makes it clear that the Brahma well known - Devta was His creation, who kept Akalpurakh in his mind, mountains [earth], ages and Vedas came into existence due to Him [due to His Will], literally Guru Nanak Dev is defining His Hukam/Ordinance. There is the word “Shabad” [Indication is about His grace, which is materialized through Guru] through which many were saved. So it is important to know that whom Pundit addresses “onam nameh”, actually is not “Onkaar/Omkaar”, Pundit is mistaken because Onkaar is the Creator of all including the entity the Pundit pays tribute t; Onkaar is the essence of the whole world. Literally Onkaar gets new meaning by Guru Nanak Dev.

Read through the entire Bani and one will see thats its NOT OM-KAAR at all...even though Guru Nanak ji has no
lose face" if He did indeed
copy or cut and paste"..unlike US...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Further...
“ੴ” is written as “Ekkankar” throughout Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I quote here Fifth Nanak literally defining ੴ as Prabh,
On 276 SGGS

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਖਾਣੀ ਅਰੁ ਖੰਡ ॥ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਕਾਸ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ॥ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਹੋਏ ਅਵਤਾਰ ॥ ਕਈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਕੀਨੋ ਬਿਸਥਾਰ ॥ ਕਈ ਬਾਰ ਪਸਰਿਓ ਪਾਸਾਰ ॥ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਇਕੁ ਏਕੰਕਾਰ ॥ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕੀਨੇ ਬਹੁ ਭਾਤਿ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਤਿ ॥ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਇ ॥੭॥
Ka▫ī kot kẖāṇī ar kẖand. Ka▫ī kot akās barahmand. Ka▫ī kot ho▫e avṯār. Ka▫ī jugaṯ kīno bisthār. Ka▫ī bār pasri▫o pāsār. Saḏā saḏā ik ekankār. Ka▫ī kot kīne baho bẖāṯ. Parabẖ ṯe ho▫e parabẖ māhi samāṯ. Ŧā kā anṯ na jānai ko▫e. Āpe āp Nānak parabẖ so▫e. ||7||

In Essence: There have been many millions of various lives and realms, many millions of skies and cosmos, many millions births of beings, thus in many ways the Creator has unfolded, many times He expended His expansion, forever and ever, He has been only the one Creator [Ekkankar]. Many millions of kinds of creation He created, all emanate from Prabh and merge in Him eventually. No one knows His limits; Nanak says Akalpurakh is all by Himself.

Above the concept of Ekkankar is expressed in detail , in no way Ikkankar or Ekkankar has any limit like of trinity concept. Still it is used in context of Prabh, the Creator.

Bhai Gurdas actually rightful way explains why Guru Nanak Dev uses “1”with “OOrha” without guessing unlike others. Bhai Gurdas writes:

ਏਕਾ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੇਖਾਲਿਆ ।
aykaa aykankaaruz|ikhi daykhaaliaa|

By writing 1 (One number) in the beginning, Ekkankar is defined as the one only [This is the right pronunciation of ੴ]
ਊੜਾ ਓਅੰਕਾਰੁ ਪਾਸਿ ਬਹਾਲਿਆ ।
oorhaa aoankaaru paasi bahaaliaa|
oorhaa aoankaaru paasi bahaaliaa|
[With the first number], and by using “oorha” as “Onkaar” with it, [idea continues]
ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਭਾਲਿਆ ।
sati naamu karataaru nirabhau bhaaliaa|
The True Name of fearless Creator is made understood.
ਨਿਰਵੈਰਹੁ ਜੈਕਾਰੁ ਅਜੂਨਿ ਅਕਾਲਿਆ ।
niravairahu jaikaaru ajooni akaaliaa|
and also it is explained that the Creator is beyond enmity, birth [and death]. [Vaaran Bhai Gurdas]

As we go through Sri Guru Granth Sahib, we will find the use of “Ekkankar” just as we understand the meaning of ੴ by Gurus including Guru Nanak Dev on 30, 53, 85, 189, 222,227, 276, 284, 294, 296, 381, 507, 608, 688, 736, 782,, 821, 838, 901, 904, 905, 916, 930, 999,1034 and 1039, SGGS.

So Bhai Gurdas gets help from Gurbani/in Guru’s own words only. What Bhai Gurdas has written about it, is genuine and above all guesses, he is very much aware of what he is saying, it would be highly unlikely that he wouldn’t have asked Guru Arjun Dev Ji about the pronunciation of ੴ.

The SGGS must be searched WITHIN for any queries or answers...there is no need to go look elsewhere..be it vedas or purans or pandits mouthing OM OM Aum etc...:redturban::)
“Sikhi/ is a way of living in Creator’s love” well defined through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji; it has nothing to do with previous faiths or philosophies; if Parma Nanda or other individuals want to claim that Guru Nanak Dev has no new knowledge , it is their problem; in “Sattyarth”, Arrya Smaji Daya Nand calls Guru Nanak Dev “an atheist” because such people’s egoist agenda is to tell the world that they found the Creator first, and they never realized that there could have been civilizations, which existed before Hindus, and could have been destroyed thousands years before them. Still unknown civilizations are buried out there, we would never find to what spiritual peak people might have reached. Knowledge of the Creator comes to those upon whom He bestows His grace; it might have come to many another parts of the planet as well. Clouding enlightened ones’ views becomes agenda of those who are diseased with conceit. Look at an eminent Sikh Historian Khushwant Singh; he considers the word “Ram” “Seeta” used in Jap Ji for Ram Chandra ji and Seeta Ji. All other Names like Krishn, Braham, Narrain used for all pervading “Ikkankar”in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, are interpreted by such kind of people as Hindu – Gods or concept of Gods. We cannot stop fundamentalist - Hindus or people with such agenda calling Sikhs Hindus though openly Fifth Nanak declares that Sikhs are not Hindu [1136 SGGS]. Who are they to judge this path anyway when Fifth Nanak explains once for all that Guru Nanak - path is neither Hinduism nor Islam? This declaration is right there in Sri Guru Granth Sahib but they don’t accept it, and keep playing with the words; it is their psychiatric – games; Sikhs know that they cannot, and they don’t worship idols or believe in any of them. By guessing and giving new meanings to ੴ by articulating it differently is nothing but a muscular game of mind. What Dr Sahib Singh ji says about the meaning of “Kaar” in context of “Ekkankar” sounds right as we see Guru Nanak Dev and his descendants using “Ekkankar” as “all continuously pervading power”? When Dr Sahib Singh quotes “Sanskrit word” he defines it as it is interpreted in Sanskrit but when “Kaar” is used in context of “work” he uses it in that sense, how anyone can prove him wrong, what is the base? Is it that “one word has one meaning” technique that should be a base to understand a language?
Talking about originality of Guru Nanak Dev, there is no evidence that any one ever used “Ekkankar” before, so that is original, If we take Parma Nanda’s own words and accept that Guru Nanak Dev has added one [number] with Omkaar/Onkaar to express “oneness” of Onkaar, it becomes more clear that all Hindu Seers before Guru Nanak Dev were wrong, because they failed to define Creator’s oneness, isn’t it originality? Guru Nanak Dev is not interested in who is the first to know Him, he doesn’t question all the prevailed Hindu and Ibrahim - faiths; however, it is the mountain of hypocrisy in all faiths he questions. If “Onkaar” comes from ancient belief, Guru also informs us that in the Vedas, worshipping of the Creator is indicated, but people have forgotten [919 SGGS]. Bhai Gurdas, Dr Sahib Singh and other Scholars are not incorrect in defining “ੴ/ as “Ekkankar/Ikkankaar. Guru nanak ji doesnt lose face..we DO.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Has anyone read the Bani thats NAMED OANgKAAR !! Its in Raag Dkahnni and mistakenly referred to as DAKHNNI Oangkaar !! In this Gurbnai GURU NANAK JI SAHIB uses the WORD "OANgKAAR" to explain the SYMBOL OANgKAAR.

ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਉਤਪਤਿ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰੁ ਕੀਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸੈਲ ਜੁਗ ਭਏ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬੇਦ ਨਿਰਮਏ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਉਧਰੇ ॥ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਤਰੇ ॥ ਓਨਮ ਅਖਰ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਓਨਮ ਅਖਰੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
O▫ankār barahmā uṯpaṯ. O▫ankār kī▫ā jin cẖiṯ. O▫ankār sail jug bẖa▫e. O▫ankār beḏ nirma▫e. O▫ankār sabaḏ uḏẖre. O▫ankār gurmukẖ ṯare. Onam akẖar suṇhu bīcẖār. Onam akẖar ṯaribẖavaṇ sār. ||1||

In Essence: Brahma was created by Onkaar whom[Onkaar] Brahma cherished in his mind. The mountains and the different yugas have come into existence from Him [Onkaar], He [Onkaar] is the cause of Vedas’ creation [it is just an expression of the concept of His Ordinance] Onkaar saved the world with Shabada [concept of His Grace]. Through Onkaar [with His blessings] Guru - followers were saved [Importance of Guru]. Ponder over and listen about the “word onam” [addressed to Pundit] , this word is for that power that is an essence of whole world. [Obviously Guru Nanak Dev is saying that this word belongs to all pervading Creator not to a certain deity, ponder over it and do not limit it to your thought]

If we continue reading Bani “Dakhni Onkaar/Omkaar”, in stanza number 5, Guru Nanak Dev talks about all pervading Creator, and addresses Him as “Ikkankar, which is exactly the guide to pronounce ; let’s look at that first.

ਏਕੋ ਏਕੁ ਕਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਰਬੁ ਵਿਆਪੈ ॥ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਇਉ ਘਰੁ ਮਹਲੁ ਸਿਞਾਪੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਨੇੜੈ ਹਰਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਏਕੋ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਬਾਈ ॥ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੁ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੫॥
Ėko ek kahai sabẖ ko▫ī ha▫umai garab vi▫āpai. Anṯar bāhar ek pacẖẖāṇai i▫o gẖar mahal siñāpai. Parabẖ neṛai har ḏūr na jāṇhu eko sarisat sabā▫ī. Ėkankār avar nahī ḏūjā Nānak ek samā▫ī. ||5||

In Essence: Though all say the Almighty is but one; however, they remain engrossed in conceit (In fact). If one realizes that the Almighty is the same, who pervades within us and out, only then one can find His home within. Akalpurakh is very close; do not consider Him away, because He is the only one who pervades in the whole world. Nanak says that there is none other than “EKKANKAR ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ /” who is permeated in all.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Re: Japji Sahib - Pauri 4 - Guru Granth Sahib

In my opinion,

The Lord's Prayer of the Christians in every line contradicts the message of Guru Nanak.

Our Father who art in Heaven
In Sikhi Akaal is not a father and there is no heaven because Akaal has no need of a special abode.

Spnadmin - please permit me to make slight correction. As per gurbani 'mata mat pita santokh - thus father stands for contentment.

best regards
sahni

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Sahni ji,

Guru Fateh.

Pardon my ignorance, but I am a bit confused about your response to Spnadmin ji. I would need some clarifications from you if you do not mind.

Spnadmin ji wrote:

Originally Posted by spnadmin View Post
In my opinion,

The Lord's Prayer of the Christians in every line contradicts the message of Guru Nanak.

Our Father who art in Heaven
In Sikhi Akaal is not a father and there is no heaven because Akaal has no need of a special abode

What I understand from Spnadmin ji's post is that Akaal is not a deity as a father figure and there is not any Hell or Heaven in Sikhi.

You write:

Spnadmin - please permit me to make slight correction. As per gurbani 'mata mat pita santokh - thus father stands for contentment.

best regards
sahni

What you said is true according to Gurbani but I fail to understand the connection between the two. Please keep in mind that in Gurbani, Father and Mother are used as metaphors, not literal.

Whereas in the Lord's prayer, Father is literal, a deity.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Tejwantji

I understand what Saini was telling me. He has responded to something I wrote in the past the same way about planting a field of karmas. He is teasing me just a little bit -- dry humour, a wink, and a subtle idea that adds to the depth of the vichaar.

Saini ji has the talent of saying a lot in one sentence or two. I on the other hand ramble endlessly. Here is what I understand.

First I said that Akaal is not a father. To that Saini added the Punjabi tuk "mata mat pita santokh. At first it seems to contradict. But when I read it again, it fits with what I wrote but takes it further. Our mother is wisdom; our father is contentment. My understanding - Akaal is not a person, not a father and not a mother; yet Akaal is both mother and father. He is mata/wisdom and in that wisdom we find pita/contentment --- very different idea of God from the "Lord's prayer."

Saini ji always makes me laugh when he does that.

Beats me how Punjabi can pack in so much in so few words.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I do not mind teasing Saini ji and never take offense. Thank you for clarifying however. More thank you's for adding your thoughts. Never stop doing it. It adds value when you do that.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
"Beats me how Punjabi can pack in so much in so few words."..............

and SGGS is even more POWER PACKED POETRY...akin to putting the Ocean in a tea spoon....no wonder so many of us find difficulty....when i tell my students that anti-matter is so dense that a tea spoon of it can weigh as much a MILLION Suns or trillion EARTHS..they look at me as if I am mad...and then i see that the SGGS is a clear cut example of how to fill a teaspoon with so much and in plain sight too..wonderful...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM