• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is The Guru Always God As Per Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Oct 21, 2009
India
isrIrwgu mhlw 5 ] (43-8)
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

GVI muhq kw pwhuxw kwj svwrxhwru ] (43-8, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
For a brief moment, man is a guest of the Lord; he tries to resolve his affairs.

mwieAw kwim ivAwipAw smJY nwhI gwvwru ] (43-8, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
Engrossed in Maya and sexual desire, the fool does not understand.

auiT cilAw pCuqwieAw pirAw vis jMdwr ]1] (43-9, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
He arises and departs with regret, and falls into the clutches of the Messenger of Death. ||1||

AMDy qUM bYTw kMDI pwih ] (43-9, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
You are sitting on the collapsing riverbank-are you blind?

jy hovI pUrib iliKAw qw gur kw bcnu kmwih ]1] rhwau ] (43-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
If you are so pre-destined, then act according to the Guru's Teachings. ||1||Pause||
[In this kline there is a reference to 'Guru' and it may not be the LORD as it Refers to Guru's Teachings'.For a layman like me it may be Guru Granth sahib ji]

hrI nwhI nh ffurI pkI vFxhwr ] (43-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
The Reaper does not look upon any as unripe, half-ripe or fully ripe.

lY lY dwq phuiqAw lwvy kir qeIAwru ] (43-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
Picking up and wielding their sickles, the harvesters arrive.

jw hoAw hukmu ikrswx dw qw luix imixAw Kyqwru ]2] (43-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
When the landlord gives the order, they cut and measure the crop. ||2||

pihlw phru DMDY gieAw dUjY Bir soieAw ] (43-12, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
The first watch of the night passes away in worthless affairs, and the second passes in deep sleep.

qIjY JwK JKwieAw cauQY Boru BieAw ] (43-12, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
In the third, they babble nonsense, and when the fourth watch comes, the day of death has arrived.

kd hI iciq n AwieE ijin jIau ipMfu dIAw ]3] (43-12, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
The thought of the One who bestows body and soul never enters the mind. ||3||

swDsMgiq kau vwirAw jIau kIAw kurbwxu ] (43-13, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
I am devoted to the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; I sacrifice my soul to them.

ijs qy soJI min peI imilAw purKu sujwxu ] (43-14, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
Through them, understanding has entered my mind, and I have met the All-knowing Lord God.
nwnk ifTw sdw nwil hir AMqrjwmI jwxu ]4]4]74] (43-14, isrIrwgu, mÚ 5)
Nanak sees the Lord always with him-the Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts. ||4||4||74||

Oct 21, 2009
India
ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ
सिरीरागु महला ५ ॥
Sirīrāg mėhlā 5.
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭੇ ਥੋਕ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜੇ ਆਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਹਥਿ

सभे थोक परापते जे आवै इकु हथि ॥
Sabẖe thok parāpaṯe je āvai ik hath.
All things are received if the One is obtained.

One is LORD

ਜਨਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਸਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਜੇ ਸਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਥਿ

जनमु पदारथु सफलु है जे सचा सबदु कथि ॥
Janam paḏārath safal hai je sacẖā sabaḏ kath.
The precious gift of this human life becomes fruitful when one chants the True Word of the Shabad.

ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਰਾਪਤੇ ਜਿਸੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਵੈ ਮਥਿ ॥੧॥
गुर ते महलु परापते जिसु लिखिआ होवै मथि ॥१॥
Gur ṯe mahal parāpaṯe jis likẖi▫ā hovai math. ||1||
One who has such destiny written on his forehead enters the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, through the Guru. ||1||

Here the expression 'through the GURU 'is superfluous.as the Gurmukhi Vaak does not include this in explicitly.

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਏਕਸ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ

मेरे मन एकस सिउ चितु लाइ ॥
Mere man ekas si▫o cẖiṯ lā▫e.
O my mind, focus your consciousness on the One.

Here also One referes to the GOD.

ਏਕਸ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਭ ਧੰਧੁ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਮਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

एकस बिनु सभ धंधु है सभ मिथिआ मोहु माइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ėkas bin sabẖ ḏẖanḏẖ hai sabẖ mithi▫ā moh mā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without the One, all entanglements are worthless; emotional attachment to Maya is totally false. ||1||Pause||

ਲਖ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀਆ ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ
लख खुसीआ पातिसाहीआ जे सतिगुरु नदरि करेइ ॥
Lakẖ kẖusī▫ā pāṯisāhī▫ā je saṯgur naḏar kare▫i.
Hundreds of thousands of princely pleasures are enjoyed, if the True Guru bestows His Glance of Grace.

Here also Satguru =GOD
ਨਿਮਖ ਏਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਹੋਇ
निमख एक हरि नामु देइ मेरा मनु तनु सीतलु होइ ॥
Nimakẖ ek har nām ḏe▫e merā man ṯan sīṯal ho▫e.
If He bestows the Name of the Lord, for even a moment, my mind and body are cooled and soothed.

ਜਿਸ ਕਉ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਗਹੇ ॥੨॥

जिस कउ पूरबि लिखिआ तिनि सतिगुर चरन गहे ॥२॥
Jis ka▫o pūrab likẖi▫ā ṯin saṯgur cẖaran gahe. ||2||
Those who have such pre-ordained destiny hold tight to the Feet of the True Guru. ||2||

True Guru in the above is also the Creator

ਸਫਲ ਮੂਰਤੁ ਸਫਲਾ ਘੜੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ

सफल मूरतु सफला घड़ी जितु सचे नालि पिआरु ॥
Safal mūraṯ saflā gẖaṛī jiṯ sacẖe nāl pi▫ār.
Fruitful is that moment, and fruitful is that time, when one is in love with the True Lord.

ਦੂਖੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੁ ਲਗਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ

दूखु संतापु न लगई जिसु हरि का नामु अधारु ॥
Ḏūkẖ sanṯāp na lag▫ī jis har kā nām aḏẖār.
Suffering and sorrow do not touch those who have the Support of the Name of the Lord.

ਬਾਹ ਪਕੜਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਕਾਢਿਆ ਸੋਈ ਉਤਰਿਆ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੩॥
बाह पकड़ि गुरि काढिआ सोई उतरिआ पारि ॥३॥
Bāh pakaṛ gur kādẖi▫ā so▫ī uṯri▫ā pār. ||3||
Grasping him by the arm, the Guru lifts them up and out, and carries them across to the other side. ||3||

Guru here is also LORD
ਥਾਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਥੈ ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ
थानु सुहावा पवितु है जिथै संत सभा ॥
Thān suhāvā paviṯ hai jithai sanṯ sabẖā.
Embellished and immaculate is that place where the Saints gather together.

ਢੋਈ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਨੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਲਭਾ
ढोई तिस ही नो मिलै जिनि पूरा गुरू लभा ॥
Dẖo▫ī ṯis hī no milai jin pūrā gurū labẖā.
He alone finds shelter, who has met the Perfect Guru.

Perfect Guru+GOD
ਨਾਨਕ ਬਧਾ ਘਰੁ ਤਹਾਂ ਜਿਥੈ ਮਿਰਤੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਜਰਾ ॥੪॥੬॥੭੬॥
नानक बधा घरु तहां जिथै मिरतु न जनमु जरा ॥४॥६॥७६॥
Nānak baḏẖā gẖar ṯahāʼn jithai miraṯ na janam jarā. ||4||6||76||
Nanak builds his house upon that site where there is no death, no birth, and no old age. ||4||6||76||

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 21, 2009
India
Merger
One may merge into ‘another’ and the one who is merged into ‘another’, who is bigger than the one who is merged into it, shall not become the one who is bigger and that who is ‘another’ but makes the one merged into it as part of it. The ‘another’ with all the creativity cannot be deemed to pass on the creativity to the one merged into it though the one merged into it may be deemed to be called as an extension or the part of it only and that one merged into it can rightly be called as the ‘merged’ to the extent that ‘merged’ may teach as to how to attain that merger or the union with that ‘another’ in whom everyone wants to be ‘merged’. The tiny droplets of water constitute the ocean but the ocean does not become bigger by such a merger but the droplet becomes part of that bigger whole that we call as ocean. All that is created is created by that ‘whole’ and not by that which, once was created by that whole’, becomes part of it. The consciousness that become merged into the super consciousness cannot become the super-consciousness even though the consciousness merged into the super-consciousness may be deemed to be lost or merged into that super-consciousness. That which is merged into that is whole shall essentially be lost in the one into it is merged i.e. ‘whole’. The ‘one’ had an identity, as given by that another, before that merger takes place but the identity is lost once that merger happens and the ‘one’ into which one is merged shall always remain capable of merger of all that it created out of its creativity. The one merged into ‘anything’ cannot become that ‘anything’. That ‘anything’ was, is and shall remain that ‘anything’. It is the way to reason out the reason of the reasoning offered above. Vague thoughts when crystallized do not remain vague as these have become crystallized.

I Cannot take questions on this and let it go if there is any difference of opinion.I have no proficiency in English language.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
So then stop torturing yourself. Just calmly read SGGS and have a short reflection. In time it all falls together.

Oct 21, 2009
India
Knowing things in the perspective is always a pleasure and taking help is a prerogative of any individual in civil society. It is not necessary that we may argue about the things where we differ. The above matter has been discussed in some other threads at length without conclusion. One may kindly refer to the thread of Nanak is the Guru and the Lord himself.One may hold the view that one intends to and that and one may not always be bound by the advice if it is not solicited. None is an expert in Gurbani nor it is intended. We discuss to understand things where there likely convergence of views. You hold a view that you have expressed and I hold the view that is stated. Since these are 360 degree opposite let it go. I am reading and in doubt am referring here. You may kindly attend if it does not hurt.
We cannot change all that other think but we can always have the right to give the weight that we intend to give to what the other think and that is all we have in our hands.
Shall take care of your valuable suggestion.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I Cannot take questions on this and let it go if there is any difference of opinion.I have no proficiency in English language.

Twinkle ji, you are being too humble of your capabilities, your English is so precise & immaculate that you should seriously consider practicing in the court of Law!! Stop deceiving yourself and enjoy Life!! :happy:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
That which is merged into that is whole shall essentially be lost in the one into it is merged i.e. ‘whole’. The ‘one’ had an identity, as given by that another, before that merger takes place but the identity is lost once that merger happens and the ‘one’ into which one is merged shall always remain capable of merger of all that it created out of its creativity. The one merged into ‘anything’ cannot become that ‘anything’. That ‘anything’ was, is and shall remain that ‘anything’. It is the way to reason out the reason of the reasoning offered above.

Twinkle Ji,

Kabir Ji says,

ਕਬੀਰ ਹਰਦੀ ਪੀਅਰੀ ਚੂੰਨਾਂ ਊਜਲ ਭਾਇ
कबीर हरदी पीअरी चूंनां ऊजल भाइ ॥
Kabīr harḏī pī▫arī cẖūʼnnāʼn ūjal bẖā▫e.
Kabeer, tumeric is yelow, and lime is white.

ਰਾਮ ਸਨੇਹੀ ਤਉ ਮਿਲੈ ਦੋਨਉ ਬਰਨ ਗਵਾਇ ॥੫੬॥
राम सनेही तउ मिलै दोनउ बरन गवाइ ॥५६॥
Rām sanehī ṯa▫o milai don▫o baran gavā▫e. ||56||
You shall meet the Beloved Lord, only when both colors are lost. ||56||

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The consciousness that become merged into the super consciousness cannot become the super-consciousness even though the consciousness merged into the super-consciousness may be deemed to be lost or merged into that super-consciousness.

Twinkle Ji,

Page 27, Line 4
ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੋ ਮਿਲਿ ਰਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨਉ ਆਪੇ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥
सबदि मिलै सो मिलि रहै जिस नउ आपे लए मिलाइ ॥
Sabaḏ milai so mil rahai jis na▫o āpe la▫e milā▫e.
One whom the Lord merges into Himself is merged in the Shabad, and remains so merged.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Taranjit Singh ji,

Are you one and the same Taranjeet singh ji, another forum member?

p/s Aman Singh did remove the photo and replaced it with another image.

onybiz

SPNer
Feb 3, 2011
Admin Ji,

No, I am not 'Taranjeet', my name is 'Taranjit' [Jeet - hindi word. Jit- punjabi word]. I am new in this group, and found this website yesterday and created member account to send email to admin.

I am Thankful to Aman Singh ji deleted for changing profile avtar.

Gurfateh
Taranjit Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well thank you for joining SPN. And I hope you stay long enough to enjoy discussions, now that the matter of your photo has been addressed to your satisfaction. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: