• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is The Name Of God TIME?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gurfatehji

I spent most of the evening last night in thought of god, there appear to be two gods, one in my head, and an external creator god. I am quite happy with the thought that the one in my head is actually who I am, although my physical presence does not reflect that, so we have another presence, my body. My body clearly has needs and requires it senses to be stimulated, my mind seems to have no needs, but lots of answers. My mind has no hunger, no sexual appetite, it seems just to exist on love, and not even the need to be loved, but the need to show love. My body on the other hand needs love, food, if my mind is the giver, then my body is the taker.

So if I am to establish that this internal purity is in fact a link to god, it clearly is not capable of creation, but I do believe it to be a part of the building blocks of creation, thus linked to god. To be at peace with myself, I do not believe that my body needs to reflect my purity in its entirety, I think that my body and mind need to be free of guilt, in whatever way that is managed, and that is the key to successful living as a sikh, the balance between life and mind, between spirituality and living in the real world. There are those that live in the flesh, and hardly the spirit, and also those that live in the spirit and hardly the flesh, and they are both wrong, and on a path away from the truth, the truth is to combine the purity of the spirit with the fire of the body and create balance, that is the view I formed last night.

Now to god, clearly god is not an old man in the sky, so what is god. I have taken to reading the Hukamnama every day, I have noted that the word Har, Har is mentioned after Gods name, however, I know that Gods name is Sat, the truth, now, then and forever, but what is true, then, now and forever, my eyes looked round the bedroom for inspiration, my wife was watching some american csi type program, dan was lying in the middle of us, alfie was asleep, and virgil was in his corner, my eyes then focused on the clock, time is here now, then and forever, time, is the name of god time?, I lay back and thought about that for a while, how do you worship time, how do you love time?, unless you love that moment, worship that moment, because thats pretty much all you have is that moment.

Curious, I read yesterdays Hukamnana and replaced the mention of Lord, god, creator with the word TIME. It seemed to work, seemed to make sense, in the absence of any personality or physical image of god, could god be time?

I would like to hear from anyone who finds this thinking contrary to sikh belief,

thank you

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
An interesting thought, Harry ji.

This is a rather clumsy wiki but it's a start: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akal

Akal is used frequently when we refer to Waheguru. It's meaning is "timeless". Scientists aren't quite sure about time, some seem to think time goes faster the closer one is to denser matter. Or something. But time is a difficult concept in itself and worth investigating on something other than a touch device whose name shall not be spoken... *hiss*

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
An interesting thought, Harry ji.

This is a rather clumsy wiki but it's a start: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akal

Akal is used frequently when we refer to Waheguru. It's meaning is "timeless". Scientists aren't quite sure about time, some seem to think time goes faster the closer one is to denser matter. Or something. But time is a difficult concept in itself and worth investigating on something other than a touch device whose name shall not be spoken... *hiss*

Many thanks Bhenjis

Yes, this is a non starter, time is clearly not god, although god given and god blessed, although being beyond time gives a slight clue, whatever time is, god is beyond even that, many thanks for the articles sis, very interesting, especially the last one

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Harry ji,

As has already been pointed out, God is said to be beyond time, which makes sense when you think about it. The creator created the creation, before this there was no time. Time is a function of the pshyicality of teh universe. Time is the measurement of rate of decay, and all physical things decay and so cannot escape time.

Gods name though, well I guess it can be whatever you imagine it to be.

We are told that Gods attributes are uncountable, I would say that God's names are as many as there are people to name God.

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011
Dear Harry ji
The answer to your question is NO, God and Time are not same.
The following quotes clearly explains.

For endless eons, there was only utter darkness.
There was no earth or sky; there was only the infinite Command of His Hukam.
There was no day or night, no moon or sun; God sat in primal, profound Samaadhi.

There were no sources of creation or powers of speech, no air or water.

There was no creation or destruction, no coming or going.

There were no continents, nether regions, seven seas, rivers or flowing water. ||2||

There were no heavenly realms, earth or nether regions of the underworld.

There was no heaven or hell, no death or TIME
There was no hell or heaven, no birth or death, no coming or going in reincarnation.

There was no Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva.
No one was seen, except the One Lord.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1035&english=t&id=44288#l44288

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
IMHO Time is an attribute to measure worldly activities. The God aka Waheguru is Timeless, beyond time... Akaal. Mool mantra states this. Probably instead of time, if you replace the Har with other attributes of mool mantra, that should work good too :D

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ok ok , it was a pointless question :)
Harry Haller ji just my hey-penny's worth. I believe "Transformational" is a character that defines all creation with any time scales fast and slow. What lives is a transformation and what dies is a transformation. That is in life forms.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM